My DS 10yo was diagnosed 2(?) years ago with Aspergers (HFA). If you have read my previous posts..this is also one of the 2 DSs that Im getting evaluated for VT as well.
Well now I think my DD might also have Aspergers. I don't know that I will seek diagnosis...but I do want to mull this over and read up on Aspergers in girls specifically. Here is what I am seeing..what do you all think?
1. As a baby she was very quiet and hardly ever slept. She liked to be on the floor more often than in my arms. She did not like to be passed off to anyone other than my DH and I. The only time she really cried was when hurt, passed off to someone else, or if someone was in her face/space. She learned to sign at a very young age and her favorite sign was "all done" which she used when people got too close to her.
2. She started talking at 9mos, walked at a normal 12mos, sounded like an adult by 16 months, and taught herself to read at 2.5
3. She was very bothered by sounds when she was younger, she tolerates these more now. She has always had issue with clothing. She wont wear most things people buy for her and complains that she can feel the letters on tagless clothing. She wears her socks inside out to not feel the seam.
4. She is pretty much self taught student. She prefers it this way. She is very independent and prefers a lot of time alone in her room. She is easily distracted by her brothers when not in her room for studying, so that is part of it, but she still likes a lot of alone time as well.
5. Even though she likes self study we have problems with her choosing the wrong lessons to complete and never getting around to the "other lessons", usually the ones she doesn't like. She will do her math, science, and history no problem...but fights grammar, logic, spelling, writing etc. She also does not turn things in. I have to ask and ask.
6. Recently, within the last year or at most 2 years, (and this is what led me to start questioning), she has basically lost all friendships and ability to connect to other girls. She doesn't "get them" and finds their interests ridiculous. She isn't interested in what other 13 yo girls are interested in. She even goes as far as disdain for the things she cannot understand. Things like boys, twitter, a popular show or movie, or whatever else the girls are discussing. These are girls she has known for years...not new acquaintances. She is interested in horses, chemistry, and math. She is very quiet in public now, looks standoffish and sulky kinda. She will not try and get into a conversation. These girls are very kind and would include her...she is excluding herself. She does play with much younger kids and talks well with adults. Sometimes she says things that are rude or come across snarky though, only she says it kinda deadpan. Not sure if that makes sense. This week she told me she knows she is socially deficient..hurt my heart. To me it seems like when they were little they all just played...I guess she didn't have to try? And now that they are older, she cannot keep up to where they are socially???
7. Is it normal to have a 13yo girl who wont shower, brush teeth, change clothes, brush hair without nagging them to death??? She just doesn't see it as important. Makes me so frustrated!
8. She has always been intense and has meltdowns occasionally. Often after too much social time. She had them more frequently when she was younger.
Anyway...am I crazy for thinking she may also be an aspie?
Edited by bluemongoose, 17 November 2017 - 08:12 PM.