Menu

Re: Christmas stockings and "trinkets"

linders

Another poster (who is clearly my twin) posted about where to get rid of all the "stuff" (great thread, BTW). and mentioned "What to do for Christmas stockings now."

Same issue here a few years ago, which is when I moved to a "consumables" stocking philosophy. Food, gift cards, cool /pencils (don't know where they all disappear to), socks (ditto), funny bandaids. You get the idea. No more cute little games, funny trinkets, etc.

• Like 13

I do this largely, though I also will put in things they actually need.  They are each getting a nice water bottle this year (on clearance!) as they've lost the tops to the ones they have.  Some candy.  Underwear and possibly mittens or gloves.  Each will get a gift certificate to the book shop around the corner.  The oldest wants some make-up, and I have fancy hair gel in a tin for ds7.  I will give dd9 a cheap watch.

Those things aren't all consumable, but they are things we would need to get anyway.  I try and fancy them up a bit - St Nick buys the exciting toothbrushes that mom never even looks at, for example.

• Like 5

My kids got headlamps one year. like this

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/113124?feat=headlamp-SR0&page=l-l-bean-trailblazer-360-headlamp&csp=a

I think the ones I found were cheaper. My older two have used them for years. My oldest noted he liked the headlamp in his dorm room for reading in bed. 

I've also done gloves. 

I don't know what I'll do this year. 

• Like 1

Another poster (who is clearly my twin) posted about where to get rid of all the "stuff" (great thread, BTW). and mentioned "What to do for Christmas stockings now."

Same issue here a few years ago, which is when I moved to a "consumables" stocking philosophy. Food, gift cards, cool /pencils (don't know where they all disappear to), socks (ditto), funny bandaids. You get the idea. No more cute little games, funny trinkets, etc.

I knew I had a twin out there somewhere -- LOL.

Re: stockings -- wish I had never gotten those big ones from Pottery Barn.  They've had them since their first Christmas and I'm not changing them now.  But...what was I thinking?!?!?!?

• Like 5

My kids always get a yearly calendar. They look forward to it every year. Two of mine like beauty care products, so they get those. Always a new toothbrush. I've done new winter hats and cozy socks. I try to make them things they need anyway or are going to need for the upcoming season, along with some consumable gifts. If I have heard a kid mention wanting a certain something, like a watch, then I get it for their stocking. When they were little I always put a craft or small building set (think Lego) kit as they were allowed to open stockings before we were up (but not until after 7!) and that kept them busy for a little while. 

I have always done consumables in the stocking, but this year I was sucked in by the Stocking Stuffers section of the Rainbow Resource Christmas catalog. So in addition to the usual, my kiddos are getting Perplexus mini and Drakko, a Venus fly trap (plant loving kiddo) and a gem dig. :p

I couldn't resist.

I like to include a tree ornament, themed to a favorite activity or movie character (one son always gets Star Wars ornaments, one dd got a little martial arts female figure once, etc.) which go on our tree...and they will take with them when they leave home for their own trees.  Plus each of the four gets a Ghiradelli peppermint bark bar, and son with autism expects his foil-wrapped Lindt Santa.  Everyone is so "happy" to get new fancy battery-operated toothbrushes, too ;-)

Think Geek has a lot of good stuff for stocking stuffers for older kids/teens, too.   Plush microbes are fun to get (cute little brain cell anyone?)

And the 26-year-old man gets his My Little Pony toy or figure (he is a Brony)

Baking supplies/decorations are good, too, if the kid/teen bakes - as my dds do.

Our tradition is fancy fruit we don't normally have like pomegranates and whole coconut.  Or nuts in the shell.  The more work/effort it takes the eat, the better.   Dd is a teen now so it doesn't apply as much but nothing seemed to calm the holiday crazies like sitting her down with a pomegranate or a pile of nuts with the cracker to work on for an hour or two.  A little messy but at least healthy.

• Like 3

We also do a tree ornament.  This was a tradition in both dh's and my family growing up and it is really fun for dd to look at all of our childhood ornaments when decorating the tree.  She now has a healthy collection of her own for when she leaves home.  We also have a rule that EVERY single ornament must go on the tree, no matter how ugly, damaged, or tacky.  With our ever-growing collection, our tree is a droopy but lovely mess.  It is temporary as one day in the not-so-distant future, all of dd's ornaments will be occupying a new tree.

If you do this though, do be willing to let go of the tradition.  Of all of our siblings, dh and I are the only ones who actually took our ornaments and carried on the tradition.  One sibling has chosen not to include her childhood ornaments on her trees and the other two don't even decorate trees.  This is very upsetting to our mothers.  We have gone in with our eyes wide open that this tradition might end when dd becomes an adult should she so choose.  But it is still worth doing for the here and now. 

So far, mine are getting warm socks, a Minecraft book each, and a t-shirt I'm having made for them.

We've done an ornament a year, but I've not put them in their stockings.  They always get them when we are decorating the tree.  Santa is the filler of the stockings.  Wish I hadn't started that too -- LOL.

My two rules when it comes to stockings - 1. It must fit inside (which my DH bemoans because he overbuys due to forgetting all the things we've already gotten.) 2. We have a $20 limit on stocksings stuffers not counting any handmade things I make throughout the year.

Some of my go to items to put into them:

Handknit socks and/or hat

Lip Balm

Notepad

Fun Pencils or Gel Pens

Stencils

Stickers

Toothbrush

Small Craft Project

Small Lego set or Lego Figures

Hot Chocolate packet

Christmas Candy - one or two things

• Like 1

I was just doing some shopping online before I came in here this morning. Haven't checked out yet but one thing

I will absolutely put in their stockings (including mine) are a pair of earbuds! Those darn things like to go visit the

pens and pencils, it seems, and ne'er come back! Doesn't take up a lot of room, not expensive (thankfully),

and useful!

• Like 3

Oh, dear. I have to fill a stocking for a soon to be 21 year old. Any ideas?

Spare charging cables and earbud headsets. I put a charging cable in all the bags that I usually use just in case my phone battery runs low. Starbucks, Target and many places have power outlets so I could still charge my phone up to stay contactable on a long day out.

Power banks are good too if your 21 year old has a phone that doesn’t hold a charge well anymore. I rely on powerbanks when my iPhone 5 battery was dying and I was waiting for iPhone 6 to be on sale. Now I still pack a small power bank if I am going to an outdoor event all day because I love taking lots of photos and videos of my kids and that drains the battery.

• Like 1

Tape

Bandaids

Hair do-dads

Earrings or small jewelry

Small GC or coupons for treats

Nail clippers/manicure sets

Nice scissors

Small hobby accessories/tools — screwdriver, fold up scissors, retractable tape measures

Fun school/art supplies — erasers, pencils, nicer pens than Mom buys, markers

Batteries

Chargers, charger boxes

Candy

Snacks

Small containers of pringles were a huge hit with my kiddos one year, maybe because they didn’t have to share

Lip balm/gloss/flavored chapstick

Fun socks

Hat and mittens — we always have waterproof ones, but often MIL tucks a spare set into stockings, and that’s always nice.

We get each child an ornament every year. You have to be careful if you have a breakable one in there. Stocking stuffers we've done in the past: lego minifigs, minecraft creatures, small hand lotion, chapstick, chocolate coins, pencils, erasers, stickers, nail polish, cars. 

I always put a specialty soda in the stocking to take up room.  Adults will often get a bottle of beer -- one of the holiday beers that have fun graphics on the front. 

They have those "bulb shaped" sodas around Christmas too. I might try getting one of those for my son who asked for NO CANDY this year.

• Like 1

Our tradition is fancy fruit we don't normally have like pomegranates and whole coconut.  Or nuts in the shell.  The more work/effort it takes the eat, the better.   Dd is a teen now so it doesn't apply as much but nothing seemed to calm the holiday crazies like sitting her down with a pomegranate or a pile of nuts with the cracker to work on for an hour or two.  A little messy but at least healthy.

A pomegranate is a great idea! I grew up always getting and apple, orange, and nuts in our stockings. But apples aren't exciting to our kids (we have tons from our trees) and nuts aren't their favorites. But a pomegranate would be exciting! Thanks for the idea!

A pomegranate is a great idea! ... But a pomegranate would be exciting!

Pomegranate juice stains. My DS12 doesn’t mind food stained white T-shirts but DS11 does mind food stains. He was upset until we got home and clean out the stains from his red shirt. So now when he eats a pomegranate, he wants me to get the seeds out for him instead of doing it himself.

Our farmers market regularly sells pomegranates.

A pomegranate is a great idea! I grew up always getting and apple, orange, and nuts in our stockings. But apples aren't exciting to our kids (we have tons from our trees) and nuts aren't their favorites. But a pomegranate would be exciting! Thanks for the idea!

I agree! My DD loves pomegranates and I seldom buy them. The other kiddo often asks for me to buy a coconut at the grocery store (and I don't). Now I know what to put in the toe of their stockings!

Will have to come back to read the responses, but at 21, I was a broke college student. I begged people to get me deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, face stuff (I used Mary Kay at that point), quarters for laundry, etc. so that I could save my incidental money for little things that could be fun--sometimes I wanted to take a friend more broke than me out for dessert, or I just needed a new CD or something. This was before gift cards were such a big thing (at least in my area) or and before there were lots of options for listening to music (and radio on campus was limited--out in the corn fields). 

• Like 7

We ONLY do stockings....grandparents get enough gifts & I find myself buying just to buy. So we quit doing other gifts & just do stockings. 

So every year each kid gets new socks & undies and dried fruit in their stockings.

In past years they each got new water bottles, a movie that went with their character, their favorite tea, chocolate orange, mandarin oranges, a favorite candy bar.... when they were really young they each got a roll of tape, a package of wipes, a pudding cup & box of animal crackers.

This year I'm thinking of duct tape for each in their favorite color.

• Like 1

Our children struggle sleeping to a reasonable time on Christmas morning. The anticipation keeps them too wired. After the year where they started asking if they could get up at 3AM, we decided to let them open stockings and then play quietly in their rooms until a more reasonable hour. They actually tend to sleep later (or go back to sleep) this way. So, I generally put a few snacks, some sort of puzzle, a book for kids who can read, coloring books for kids who can't yet, matchbox cars, I did playdoh one year but I really regretted that...

We also have HUGE stockings...and so a can of pringles does a pretty decent job of filling a lot of the stocking...and last year I bought a package of those little boxes of cereal...and divided it up among the kids.(they each got 2 little boxes)..and they had snacks for our car ride the next day to grandparents house. I also have use pudding cups, socks, mittens or gloves...scarves can be bulky too.  My kids all teens...so little things are not useful any more...bigger and fewer is perfectly fine.  

• Like 2

We also have HUGE stockings...and so a can of pringles does a pretty decent job of filling a lot of the stocking...and last year I bought a package of those little boxes of cereal...and divided it up among the kids.(they each got 2 little boxes)..and they had snacks for our car ride the next day to grandparents house. I also have use pudding cups, socks, mittens or gloves...scarves can be bulky too.  My kids all teens...so little things are not useful any more...bigger and fewer is perfectly fine.  

I learned the Pringles trick here many years ago and it has saved me so much money! It takes up half the kids' stockings and they love having their own can, since I don't normally buy potato chips. 

• Like 2

I buy the stocking stuffers for our girls and DH (they are supposed to buy for me...).

I'm having surgery the week before Christmas so I went ahead and purchased most of their goodies this past week.

So far they each have 2 pairs of socks (cute patterns and even DH loves his crazy socks! The girls also have bath fizzies and EOS lip balm.

Everyone gets some chocolates.  DH and 2 girls get beef jerky (other girl is a veg and has another edible that works for her).  The big girls will get gift cards (gas/restaurant/itunes) and youngest will get itunes card and a piece of jewelry.

My stocking has been hit or miss-- last year they did great-- year before they all forgot and mine was pretty much empty (DH grabbed some candy from the candy jar in living room...grrr).

I can't give my dd much candy this year--she gets tummy trouble with sugar and is dairy-free, so only dark chocolate really works for her, and not much of that to boot. 

We used to give a  large beefstick to our sons (my brothers got that in my FOO) but one is healthier than that now. 

I find I spend way too much! Cosmetics are costly and not very big--a couple of nail polishes and you are already at 6 bucks or more (and that's the cheap kind) and they aren't very big! So maybe not those this year. 

I don't know. 

We did hit up a music store for a new viola for dd and they had fun things with music patterns on them, so maybe a scarf or something. 

I have always done this. My kids get replacements on bobby pins, ponytail holders, chapsticks, lotions, skin creams, lotions, etc. It is not like during the year that I won't buy any, lol, but at Christmas they get stocked up on all new stuffs.  For dh I get candy and beef jerkies. 

For the little one I also throw in things like washable paints or crayons or whatever we are running low on. I also get her bath paints or silly things that I don't usually get. She doesn't need makeup brushes and razors, so she gets a few more fun stuffs.  I did get some LPS toys to add to her collection, but they are small and go in the box we already have. And I don't care if they get lost. I like small toys for the diaper bag (Ok no longer diapers, but the out and about bag that I keep in the car for emergencies is too long to type everytime,) for whipping out places. 

I watched a YouTube today and a mom was just showing all of this stuff that she was putting her adult kids' stockings- trinkets, collectible plastic stuff of Star Wars and other movies, and I was like what a waste. Who can keep all of that??? It is just a mess and clutter. 

I have older kids, and I get them consumables I don't buy the rest of the year.  A jar of Jif (I buy Smuckers without sugar), Fruit Loops and Poptarts are a few of their favorites.  

This is what I do in Easter Baskets. I don't do easter gifts, but the basket is full of Fruit Loops and things like that. Christmas stockings I resupply bath stuffs and candy.

I buy the stocking stuffers for our girls and DH (they are supposed to buy for me...).

I'm having surgery the week before Christmas so I went ahead and purchased most of their goodies this past week.

So far they each have 2 pairs of socks (cute patterns and even DH loves his crazy socks! The girls also have bath fizzies and EOS lip balm.

Everyone gets some chocolates.  DH and 2 girls get beef jerky (other girl is a veg and has another edible that works for her).  The big girls will get gift cards (gas/restaurant/itunes) and youngest will get itunes card and a piece of jewelry.

My stocking has been hit or miss-- last year they did great-- year before they all forgot and mine was pretty much empty (DH grabbed some candy from the candy jar in living room...grrr).

I have given up on the family doing mine. Last year I decided whatever I bought the teens I would get a version for me. So if I got them ponytails, I restocked mine. When I got them face soap they like, I got a new one of mine. Then if dh remembers to put something in mine. Great. It adds to it. If not. I won't feel like I never have chapstick after I just restocked the whole rest of the family. :) 

• Like 1

Tape - all kinds

Earbuds

Extra phone chargers

Knife

Boot cleaning kit

Flashlights/headlamps

Chapstick

Beef jerky

Toothbrush

Batteries

Deck of cards, card games

Hot hands (or whatever those things out in pockets to keep hands warm),

And of course favorite candy, gum & snacks

I like the phone charger idea. They are cheap and always go out! Earbuds also get lost a lot. That is good too. Thanks for ideas. 

I would do the same as I do for my teens: makeups, nail clippers, tweezers, lotions, soaps (in nice scents,) ponytail holders, candy, chapsticks, toothbrushes, etc.  A 20 something would probably really appreciate this stuff as it will save them some $. I remember a boss of mine saying the best gift he got in college was a huge box filled with deoderants, toilet papers, kleenex, etc from his sister the first year he was on his own financially! That always stuck with me. 

• Like 2

Mine are all in that age range. We've done chocolate oranges in the toe for years, so that is a must. This year the ones who like to hike are getting nice hiking socks. The others will get some other kind of socks! 

I usually put in some "weapon" of some sort like silly string. Then they can have a fight on Christmas morning.  :tongue_smilie:  Actually, they seem to love it. 

Other stuff I've done includes other food items or toiletry stuff they could use. Sometimes a small logic puzzle of some sort. 

• Like 2

This is what I do in Easter Baskets. I don't do easter gifts, but the basket is full of Fruit Loops and things like that. Christmas stockings I resupply bath stuffs and candy.

For the last few years I've done an Annie's-themed basket for either Equinox or Easter (depending on when I get it done)--bunny-shaped mac and cheese, fruit gummies, crackers, etc. She loves the Annie's stuff and I don't buy it as often since it's usually more expensive.

For stockings, one year when she was much younger I bought the package with the little individual boxes of sugary cereal and made the mistake of not paying attention to how much she had. Two boxes of Froot Loops and she was bouncing off the walls! Other things I've done are buy the large bags of good Halloween candy on clearance to use for stockings (especially as "Nightmare Before Christmas" is a perennial favorite here), buy bulk favorite snacks like sesame sticks or pistachios and put them in ziploc bags for each person, or a note to "look in the fridge" for a favorite specialty cheese. World Market has lots of little gift basket-sized things of sausages, jams, and the like, along with unusual candy or snacks. The Asian grocery store is good for that sort of thing as well. Last year I got a jar of special stuffed olives because I'm the only one in the family that likes them.

A magazine rolled up takes up a lot of room, and subscriptions can be really cheap for some. Crossword, word search, or logic puzzle books are also big. 

If you have a college student without a car at school, Uber gift cards might be good.

Old Navy has their novelty sock sets half off today (actually half off full purchase with a few exceptions of things by the register, gift cards, and clearance). They'll have their cozy socks $1 a pair for Black Friday. I went today and got sets of three pairs of low cut fun socks for $2.50 and sets of 5 pairs for $5. My daughter loves mismatching socks and doesn't eat much chocolate, so she's getting a homegrown sock Advent calendar this year--ones with rabbits, foxes, nuts, cats, mice, owls, trees, foxes, squirrels, other animals, and fun patterns.

Edited by KarenNC

Mostly consumables in ours. Chocolate, food treats, nice soaps & lotions (think along the lines of Bath & Body Works) for my stocking (granted, I buy the stuff all year round, as I need it, but it gives dh something easy to pick up). Usually a gift card or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

I fill stockings except mine.

Everyone gets something different. Stockings in our house have always been a small fun gift related to that child. For instance, DD 20 really likes the character Harly Quinn. So she is getting a small Lego set featuring that character. Younger ds is getting a small game. Older ds I still need to figure out. One year he got a mug onto which you can add legos. I get dh something too.

It took dh a few years to figure out that no one put anything in my stocking. The dog gets a stocking and dd fills it.

Now dh adds candy to all the stockings. He doesn't look for a small gift for me. So now I get not great candy I don't need. Everyone else gets that plus something special I picked.

Anyway, that's my gripe about stockings.

Sorry for the tangent.

I used to get a bunch of dollar store stuff plus snacks they never get (fruit snacks, pop tarts, single serving pringles, etc. ) this year I think I’ll spend a little more because the girls are in desperate need of tights, and two kids are in need of long sleeved shirts. It’s very tight this year, so I need to buy necessities that I’d have to buy any way. We don’t do stockings for grown ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk