Menu

SOTW w/Activity Book or History Odyssey

History Odyssey uses SOTW so they are very very similar. I’d think of them both as activities to enhance SOTW. Check the samples to see what style you prefer. I’ve used both and they both have strengths. SOTW activity guide has nice narration questions,, but these were too difficult for my 1st grader. HO has better maps imo, but the AG maps aren’t bad. The AG has timeline cards, HO doesn’t. I prefer the recommended books in HO over the AG, but not a huge difference. I do not remember if the AG has the usborne encyclopedia aligned or not, HO does. HO has the kid do definitions and some history pockets which the AG doesn’t.

Thy are very similar overall though. I had both for Ancients, grade 1. For Middle Ages, grade 2, we used HO, but ordered the student pages (the consumables) from the AG for the timeline figures and color pages.

Edited by Btervet
  • Like 3

I have done SOTW with my own activities, the activity guide, and HO. HO was probably my favorite. I liked the maps better, and it was easier for me to use. I think I just liked that there was less writing on each page. I do like that there are more coloring pages in the activity guide. My girls like to color while I read.

• Like 1

Same here.  We didn't like it AT ALL.  I felt it was too disjoined. 

But I will say that my high schooler is using the American History and that one has been great for him.

Wait, are you talking about not liking K12's Human Odyssey textbooks for the middle grade world history? That is different than Pandia Press's History Odyssey. History Odyssey doesn't have an American History program, but K12 has Amerian Odyssey for high school. If that's the one your kid likes, I'm glad - I have that in the queue for next year. But we loved Human Odyssey 1-3 too.

Nevermind, I stand corrected! I didn't see it on their website.

Edited by ondreeuh

Same here.  We didn't like it AT ALL.  I felt it was too disjoined. 

But I will say that my high schooler is using the American History and that one has been great for him.

Interesting!  We also did not care for HO (level 2), but it's nice to know you had a different experience with them for high school.  We thought lvl 2 was boring. 

Just looking at it, I noticed that while they use SOTW, it's used with the chapters slightly out of order. I find this is why I don't use several supplementary programs. I like to read the book in order as there are transitions from chapter to chapter. Now some say SOTW skips around too, and that's fair, but I prefer not to skip around too much within my spines.

Pandia Press has American History for high school.

Wow - I had even looked at the Pandia Press website to confirm. On their History Odyssey page they only show ancients & medieval for level 3. Now when I look at the menu I see they have a separate page for American History. Good to know (well, actually, I shouldn't look because I don't want to start questioning my plans!).

History Odyssey is fantastic for a certain kind of learner but not for everyone. I don’t have their level one programs for ancients and medieval but going by what they have for early modern and modern level one, I’d say that the SOTW AG would probably be more fun for first graders. I think the SOTW AG have more activities.

HO here. The maps are way better as is the supplemental reading. I own the SOTW AGs, but find myself using it only as a reference for narration help and not for planning lessons. We tried just using the AG one year, but went right back to HO.

When it comes to Ancients specifically, HO skips the more problematic chapters. If you’re Christian that might bother you. We’re not so I appreciated that. A lot of the times when it came to mythology of any of the world religions past or present, I had other sources I prefered to use over SOTW anyway. HO made it a bit easier for me to see when that took place.

Just looking at it, I noticed that while they use SOTW, it's used with the chapters slightly out of order. I find this is why I don't use several supplementary programs. I like to read the book in order as there are transitions from chapter to chapter. Now some say SOTW skips around too, and that's fair, but I prefer not to skip around too much within my spines.

This bothered me too about HO. For year two, Middle Ages, I rearranged the order of HO to follow the order of SOTW chapters. It’s worked fine.

History Odyssey uses SOTW so they are very very similar. I’d think of them both as activities to enhance SOTW. Check the samples to see what style you prefer. I’ve used both and they both have strengths. SOTW activity guide has nice narration questions,, but these were too difficult for my 1st grader. HO has better maps imo, but the AG maps aren’t bad. The AG has timeline cards, HO doesn’t. I prefer the recommended books in HO over the AG, but not a huge difference. I do not remember if the AG has the usborne encyclopedia aligned or not, HO does. HO has the kid do definitions and some history pockets which the AG doesn’t.

Thy are very similar overall though. I had both for Ancients, grade 1. For Middle Ages, grade 2, we used HO, but ordered the student pages (the consumables) from the AG for the timeline figures and color pages.

This is a great idea!

Well, I tried HO level 1 and was very thankful that I got it cheap bc I kind of felt cheated.    To me, it was not a "curriculum", but just outline of "suggested reading".   Also, it I think having that many sources for that age group is overkill.  While I like things spelled out for me, I don't need to  pay for  a "list of pages to read"

So, I think SOTW is absolutely the way to go!