Menu

Radial head fracture... sigh

JenneinCA

I went to the gym this morning and was planning on having a great time. It was this trainer’s last day because he is opening his own gym in January. We had planned on pushing the sled around because I think it is fun and it is good exercise.

We put lots of weight on it. It was fun. And then I slipped. My knee hit the turf and my elbow was in agony. Two hours later I have radial head fracture, a sling, and an apppintment with the orthopedist at 2:20. The urgent care doctor knew exactly what I had done as soon as she touched it and I didn’t want to put my palm up.

Last year it was an ankle. The year before was a finger. I am tired of breaking bones! All stupid accidents. All involved with either biking or being at the gym. This trying to be fit thing is dangerous for my health.

Positive thoughts approeciated for the appointment this afternoon. And more positive thoughts about how to deal with an out of commission elbow. Driving? Playing music? Even playing Pokémon go? At least I can walk this time...

Ouch!  Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Methinks the best way to deal with an out of commission elbow (&more) is to expect room service and treats for a while as you delegate chores to others.  ;)

The hard part is going to be figuring out how to get dressed and use the restroom, etc.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

Thank you all for the good wishes. While very annoying, it isn’t as bad as I feared. The pain is almost nonexistent as long as a don’t try to lift anything and we have figured out the clothes problems. The real issue is personal care and I am hoping I will get better at that as time goes by.

I don’t have any advice for the rest, but for the equally important Pokemon Go, I suggest the Go Plus. You don’t have to hold the phone with one hand while using the other to catch - you just push a button. Downsides are it only uses regular balls and it’s one throw only, so you only end up catching about 40% or so, but it beats nothing. It gets Pokestops too.

Hope you can get out there hunting again soon!

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

The real issue is personal care and I am hoping I will get better at that as time goes by.

You will. It's just a process of figuring out what works.

Figuring out how to put on my own bra was probably the biggest milestone (hook it beforehand, then put it on like a t-shirt, bad arm first - bad for the bra, but it worked, and none of mine are expensive anyways). It just felt so needy and pathetic getting someone to help with that. For taking shirts off, I did it "Cornholio"-style - pulling the neck in the back up over my head. Beavis and Butthead was useful for something. My fracture was further down so the elbow didn't actually need to be immobilized, but similar would probably work.

I also wore a lot of pull-on pants for a while (I have tons of scrub pants, luckily). I could sort of manage jeans one-handed, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

We have a similar injury history, by the way. In the past few years I've broken a finger, foot (probably, anyways - didn't get officially checked on that one), and arm (and a finger at the same time). The foot was at the gym when I dropped a weight on it, and the arm was on a motorcycle. The finger (the first one) was when I tried to grab the dog's collar as she ran past me.

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 1

You will. It's just a process of figuring out what works.

Figuring out how to put on my own bra was probably the biggest milestone (hook it beforehand, then put it on like a t-shirt, bad arm first - bad for the bra, but it worked, and none of mine are expensive anyways). It just felt so needy and pathetic getting someone to help with that. For taking shirts off, I did it "Cornholio"-style - pulling the neck in the back up over my head. Beavis and Butthead was useful for something. My fracture was further down so the elbow didn't actually need to be immobilized, but similar would probably work.

I also wore a lot of pull-on pants for a while (I have tons of scrub pants, luckily). I could sort of manage jeans one-handed, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

We have a similar injury history, by the way. In the past few years I've broken a finger, foot (probably, anyways - didn't get officially checked on that one), and arm (and a finger at the same time). The foot was at the gym when I dropped a weight on it, and the arm was on a motorcycle. The finger (the first one) was when I tried to grab the dog's collar as she ran past me.

Thank you for the kind words and the reassurance that I am not the only person to have a run of broken bones. It was feeling kind of like the universe was taking aim. The elbow is getting better and my mood is better now that I know the pain is not going to come barreling at me.

I hope both of us have a happy and broken bone free year in 2019!