Menu

R&S English question

Learning Together

Anybody combine kids in Rod & Staff's English 2?

My oldest two are close in age and DS is quickly catching up to DD in skills. DD is in 2nd & DS is 1st. We started out with FLL1 together but we were all quickly banging our heads against the wall. We've moved onto R&S English 2 and are really enjoying it so far. We are halfway through Unit 2. I read it out loud to both and have 1st gr DS do a sentence or two for copywork and then oral work. 2nd gr DD does half oral and half written. I think my DS will do ok for the rest of the book, but how much more does it ramp up in 3rd gr? Will he fall behind if he did most of 2 orally? Will it be too hard? I don't want to keep him in with DD if he will just have to re-do it all next year because the 3rd gr book will be too hard. Or will I regret in the long term having him a grade ahead? I've seen others say it really ramps up around 6 or 7...

Anybody combine kids in Rod & Staff's English 2?

My oldest two are close in age and DS is quickly catching up to DD in skills. DD is in 2nd & DS is 1st. We started out with FLL1 together but we were all quickly banging our heads against the wall. We've moved onto R&S English 2 and are really enjoying it so far. We are halfway through Unit 2. I read it out loud to both and have 1st gr DS do a sentence or two for copywork and then oral work. 2nd gr DD does half oral and half written. I think my DS will do ok for the rest of the book, but how much more does it ramp up in 3rd gr? Will he fall behind if he did most of 2 orally? Will it be too hard? I don't want to keep him in with DD if he will just have to re-do it all next year because the 3rd gr book will be too hard. Or will I regret in the long term having him a grade ahead? I've seen others say it really ramps up around 6 or 7...

What is the difference in their ages? Because "grade level" doesn't mean much.

There's a big jump between sixth and seventh, but that shouldn't be a problem if he's been doing R&S all along. :-)

I would expect both children, though, to be doing everything written by fourth grade.

DD is 7.5 & DS just turned 6. He could write more if I pushed him, I just haven't felt like putting up the fight. He is well on his way in reading lessons which is one other reason I wasn't sure if I should keep him in on it.

Edited to add I think I could have him doing it all written by the end of the book this year. DD is capable of writing it all currently I just don't require it.

Edited by Learning Together

With that big an age gap, I'm not sure it's a good idea for both of them to be doing the same textbook. Seriously. Although "Preparing to Build" is quite gentle, the authors assumed that children working in it would be at least seven years old; your ds's physical skills and overall maturity are just not there yet.

Generally, it's better to teach children together for things like history and science, but to let them to English and math skills at their individual, age-appropriate ages. IMHO, "Preparing to Build" is not age appropriate for a 6yo.

• Like 1

With that big an age gap, I'm not sure it's a good idea for both of them to be doing the same textbook. Seriously. Although "Preparing to Build" is quite gentle, the authors assumed that children working in it would be at least seven years old; your ds's physical skills and overall maturity are just not there yet.

Generally, it's better to teach children together for things like history and science, but to let them to English and math skills at their individual, age-appropriate ages. IMHO, "Preparing to Build" is not age appropriate for a 6yo.

Regarding the bold section....would you mind being specific on what that maturity & the physical skills would look like? Just so I know for future reference. I don't doubt that they had it for a specific age in mind, I'm just wondering what maturity level or skills they are looking for. My girls are far ahead of my boys and I don't want to put anyone in too soon.

What would you put a 6yr old in for English....and PLEASE don't say FLL. It was a major bust here.

We do history, Bible, science & geography together. Math, handwriting, spelling and reading are all separate.

Regarding the bold section....would you mind being specific on what that maturity & the physical skills would look like? Just so I know for future reference. I don't doubt that they had it for a specific age in mind, I'm just wondering what maturity level or skills they are looking for. My girls are far ahead of my boys and I don't want to put anyone in too soon.

What would you put a 6yr old in for English....and PLEASE don't say FLL. It was a major bust here.

We do history, Bible, science & geography together. Math, handwriting, spelling and reading are all separate.

Much of it is just the physical ability to focus for long enough to do the assignments. :-) And there's the fine-motor skills needed to do the writing (because it's best of the children write their assignments; if they are so young they need to do it orally, then they are too young to be doing it).

I would not expect a six-year-old to be doing any English besides developing reading skills and penmanship, and very simple writing (which will include some spelling, but not as a focus). IOW, no grammar, no in-depth composition. Copywork and dictation is fine.

Much of it is just the physical ability to focus for long enough to do the assignments. :-) And there's the fine-motor skills needed to do the writing (because it's best of the children write their assignments; if they are so young they need to do it orally, then they are too young to be doing it).

I would not expect a six-year-old to be doing any English besides developing reading skills and penmanship, and very simple writing (which will include some spelling, but not as a focus). IOW, no grammar, no in-depth composition. Copywork and dictation is fine.

That's a good point, thank you.  I was more or less giving him some more to do so older DD doesn't get frustrated she's the only one left at the table with work to do. He is capable of sitting and paying attention but he's not quite there with the writing skills yet.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1