Menu

Pronoun Usage In Latin Translation

I have a question about the following sentence: "We were standing at the foot of the hill" is translated by Memoria Press as "Nos sub colle stabamus". In a lot of Latin translations the only thing necessary to indicate "we were standing" is stabamus at the end of the sentence. Why does this Latin sentence have both stabamus and nos to indicate we, and not just stabamus? I have such trouble with pronouns!

Edited by reefgazer

I agree with eagleynne about using nos for emphasis, but wanted to give imput about the verb tense, which seems wrong to me...

stabamus = we were standing (note the 'ba' tense marker for the imperfect)

stabimus = we shall/will stand (note the 'bi' future tense marker...as long as the verb is 1st or 2nd conjugation)

• Like 4

I agree with eagleynne about using nos for emphasis, but wanted to give imput about the verb tense, which seems wrong to me...

stabimus = we shall/will stand (note the 'bi' future tense marker...as long as the verb is 1st or 2nd conjugation)

You're right, it should be, "We shall stand at the foot of the hill." I didn't even look at the verb, I was only really thinking about the pronoun.

• Like 1

Ah, that's my typing mistake; I'll correct it.

OK, I do remember reading somewhere that pronouns are used for emphasis. How do I know whether or not to use a pronoun for emphasis in this manner, or is it a subjective thing?

I always mess up the pronouns. I put them I when they are not necessary and then I leave them off and the answer key has them in. I hate pronouns.
  • Like 1

I always mess up the pronouns. I put them I when they are not necessary and then I leave them off and the answer key has them in. I hate pronouns.

In Latin, pronouns are often used for emphasis, so there may be many correct translations of the same sentence.  The sentence in an answer key may not be exactly the same as the one the student writes, but both can be equally correct.

I think there's a very important lesson here for kids, though:  that translation isn't an exact thing, and there is rarely one "right" way to translate something from one language to another.  This is useful to know when reading literature in translation, or more topically, when a modern day leader in a foreign country says something that's quoted in this country, it is often key to understand who did the translation, and what other translations might be valid.

• Like 3

In Latin, pronouns are often used for emphasis, so there may be many correct translations of the same sentence.  The sentence in an answer key may not be exactly the same as the one the student writes, but both can be equally correct.

I think there's a very important lesson here for kids, though:  that translation isn't an exact thing, and there is rarely one "right" way to translate something from one language to another.  This is useful to know when reading literature in translation, or more topically, when a modern day leader in a foreign country says something that's quoted in this country, it is often key to understand who did the translation, and what other translations might be valid.

Yes, I am discovering more and more that translation is more about meaning than about a word for word type of thing.

• Like 1

Right. I would accept either translation from a kid in the case of pronouns (using one or not in their Latin translation of an English sentence,) no matter which the book used, because it isn't wrong. I might explain to them why I thought the book chose one way if it is obvious. 

• Like 1