Menu

Cookies/bars/treats I can mail, will last a while

Annie G

Both my dad and father in law are widowers.  I want to mail them each a box of goodies but need things that will not only survive the shopping, but will last a while once they get there.  We have family favorites but they are recipes from my mom or mother in law and these guys are sad enough this time of year so I want to stay away from that. 

They both will like the Ritz crackers w peanut butter and then coated in almond bark.   What else can I do?

I want things that will last a bit because neither one will ever throw away a goodie because it's 'too old'.  So putting four or five different things in the tin is best since that will keep them from getting tired of eating the same thing. 

No recipes w whole nuts or super crunchy stuff like peanut brittle. These guys are 85 and don't eat hard things. 

Hit me with your ideas, guys!!

• Like 1

Fudge lasts a LONG time and ships really well. You can make it without nuts, or chop them up really fine. Either tastes yummy!

That’s so sweet for you to send them goodies to brighten their days. :)

ETA: Oh! I thought of another one that lasts quite a while and ships easily. Snowball cookies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landolakes.com/amp/recipe/20055/snowball-cookies/

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Fudge lasts a LONG time and ships really well. You can make it without nuts, or chop them up really fine. Either tastes yummy!

That’s so sweet for you to send them goodies to brighten their days. :)

ETA: Oh! I thought of another one that lasts quite a while and ships easily. Snowball cookies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landolakes.com/amp/recipe/20055/snowball-cookies/

I didn't realize fudge would last- they would both love that. Chopped nuts are ok, they just don't like to eat nuts on their own (unlike me! I like nuts on their own but not IN things)

Snowball cookies would be a good choice since I live way up north and both of them live in Georgia.  I can send them snowballs!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Really quick...

Any cookie with a glaze will last longer than the same cookie without a glaze.

So if you make the snowballs (Mexican wedding cakes) make a glaze with milk or water and 10X sugar instead of rolling them in 10X.

Cuccidati last forever.

I have a chocolate spice cookie that lasts a few weeks, too. I'll try to get it out if you want it.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1

Italian Chocolate Pepper Cookies

3 c. Flour

3/4 c. Sugar

1/4 tsp. Salt

1 1/2 TBS. baking powder

1/4 c. Unsweetened cocoa

1/2 tsp. Pepper

1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves

3/4 tsp. Cinnamon

3/4 c. Shortening

1/4 c. Chopped Walnuts*

1/4 c. raisins*

(*I double these bc I love nuts and raisins.)

Preheat oven to 400F

Mix together all dry ingredients except nuts and raisins.

Cut in shortening and milk. Stir in nuts and raisins. (Dough may be dry but will hold together as you scoop out portions and roll and squeeze into balls.)

Bake 10 minutes (not more than 12 minutes)

Glaze with a thin glaze...milk or water and 10X sugar**.

**Sometimes I make a chocolate frosting if I have time with butter, cocoa, 10X sugar.

These aren't super sweet and they have an different taste than your typical cookies. Make sure your spices are fresh!

• Like 2

A chocolate spice cookie sounds right up their alley!

Off to look up cuddidati!

I had no idea about a glaze making it last longer. I thought the opposite. That's why I ask here- you guys know everything.

They are a labor of love type cookie. Most Italian families who make them get together and make hundreds at a time bc they are so much work.

I think savingdessert.com as a small recipe.

• Like 1

I have a Christmas cookie book from library called a baker's field guide to Christmas cookies.

Here are some of her longer "lifespans:"

chocolate bourbon balls: 1.5 months

Gingerbread people: 3 weeks

Chocolate krinkles: 2 weeks

Meringues: 2 weeks

Night before Christmas mice :2 weeks (I've made these are they are super cute...basically a mouse shaped sugar cookie)

Peanut butter kisses: 2 weeks

Pfeffenusse: 1 month

Ribbon cookies: 1 month

Kanelkakor:2 weeks

Shortbread 2 weeks

Snickerdoodles : 2 weeks

Sugar cookie: 1 month

Thumbprint cookies 2 weeks

She also has a cuccidati recipe in her book that yields 72 cookies that she says lasts 2 weeks but she tops hers with an egg wash before baking, which I wouldn't recommend. Icing and nonpareils are the way to go!

• Like 2

I would ship them wrapped in parchment paper, and then in freezer ziploc bags that are labeled with the type of cookie.  Put a note that says keep in the freezer and pull out one or two at a time. :)

What about biscotti that they can dunk in their coffee??

• Like 1

I have a Christmas cookie book from library called a baker's field guide to Christmas cookies.

Here are some of her longer "lifespans:"

chocolate bourbon balls: 1.5 months

Gingerbread people: 3 weeks

Chocolate krinkles: 2 weeks

Meringues: 2 weeks

Night before Christmas mice :2 weeks (I've made these are they are super cute...basically a mouse shaped sugar cookie)

Peanut butter kisses: 2 weeks

Pfeffenusse: 1 month

Ribbon cookies: 1 month

Kanelkakor:2 weeks

Shortbread 2 weeks

Snickerdoodles : 2 weeks

Sugar cookie: 1 month

Thumbprint cookies 2 weeks

She also has a cuccidati recipe in her book that yields 72 cookies that she says lasts 2 weeks but she tops hers with an egg wash before baking, which I wouldn't recommend. Icing and nonpareils are the way to go!

This is just what I needed- a list of how long cookies last. Thanks so much!  

I would ship them wrapped in parchment paper, and then in freezer ziploc bags that are labeled with the type of cookie.  Put a note that says keep in the freezer and pull out one or two at a time. :)

What about biscotti that they can dunk in their coffee??

I wish I could get them to freeze these things. They are like twins- out of sight, out of mind. I have put food in their freezer before- like mini meatloaves, ready to pop in the oven, single serving sizes of spaghetti sauce, small bags of pulled pork, homemade soups. They truly don't see those things when they open their freezer. I ended up writing it on their calendar or on a note stuck to the fridge. 

But I do have a friend I make things for and biscotti would be perfect! I don't eat it (or drink hot coffee) so I didn't think of it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I probably should not say that we often have Christmas cookies into the early summer, and most of them still taste really good.  Usually they've been stored in air-tight tins.  I find that butter cookies, especially, improve with age.  Often my cut-outs taste more buttery a month after I make them than right after.  LOL.  I ate my last cut-out from last Christmas about a month ago.  I pulled out a cookie tin buried in the back, and there was a last lonely cookie hiding inside.  It was still good.

• Like 1

This is just what I needed- a list of how long cookies last. Thanks so much!

No problem!

All those cookies were also to be stored in an air tight container at room temperature. So I figured they'd be your best choices.

It is a fun little book. I'd check your library for it. Author is DeDe Wilson.

• Like 1

I'll fess up- I never put stuff in baggies in the tins. What a concept- keeping things separated will surely help. 

Unsinkable, I've put in a request for the book through interlibrary loan. Should be here in a couple of days!

Butter cookies would be a good choice for the guys. 

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling better about my options.