Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW47: Happy Thanksgiving

Robin M

Goodness -- is it Tuesday already? And I thought it was Halloween just yesterday. How can it be Thanksgiving week already?  

Today is my first utterly free day in quite a long time. I started reading through the thread but thought I'd better post my recap then catch up with y'all while I eat lunch.

I'm really enjoying Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer, the third book and newest tome in his Stormlight Archive series. I was worried that I would need to read some summaries from the previous 2 books before launching into this one, but he does a terrific job of adding just enough background and exposition. You could start the series here in book 3 and not feel lost. The other thing he does exceptionally well is world building -- I think he is one of the best in the epic fantasy business. You are totally immersed, nothing is explained -- it just exists and it makes sense. It is still full of cliches and some clunky dialog, so not at all great literature, but it is a whole lot of fun. I'm listening to it, though may have to find a print copy to mix it up a bit --- it is 55 hours, I think, about 5 hours shorter than War and Peace!

Oh -- wait a minute. ErinE -- did you really make it all the way through Oathbringer already?!!  Did you download it straight to your brain or something?!!  I sometimes prefer the print versions of Sanderson so I can skim some of that clunky stuff.  My ds in Japan is listening to it, too, and it has been fun to shoot him comments on sections I'm reading (listening to) and get his reactions in return. And I like your description of his writing better than what I just wrote. 

Not reading much of anything else. It's been a hectic music week between church gigs and an opera. And with Christmas around the corner, I'm already working on music for holiday gigs.

Mothersweets -- you and I continue to enjoy the same books. I also got a kick out of Agent to the Stars. I don't love all Scalzi books, but I did enjoy that one, Red Shirts and Fuzzy Nation which featured an intelligent race of cats or cat-like creatures (its been awhile since I last listened to it).

We are off to the desert with the dog for Thanksgiving, where it is supposed to be over 90!! I'm planning on chilling out, listening to Sanderson, maybe reading a print book, and getting some knitting or other crafty stuff done.  

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 10

Thank you my dears.  Hubby took James out shopping yesterday as well as surprising me by cleaning our oven yesterday while I was at work.   He's cooking cornish game hens for dinner. Such a wonderful guy, I think I'll keep him.

Congratulations Kathy on bingo blackout!  I'll get your bingo prize into the mail within the next couple weeks.

Great selection of books for both you and Matryoshka!  

Mum:   Bingo question......I was under the impression that the Ancient book could be set in ancient times also which is why I choose Sarum. If I am wrong no worries because I will switch.

Is that Rutherfurd's huge book, the Novel of England?  It looks quite interesting!  Yes, you are good with Sarum. 

Amy: How about doing WWI book of poetry or novel during November for Veterans/Remembrance Day? 

Good idea, I'll make a note of it.  Which I forgot to do with other selections in earlier threads but now can't find them because the search feature won't find anything for me in threads from this year.  Grrrr!   I'll just have to work my way backwards.  

Mothersweets:  I'm thankful for the good health of my family (my oldest dd was diagnosed and treated for cancer in 2015/16 and has since had a clean bill of health!) and my oldest son is getting married next year to a lovely young woman. :)

Yes, much to be thankful for.   :grouphug:

Shawn:  I am finishing up the audio version of The Handmaid's Tale (narration by Claire Danes) while crocheting a Christmas afghan for my oldest daughter. I'm taking sneak peaks at the Hulu version of the story but I don't want to get too far until I finish the actual book. I read this when it first came out and of course it's a much different read now that I'm much older and have a wider view of the world.

I read it way back in the 80's when it came out too.  Now that you mention the difference with reading now, I probably should reread.  

• Like 9

OK, I will give this a try!

I don't want to offend anyone but for my answer at least I would like to set the Bible to one side and essentially put it out of the running because for me it would be all to easy to give that as my answer. I am very grateful but I want to go in a different direction.

My answer isn't going to be terribly deep and profound but since I happened to read Robin's post before leaving on a walk I have thought about this a bit.

Another obvious answer would be the WTM which obviously brought us all together here on BaW which I am very grateful for. Wtm also to some degree made the home education journey that has been so important in my family's life possible. It gave me ideas when I had none and that book truly held my hand when I moved to a place where home education wasn't seen as quite the academic event I wanted it to be. It kept me from quitting several times.

But I am going to give a possibility silly answer in some people's eyes with a bit of background. My oldest brother is not someone who reads for fun. He most likely has some sort of an undiagnosed reading disability but did well enough in school so no one worried tremendously. I was also a late reader who thanks to my big brother could have easily been allowed to simply follow behind him. ;). The place we were living when I was in second grade was rural and remote which equaled no public library. My school was the afterthought of not a great school district but it had a small library stocked with what were probably the discards of the rest of the district. I don't want to paint a picture of having no access to books or no one read to me because that was not the case at all. My mom loved books and I had many but I simply had no motivation beyond being read to. I don't remember ever reading to myself for pleasure until I checked The Boxcar Children out of my school library. I was required to check a book out and pulled that one off the shelf because it was red. :). See I even remember why I picked it. I ended up loving it and read it many times while I was at that school. I also started devouring books after that and a public library branch was built the following summer.

So I will give the really weird answer of The Boxcar Children because it opened my eyes to the joy of reading for pleasure which changed my life.

What wonderful memories and so happy you shared them with us.  Not silly at all and that one book had a profound influence on the rest of your reading life.  

The question of the day is really a deep one! I'm still thinking about it ...

:001_wub:

I didn't realize how deep it was until started to think about it and realized totally depends on what phase of life I am in which book or books touched or influenced or opened my eyes to the world or to how I think.  Tomorrow I'll have a answer of sorts. 

Today my mind has been full of numbers as had to finish an annual financial review for SBA.  I'll be so happy when three years is up so we can refinance.  Bookwise, I did finish Faith Hunter's Curse on the Land this morning.  So much action and twists and turns, had to read it slowly to take it all in.  

• Like 7

Congrats on the Bingo blackouts. I love seeing what people chose. My bingo card had two overlaps with Lady Florida (News of the World and Dr. Z) and seven with Matroyoshka (News of the World, Dr. Z, The Bear and the Nightingale, Evicted, Palace of Illusions, Radiance, and The Handmaid’s Tale). It is funny to me that sometimes I had the same books in different boxes.

• Like 8

Congrats on the Bingo blackouts. I love seeing what people chose. My bingo card had two overlaps with Lady Florida (News of the World and Dr. Z) and seven with Matroyoshka (News of the World, Dr. Z, The Bear and the Nightingale, Evicted, Palace of Illusions, Radiance, and The Handmaid’s Tale). It is funny to me that sometimes I had the same books in different boxes.

I had two overlaps with Matryoshka (News of the World, Stories of Your Life and Others) which we used for the same squares. There were also several of her books that I've read but not for bingo.

• Like 8

I'm thankful for the good health of my family (my oldest dd was diagnosed and treated for cancer in 2015/16 and has since had a clean bill of health!) and my oldest son is getting married next year to a lovely young woman. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my BaW friends!

Mothersweets, I am so happy to read about your daughter’s clean bill of health. I had cancer, and can only begin to imagine my child having cancer. Hugs to you. And congrats on the joyful wedding news. Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

Congrats to Lady Florida and Matryoshka on the Bingo Blackouts!

And Happy Belated Birthday to Robin.

I did enjoy seeing which of the books on the above bingo cards I had also read (one overlap with Lady Florida - The Cellist of Sarajevo -  but it was a book I read about 5 years ago) and 6 overlaps with Matryoshka (3 read this year - All Our Wrong Todays, Radiance, Evicted - , although I think I'm only using two of those on my Bingo and 3 read in previous years - Homegoing, Miss Garnet's Angel and Station Eleven).

I am slogging through the current books I'm reading.

Two of them are shelf project books and not enjoyable as one is horrifying due to the attitudes in the Canadian publishing world in the 1950s (can you say casual sexism and racism?) and one is equally horrifying because it just seems skeevy and wrong although I do occasionally find a bit of the writing to be well done and there's enjoy of that to keep me going.  The third book I'm reading is one I read about here perhaps - At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider - and I have to say that although it's going faster than the other two, I do feel like it's pretty light and skims the surface of a lot of things (and maybe I'm jealous that she got to travel around the world with her family for a year and my pettiness is colouring my reading of the book).

I really want to get started on my Prime Number book so I need to finish one of the above as I can't handle having more than 3 books on the go at any one time.

• Like 8

I'm thankful for the good health of my family (my oldest dd was diagnosed and treated for cancer in 2015/16 and has since had a clean bill of health!) and my oldest son is getting married next year to a lovely young woman. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my BaW friends! 

Happy joys and news!

Audible has announced the Narrator Hall of Fame. Two of my favorite narrators are there - Davina Porter and Simon Vance. I love Jim Dale's narration of Harry Potter but I haven't heard anything else he narrates. I know several people who don't like his HP narration but I have a special place in my heart for him. Our little family of 3 used to listen to those audio books over and over whenever we traveled by car a good distance*. We did this for several years and we all have fond memories of those times. Alan Cumming is on the list and while I haven't listened to any books he narrated I can imagine he would be lovely to listen to.

*I'm currently listening to The Goblet of Fire because I couldn't decide what to listen to next after I finished my other audio book yesterday. 

We love Simon Vance. Of course Jim Dale too. I listened to The Night Circus simply because he narrated it.  

Hello my lovelies!   Question of the day:  

What book are you most grateful for?

WTM is a huge one for me. It completely set the stage for homeschooling. I floundered before I read it. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 8

Good afternoon, my dears.  Doing the clean the house top to bottom dash since didn't have time to do any yesterday.  So much fun, especially when get distracted by suddenly decluttering of the hall closet. Don't you hate when you grab one thing and suddenly you have a pile of stuff at your feet.   :svengo:  At least it's well organized now. Hubby cooked rock cornish hens for dinner last night which we enjoyed with a delicious French wine - Chateau-Duhart-Milon.  The guys got me along with a couple games, Lisa Scottoline's Exposed and David Handler's The Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes.   One sister gave me  A Secret Sisterhood: The Literary Friendships of Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, George Eliot, and Virginia Woolf.   

Gave the question of what book am I grateful for and one that has helped me with communication throughout the years is - Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.  Silly, but true. Learning anyone's communication style, whether direct or indirect, logical or emotional, helps lead to understanding.  (Most of the time)   :tongue_smilie:

Back to cleaning!  TTFN!

• Like 9

Just popping in to wish our American BaWers a Happy Thanksgiving. I'm working on the side dishes I've been assigned (actually I signed up for them). We'll go to dss' house tomorrow, which is about an hour away. He and his wife took over hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas 5 years ago when their oldest was born. I always loved hosting but was just as happy to turn it over to the next generation. It also makes the "which grandparent do we go to this year"? problem moot because both sides of the family meet at their house. Fortunately we all get along really well.

So instead of getting up early to get the bird in the oven and other prep I can read until it's time to leave. :)

Wishing you all a lovely day whether you're spending it with extended family or just your own immediate family. 

I'm thankful for you all.

• Like 10

Just popping in to say I'll be AWOL for a few days because my family decided we'd rent a rustic cabin and go camping for Thanksgiving.

Good news! DH did all the packing while I got my work stuff done.

Even better news! He brought all the books I wanted to read on the trip.

No so good news. He forgot my sleeping bag. Luckily it's only going to be 40 degrees tonight. 

Ah well. I'll have my kindle to keep me warm. And a brand new sleeping bag from the only camping store in the nearby town. 

So let me with everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I'm so thankful for my book loving friends here on BaW.

• Like 10

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!!! I want to add that I am very thankful for all of you. I wish you all a lovely time with family and friends, safe journeys, and productive Black Friday shopping if that's in your plans!

Robin, it sounds like you had a lovely birthday meal. I love Cornish Hen.....oddly not really a choice in England. :lol: Yes, the Sarum I am trying hard to finish is the 1000 plus page Rutherford.

• Like 7

I stayed up late last night and finished Rosemary and Rue which is the first in the October Days series that both ErinE and Robin have really enjoyed. All I can say is while I liked it a whole lot her InCryptid series is still my favorite! ;)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6294549-rosemary-and-rue

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11402002-discount-armageddon

• Like 9

I can’t resist doing this. I received an iPad as an early Christmas gift and am playing with it. Hopefully the autocorrect will be much less extensive so I will stop posting so many odd random words. I just discovered the emojis and look 🊠an alligator or perhaps it’s a crocodile! Anyway I had to share and also see if it works. Another skill I want to figure out is posting pictures but for today keyboard use is great.

• Like 8

I can’t resist doing this. I received an iPad as an early Christmas gift and am playing with it. Hopefully the autocorrect will be much less extensive so I will stop posting so many odd random words. I just discovered the emojis and look 🊠an alligator or perhaps it’s a crocodile! Anyway I had to share and also see if it works. Another skill I want to figure out is posting pictures but for today keyboard use is great.

Squee!  Congrats on your early gift.   Ipads are so very handy and fun as well as useful.   :thumbup1:    

I'm being very lazy today and currently splitting my reading today between the Tao of Pooh and #10 in October Daye series - Once Broken Faith.

Had a wonderful time with my family - lots of good food and wine and laughter and fun.  Power went out during dinner....fortunately not while cooking.  I would have been  :willy_nilly:

Question of the day:   If you were somehow mysteriously transported (beam me up scotty) into the book you are currently reading, what time period and setting would you end up in?  

• Like 4

a7c79f1a-ba29-4939-a899-096d37c413c1.jpe

Hello! Happy day after Thanksgiving!

About the photo:

I recently acquired the top three books on the stack, have recently finished the bottom four plus Conversion (Katherine Howe), and am currently reading the rest.

Finished since my last BaW post:

141 Hard Times (Charles Dickens; 1854. Fiction.)
142 Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson; 1989. Drama.)
143 Children of the New World (Alexander Weinstein; 2016. Fiction.)
144 The Tempest (William Shakespeare; 1610. Drama.)
145 The Winter’s Tale (William Shakespeare; 1609. Drama.)
146 Henry VIII (William Shakespeare; 1613. Drama.)
147 The Hate You Give (Angie Thomas; 2017. Fiction.)
148 Conversion (Katherine Howe; 2014. Fiction.)

Commonplace book entries:

From Hard Times (Charles Dickens):

p. 47
It was one of the most exasperating attributes of Bounderby, that he not only sang his own praises but stimulated other men to sing them. There was a moral infection of clap-trap in him.

p. 277
“I beg your pardon for interrupting you, sir,†returned Bitzer; “but I am sure you know that the whole social system is a question of self-interest. What you must always appeal to, is a person’s self-interest. It’s your only hold….â€

From Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson):

MARWOOD: Never discuss your family, do you?

WITHNAIL: I fail to see my family is of any interest to you — I have absolutely no interest in yours — I dislike relatives in general, and my own in particular.

MARWOOD: Why?

WITHNAIL: Because… I’ve told you why… we’re incompatible. They don’t like me being on stage.

MARWOOD: Then they must be delighted with your career.

WIRHNAIL: What d’you mean?

MARWOOD: You rarely are.

• Like 5

Squee! Congrats on your early gift. Ipads are so very handy and fun as well as useful. :thumbup1:

I'm being very lazy today and currently splitting my reading today between the Tao of Pooh and #10 in October Daye series - Once Broken Faith.

Had a wonderful time with my family - lots of good food and wine and laughter and fun. Power went out during dinner....fortunately not while cooking. I would have been :willy_nilly:

Question of the day: If you were somehow mysteriously transported (beam me up scotty) into the book you are currently reading, what time period and setting would you end up in?

We did the Tao of Pooh as a read aloud for school at one point. Great book with many fun discussions.

Glad you had a fun family celebration, glad you didn’t have to cook by 🔦. Yes, still playing......

Now for the question of the Day.......I am currently reading two books. In The Final Girls I would end up in NYC in the current time period. I would prefer to miss that one because I suspect something really bad is about to happen in my book and I don’t want to visit and end up a victim!This is a carry over spooky from Spooky October and was on our linked lists someplace. I think it probably is going to be more horror than spooky. Not sure if I am up for it but will read a few more pages.

My other book is Sarum. I have started reading slowly again. I am currently in Tudor Times in England near Salisbury. That would be fun potentially since lots of foreign trade seems to be occurring I might just avoid being in service.

• Like 4

We have all survived Thanksgiving and have almost survived the pre-Thanksgiving cold that got passed around, just in time for the holiday. I'm enjoying having my elder two home for a few days and trying to catch up a little on my NaNo word count. I'm just a little off pace, which I'm happy about.

Not so much reading to report, but I did finish one of the best books I've read all year, and one that I am putting on my list of all-time favorites. The Scar by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko is Russian fantasy, meaning it was originally written in Russian and translated into English. I thought the translator did an excellent job; there were only a few instances where I got confused, and I don't know if it was the original or the translation. It really reminded me in many ways of what I have read of War and Peace. The world isn't medieval, although there are no guns; so many details of the setting gave me a sort of Peter the Great or Napoleonic Wars feeling.

The hero of the book begins the story as an immense jerk, who suffers some rather hideous consequences because of his actions. But the story is all about redemption, love, and courage. I loved it. Thankfully, it's a standalone, although there are many other novels set in the same world. Unfortunately, none of them have been translated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

For those who like Audible, they're having another sale. It goes through midnight Tuesday

400 books for $4.95 each

I wonder if it's for Audible members only

Had a wonderful time with my family - lots of good food and wine and laughter and fun.  Power went out during dinner....fortunately not while cooking.  I would have been  :willy_nilly:

Question of the day:   If you were somehow mysteriously transported (beam me up scotty) into the book you are currently reading, what time period and setting would you end up in?  

Tao of Pooh looks fun. Put it on my list. 

I would be in London (mostly but also traveling a bit around England and the European continent) in 1905 surrounded by the Bloomsbury group.

• Like 4

Today I finished For Deader or Worse - the most recent John Picket Bow Street Runner book. 

That means I have two of those books to pass on to another BaWer who wants them. 

Dinner Most Deadly #4

For Deader or Worse #6

I'll repost this in tomorrow's thread, since it's late an not everyone will have checked this thread before the new one starts.

ETA: These are historical mysteries with some romance and while it isn't critical to read them in order, it's best to do so.

I wonder if it's for Audible members only

That's possible. It doesn't say so on the banner but it's likely.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

I'm back at home after a fun Thanksgiving celebration with long time friends; we traveled back and forth (day long trips) on the Amtrak, so I got a fair bit of reading done en route.  I'll likely report on this week's reading in next week's thread.

Meanwhile, some currently free books for Kindle readers ~

a one day only classic: Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini 

The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields Book 1)  by Loretta Lost

After/Life: Denial: A Paranormal Ghost Romance  by Scarlett Whispers

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I have started a post several times today. So once again....

Angela, I hope everyone is back to normal soon!

Now for the problem part which is posting a photo from an iPad. I seem to be able to get my selected photo to my post using the directions at the bottom of the reply to post but when I go to post it’s to big. Is there a way to shrink it.?

• Like 3

I have finished my 48th book!!

Balancing on Blue: Hiking the Appalachian Trail by Keith Foskett.

I have been getting the hankerin' to hit the trails again and chose to read about hiking since I am unable to do it myself. I think I have hit the AT book saturation point, however, as this one just wasn't as enjoyable as previous books. It was simply another "begin in Georgia and hike to Maine" diary.  Fozzie  (his self-given trailname) is English and used some of his English wit throughout the book but that was the singular unique aspect of the book. If I read any more books about the AT I think I will intentionally look for those written by southbound or flip-flop hikers. 

• Like 6

a7c79f1a-ba29-4939-a899-096d37c413c1.jpe

Hello! Happy day after Thanksgiving!

About the photo:

I recently acquired the top three books on the stack, have recently finished the bottom four plus Conversion (Katherine Howe), and am currently reading the rest.

Always intriguing reads.  I really liked Howe's Physick book of Deliverance Dane. I'll have to check out Conversion or House of Velvet and Glass.  

We did the Tao of Pooh as a read aloud for school at one point. Great book with many fun discussions.

Glad you had a fun family celebration, glad you didn’t have to cook by 🔦. Yes, still playing......

Now for the question of the Day.......I am currently reading two books. In The Final Girls I would end up in NYC in the current time period. I would prefer to miss that one because I suspect something really bad is about to happen in my book and I don’t want to visit and end up a victim!This is a carry over spooky from Spooky October and was on our linked lists someplace. I think it probably is going to be more horror than spooky. Not sure if I am up for it but will read a few more pages.

My other book is Sarum. I have started reading slowly again. I am currently in Tudor Times in England near Salisbury. That would be fun potentially since lots of foreign trade seems to be occurring I might just avoid being in service.

Scary NY and historical England.  Oh my!  At least it's not scary historical England.  Tudor England sounds like a lot more fun! 

We have all survived Thanksgiving and have almost survived the pre-Thanksgiving cold that got passed around, just in time for the holiday. I'm enjoying having my elder two home for a few days and trying to catch up a little on my NaNo word count. I'm just a little off pace, which I'm happy about.

Not so much reading to report, but I did finish one of the best books I've read all year, and one that I am putting on my list of all-time favorites. The Scar by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko is Russian fantasy, meaning it was originally written in Russian and translated into English. I thought the translator did an excellent job; there were only a few instances where I got confused, and I don't know if it was the original or the translation. It really reminded me in many ways of what I have read of War and Peace. The world isn't medieval, although there are no guns; so many details of the setting gave me a sort of Peter the Great or Napoleonic Wars feeling.

The hero of the book begins the story as an immense jerk, who suffers some rather hideous consequences because of his actions. But the story is all about redemption, love, and courage. I loved it. Thankfully, it's a standalone, although there are many other novels set in the same world. Unfortunately, none of them have been translated!

Hope everyone feels totally better soon. The Scar sounds really interesting. Adding it to my wishlist!

I'm either in present day 100 acre woods or Muir woods which actually could be one and the same.  Lots of nature! 

• Like 4

I have started a post several times today. So once again....

Angela, I hope everyone is back to normal soon!

Now for the problem part which is posting a photo from an iPad. I seem to be able to get my selected photo to my post using the directions at the bottom of the reply to post but when I go to post it’s to big. Is there a way to shrink it.?

I haven't quite figured it out myself.  Even  photos for regular pc have to shrink in paint first before post.  You may need to save to photos and then edit first.  I'll experiment a bit and see what happens.  

• Like 4

I haven't quite figured it out myself. Even photos for regular pc have to shrink in paint first before post. You may need to save to photos and then edit first. I'll experiment a bit and see what happens.

Thank you! I am sort of relieved to know it isn't obvious.

Hubby says "relax honey I'll make dinner." So instead of cooking he's making margaritas. Dinner will be delayed an hour.

:cheers2:

Cheers, I love margaritas! Edited by mumto2
  • Like 3

I finished a biography about Gertrude Bell this week.

I had never heard about her before someone mentioned this book. https://www.goodread...72.Desert_Queen

Somehow a sad story, somehow very interesting as it also describes the development from Iraq as nation. Some current news items from the last few years felt in its place.

I started a biography about the Thomas Mann family. https://www.goodread...e-einer-familie I thought it would be a book about him and the family he grew up within, and how he wrote ‘The Buddenbrooks’. This book starts 20 years after the publishing of that book and what happens to his children... still interesting though :)

I also started a book about Dvorak, that Jenn mentioned. https://www.goodread...7.Dvo_k_in_Love

The first part was a little overwhelming in terms of music terms I am not familiar with, but the other parts are easier to me. Each part is written from the pov of an other person in Dvoraks life.

• Like 3