Menu

I am going to make candy for Christmas this weekend

DawnM

Peppermint marshmallows. Seems difficult but isn't. We put these on the goodies plates we give out the last few years and got tons of good feedback about them.

Would you mind sharing this recipe, please?

We are peanut, tree nut, seed, dairy, wheat and egg allergic. I am so hopeful that one of the recipes posted will work for us, but not much luck yet. Anyone up for a challenge?

• Like 1

Well, I did NOT make anything this weekend.  I was too worn out.

I will try for Thanksgiving since I have a 4.5 day weekend, but I also need to clean as we have company coming Dec. 1st for 2 nights.  

So, I think I am sticking to mostly pan pressed type things......the pan buckeyes will work, and 7 layer bars, and maybe some covered pretzels, and maybe some chocolate chex mix or that bark stuff I can break up.

I hate how much my current job is sucking me dry.  I am so tired all the time.  Last year I didn't like the actual job as much, but I wasn't nearly this worn out.  I don't know which is worse/better anymore.

• Like 2

Would you mind sharing this recipe, please?

We are peanut, tree nut, seed, dairy, wheat and egg allergic. I am so hopeful that one of the recipes posted will work for us, but not much luck yet. Anyone up for a challenge?

We do marshmallows, too.  I don't have my recipe book handy, but ours uses sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and flavoring. (I do peppermint dipped in chocolate and plain vanilla for s'mores and cocoa)

If none of those ingredients are a problem, you may be able to enjoy applets and cotlets.  The walnuts in them add a bit of texture, but I'm not convinced are integral to the recipe.

• Like 2

We do marshmallows, too. I don't have my recipe book handy, but ours uses sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and flavoring. (I do peppermint dipped in chocolate and plain vanilla for s'mores and cocoa)

If none of those ingredients are a problem, you may be able to enjoy applets and cotlets. The walnuts in them add a bit of texture, but I'm not convinced are integral to the recipe.

Thank you! I’m going to try those this weekend, and experiment with leaving out the walnuts. And definitely making the chocolate dipped marshmallows.., I’m so excited!

Dawn, I hear you on the feeling tired. A holiday weekend will be a good thing. At least this is a short week.

• Like 1

Well, I did NOT make anything this weekend. I was too worn out.

I will try for Thanksgiving since I have a 4.5 day weekend, but I also need to clean as we have company coming Dec. 1st for 2 nights.

So, I think I am sticking to mostly pan pressed type things......the pan buckeyes will work, and 7 layer bars, and maybe some covered pretzels, and maybe some chocolate chex mix or that bark stuff I can break up.

I hate how much my current job is sucking me dry. I am so tired all the time. Last year I didn't like the actual job as much, but I wasn't nearly this worn out. I don't know which is worse/better anymore.

(((hugs)))

I'm sorry.

Have people mentioned that stuff called "white trash"? I hate the name.

I use Alton Brown's proportions and wing it with whatever cereal, crunchy stuff and candy* we have around. Then melt the melty discs and toss together.

*for example...I don't buy all the different types of Chex and I use whatever least expensive nuts I have around. One thing that is yummy to add though, that I'll pick up at the store if I have the time, is those potato sticks that come in a can. So good with the sweet stuff!

I'll look for the recipe.

Edit to add recipe link:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/alton-browns-white-trash-226723

Edited by unsinkable

We make the Martha Stewart marshmallows with a few modifications (you may be able to make them as is): https://www.marthastewart.com/333974/homemade-marshmallows

We substitute Lyle’s Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. I’m pretty sure I made them with rice syrup years ago and that was fine as well. We also substitute natural cane sugar instead of granulated sugar. They turn out light beige instead of white and taste carmelly. Everyone loves them. :)

This week I am making a chocolate treat where I melt chocolate chips, add raisins, dried cranberries, and a little bit of a crunchy cereal (GoGo Quinoa Cocoa, but this is totally optional). Mix all together, pour into a silicon mini muffin pan (I have a super mini one for chocolates, but you could just cover the bottom of the normal mini cups, or place as spoonfuls on parchment on a cookie sheet). Refrigerate until solid, then pop out of mold (or remove from cookie sheet) and store in sealed container in fridge until time to eat.

• Like 1

We make the Martha Stewart marshmallows with a few modifications (you may be able to make them as is): https://www.marthastewart.com/333974/homemade-marshmallows

We substitute Lyle’s Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. I’m pretty sure I made them with rice syrup years ago and that was fine as well. We also substitute natural cane sugar instead of granulated sugar. They turn out light beige instead of white and taste carmelly. Everyone loves them. :)

This week I am making a chocolate treat where I melt chocolate chips, add raisins, dried cranberries, and a little bit of a crunchy cereal (GoGo Quinoa Cocoa, but this is totally optional). Mix all together, pour into a silicon mini muffin pan (I have a super mini one for chocolates, but you could just cover the bottom of the normal mini cups, or place as spoonfuls on parchment on a cookie sheet). Refrigerate until solid, then pop out of mold (or remove from cookie sheet) and store in sealed container in fridge until time to eat.

Yum, sounds delicious! I’m going to have to try that, too.

Dawn, what are you planning to make? Your thread has been inspiring here, so thank you!