Menu

Cleaning painted walls vs. "re"painting

sheryl

Our family room is semi-gloss white and we painted it over 20 years ago!  It's been kept in pretty good condition so here's my question with that in mind. 

There is a "shadow" built up on the walls.  I know it's from our wood-burning insert in which we do burn fires (on occasion in the winter) and just b/c well, it's over 20 years.  We are slooooooowly doing this and that to put our house on the market (that won't be for some time yet). 

Is there a way to "clean" the walls  WELL to avoid repainting.  We have so many other things to do (inside and out).  I'm hoping there is some technique that would remove the "shadow" and it will be quicker (and less expensive) than repainting. 

We've used water and sponge but to no avail.  It does NOT work.  And, it may be a fine layer of "ash" from the insert that spills out.  If that's the case I don't know if it would be possible to clean.  If so though, with what product and technique?

I second the magic eraser and water. Our foyer/stairwell is very tall and after 20 years the wall going up the stairs was super grubby. Two decades of kids, grandkids, and even elderly parents running hands on the walls as they went upstairs.  Really didn't want to repaint because we'd have to hire that done due to the high ceiling over the curved stairway.  It took me three cleaning sessions but it looks good now. This is old plaster but I think it's worth a chance on your walls.   Keep that magic eraser wet, wipe it down with a clean dry cloth as you go (otherwise the dirty water just dries on your wall and it looks bad),  and be prepared that it might take more than one cleaning. 

• Like 2

I second the magic eraser and water. Our foyer/stairwell is very tall and after 20 years the wall going up the stairs was super grubby. Two decades of kids, grandkids, and even elderly parents running hands on the walls as they went upstairs.  Really didn't want to repaint because we'd have to hire that done due to the high ceiling over the curved stairway.  It took me three cleaning sessions but it looks good now. This is old plaster but I think it's worth a chance on your walls.   Keep that magic eraser wet, wipe it down with a clean dry cloth as you go (otherwise the dirty water just dries on your wall and it looks bad),  and be prepared that it might take more than one cleaning. 

I'm not familiar with the product.  Is it really the size of an eraser?  That would take forever and hence my concern and reason for thinking repainting would be quicker.

Do you have a brand/link to the item?  :) 

I'm not familiar with the product.  Is it really the size of an eraser?  That would take forever and hence my concern and reason for thinking repainting would be quicker.

Do you have a brand/link to the item?  :)

Magic Erasers are the size of a sponge, but they work more like a super-super-fine abrasive.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

Yup. Magic eraser does the job, but for a whole room, repainting produces WAY better results for the time investment. Repainting also just perks up a room in a way that cleaning does not.

• Like 2

There are cheap generic magic erasers online that work the same and are a fraction of the cost. I got a huge pack from alibaba.com awhile back.

Eta: I would repaint, too, rather than clean the whole thing. I kind of like to paint anyway. :)

Edited by Sandwalker
  • Like 1

TSP (trisodium pbosphate) cleaner from the hardware store is the best cleaner for painted walls. It is around $5 I think. If it doesn't work well enough to be pretty you'll at least have a clean surface for new paint to stick to.

Edited by KaleSprouts
  • Like 2

Magic Erasers are abrasive, and will remove the sheen from the semi-gloss paint.  The work great for scuff marks and crayon and stuff like that, but not for an entire wall.  You will see streaks and swirls where the paint has been rubbed.

If there is a haze all over the walls, you will want to wash them before painting, otherwise the paint might not stick well.  TSP, which KaleSprouts mentioned, will remove grease, grime, and hopefully the haze.  You can then see the condition of the paint.  You might be able to go a little longer before painting.  But, for the best looking walls, 20 years is as long as any paint can be expected to hold up.  It really is time to paint.

• Like 1

I would just repaint.  I'm sure that 20 year old paint could use refresh especially if you're trying to sell.

Paint and supplies are not that expensive.  Painting (for me) would be much less tedious than trying to clean all the walls.

This would be my recommendation too.  I *love* the Magic Eraser-it is a wonder.  But, you will need to wash the *entire* wall or you'll see the streaks and places you missed.  It would probably faster to repaint. 

• Like 1