Menu

I need to relearn being frugal

ktgrok

DH makes a very nice salary, but right now about 1/4 of take home pay each month goes to student loans. Another 1/4 goes to mortgage/insurance. As his salary went up my spending went up, especially on groceries. I have GOT to get back to spending less. I know some of the increase is prices went way up, and some is that we have several more people in our family now, from a family of 3 to a family of 6. But some is me just wasting food or not being realistic. 

So...

Hit me up with favorite meal ideas, keeping in mind kids are a bit picky and I need to be low carb or at least no processed/white carbs. I'm probably ok with limited amounts of whole grain bread (one slice), potatoes, beans, etc but can't make all meals based on these things. 

I hate peas, and don't like rice or quinoa. Leftovers are fine. 

Looking for breakfast/lunch/dinner ideas. Happy to shop at Walmart for generics, Aldi, etc. 

Current go to meals that are not super expensive are eggs with toast and sausages, peanut butter and jelly for the kids (I eat something else), shake and bake style pork chops bought on sale, pulled chicken thighs, meatballs with pasta (kids favorite).

Lunch we eat a lot of Tyson chicken nuggets (probably could find a generic), PB and J, turkey sandwiches, etc. I usually have leftovers or just some deli turkey and cheese. Or a salad with left overs. 

Breakfast rotates between cereal and milk, frozen pancakes and sausages, and today I got smart and made oatmeal. I usually skip breakfast or have an egg or two. 

Any shopping tips, keeping in mind I usually have 3 kids with me?

Can you do Walmart pick up?   I think it is easier to keep track of your $ that way. 

Plus you don't have the kiddos.

I am not good at recipes.  I hate cooking. 

But our food bill hasn't gone up from when it was just dh and I to the 7 of us.  My 4 older kids eat a ton.  More than I do and I eat a lot!  But when it was just dh and I we spent $200-$250 a week on food.   We spend the same or less now, which is all our food for the week.   Meaning we don't eat out at all, kids are home everyday, and dh works from home. 

Also all of our cleaning, diapers, pull ups......

Back then we ate a lot of easy food.  Dinner was 2 microwave meals.  Now we don't do that.   

From what you said it sounds like your meals are pretty cheap. 

How much do you spend a week? 

Edited by mommyoffive

Whatever you do, stick to the list! Don't get tempted to get something extra. I grocery shop at Walmart, which means I'm surrounded by all the STUFF there that isn't a grocery item. They put the pet food and shampoo-type things on the other side of the store from the groceries so you're forced to walk past all their other STUFF when you're trying to buy grocery-type things. Every stinkin' time I walk in that place, I see something I'm tempted to buy that isn't a grocery item. And every time, I have to say to myself, "Stick to the list! Stick to the list!"

I also have a sweet tooth. So once I'm in the grocery section, I have to skitter past the cookie aisle pretty fast so I'm not tempted.

Stick to the list! Don't pick up extra items ever. Just don't. Keep the money in your pocket.

Same thing with Aldi and their non-grocery aisle with all the stuff they have. I eyeball the stuff, because I can't not, but I Stick To The List and don't buy their stuff either.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

No Walmart pick up. We do have Shipt delivery, but the prices are much higher...and I've used it WAY too much. That might actually be part of the issue  with our grocery bill, come to think of it. 

Same with Prime Now...those prices are fine but you have to tip each time. That adds up when you do it a few times a week....not that I'd know...... :leaving:

Sounds like the first step is to make a list...I'm bad about that. I mean...Alexa knows a few things. We tell her when we think of something. But not for full on meal p`lanning. 

Stick to the list.

We shop for 4 days at a time.  That's our max before we start wasting food.  Our list is like this:

Dinner 1

Dinner 2 (using some ingredients from dinner 1)

Dinner 3 (using ingredients from dinner 1 or 2)

Dinner 4, double batch for leftovers.

Standard lunch items - right now soup and sandwich fixings, in the summer - salad, noodles and so forth.

Standard breakfast items - oatmeal, yogurt, eggs.

Snacks and staples: cheese, in-season fruit, milk, crackers, popcorn, yeast, sugar, flour, etc.

Weekend breakfast: bacon or sausage, maple syrup, orange juice.

We get home and if dinner 4 has a protein it goes directly in the freezer.  Since we're rotating ingredients and trying to use up the fresh stuff as much as possible, we have less food waste.  Things that I know we won't finish, like half the sausage chub or the package of bacon, get prepped for the freezer when we use it.

Milk is for cooking, not drinking.  In our house there is water, hot drinks, or a glass of orange juice.  During the summer I make lemonade and iced tea.

Making a full meal plan is a huge help, especially if you can do it with the sale flyers in front of you.  But even without, just knowing there is a specific food plan for each day is really helpful.  

More cheap eats:

- breakfast casseroles for any meal

- breakfast burritos

- tuna salad 

- tuna cakes

- anything made with meat bought on sale.  

Learn to cook tougher, cheaper cuts.  They tend to give the most flavorful results, but only if you know how to cook them right.  

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat.  Insurance increases, "tax cuts", electricity rates, and general nickles and dimes are adding up to get pretty overwhelming.

My biggest grocery savers are still stocking up on the sales and cooking from scratch.  My biggest problem is controlling the 10 and 7yo's consumption of cereal.  For a long time, I just refused to buy it, but I eventually gave in.

I do know that cooking from scratch is a pain with little ones around.  I give non-babies as many cooking jobs as possible.  I make big batches so even the 6yo can throw together a quesadilla or throw some cheese and cooked meat on a salad.  Or I have my teenagers make big batches so *I can reheat leftovers, lol.

Ordering online helps me stick to my list.

Whatever you do, stick to the list! Don't get tempted to get something extra. I grocery shop at Walmart, which means I'm surrounded by all the STUFF there that isn't a grocery item. They put the pet food and shampoo-type things on the other side of the store from the groceries so you're forced to walk past all their other STUFF when you're trying to buy grocery-type things. Every stinkin' time I walk in that place, I see something I'm tempted to buy that isn't a grocery item. And every time, I have to say to myself, "Stick to the list! Stick to the list!"

I also have a sweet tooth. So once I'm in the grocery section, I have to skitter past the cookie aisle pretty fast so I'm not tempted.

Stick to the list! Don't pick up extra items ever. Just don't. Keep the money in your pocket.

Same thing with Aldi and their non-grocery aisle with all the stuff they have. I eyeball the stuff, because I can't not, but I Stick To The List and don't buy their stuff either.

What about items that are on sale? Doesn't it make sense to stock up on them when the price is lowest? I mostly stick to my list, but if I see that the canned tomatoes we prefer are on sale at a great price, I will buy several of them.

This may not have the same appeal to you in Florida, but I make a lot of soups. I love my instant pot! Soups seem to fill us up well, and they aren't that expensive since each serving has less meat than if you put it on a plate. My kids eat everything, though. Each one started out picky, but grew to like everything by the time they were about 8. So I would encourage you to keep making good food, and not limit it to what they like now. Just ask them to taste what you make.

chicken noodle or chicken spaetzle

chicken tortilla

chicken gnocchi

ham & lentil (kids' favorite)

chicken & white bean w/ green chiles

minestrone

cream of celeriac (celery root - it's a pureed soup)

butternut squash & apple

black bean

taco soup made with ground beef

We also have pasta w/ meat sauce, ratatouille with a bratwurst or kielbasa sausage, "taco pie," chicken enchiladas ...

We usually have leftovers for lunch, but we also like:

quesadillas with refried beans & cheese, plus I like mild green chiles on mine

toaster-oven "pizzas" with flatbreads or pitas

Grilled cheese sandwiches w/ tomato soup

The Instant Pot really makes cooking easier - you don't have to start so early.  I'm making beef carbonnade right now ....

• Like 1

What about items that are on sale? Doesn't it make sense to stock up on them when the price is lowest? I mostly stick to my list, but if I see that the canned tomatoes we prefer are on sale at a great price, I will buy several of them.

Good point!

Yes...it's safe to buy food items that you 100% know (absolutely KNOW) that you will use in the future. Yes, go ahead and stock up on the canned tomatoes when they're on sale.

But do NOT buy the cute socks that catch your eye when you're walking past the clothing or the double stuff oreos that are bad for you (even if they're on sale) or the egg rolls that you see in the freezer section because when you saw the picture on the package you thought, "Gee, I like eggs rolls...I think I'll get these for a fun snack later in the week!"

Amended rule: Stick to the list! Unless it's a grocery item that you use quite frequently and you notice that it's on sale.

• Like 2

For us, it seems the snack food items cost the most.  We buy 1 bag of chips a month and use them if we have to eat on the run.  The rest is fruits and vegs.  

I (like a pp) stopped buying cereal for a while.  I have given in and buy a box a week.  The other days we eat eggs,muffins,oatmeal.

A mistake I made in the past was to save by using less meat.   I made a lot of casseroles. I felt like we were always hungry.  For our carnivorous clan, I have to serve a meat once a day,usually dinner.

Also, I started buying easily prepared frozen and canned ingredients such as meatballs for subs.  It has helped us not eat out when I'm too busy or tired.  We use them about 3-4 times per month.  

• Like 3

Wow I can't believe Orlando doesn't have Walmart Pick up

Orlando does, but I'm in a suburb to the west. I have a walmart 2 miles from the house, but it doesn't do the pick up option. I'd have to drive to one almost 10 miles away through some crappy traffic. Might still be worth it though. Or maybe I could send hubby to get it. 

• Like 1

For sticking to a list Plan to Eat can be really helpful! It generates the list for you when you meal plan.

There's a free trial and on Black Friday it's half off. $20ish on sale I think.

I actually have it! I just don't have a lot of every day meals in it, just desserts and fancy stuff...

• Like 1

No Walmart pick up. We do have Shipt delivery, but the prices are much higher...and I've used it WAY too much. That might actually be part of the issue with our grocery bill, come to think of it.

Same with Prime Now...those prices are fine but you have to tip each time. That adds up when you do it a few times a week....not that I'd know...... :leaving:

Sounds like the first step is to make a list...I'm bad about that. I mean...Alexa knows a few things. We tell her when we think of something. But not for full on meal p`lanning.

For saving money--yes, make a list.

There are three picky eaters in my house (me being one of them), and so we eat a very limited menu to accomodate all three of us picky eaters. I created a chart of the meals we eat each week. Most nights it's the same things which are super fast to cook (spaghetti, tacos, homemade pizza), with some wiggle room for more complex and varied meals on the weekends.

My chart has the meals filled in that we eat all the time and blank spots for the nights we have wiggle room. I print it out and fill in the wiggle room meals.

Then, I have another list that I made of the grocery items I buy the most. The list is broken into two, an Aldi list and a Walmart list. The items on the list are grouped by where they are in the store (In the aisles, in the fruits and veggie section, in the freezer section, etc.). Most items that I buy are always on that list. When I'm looking over what we'll need, I put a little dot next to the items I need to buy and when I'm done I cross out the stuff I don't need that week. I write in the ingredients I don't buy very often, but need for a specific recipe.

I did this because I was always writing down the exact same items every 2 weeks (I shop every 2 weeks) and that was tiring, so now they're all pre-typed and I just dot or cross out and write in the odds and ends. I suppose that there are other electronic ways to do this on an ipad or iphone, but this is the way that works best for me.

Having a list is very helpful to keep me focused while I'm shopping and keep me from buying stuff on a whim that we don't need.

• Like 2

Orlando does, but I'm in a suburb to the west. I have a walmart 2 miles from the house, but it doesn't do the pick up option. I'd have to drive to one almost 10 miles away through some crappy traffic. Might still be worth it though. Or maybe I could send hubby to get it. 

Can he do it on his way home from work? 

• Like 1

My best savings plan has always been to meal plan more thoroughly. It’s when I’m winging it that I overspend.

Using Plan to Eat is a lifesaver.

As far as cheap meals- stir fry, Swiss steak, chicken cacciatore... all of those one pan meals seem to be inexpensive.

• Like 2

All I know is that meat is expensive. I hate beef, but the other people in my family like it, so I've recently started adding some beef into our meals--like pot roast and a stir fry with beef.

Every two weeks when I go to buy some of the beef, I just about topple over from the prices of beef. If you have never bought it before and then start buying it at age 44, you'll realize how expeeeeensive it is. Yikes! I buy the teensiest bits I can find and tell everyone they only get a serving the size of a pack of cards and I make myself a soup to eat on beef night, because beef is gross. :)

If you eat a lot of beef, consider switching to chicken recipes for a bit.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Oh, something else - make a family cookbook.  We started building one of all the meals we've tried and really liked.  They're sorted by type (vegetarian, different proteins).  When we plan without our book we tend to get stuck in a rut.

As an added bonus, the kids will each receive a copy when they leave home. :)  I've taken pictures to go with each dish and will put them together in something like Shutterfly.

• Like 1

But do NOT buy the cute socks that catch your eye when you're walking past the clothing or the double stuff oreos that are bad for you (even if they're on sale) or the egg rolls that you see in the freezer section because when you saw the picture on the package you thought, "Gee, I like eggs rolls...I think I'll get these for a fun snack later in the week!"

You've obviously been stalking me! 

Add in the little trinkets the kids wine for, the cute baby toy, some cinnamon sugar sprinkle stuff for my coffee, a new flavor of coffee even though I have tons, and some fall scented candles I never will burn, and you've got my shopping trip. 

Or..me ordering on Prime now because I'm out of half and half but then I need to hit the $20 minimum so I'm adding stuff that I end up not needing. 

And then there is the Fresca habit I picked back up again....

• Like 2

My sister has a large family, and this time of year when turkeys are cheap she stocks her freezer. She uses it in lots of recipes that call for chicken and makes broth with the bones.

My personal issue is food waste. I really need to work on not cooking too much when there are leftovers to deal with. My family won't eat leftovers more than once, so I need to adjust portions too. I'm seriously considering just not making enough food so we intentionally run out, or making more things that freeze or repurpose well. I find this works best with Mexican food, but my family gets onto me when we're having "too much Mexican." That's not a thing!!!

• Like 2

The less you rely on someone else preparing it, the less expensive everything gets. So eating at home is cheaper than eating out, and making it from scratch is cheaper than using prepared items from the store. But people mean different things when they say "from scratch". Buying a giant bag of dry beans that will last your family for years is going to be way less expensive than using canned beans. Buying a whole, raw chicken to cook and cut up yourself is going to be a lot cheaper than using precut or precooked chicken (and then you can use the carcass to make soup, too). A $20 bag of oats can provide a filling breakfast for a family of six for months. At my most food-frugal, I was buying 50 lb. bags of wheat and grinding it myself for bread. But of course that takes your time and effort in place of money, so YMMV.

If you have a large freezer, you can do a lot of the basic prep all at once in large batches and then still have things more convenient for daily prep. You can also do things like stocking up on turkeys now while they're so cheap, and then using them throughout the year. (I use turkey in place of chicken in any recipe.)

• Like 1

I don't know if your Walmart has this yet but their new organic line is very reasonable. Even prices on the cashews were great.

The holidays are great for stocking up on sugar, flour, canned goods as they tend to put them on sale. I make a note on my phone of current prices and when they go off sale and stock up during the sale.

Good point!

Yes...it's safe to buy food items that you 100% know (absolutely KNOW) that you will use in the future. Yes, go ahead and stock up on the canned tomatoes when they're on sale.

Amended rule: Stick to the list! Unless it's a grocery item that you use quite frequently and you notice that it's on sale.

Exactly.  Sticking to the list isn't about skipping a great deal on family packs of chicken breasts.  It's about avoiding the things you don't need that catch your eye (or stomach) in a moment of weakness.

• Like 1

Yes, wasting left overs is a HUGE problem. I need to learn how and what to freeze. I have some deli style containers I bought recently to help with this, and just put some split pea soup in the freezer. But I think I prefer most of the time to freeze components rather than full meals. I have a few times now frozen some shredded, non seasoned chicken to use later in recipes. That was a big help because the big package of chicken costs only a bit more than the smaller package at Walmart. 

If I make a turkey, can I freeze turkey meat after it is cooked? If so, how? Just in a freezer bag or ?

Edited by ktgrok

Yes, wasting left overs is a HUGE problem. I need to learn how and what to freeze. I have some deli style containers I bought recently to help with this, and just put some split pea soup in the freezer. But I think I prefer most of the time to freeze components rather than full meals. I have a few times now frozen some shredded, non seasoned chicken to use later in recipes. That was a big help because the big package of chicken costs only a bit more than the smaller package at Walmart.

If I make a turkey, can I freeze turkey meat after it is cooked? If so, how? Just in a freezer bag or ?

Either freezer bag or container works fine in the freezer. I do it often.

If you are noticing food waste, only planning/shopping for 3-4 days at a time is a good way to gauge how much of certain meals are actually used.

It's all out of whack due to holidays and work travel, but our current "system" is that I shop on Monday night while DH feeds the kids leftovers or whatever. I buy for Tuesday - Friday and Sat morning breakfast. DH goes Saturday morning (although I may try to get him to stop on the way home Friday) and buys food for Saturday - Monday. Whatever leftovers we don't eat by Friday or Monday are frozen in single-serve containers for DH to grab and take to work.

It's not perfect. DH can easily spend 50% more than me and buy 50% less stuff, but we waste a lot less food and don't get menu fatigue by day 6 or 7. I also haven't had to take kids in a store for months, which is glorious.

I do keep some "quick foods" on hand so we don't end up ordering the kids a pizza when we're sick or tired. Dining out and take out will eat up any savings if you cut the grocery bill too much to allow for those things.

Cooking from scratch and buying in bulk are really helpful.  Cooking in bulk makes eating more convenient, too.

You can get bulk prices at Costco.  Big sacks of dry goods store well in 5 gallon buckets with Alpha Seals.  When I was seriously doing this I had two for flour (25 lbs each), one for each of white sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and pinto beans.  I bought basmati rice in 10 lb sacks and put the whole thing, sack and all, into another one.

These things all swell in cooking.  So, for instance, a cup of dry rice makes three cups cooked.  2 cups of pinto beans makes 5 1/2 cups cooked.  You can make refried beans in quantity from the pintos and freeze the leftovers in wide mouthed canning jars.  Then it's easy to soak the jar in a bowl of warm water until just the sides thaw out, and slide out the block into a pot to melt and warm up.  That freezing/thawing method also works for homemade vegetarian spaghetti sauce, white bean soup, black bean soup, many bean soup, and tomato soup.

Pizza dough made from scratch is very inexpensive, and keeps for ages in the fridge.  You pull out what you want to use, knead it lightly, let it sit out to come to room temperature and relax, and roll it out on a cookie sheet dusted with polenta as a release layer.  Yum!  When I was seriously into frugal cooking I made white bread from scratch for all bake sales.  People were thrilled.  I also sometimes made cinnamon bread for us as a treat, which is ridiculously easy.  I used the recipe in the Starving Students book (from the Reed College bookstore, thank you Jenny in FL!).

A case of canned minced clams means that you can add a can to a two can jar of tomato soup and have a good bisque, lowish carb.

Costco has salad lettuces and washed greens in bulk, and nuts, too.

You can also buy big trays of chicken parts or ground beef.

I like to make meatballs by baking them at very high temperatures before putting them in the sauce.  Some people freeze them after baking--I haven't tried this though.

Cookies--make chocolate chip cookie dough, freeze in little patties, pull out and bake when you want fresh cookies.  Or you can make chocolate crinkles or walnut balls and freeze them after baking.

Costco sells big sacks of onions and big flats of eggs and big bricks of Tillamook cheese (I use the red sharp cheddar).  You can make onion quiche and keep the leftovers in the fridge.  It's even good cold.

Plant dwarf fruit trees.  You won't believe how good fresh fruit in season is--my apricot tree has ruined me for apricot purchases forever.  And it's essentially free.  Plus once they start to bear a lot, you can start using the fruit with gay abandon.  Apricot amaretto pie, anyone?

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

I am not seeing  a lot of fruit/veg in your posts.  They are full of fiber, and thus are the building blocks of really satisfying meals.  Add some apple slices to a lunch plate, or some salad to a dinner plate, to help everyone feel full.

At one point I resolved that our grocery budget was there to nourish our bodies, and anything that didn't work towards that goal needed to be cut.  I cut soda (in favor of tap water), juices (in favor of whole fruit), most prepared food (in favor of cooking from scratch or doing without), most "kids" foods (because it is usually either processed, full of food coloring, and/or overpriced), most "white" foods (like white bread or white rice, because the "brown" versions are both healthier and more filling).  Notice that in some cases the replacement items are more costly at first glance, like with brown vs. white rice, but they save money in the big picture because they are filling and nourishing.

I also shop places like Trader Joes where I can get healthier items cheaper than my grocery store (like brown rice, or whole wheat pasta).

I have a standard grocery checklist on my phone for each of my regular stores - grocery store, Trader Joe's, BJ's, and our local produce outlet.  Everything I usually buy at a store is on the list for that store.  (Some, like milk, is on multiple lists, as it costs about the same at more than one store.)  That way  I can be sure to get everything I need each time I go to a particular store, especially BJ's and TJ's.   For example, the list for TJs reminds me to think about whether we need brown rice or ww pasta.  That way I minimize trips, and get shelf-stable basics for good prices.  Because I have the lists, I only shop BJs about once every 3-4 months, and TJs about once a month.  This way, I'm less tempted by "extras" at both stores, and I minimize shopping time.

• Like 3

Add in the little trinkets the kids whine for, the cute baby toy, some cinnamon sugar sprinkle stuff for my coffee, a new flavor of coffee even though I have tons, and some fall scented candles I never will burn, and you've got my shopping trip.

My advice? Cash only. When you only have exactly enough for your groceries, you can't overspend. Leave the card at home. It'll be a rough few weeks while your kids learn that asking for treats doesn't work anymore, but they'll get through it.

• Like 5

Our method seems to work well. Dh taught me. 

We use an envelope turned sideways. On the bottom, I write the names of 7 meals we will have for dinner. This week, for instance, it's:

Blts, chili, pork roast, lasagne, shrimp fried rice, "Potluck" (church event)

I put all the ingredients for those meals (including sides/veggies) on the left side of the envelope. I add in basics like bread, eggs, milk, almond milk, yogurt, lunchmeat, pretzels (these are staples for us! lol)...Then I might add in some special requests, usually what is on sale or just something like Thin Oreos or whatnot (from the dd). On the right side of the envelope in a parallel column, I write non-food items we need, such as dishwasher soap, deoderant and toiletries, cat litter, "tp/pt" (toilet paper/paper towels), shampoo. 

Then I head to the store. On the rare occasion I have coupons, I stuff them in the envelope to take with me. 

I go first to Aldi, and buy meat, eggs (super cheap there for organics), milk (also cheap), produce, and various other items. Then I unload and go down the street to the Food Lion (standard grocery store) to buy things that are name brand,like the aforementioned Oreos. Usually, for 3-4 people, I spend $75-100 at Aldis for the bulk of my items. I add in another $30-60 from Food Lion. 

To make the budget stretch, I look at the loss leaders in the Food Lion ad and might pick up something and plan for using it in a meal, but usually Aldi comes out cheaper. 

I agree with others--

1. Stick to a list

2. Plan leftovers

3. Shop two stores if you have to, but don't waste your time or gas cruising all over (both my stores are close). 

4. Shop sales

Also, eat up what you have, for at least one meal, until you don't have anything left. For example, we have an occasional stray chicken breast in the freezer, and I can take just the one and make chicken soup if I have to. I put rice or noodles in broth with carrots and celery and onion, and it really is enough, esp with bread. That's a super cheap meal. 

On weeks that you have to stock up,you will spend more, but it evens out. For example, we get the 12 or 24 pack of toilet paper at Aldis and don't have to include that for several weeks. Same with laundry soap and toiletries. 

You can do it! Just deliberately plan a stretch of time when you are NOT hungry or stressed, and make a plan. <3

• Like 1

My advice? Cash only. When you only have exactly enough for your groceries, you can't overspend. Leave the card at home. It'll be a rough few weeks while your kids learn that asking for treats doesn't work anymore, but they'll get through it.

I taught my kids about advertising.  I explained that the tempting things in the checkout were put there by people who *wanted* the kids to bug the parents to buy them, and that I didn't want to support that by buying the items.  We looked at the difference between "kids" yogurt and "adult" yogurt - how they were marketed, what the ingredients were, etc.  We found pink "strawberry" milk that didn't actually contain any strawberries, and we make our own strawberry milk at home.  We talked about how cereal companies slap a commercial character on their box to appeal to kids.  When asked for fast food, I asked whether they were tempted by the food or the toy.  I explained that the food wasn't that great, and the company needed to include the toy to get people to want to eat it.  I asked if they really wanted the food if I didn't get the "meal" that included the toy.  They got it pretty quickly!

• Like 3

I should mention we DO eat veggies, lol. Kids eat a lot of tomatoes (slices or cherry tomotoes depending on price and what looks good), carrots, grapes, apples, etc. Plus veggies at meals, but those I buy frozen usually and they aren't that expensive I don't feel. And then I also eat a lot of salad, but the rest of the family doesn't like salad as much. 

• Like 1

A lot of this has been about food.  So I'm not going to add there--except one thing.  Our larder is completely stuffed with things we have bought but not eaten.  We are going to eat what we get.  

We, too, are suddenly in the "need to be more frugal" camp as well.  Between health insurance and property tax increases...yipes.

I made a budget.  In listing out line-item what things cost us each month, I made some discoveries.  I was paying about $1500 a year for a health club.  I called around and found one that has what I need (I don't need the swimming facilities at the old one) for $360 a year.  They don't have yoga classes, but the community center does for $10 a month.  There's $120.  So I'll spend $480 and not $1500 next year and not really have to change much about my life.

Seeing the total amount per year made me see that small differences can make big differences over time.  

The other thing I have done is to just stay out of stores.  Make fewer trips, and if you think you neeeeeeeed something, make sure it isn't really a waaaaaaannnnnt.  I'm starting a side-hustle and I neeeeeeeed a new piece of equipment to get going on it.  But in asking around, I found someone who was willing to lend the item to me until I get my first job, at which point I can pay cash for the item.  But if I were not doing the side-hustle I would still waaaaaaant this item, that's for sure.  :0)

Making fewer trips saves on gas.  And it gives me more time to bother everyone on this board.  Haha.  

I went over to T-Mobile and got $30 a month knocked off our payment.  

One other thing about making the budget:  I called around to find out where I could get cheaper health insurance...and it turns out that I'm getting a better deal than I could by getting a new provider.  Knowing that made me more able to deal with reality.  (The difference would be 75% more money if we moved to a new provider!)

To get a bit more in the bank, I am selling some stuff we have needed to get rid of for a long time--guitar amps, microscopes, musical instruments, that sort of thing.  Just in time for Christmas, right?  Thing is, all this stuff clutters up our lives, and it would be better if the money cluttered up our checking account.  

In doing the budget, I found over $6,000 I'm cutting out of next year's spending, and that is not adding in any of the sales proceeds or anything I make from my side-hustle.  That's a lot of money to me.  And mostly, it has little effect on our lives.  It was just sort of "invisible" or "habitual" spending.

Wow you are doing amazing.  Cutting out 6k?  

You gave some great ideas on things.  Any other ideas on things to take out? 

Good luck with your side hustle.  Curious what is it?  

Selling clutter is always a great idea. 

For non-food items, I found that my best savings came from just.not.buying. I delayed as much as possible and made due with what we had. I only replaced items when absolutely necessary, and tried to be creative with what we had. I stopped going to Walmart entirely, and only go to Target maybe 2x/year -- and with a specific list in hand, and no buying impulse items unless they are clothing items or food items that are unexpectedly deeply discounted and that I know we need/will use. I also drastically reduced online shopping/browsing. The less you are in a place where you can buy, the less you spend. ;)

Look at your cell phone plan to see if you can change to a cheaper plan, or if your family can get along with fewer phones, and share. Or can you just use the home internet service you're already paying for and drop having a phone with internet service -- in other words, don't double-pay for the same service just to have the "convenience" of 2 devices with online access. For example, I was able to delay for *years* before getting a phone that requires monthly internet fees, and was paying just $10 every 3 months to have a basic flip phone for emergency calls. Compared to $30-80 per MONTH for a phone with internet service... 

Also, try delaying on purchasing online. I may browse online, and put things in a cart, but never buy right then. Allowing things to sit for awhile in an online cart removes the temptation to succumb to that subtle "click/satisfaction" impulse, or the impulse to purchase in order to feel good, and when you come back a week or month later, you can realistically evaluate whether or not you NEED the item. So many items get dumped out of my cart that way.

For clothes, we each make a list of what outerwear we need, and first go to the big second-hand store and see if we can fill those needs with gently used items. What can't be found there that fits and that we love and *really will wear*, then moves to the list of things to look for at the local stores when there are sales, or online shop when there are sales. For years, when the second-hand store had a really good selection of items, we managed to make just shoes, sox and underwear the only new clothing items we purchased.

As far as saving on food purchasing, I find that there is an inverse principle at work with saving money: spending less money takes more time. Because you need to spend a lot more time to find the deals. And then plan how to use what is cheap/on sale. And then process/prepare it.

So if you are really stretched for time, you may not realistically be able to save much money right now.

The cheapest foods usually require the most time to prepare -- buy dried beans in bulk at a super-cheap price, but then you need to plan for hours of slow cooking to get them meal-ready. Buying meats/poultry in bulk or via buy-one-get-one free sales saves money, but costs time for processing/freezing all the extra into one meal serving portions.

Learning to cook differently also takes time: learning how to use what you have on hand (i.e., the bulk items you freeze) rather than letting the taste buds run the show and having to run out and buy ingredients for what you're in the mood for. Stretching meats by making more crockpot meals, soups, and stews with meat that is just one ingredient along with vegetables, grains, rice, or pasta. And learning how to cook from scratch rather than using processed foods -- making your own chicken nuggets and meatballs and marinades and sauces in giant batches and freezing in one-meal portions. (An idea: no reason why the whole family can't be required to spend one hour once every 2 weeks all working together assembly-line style to help mass-produce a giant batch of meatballs or nuggets, or to help cut up/process fresh produce for use later that week.)

For food, start by coming up with 14 menus (two weeks of meals), and then you'll repeat), and for the next 3 months, just rotate through those menus. That will allow you to practice buying the sales and in bulk and processing the meats/poultry needed for those 14 meals. That can also reduce the time needed for shopping to once a week (with maybe a quick stop mid-week to restock fresh produce).

Rather than tossing or freezing left-overs, eat them for lunch. Whatever isn't eaten for lunch, save in the fridge for several days, and one night a week, have "cafeteria night", where all the leftovers from the week are reheated, supplemented with a salad and loaf of bread, and laid out on a counter for the family to come by and fill a plate "cafeteria style".

Good luck in finding the ways that work for you to change your buying habits! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

One more thing--having one 'new' hot dish or great veggie side with a meal of left overs can redeem it from ho hum to menu-ish.

It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.  And YOU don't have to eat it.

For that, a carb side is good--Rice pilaf (super cheap), mashed potatoes if youir leftovers include gravy, cheesy garlic bread (made with oldish homemade bread that you microwave for 10 seconds before slicing and coating and broiling), au gratin potatoes from scratch, scalloped potatoes ditto.

Or for higher fiber, less net carbs, a Costco sized can of baked beans, heated up.  Very economical if you buy those big cans.  You can always save the leftovers for the next leftover meal.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Lots of good ideas above!  Some things that have helped me are shopping with a list, shopping ALONE, and only food shopping once a week.  Unless it's totally essential, if we run out, it's just out until the next shopping day. For me that is Friday. 

I meal plan and I stick to it, only deviating when I have enough leftovers to skip a planned dinner (thus having it available later).  I work super hard to Eat All The Food.  It might mean one of us has a creative lunch as there might not be enough to make a full meal for someone. But we do it so often it's totally normal now.  

We eat the same 10 or so dinners all the time and that really helps because I don't have to keep a big variety of staples, sauces, etc. Some people like a lot more variety but we don't mind. Wednesday is going to be Mexican, whether it's tacos, fajitas, burritos.   One night is veggie night- no meat, just 4 veggies. 

I stay out of stores as much as possible, and definitely don't shop for recreation.  I also work really hard to not spend money online.  Gosh, it's easy to spend a lot of money online! 

I track my spending. How much did I spend on groceries, clothes, miscellaneous,entertainment,  or Starbucks last month? I know the answers to those questions.  Budgeting is crucial but so is tracking. I need to SEE what I spent my money on, not just know I was under or over budget. Because I might find opportunities to cut back.  Or I might find that a budget category isn't realistic, like gas or car repairs. 

Baby steps, Katie. You can do this but don't try to do it all at once. Your plate is already full, just take one idea that appeals to you and implement it.  Plus it lets your family adjust gradually instead of declaring that you're going to become Ms. Frugal. 

• Like 1

My best $$ saving tip—never walk into Target. If I don’t go in there, I don’t know what I “need.†Really, Target is my downfall. Just don’t ever go there. (I boycott Wal-Mart, but I imagine never entering Wal-Mart for people who go there would have the same effect.)

• Like 3

I don't stick to a list, I shop offers instead.  So there's only one kind of whole smoked ham that I buy, because it's the only one that tastes right to me.  It goes on sale periodically and then I design my week around it (these may not suit your needs but fried rice with ham, carbonara, pea and ham soup, etc.)

• Like 2

I finally tried grocery pick-up today both at Walmart and Kroger, and it's really nice. You see upfront what you're spending, and you don't go doing impulse stuff. You'd probably save money with mobile ordering, simply because it would contain you to a list. Walmart has $10 off $50 right now with WOWFRESH code for your first order.

We eat soups (tomato, vege), baked potatoes, sweet potatoes for lunch. You could have a salad to be low carb while the kiddies ate their baked potatoes. Potatoes are uber cheap, good for you, and a snap to make with the instant pot. My ds really likes sweet potatoes too. They aren't quite as cheap, but same gig, easy to prepare in the instant pot.

If you didn't like quinoa, did you rinse it? You have to rinse it before cooking or the saponins make it taste AWFUL, really bitter. So if that's why you didn't like it, maybe try again. Really though, wild rice from Trader Joes is only $4-5 a bag and the wonder food. I cook that up and have it as a low starch staple to throw in with meals. I'll stir it into meatballs, serve with stir fry, scramble with eggs, anything. My family likes wild rice with spaghetti sauce. Of course I don't know if you have TJ in FL, hmm.

I did rinse the quinoa but I am a super taster so maybe that's why I think it is bitter.

I am definitely going to try to grocery pick up. I think that will help a lot. And even with driving further it will still be a timesaver. Heck, I can bring a cuppa coffee in the car and have it be quiet time for me. Time it to the baby naps during the ride.

More potatoes is a good idea. I bet I could get the kids to do a make your own baked potato bar thing. And also the idea of just rotating some favorites. That would make menu planning a lot easier.

• Like 1

My dh saved our family well over $8,000 last year doing car repair himself. He looks up on YouTube how to do the work, gets the parts online, borrows the tools from autozone or goes to a rent-a-lift garage where they have all the tools.

Yes, DH is such a sweetheart and has so many DIY repairs on all the kitchen appliances, the washer, the dryer, and some basic auto things by watching youtube "how to do it" videos! :)

Back to the overall thread topic -- I really think being frugal is all about a radical lifestyle change:

- re-training the expectations of oneself and one's family's into a new, more simple "normal"

- resetting expectations to not worry about keeping up with the newest electronics and fashion styles

- getting away from the instant and disposable/consumable mindset

- having more of a Depression Era mindset of "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

- taking pleasure in free things: like walks, visiting parks, making hand crafts or art/music, volunteering, etc.

- rather than buying, enjoy learning how to build or fix things, create, and experiment or innovate

Like a previous poster said, it's not about trying to change everything all at once, but just pick one small area where you know you can successfully implement change; get confident with that as the new lifestyle choice; then add a different area to transform. Baby steps to success! :)

• Like 3

It's also important to have a goal that you are working toward, so you don't feel deprived but rather empowered.

Like, I'm choosing not to buy these steaks because that will save me $30 which I will divert to my student loans.

When I was really hitting the debt snowball hard, I looked at my debt TOTAL every week, and it was immensely satisfying to drive it down.

One book suggested plotting on a paper graph monthly and keeping that on your bedroom inside closet door so you can see your progress and it can give you a lift.

• Like 3

I don't stick to a list, I shop offers instead.  So there's only one kind of whole smoked ham that I buy, because it's the only one that tastes right to me.  It goes on sale periodically and then I design my week around it (these may not suit your needs but fried rice with ham, carbonara, pea and ham soup, etc.)

On  a similar note, I go to the local produce outlet on Mondays.  They have cheap normal produce (things like small apples), cheap exotic produce (lots of things that I don't recognize, plus variations on basics like four or five quite different kind of eggplant), fresh herbs, eggs, etc.  While you need to be picky, often their produce - especially things like salad greens - are way fresher than the grocery store, because they have such huge turnover.  Anyway - I see what produce looks good, buy it and plan my week's meals around what I bought.  This works out better than deciding on a meal that requires a certain kind of veg, then finding that it's pretty expensive or worse yet unavailable that week.  Meats, cheeses, and such are more reliably available, or can be bought when on sale then frozen for later use. 

Also, eat your fruit and veg seasonably - it's cheaper and tastes better. 

• Like 3

We're seeing the need for more frugal habits as well.  Dh is officially retired now, so only his gov't super + my relief teaching (subbing) income for us.  We are finishing up major home renovations & need to cut back to pay off those.  As I have been moving things into our new kitchen I am noticing that a lot of food stuffs have been overlooked in the past due to not being organised.  I aim to "shop" my pantry, freezer, & garden first from now on.  This will help to cut costs for us over our low / no income period of summer holidays (mid-December - mid-February)  I've begun taking 2-3 meats out of the freezer each week & planning our meals from those items, with the aim of not buying extras, but finding items in the pantry & garden to fill out the meals.  Last week I found a pack of sirloin steaks that had gotten lost in the bottom of the deep freezer.  They looked a bit freezer burnt, but I decided to marinate them in hopes that would save them.  Those steaks were delicious & one of the most tender steaks we've had in years.  I'm glad I didn't throw them out.  Other odd bits of meat I've stuck in the slow cooker with a sauce (BBQ, curry, etc.) & they have cooked up beautifully.  

My downfall is cleaning products.  I hate cleaning & when I see something new I get it thinking the cleaning will get magically done.   :laugh: I've come to realise the cleaning only gets done if I do it.  Cleaning products only work when used.  

• Like 4

My downfall is cleaning products.  I hate cleaning & when I see something new I get it thinking the cleaning will get magically done.   :laugh: I've come to realise the cleaning only gets done if I do it.  Cleaning products only work when used.  

Ha! I'm the same way. Similar issue with workout items. 

SaveSave

• Like 1