Menu

What English program do you use for your 4/5th grader?

marylandhsmom

So we've been off the beaten track for a year using a variety of workbooks but I'm wanting to get back on more solid footing for my 10 yr old DD.  

What are people using for "English" -- writing/grammar/usage/spelling, etc.  Or is everyone piecemealing out Language Arts?  Would love an all-in-one for usage/grammar/spelling/writing, if such a thing exsits!!  LOL

So we've been off the beaten track for a year using a variety of workbooks but I'm wanting to get back on more solid footing for my 10 yr old DD.  

What are people using for "English" -- writing/grammar/usage/spelling, etc.  Or is everyone piecemealing out Language Arts?  Would love an all-in-one for usage/grammar/spelling/writing, if such a thing exsits!!  LOL

See, I write "language arts" . :D  Because "language arts" means different things to different people. And you almost have to use different materials for different components of English, really: phonics, grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature, penmanship

Grammar: Easy Grammar (I'm not a fan of diagramming).

Composition:Writing Strands.

Grammar and composition in a single source: either Building With Diligence (4th) or Following the Plan (5th), depending on my dc's skills

Spelling: if necessary, Spelling by Sound and Structure

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise

Reading/literature: nothing formal; reading lots of trade books.

• Like 1

See, I write "language arts" . :D  Because "language arts" means different things to different people. And you almost have to use different materials for different components of English, really: phonics, grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature, penmanship

Grammar: Easy Grammar (I'm not a fan of diagramming).

Composition:Writing Strands.

Grammar and composition in a single source: either Building With Diligence (4th) or Following the Plan (5th), depending on my dc's skills

Spelling: if necessary, Spelling by Sound and Structure

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise

Reading/literature: nothing formal; reading lots of trade books.

Thanks Ellie!

Edited by marylandhsmom

My 4th grader uses CLE for language arts - it includes spelling, grammar, and penmanship. We added Wordsmith Apprentice for writing. She also does written narrations once or twice a week.

THANKS 3girls4me!  But does she get tired of the many pages??  We tried CLE LA in grade 2 and it was a bust... to much writing.... We also use CLE math....

CLE for 3rd and I plan to continue with it.

Older girls used a variety of things for 4th/5th, but all together (all the different LA components: Grammar, writing, penmanship, vocabulary, usage, etc.) certainly were more pages than a CLE lesson. I loved some of those individual components, but this DD8 doesn’t have the patience/stamina to use a bunch of different resources. She’s a get-er-done kind of student.

My 4th grader is using:

180 Days of Writing 5 for composition. It's really helped him get over his writing reluctance, because I let him be silly in his writing. It includes lots of stylistic practice too, like writing with metaphors, idioms, concise language, etc. I never see this mentioned on the board, but it fits our needs really well. So far the topics have been picked out for him - like describe a house with useful inventions you've created, argue for or against trick-or-treating, instruct someone in the process of voting for president. The focus is on the writing, less on the content (which is fine with me right now).

Grammar for the WTM - we just started this, and I think it will work out very well for him. If he hadn't done much grammar before, I would just do Growing with Grammar which goes a little slower.

Zaner Bloser 2C for cursive. He is nearly done, and he will do 3 next, or else do copywork using quotes from The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place that I typed out on ZB online.

He doesn't need spelling.

This year we're using level 3 of ELTL, and I think we'll continue with at least level 4 and 5 before moving writing to WWS.

When I did have a 4/5th grader, he was slightly behind in language arts.  We used Writing Tales and followed it with Word Roots + Moving Beyond The Page when other programs didn't work for us (Classical Writing, LLATL)

My current 4th grader: Pentime Cursive 4, Spelling Works, and Wordsmith Apprentice

Older brother, 4th: Can Do Cursive, Spelling Works, Junior English 3; 5th: Writing in Cursive F, Elementary Diagramming Worktext/First Whole Book of Diagrams, Wordsmith Apprentice (part, he's finishing this year), and Typing.com

Literature is/was a combination of read alouds correlated with history, library book club selections, and freely chosen works.

My 4th grader is currently using:
Grammar: Junior Analytical Grammar, and she dabbled a bit on Khan Academy's grammar (JAG doesn't last a whole school year, so the extra practice at Khan was fine)

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric book 1, moving quickly (She could have started in book 2, but she's enjoying book 1, and there is no more wailing and gnashing of teeth. I'll take it.)

Spelling: Rod and Staff book 4

Literature: stack of high quality children's books that I collected over the summer, she picks what she reads from that stack daily and we discuss it

I don't do separate vocab; she gets more than enough from her other subjects.

MCT Grammar Town, then

Practice Town and Paragraph Town (reading, not writing), then

W&R (keep going with Practice Town), along with

Read alouds and free reading and poetry memorization.

No spelling (we usually stop that by 3rd grade), No literary studies or lit units. W&R gives us some discussion, and the rest we get through family read aloud discussion. We also talk about poetic elements and literary elements in this context.

My kids did not hit logic stage in 5th grade. I wonder whose child really does? It's more like 7th. So, 4th-6th are a time to have fun with your eager child because most hit logic stage (and puberty) and their brains melt out their ears not to be recovered for 2-4 years.

• Like 1

THANKS 3girls4me! But does she get tired of the many pages?? We tried CLE LA in grade 2 and it was a bust... to much writing.... We also use CLE math....

This particular child doesn't get tired of the pages. Of my three girls, she is the one that actually gets excited by workbooks. Granted, I don't let her use them in all subjects, but it works well for language arts and math. And it actually isn't that many pages considering all that it's covering. (In my opinion) We've separated all the parts our before and there was more. Unless of course you use something oral.

Edited by 3girls4me

If you are looking for an all-in-one The Good and the Beautiful is a very good program.  

If you are looking for a grammar intensive year I would suggest Rod and Staff English 4 or 5, Rod and Staff Spelling by Sound and Structure, and reading great literature for a set time daily.  You can always add in cheap Pentime handwriting 5 and a Wordly Wise for extra vocabulary (definitely optional). 

I also love Intermediate Language Lessons, but it is more usage focused; it is not a solid grammar vocabulary or diagramming style program, but it does have a lot of writing practice built in.

My ds for 4th this year did:

MCT's Grammar Town/ Paragraph Town level and copywork/narration/dictation WTM/WWE style. He did spelling using Natural Speller, and read lots of good books.

For 5th he will finish MCT's town level (vocab/poetry/rest of practice) and do Classical Writing Aesop. And continue the spelling.

My first three 4th graders used R&S English, R&S Spelling and WWE 4. My current 4th grader is using the same except LLATL Orange instead of R&S English. I think R&S would be too much for him.

I am using LLATL for my older kids and I really like it, but I'm a bit undecided about the Orange level. If I had a kid who liked creative writing, it would be great, but I am finding I'm skipping some things because this kid is NOT a creative writer. Otherwise, it's good.

This year's 5th grader is using R&S 5 for  grammar and spelling; writing across the subjects per SWB's audio lectures...(history and lit narrations and outlining from history every so often).  Also using CLE  Reading 5 for part of the year, and reading through the books in SL Core E at her own pace.

• Like 1

My 4th grader is using:

Beowulf's Grammar for grammar (was using Easy Grammar/Daily Grams before this)

Apples & Pears for spelling

Dancing Pears/ETC for phonics

Random books for reading

Pentime for cursive

Writing Skills workbook

I'm not thrilled with the piecemeal approach, but CLE didn't work for us, and I couldn't find anything else that did.

We use a complete core through Memoria Press which is sort of an all in one package.   hahaha   But listing everything out it would be....

Foreign Language:  Memoria Press Latin sequence

Grammar:  Grammar is learned mainly in Latin and then re-enforced through MP English Grammar Recitation and Daily Language Review Workbooks

Composition:  Memoria Press Classical Composition

Spelling:   AAS in the early years, then spelling plus

Literature:  Memoria Press Literature Kits 

Penmanship:  Memoria Press Cursive

Phonics:  REWARDS by Sopris press (in the summers)  (I use this because my two oldest are dyslexic.)

If I had to choose an ALL-IN-ONE language arts program, I would probably choose Cottage Press or English Lessons Through Literature.  :)   

• Like 1

My 4th grade DD is currently using:

IEW Fix It Grammar 

IEW Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons

All About Spelling

Build Your Library (for both read-alouds and readers)

Universal Handwriting Cursive Enrichment

Wordly Wise 3000 (she gets plenty of vocabulary elsewhere, so I'm considering dropping this)

We are currently doing 3rd grade, but will likely be using the same for 4th/5th

Grammar~Daily Grams and Easy Grammar

Writing~Writeshop 

Spelling~Spellwell

Vocabulary~Wordly Wise

Reading~All About Reading and then free read after finishing AAR4