Menu

Toddler/Preschooler activities during school time

I'm thinking about Christmas gifts and thought I might put together some activities/manipulatives/whatever for my youngest who will be 3 at the end of January. She's gotten better during school time, but inevitably she ends up watching Sesame Street on YouTube during school time, and I'd like some non-screen activities that occupy her while I'm helping other children. I already have crayons for her and sometimes let her go to town with scissors.

Suggestions can be things to buy or things to make (like an activity bag of some sort). Either one is fine. I also have a laminator, so I can make something with that as well. She does not put things in her mouth, so small objects are fine (she would still be supervised).

Current successes in our house right now (with 3.5 and 1.5 yo):

- play dough

- pipe cleaners and beads

- farm/shape magnets for fridge

- math u see blocks

- counting bears

- finding worms outside :) (gift could be a worm/bug hunting kit, if still warm enough where you live?)

- road mat with cars

- paper, scissors, glue, decorative bits/ribbon

- duplos

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

Last year I had an extra little who was a toddler.  It was helpful, for me, to give him things that were in the subject we were working on.  I printed a c-rod book for him to match the shapes during math.  Gave him a box with kinetic sand and Egyptian toob figures during history (or sand molds - Michaels had a set of ancient buildings I snagged).  Science I brought out My First Microscope, large plastic test tubes, play animals, etc.  Language arts he had a set of magnetic letters on a Dollar Tree cookie sheet.  For things I couldn't match up, I brought out the Aquadoodle mat, BambinoLuk, Day To Night puzzle, shape cards, and playdough.  I would make playdough monthly and add scents to it: cinnamon, vanilla, cloves & nutmeg, mint, lemon, apple...and change up the texture between normal, super silky (made with jello), cloud dough...I learned my lesson on no slime, though! :lol:

• Like 3

Pipe cleaners and pony beads

pattern activities - we have unifix cubes. I made about 10 different patterns and then asked my three year old to copy them.

Magnets and metal ring bingo chips-I made many different actitivities with these.  Many times my son wanted to sort them by color into different containers and then pick them all up with magnets

scissors, paper, and glue.

sinkful of soapy water washing all the plastic wear- I generally laid towels down on the floor and the counter top, set a chair on top of the towels, and let the kid enjoy themselves.  Following the fun in the water (I swear my son would be content for at least an hour), we would use the wet towels to "mop" the floor.

• Like 1

I have a toddler who I have to keep busy during school time with big brother.  For us what works best is that the child doing school does some of his reading aloud while the toddler eats breakfast in his high chair.  Then we make sure at night to sort out and clean up all the toddler toys so they are put back together into their bins and sets so that everything the next day is fresh to play with.  For example, the toddler likes those tall stacking pegs so if we have them all in their storage container ready to go he is more inclined to play with them quietly then if they are spread all over...same for the Wedgits.  So for us it isn't just having the toys, it is having them sort of ready to go for the toddler for the day that really helps.  He seems to play independently the most with the stacking pegs, Wedgits, and emptying out and refilling various boxes such as a box of old maps, a box of colorful felt squares, a box of old baby socks, etc.  Then when he takes his nap we can get the school work done where we need to be able to focus a little better like math. 

Last year I had an extra little who was a toddler. It was helpful, for me, to give him things that were in the subject we were working on. I printed a c-rod book for him to match the shapes during math. Gave him a box with kinetic sand and Egyptian toob figures during history (or sand molds - Michaels had a set of ancient buildings I snagged). Science I brought out My First Microscope, large plastic test tubes, play animals, etc. Language arts he had a set of magnetic letters on a Dollar Tree cookie sheet. For things I couldn't match up, I brought out the Aquadoodle mat, BambinoLuk, Day To Night puzzle, shape cards, and playdough. I would make playdough monthly and add scents to it: cinnamon, vanilla, cloves & nutmeg, mint, lemon, apple...and change up the texture between normal, super silky (made with jello), cloud dough...I learned my lesson on no slime, though! :lol:

Oh yes, this too! My 3yo wants his own SOTW colouring pages, his own RSO Chemistry workbook pages, his own nature journal, etc. Anything that is "school like the others" is a great idea.

I said this on another thread, but in case you didn't see it--- a BIG box does wonders. My 3 yr old has been coloring on and playing in a gigantic box that I cut a door out of for going on two weeks now. It was something new dh brought home to do, and has been a huge hit during school time. 

She also loves anything artsy- coloring, cutting, painting, gluing are all big hits. She went through a phase of liking the sticker books from dollar tree where you match the stickers to the right page. 

Right now she cuts. She cuts a lot. Like half a coloring book or spiral notebook a day, lol. I keep all catalogs and unneeded coloring sheets and such for her in a stack that she is allowed to work with. And she goes through them! 

Today, I gave her the base 10 block set to play with while I did science with my 11 year old. It did keep her busy for a short time, BUT... my 11 year old kept wanting to build also. :lol: I had to redirect him a few times, despite being in separate rooms (I had her at the dining room table and him working with me at my desk in the living room - the two rooms are attached). We did get through science though... finally. Just a few interruptions when she dropped a block on the floor and the princess couldn't get it herself, so the 11 year old ran over to get it, and then I had to remind him HE was not to play with the blocks. I have GOT to get the 11 year old started before toddler comes down. He just has zero attention span when distractions are around. Squirrel!

• Like 2