Menu

s/o coffee - iso drip machine recommendation

hornblower

My unending quest for coffee brewed at a proper temperature is what finally led me to a kettle and French press/pour over/espresso pot. Good luck in your quest--I don't believe it exists

booooo :( 

Hm. Are there programmable kettles? Don't the Japanese have some sort of hot water on demand thingy?  If I had everything ready & measured out the night before maybe I could manage this. 

Though some of us here can barely pour coffee out of a carafe & get it to our mouths with any reliability. 

And we have 3 coffee drinkers all getting up at various times. 

Love my Ninja coffee pot. Fits all of your requirements. There are options of glass carafe and stainless steel/insulated and we have the latter. We make on average 2 pots a day and this has lasted well over a year, longer than any other that we've had. I ordered off Amazon but you can likely find locally so you could return if you didn't like it. 

• Like 1

booooo :(

Hm. Are there programmable kettles? Don't the Japanese have some sort of hot water on demand thingy? If I had everything ready & measured out the night before maybe I could manage this.

Though some of us here can barely pour coffee out of a carafe & get it to our mouths with any reliability.

And we have 3 coffee drinkers all getting up at various times.

I put a liter and a half of water in my electric kettle--nothing fancy, just a $20 Hamilton Beach thingie--and wash out my press and feed the dog and cat while I wait for it to boil. It's fast, but sometimes I can get one shelf of the dishwasher unloaded too. When it clicks off, I grind the beans and put them in the bottom of the press (I do it on the gram scale). By this time about 30 seconds has elapsed, ensuring the water is just below the boiling point. I slowly pour the water over the beans, gently push the top of the beans down with a chopstick, cover and let sit four minutes. It's more hands on than pushing a button, but it's not complicated and the coffee is so much better.

I have a zojirushi carafe that keeps coffee hot for hours. I've tried others and this is the only one that doesn't leak heat. I use this bodum 12 cup stainless pot to make a whole 1.5L pot of French press at once:

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-COLUMBIA-Coffee-Thermal-Stainless/dp/B0000A8VUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511109211&sr=1-1&keywords=bodum+12+cup+stainless+steel+french+press

Also, if you want to get the water and coffee all measured out the night before you can totally do that. Just boil and pour. It won't taste as good, but it's better than drip.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

I have this carafe for parties (I make a pot, pour it directly in here and have water already boiled for a second pot).

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Vacuum-Carafe-Stainless-Steel/dp/B013S7YZ70/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511109459&sr=1-3&keywords=zojirushi+carafe

And use this one for every day becasue it's smaller and glass lined. I think it keeps the coffee hot for longer. Seriously, when there is leftover coffee the next morning, it's still a drinkable temp when I pour it out

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Polished-Stainless-Insulated-Thermal/dp/B0016S4TJS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511109459&sr=1-2&keywords=zojirushi+carafe

• Like 1

I never could find an automatic coffee pot I liked, so I ended up with a Presto electric percolator. It has absolutely no special features at all. It doesn't even have an on/off button, you just plug it in to turn it on, and unplug it to turn it off. Once the coffee is done I just put it into an insulated carafe and take it to the table. I haven't had any problems with it, it is very simple to operate, and it has lasted for over 2.5 years of daily use at this point.

Here is the link to the 6-cup model: https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-02822-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B002LVUIK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511109614&sr=8-2&keywords=presto+percolator+coffee+makers&dpID=41-yjZqAtcL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 1

Love my Ninja coffee pot. Fits all of your requirements. There are options of glass carafe and stainless steel/insulated and we have the latter. We make on average 2 pots a day and this has lasted well over a year, longer than any other that we've had. I ordered off Amazon but you can likely find locally so you could return if you didn't like it.

I've heard good things about this pot from a few other people. Is the coffee hot-hot when it comes out?

Edited by Barb_

I have a cuisinart that brews into an insulated carafe, but it’s not tall and skinny. It is programmable.

There’s this one from Cuisinart - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YTYGM/ - looks like maybe it’s skinnier than mine. I really like mine, but since we maybe drink two cups a day, it’s just overkill. The carafe does keep the coffee hot for an extended amount of time.

• Like 2

I have never found a coffee make with an insulated carafe that made coffee has hot as one with a glass carafe.  I would suggest looking at Seattle Coffee Gear's website https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/coffee-makers/drip-brewers for suggestions.  They review products in a wide price range on everything from the size of the unit, to the temperature of the coffee and I have found their review to be reliatble and helpful.

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't admit this.

We use the pour over Melitta cone.  

We make coffee into a white ceramic pot that we got so long ago that I don't remember from where.  Maybe from Gevalia.

But we hate having to do this in the morning, even though it only takes 5 minutes once the water boils, so we usually make it the night before and heat it up in the microwave.  What the heck, it works.

• Like 2

I probably shouldn't admit this.

We use the pour over Melitta cone.  

We make coffee into a white ceramic pot that we got so long ago that I don't remember from where.  Maybe from Gevalia.

But we hate having to do this in the morning, even though it only takes 5 minutes once the water boils, so we usually make it the night before and heat it up in the microwave.  What the heck, it works.

My mother has done this for years - the pour over cone. She does it in the morning. Oddly enough, if she wants coffee later in the day, she uses the coffeemaker then. :)

I have a cuisinart that brews into an insulated carafe, but it’s not tall and skinny. It is programmable.

There’s this one from Cuisinart - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YTYGM/ - looks like maybe it’s skinnier than mine. I really like mine, but since we maybe drink two cups a day, it’s just overkill. The carafe does keep the coffee hot for an extended amount of time.

I had this one (or its cousin)  for 2- 3 years and it worked well for me.  (Until it didn't one sad day...)

Now I have new old fashioned percolater.   Coffee is HOT.   But is not programmable. 

It brews very fast.  Much faster than I thought it would. I can keep the four coffee drinkers here supplied without too much stress. Even the 12 year old can brew a pot very well. :)

• Like 1

Why can't I just have Jeeves?!

Our only problem with the Saeko is that it's an 8 cup and when dh is home that's not enough for all of us so someone has to make a 4 cup top up. So yeah, you guys, we struggle with making a second pot mid-morning; there's no way we can be making anything at 4 or 5 am when we moan about having to refill a drip pot at 10:30. 

In that other thread I admitted I don't like coffee. I only drink it medicinally. I didn't drink coffee at all for about 25 years. I started about 7 years ago but maybe I should stop.  That would make this particular problem go away ... otoh, I thought I noticed a productivity boost from it. 

Oh & yeah I've done microwaved leftover coffee before. I was thinking of cold brewing overnight and just microwaving it but dh just pours into his stainless steel travel mug so he'd need an extra step of using something else to heat it in so it's not ideal. 

• Like 1

This is what we have. We call him Awesome-o. The coffee stays nice and hot inside for a few hours and is warm (if it lasts that long) many hours later. Programmable and easy to clean. Because there is no carafe, DS was able to bring me coffee in bed by the time he was 3, which was the most amazing thing ever.  :hurray:

We're on our second one - the current one is 5 years old and we've had no problems with it.

• Like 1

We like our Hamilton Beach Brewstation. I'm sure true coffee connoisseurs will be horrified but it makes decent coffee for us. What we like is that the coffee is in the well staying hot as opposed to in a pot getting stronger as it sits on the burner. It's a little tricky to fill a tall travel cup but we just move it close to the edge of the counter when we need to do that. 

ETA: In addition to it being programmable you can adjust the brew strength, the keep warm hours (up to 4 hours), and make iced coffee in it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1