Menu

Hello Forum Folks,

The Well-Trained Mind team is committed to helping you and your children navigate the wilds of education...whether through these forums, our books and audio products, our online courses, or our website.
 As part of that commitment, we are always looking for new ways to bring content to you. Can you help us?
If you post a response to any or all of the following queries, you'll be entered to win one of five Well-Trained Mind tote bags we're giving away!

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?
What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?
How long, on average, are these videos?

And:
For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?

Thank you for your help! We'll announce the winners by December 7th.

Justin and the folks at The Well-Trained Mind

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? I like to find curricula with suggested free video content supplement lists. (Wile's Chemistry, BYL, etc.) 

Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education? Not in the past few years, but I did in the beginning. I needed quite a bit of help learning to teach certain math styles. 

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)? Yes, about 25% of the time

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? TedEd, Veritasium, SciShow, Numberphile, CGP Grey

Why? They are entertaining and many include animation. 

How long, on average, are these videos? 3-12 minutes

For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)? Primarily YouTube. 

Hello Forum Folks,

The Well-Trained Mind team is committed to helping you and your children navigate the wilds of education...whether through these forums, our books and audio products, our online courses, or our website.

As part of that commitment, we are always looking for new ways to bring content to you. Can you help us?

If you post a response to any or all of the following queries, you'll be entered to win one of five Well-Trained Mind tote bags we're giving away!

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?
What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?

And:

For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?

In the past we have used Derek Owens for math because of the video lectures and someone grading homework and tests.  Before DO we used Teaching Textbooks, again, for the video instruction.

We have used Khan Academy videos, mostly for math, but for peeking at other content.  We have used YouTube for specific topics and also to see what we could find.  We have used Great Courses lectures (I especially loved inflicting the archaeological ones upon my kids!).

Videos we have watched for school purposes range from just a few minutes to half-hour lectures, with some hour or two-hour shows added as enrichment or to see a production of something they have read.  My kids love a good story (like me), and visually engaging seems to especially work well for my eldest.  Visual aids are quite helpful.

My younger teen is working on learning sign language, largely through ASLU (online and self-paced).  My eldest is learning French and I was contemplating trying an online class, but I have found in-person classes near us I would like to try first.  I think she will enjoy them more and learn the language more readily with people IRL with which to practice.

We use a mixture of paid and free sources.  If there's something I find through a paid service (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) that I want to incorporate into our school then I will use it.  These paid services have been largely for entertainment, however, and not primarily for school.  Great Courses are paid (though many could be checked out through the library) and certain courses have been purchased specifically for school.  GC, however, is MY pet, more for my own edification.  

I think when I first started preparing to homeschool I looked into YouTube videos on the subject, but once I found TWTM forums I found my most valuable resource for teacher development.  People will link to YouTube videos on various topics, and if I have time and interest I'll go watch the videos.

I hope this helps.  I'm writing a bit distracted right now, so I'm afraid it's a little fragmentary and scattered.

I tend to prefer written text (either in blog articles or paper books/magazines) for parenting and homeschooling "how to" sorts of things, but I do sometimes use videos in education.  

We don't really do a lot of documentaries, but if we did, we'd use Netflix, Amazon Prime, or YouTube.  Sometimes we use Khan Academy videos for explanations of things.  I've used things like Bill Nye via Netflix for science.

I tend to use YouTube for short snippets of things, like examples of music or dancing from a particular time period, for history.  My husband often uses YouTube for showing the children music/guitar-related videos.  

I don't really have any favorites, although I'm more likely to use official videos.  For instance, in looking for a sample of colonial music and dancing, we used one that someone had taken of a street performance by the official Colonial Williamsburg people.  Other people might have made videos of what they called colonial music or dancing, but I always feel like something official has been vetted for accuracy, and so it will warrant a look when I'm scrolling through a list.  Also, something more official feels like it's been vetted for appropriateness; I know, for instance, that I can send my son to look at videos recommended by Ellen J. McHenry and know that there will not be something inappropriate in them.

I watch video reviews (often on YouTube) of curricula I am considering.

Yes.  CNN10, Hoffman Academy Piano, Salsa Spanish, Knowitall.org Spanish, AOPS math videos, various Spanish and art instruction videos on YouTube.  My kids also watch documentary and educational shows.

Videos watched on a daily basis are often 5-15 minutes long.  Shows like Bill Nye and Magic School Bus are ~25 minutes.  Documentaries may be longer, but they are less frequently watched. 

The videos we use as part of the school day mostly come from YouTube and other free sources.  We use Netflix for documentaries and educational shows (and lots of entertainment). We have access to Amazon Prime, but rarely use it.

I'll try to answer both of these at once.  Yes, I watch videos on education, parenting, and skill development.  I've yet to see any on homeschooling that is applicable to our situation (classical & secular).

My current homeschooler is young, so he doesn't do online classes yet except a year or so of Mystery Science.  Right now I have a list of videos I pull from for science/history.

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? How long, on average, are these videos?
TED Talks- diverse and on nearly any topic. Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
Animated History With Pipo - goes very well as a review for SOTW.  They're under 15 minutes
Khan Academy - short explanations to integrate with a subject.
Untamed Science - short biome videos (10 minutes-ish)
Horrible Science - lol, the gross and disgusting aspect appeals to my 7yo.  30 minutes.

And:

Both.  We have Amazon Prime and Netflix, but if I can't find it on there I turn to Youtube.

My kids range from 8-16 years old and we use these things in different ways for the different ages/grades.

Streaming video content - usually, this is a supplement in the pre-high school years. When following rabbit trails, we'll use YouTube. In some cases, links are provided already in the curriculum/book (such as with Internet Linked texts or Ellen McHenry materials). In other cases, we have favorites (Econ Movies, Crash Course videos, CNN10) that we return to again and again. These videos range from just a few seconds long to 10 minutes maximum.

The thread that ties all of our favorites together is that they either teach or review content in a way that is fun and/or funny.

For high school, we've integrated Great Course videos (and audio content) into course studies. These are usually 30 minutes each and that is a good length for this age. We also use video content when the student needs more information about a concept. We've used Youtube, mostly, but also Bozeman Science videos, Khan Academy, and other explanatory content sites.)

For high school, we use content that we are confident is appropriate and accurate. Great Courses form an important backbone to many self-made home classes.

We have Amazon Prime, but haven't used it for educational purposes.

I sometimes watch videos on education or parenting if they come up when I'm trying to find a solution to a specific issue I'm having or something I'm interested in comes up. My kids can usually tell when I've fallen down the youtube rabbit holes when all the recommendations have women in the preview boxes rather than their music or minecraft  :lol: 

Yes, sometimes I will look up videos to have as part of my planned areas particularly for areas where I think the visuals will be good [health and body knowledge certainly benefits as do most science topics here] and other times I will look up videos if they have a question I'm struggling to answer well enough. 

I don't think I have a favourite presenter for education or parenting related topics. My kids are very fond of ASAP Science and Crash Course for Kids. I do like when I find good resources from the local universities. 

This varies widely. If it's just trying to get a quick answer, it will likely be less than 5 minutes, if it's part of the programme or something someone is really interested in, they can be however long up to full hour+ documentaries. 

I mainly use free services like YouTube and BBCiplayer though I do at times use Netflix for some documentaries occasionally. 

We only watch videos as supplementary, currently, with the exception of piano instruction.

Not as the main lesson, but to reinforce some things, yes.

Lots of discovery channel and history channel videos.

1 hr, but we often break it up over several days.

Primarily free ones, but occasionally paid ones.

I mainly use streaming video as a supplement to topics we are studying and to access presentations about homeschooling.

I prefer watching a speaker here and there to travelling to a conference.

Yes, we use videos that are part of a prepared curriculum (CAP Latin) and I find videos that are related to our history and science studies for the week.

We all love the Latin videos from Classical Academic Press. Dr. Perrin is passionate about the subject and has a style that is friendly to kids but doesn't talk down to them. I love that my kids can have access to a skilled teacher but we can work on our schedule and I've been surprised at how they interact and talk with the videos. It has the feel of being in a classroom with someone who really wants you to learn. It is a great way for my kids to experience a teacher.

The Great Courses Plus has been a big hit here in two ways: 1. For me to quickly learn about a topic before studying it with the kids or to get a deeper understanding for my own satisfaction, and 2. Even my 8 year olds have enjoyed several of the courses. We don't read the guides, supplemental material, or do any of the corresponding assignments. For the kids it is just streaming video. Most notably, they have gotten into:

Jeremy Silman's Chess course. He's funny and a grandmaster which makes him likeable with genuine knowledge AND an insider scoop of the chess world. He's not merely presenting a lecture. I think my som is currently watching for a 3rd time.

Stephen Ressler's Everyday Engineering and

Greek and Roman Technology. He always has great models, photos, and animations. His explanations are clear and he is passionate and excited about the topics. The kids got pulled into watching his lectures after I showed them one about Roman aqueducts.

Other than Vi Hart, I can't think of any YouTuber that we we have felt like watching all/most of their videos. Her videos have a unique style that is both fun and thought provoking. It feels like having having an interesting dinner guest. Metatron has made several that we like. He is inspiring in his study of languages and interest in historical armour. But most of the time our YouTube watching is driven by a search for a specific topic. Travel videos and historical landmarks come up often as well as videos of science experiments that are related to experiments we do. The best are from people who have better equipment than we do, are subject matter experts (either amateur or professional), and are passionate about the topic.

I usually check Curiosity Stream and Amazon Prime for documentaries. Curiosity Stream usually has a better choice, but most of what we end up watching is not related to our more formal studies. Most of that content is watched for pleasure.

5min to 90min

10 to 15 minutes seems to be good for videos I use during our more formal time.

Hello Forum Folks,

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts?

Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

*** No

*** Yes

*** we use freesciencelessons.org.uk as it is aligned with the books we use (IGCSE Science texts)

***5-7 minutes

And:

*** free ones but would maybe willing to pay for something aligned with a text per chapter. That if there is part we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand We donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t loose time with searching for Ă¢â‚¬Ëœthe right videoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢

I don't watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education.  We do watch youtube videos to answer various questions or explore topics and ideas.

I like Khan Academy for some math explanations; we don't use Math U See for math but sometimes they have a video here or there that explains a concept that wasn't getting through otherwise.  What I like in a program or channel is clear organization of topics and simple graphic presentation

5 minutes for a simple math question to an hour for a mini-doc about a topic.

We have Amazon Prime but I haven't found a ton of useful video on it; we don't pay for anything else, although I have bought some Great Courses video lectures.  Mostly we use youtube.

We don't use any screens for our educational day and I personally don't watch any videos on education however I do listen to podcasts on educational topics and will occasionally use you tube for music I am streaming for our fine arts part of our day.

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?  NO

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?  Don't use any except for streaming some music

And:
For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?  You Tube, Amazon Prime usually are not longer than 5-10 minutes.

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?Almost never, but when wed do, it is with much wailing and gnashing of teeth. We live in the no-man's land where DSL is available, but about as reliable and fast as dial-up, and satellite is prohibitive due to cost and poor customer service. If I pull up a video to watch, the lag time is insane.

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)? Recorded videos (DVDs) yes. I am looking into purchasing Virtual Instructor for art next year. I was particularly interested in the ability to download content and watch it later without required internet access--that is absolutely key for me. As it stands, any class that would require internet access to be more or less continuous would be a no-go for me.
What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? I have used You-Tube for short science demonstrations. I want instructors or presenters who don't waffle around or waste time--(that lag thing). I like a lot of visual demonstration of the material and less talking through the material.
How long, on average, are these videos? If I watch a demonstration or a lesson (let's say I was watching a short lecture on creative writing or drawing portraits) I want them 30 minutes or less. Anything longer than that, and I'm liable to lose internet, or lose patience, whichever comes first.

And:
For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)? Free is always my preferred option, but I would pay for materials that I could download and review at leisure off-line.

I enjoy adding streaming videos that correlate to the studies that our family is doing at the present.  We probably watch a compatable video biweekly or in spurts of daily if it is a series (Liberty Kids videos on youtube,ect.)  My oldest also watches free Math videos on youtube or Khan Academy.

Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

I love watching how other mothers(or fathers-lol) choose to grow their families and homeschools, as well as encouraging mothers to contifue their educations as well.

Yes, occasionally for mathematics, but if history or science correlates that is awesome to.

YouTube- Darci Isabella, TheFallCoFamily, Parsnips and Parsimony, and There's No Place Like Home channels.  I also like Blimey Cow, but it is just funny.
5-10 minutes, unless it is a video series or documentary.

And:

We mostly use YouTube and other free programs, but if something was made with quality I would definitely consider the addition.

-We use video streaming for piano lessons, our science spine and supplementary science, current events, and general supplements.

-not really. I prefer audio or text for that usually.

-yes

-Hoffman Academy, Mystery Science, Cosmic Kids Yoga (YouTube), CNN Student News (YouTube)

-Hoffman Academy has video lessons integrated with practice assignments with log-ins for each of my kids, which makes it very "do the next thing" and usable for me.

-Mystery Science is also very "do the next thing" but allows for customization and jumping around, which is good for science.

How long, on average, are these videos?[/font]

-About 10 minutes

-I use some of both. If the content/service is good, I'm willing to pay.

Living in a rural area without access to internet speeds that can consistently support streaming video, I prefer to be able to download video content. It is frustrating to watch a video that is constantly interupted by buffering.

Sometimes I use small clips or downloaded videos, again the buffering thing...

I don't really have any favorites but I don't like presenters that have a tendency to go off on tangent after tangent, however funny or interesting to them these side stories may be, instead of just getting to the main topic of the video which is usually the whole reason I wanted to watch in the first place.

If it is something that must be streamed to watch, 20 minutes or less is about the limit for our slow internet speeds.

If it is for the kids and can be downloaded, I usually keep it 30 minutes or less.

If it is a video for me or a serial that we might binge watch, the length doesn't really matter as long as it is downloadable.

And:

For streaming, mostly Youtube

Edited by sweet2ndchance

I use video for my own enrichment and training. Homeschooling, teaching skills, educational philosophy etc. I listen to podcasts more often, though. 

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)? Occasionally. Mostly for science and history. More often for bonus learning/edutainment in addition to or outside of lesson time. 

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? PBS, YouTube, various classical providers such as Circe, WTM etc.

How long, on average, are these videos? 2-40 minutes. 

For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?  Amazon Prime, but only because the streaming comes with the shipping service. I would not pay extra for access to the videos we use. 

I very rarely use streaming videos for schooling, but when I do it is isually free from YouTube or through Hoopla, using my library card through which we can borrow five free videos a month. If your content was on Hoopla, I would definitely use it.

Edited by ikslo

1) How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

I primarily used it to provide content for my daughter.

2) Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?

Yes.

3) What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?

In elementary, I used things like BrainPop, Discovery Education, Lonely Planet, and HistoryTeachers' music videos because they kept her interest.

Starting in early middle school, I would sometimes pull in videos from Coursera (Bloomfield's "How Things Work" for instance), PBS, Annenberg Learners, etc. Having video material really enriched the experience for her.

Moving into high school, we used Ken Burns, Great Courses, Great Courses Plus, Khan Academy, Coursera, edX, Crash Course, Digital Theatre Plus, and others. This was the point at which she did best with the lecture format of Great Courses.

4) How long, on average, are these videos?

They ranged from a few minutes to an hour plus.

5) For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime because we already paid for them for other reasons, and then free when at all possible for others. We got in on the beta for Great Courses Plus so we had that free for a while.

Edited by KarenNC

1) How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts?

supplement or part of MOOC

2) Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education?

no

3) Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?
 yes sometimes
4) What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?
 Kahn Academy,  Youtube  - they are free and easy to find
5) How long, on average, are these videos?
  5-10 min

And:
6) For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)?

free - for now paid is entertainment only

I use it as a supplement, mostly for history and science studies, but also have used it for math.

I have on rare occasion, but I prefer audio for educational how-to for the parent. I can pop SWB's audio lectures onto my phone with some headphones and clean the house. If the help is in video form, I'm less likely to use it. Can't really multitask that well while watching a video. :)

Yes, we use Art of Problem Solving videos as part of one child's math. Another child is doing chemistry via a website that has a video at the end of each lesson. Sometimes are history or science curriculum will suggest a video. And sometimes I just decide to have us watch a documentary that may or may not have anything to do with what we're studying at that moment.

Most of the supplemental videos are 5-15 minutes in length. Documentaries will be 45ish minutes and possibly several episodes in length.

We use Amazon Prime, Netflix, and free Youtube.

No.  Reading is faster.  

I supplemented BFSU lessons with Bill Nye videos.  Also Bozeman Science for middle and high school.  

Bill Nye because he could demonstrate science concepts that are difficult for me to do at home.  

30 min.  

And:

I had tried Discovery Education (paid), but found them uninspired and schooly.  The free ones on YouTube are far superior: creative and interesting.  

If you mean in my own personal education I use YouTube a lot. I have several homeschooling families that I follow for organizational tips around the house and homeschooling and meal planning ideas. For some reason, seeing someone make a recipe and showing how easy it is in the context of a homeschool family that knows the demands of running a multi age homeschool home while running kids to and fro and balancing a zero pay double full time job helps me a lot more than reading a recipe or watching cooking shows on TV! Parenting- well, I like these videos to see how they organize their homes, which includes a bit of parenting as it relates to homeschooling. I get parenting tips by watching them talk to their kids and such, but not really anything teaching me anything in particular. As for skills- I haven't used videos to teach myself much yet. When I have it has been to watch YouTube for art journaling ideas. For homeschooling- I also like YouTube vloggers that show how they use certain curricula in their home. I like to see how they tied projects into their plans and which books they choose for supplementing their spines. I get great ideas of books I wouldn't have known about. 

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)? Yes, occasionally. 
What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? Besides a full time class, my dd is using Mr. D's math as her full time class, but she is not logged in as a student. We have access to the videos and to print the papers through SchoolHouseTeachers dot com. So we access it as needed.  We watch several documentary series for history. 
How long, on average, are these videos? geometry teaching videos- 20 min or less. history documentaries are generally around 30 min. during school hours. We may watch longer ones on weekends but the kids don't sit for those as often as I watch them, lol. 

And:
For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)? Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, RightNowMedia are ones I use a lot. In the past I have used Kahn Academy, but not this year. 

I've watched a few videos here and there. Nothing consistent or from a specific program. 

Not as part of a curriculum. We pull up YouTube videos to learn more about specific interests. 

YouTube

1-20 minutes

And:

YouTube

I do sometimes watch videos about homeschooling or education. I guess parenting too, if you count videos about parenting special needs. I haven't done a streaming content for myself. 

Yes, I do use video clips in lessons. Sometimes I use them to primarily to add interest to a book based lesson, and sometimes for actual content. 

We sometimes use CNN10 for current events--they are high interest for the kids, and we've had a lot of bunny trail type learning come from this. We have used youtube channels Veritasium, Minute Physics, CrashCourses, TED talks, AsapScience, TechInsider, BBC Earth and similar. I will often look on youtube when we need additional explanation or instruction.  We've learned a lot with a high interest video as a spring board.

Sometimes we're learning something in school or read something on the news that needs further clarity, and a video we find can often help in those situations as well. This is probably our most common way of using video content, and there is no typical provider for that. We've found those kinds of things in the youtube channels I mentioned above, and in similar youtube produced content. 

Kids? I like 5-10 minutes for videos that are meant to supplement lessons. Videos I watch that are geared toward parents range higher. I prefer videos under 30 minutes, and shorter than that is better. 

And:

Primarily I use youtube. We do use Amazon Prime as well for documentary type videos. 

Edited by sbgrace

I don't like to watch videos about teaching, unless they are demonstrating something that is hard to understand without seeing it.  I feel sheepish about watching something about how I'm going to teach my kids in front of them (and don't have a lot of time on the computer when they aren't there), and I just don't like watching how to video that much.  I MUCH prefer podcasts...things I can listen to while doing other things and don't have to look at it.  I always listen to podcasts while doing laundry (and the kids rarely interrupt me there).  I can also listen to things with earphones while watching my kids at the park.  Audio is SO MUCH MORE useful to me than video content, which requires my full attention.

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)?    What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? How long, on average, are these videos?

Yes! For my visual child, video is a great learning resource.  We watch you-tube videos all the time to supplement our learning.

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why?  How long, on average, are these videos?

Extra Credit History is my favorite  supplement Story of the World.  Actually, even my older kids in public school liked to watch it.   It's funny, but extremely well-done (funny, but they will pull in the serious at times...it's a nice balance, and they dealt with issues like the Crusades).  It deals with some of the lesser known, but just as important, parts of history.       My older son also likes Crash Course, though I don't use it as much for my younger son because I feel like it packs in so much he will miss a lot, and now and then it gets a little off-color.   TedEd has some amazing videos for history (and science too).  TICE art history is another great animated series that pulls in the history and cultural signifigance behind the art.  We also use random short videos, often showing places (I read the most of the chapter on the Indus River Valley while watching areal shots of the actual Indus Valley, with soft Indian Music in the background.  Felt like a Nat Geo narrator, but it kept him engaged.      I like short videos on narrow topics best (3-15 minute long).  My son will watch some longer material (Bill Nye, some longer shows like "How we got to now"  that used to be on Netflix, and Historical movies), but shorter fits into our lessons better and keeps his attention.

And:

We're on Netflix mainly for entertainment, but most of my resources come from YouTube.   Netflix stuff is so long it's not often useful for lessons, but sometimes my kids have watched some of the animal documentaries in their spare time.

Edited by goldenecho

How do you use streaming video content in your educational efforts? Do you watch videos about homeschooling, parenting, skill development, or education? We use very little streaming video content but if we do it is usually educational videos about something specific to a lesson.

Do you use videos with your children as part of your lessons (not counting full online classes such as Well-Trained Mind Academy)? Only occasionally to add more information about a lesson.

What are your favorite programs/channels/presenters for this type of content? Why? We use very few online videos so typically it is just from searching for a specific topic and then looking through the results for the relevant video.

How long, on average, are these videos? A couple of minutes.

And:

For this content, do you use paid services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, other [please describe]) or primarily free ones (YouTube, etc)? Never paid services. We use very little video content.

I'll preface this by saying that my daughter is now a college graduate.

We used no streaming content.

We used both an SAT test prep video series as well as a study skills series.

We also used a number of DVDs to augment my daughter's history studies; these included documentaries as well as movies.

Videos we used ranged from thirty minutes to several hours long.

And:

We generally used DVDs that we checked out of the library.

Regards,

Kareni

We don't.   I'd be interested in supplemental videos, i.e. documentaries.   But, I don't know what is worthwhile.  Also, DD is only 7.   

We don't

:

We have Hulu and Netflix, and if I knew of good documentaries we'd watch them.  I looked and couldn't find anything worthwhile.   I am leery of YouTube because innocent things have dark/bad things offered next to them.  

Hello Forum Folks,

And:

I tend to read rather than watch videos.

We use videos for part of the lessons, dd just finished a 90 hour nursing course online that was streaming video. We use Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube on our Roku device.

Edited for grammar

Edited by Sandwalker

We usually use videos to supplement what we are learning. At this point, we only occasionally use them for actual instruction as my oldest prefers face to face instruction and I prefer it with the ages of my younger ones (10 and under)

Yes, as of now ds uses streaming videos with his grammar program (Grammar Revolution) and I use them to supplement our studies.

I usually have the best luck on Netflix for documentaries. I use YouTube for short clips. My BluRay player supports YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon so I can stream easily so I prefer them for longer videos. If it is a video that goes along with a curriculum for just one kid it doesn't really matter because they will watch it on the laptop. 

Documentaries/Educational shows 20-45 min. Clips and short films, like ds' grammar videos or Crash Course History, for example, 5-10 min.

And:

I use Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube and various other websites.
Edited by soror

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all very much for your responses! These are helpful to us.

The following users have won a free WTM Tote bag:

ThatBookwormMom

Boscopup

2_girls_mommy

HomeAgain

KaleSprouts

If you are one of those users, please contact us at info@welltrainedmind.com or at 1.877.322.3445 to claim your prize and provide us with an address to which we can send the tote.