Menu

Pre-Algebra too easy

Last year, we did Saxon 8/7 and ds seemed to be having trouble understanding it so we did a repeat of pre-algebra with Saxon 1/2.  It is obviously now very easy for him.  He is blowing through it no problem.  Should I switch to something like AOPS pre-algebra to give him a bit more challenge or just keep it as an easy math year.  We are slogging through some mental challenges with possible ASD, so I'm hesitant to go to Algebra right now.  

I would enjoy the easy math year. Lord knows that doesn't happen too often! My son is on the last chapter of MUS geometry, and it's nearly effortless for him- but we have so much going on, and he has a lot of work in other subjects, that I am ok with it being easy. He is about to start algebra 2, and the work will ramp up again. I hope he can appreciate this break ;).

• Like 1

I would work through chapter reviews to make sure there aren't any little weak spots and then I'd move on to algebra, with the idea that it would be nice to have a time cushion for algebra 1 in case that goes slow and/or needs a second round.

AoPS Prealgebra is definitely another way to go - I love that text and presumably it wouldn't take super long for a kid who has learned the concepts already.

What I would not do is have an easy math *year* (as opposed to an easy math day or chapter).  Too long without challenge, IMO.

I have a child on the spectrum, though I imagine further in the spectrum. Things have gotten harder as we get into puberty. Math has taken the biggest hit academically in all that. We're moving through Algebra a lot slower than I expected. I think he'll be ok, but it's possible we'll need to follow up with more Algebra work after this course is over. I like that I've got time cushion to go slowly and even repeat if needed. 

When he was going through pre-algebra, I wouldn't have expected this. So I think I *might* make sure pre-algebra skills were solid and move to Algebra. If I started and realized he's not ready (might happen/I really think some of the Algebra readiness is developmental), I'd pull back and consider my options in moving back down to allow some maturity. 

You may consider having him take the  tests and if he does well on tests 1-3, for example, but struggles with test 4, you can have him go back and complete the 4 lessons preceding test 4.  I hope that makes sense. This way he can test through what he already knows and go back and practice what he has yet to master. :001_smile: Just an idea.

You may consider having him take the  tests and if he does well on tests 1-3, for example, but struggles with test 4, you can have him go back and complete the 4 lessons preceding test 4.  I hope that makes sense. This way he can test through what he already knows and go back and practice what he has yet to master. :001_smile: Just an idea.

I think this is what I'm going to do.  I know Saxon well enough to know how many lessons to back up to make sure he understands.  It's not how you're supposed to complete Saxon, but he's had a lot of the material once already.  Also, if he does struggle with Algebra when we get to it, it gives us time to back up and repeat.  

Isn't the point of Saxon to make it feel easy with all the review each day? If he's fine with it, I'd keep doing what you're doing and let it all become automatic, given the struggle you had last year.

Of course if he wants a challenge and is complaining, by all means, move along. My ASD kid was bored with 6th grade math, so I bumped him up to AoPS Prealgebra. He's definitely challenged now. :p Part of me thinks he could use the review of something like Saxon, but with the struggle each day to do any school work at all, I'll stick with AoPS for now, given that he LIKES it. There is no way he'd do 26-30 problems a day.

I recently switched my 3rd grader to Saxon, and he is finding it very easy, but again, that's kind of the point of Saxon. What I was seeing when he did Singapore type programs and Math Mammoth was that he wasn't retaining things long term. In fact, I was kind of shocked when he placed squarely into 5/4 after having started MM4. Previous kids have placed an extra grade above in Saxon when taking their placement test just for grins. He was skipping problems like multi-digit multiplication and simple long division with a single digit divisor - both topics he has done. Clearly he needed more practice with those topics. So yeah, Saxon is easy right now, and I'm keeping it that way for this year. We'll see what he needs later. I doubt he'd use Saxon long term, but for 2-3 years probably wouldn't be a bad idea to shore up those arithmetic skills before tackling the hard stuff.

Not every subject has to be challenging every year.