Menu

Common App home school section- necessary to report all standardized test scores?

yvonne

On the Common App, "Home School" section, there are three sections asking  1) provide info about motivation for home schooling, etc. 2) explain grading scale..., 3) "if student has taken courses from a distance learning program.... In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below."

The schools my son is applying to do not require reporting all scores, so we did not report a disappointing Math 2 score on the transcript. (He'll be retaking it on Dec 2, but if the score is not excellent, we won't report it.)

Do I really have to report it on this section of the Common App?

Thanks!

yvonne, how are you handling that December 2 score?  DS is also taking a subject test on December 2, and I was hoping to be able to see it before it is sent to the school.  However, at least one of the schools says they accept the December scores, but that you have to list them when you register as one of the schools to receive scores.  So we would be sending it blind.  I am just curious if it is sufficient to pay for rush/priority sending after receiving the score to still get it there by January 1. 

• Like 1

You don't need to self-report any scores on the Common App. In fact, if applying to a combination of test-optional and test-required schools, be careful to either 1. Not self-report to any or 2. Send the test-optional schools as a batch without the scores self-reported. Wow. That was a mouthful.

Grantmom, I would just send them blind.They are only going to take the highest. Really, truly. It would really stink if scores were delayed and you couldn't even overnight those scores in time.

If the student has a really good gauge when done with the test (really thinks the scores are horrible) you could always cancel within the deadline.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

yvonne, how are you handling that December 2 score?  DS is also taking a subject test on December 2, and I was hoping to be able to see it before it is sent to the school.  However, at least one of the schools says they accept the December scores, but that you have to list them when you register as one of the schools to receive scores.  So we would be sending it blind.  I am just curious if it is sufficient to pay for rush/priority sending after receiving the score to still get it there by January 1. 

We're in a similar quandary. One son is applying to one school that requires homeschoolers to take 2 SAT subject exams, one of which must be math. Dec will be the last test date available, so he'll have to send either the Aug score or the Dec score, whichever is higher.

I think we will wait to see the Dec score and then send whichever is higher.  The app is due by Jan 5, so, if the CB "When to Expect Scores" is correct (yeah, I know, they don't have a great track record), we should be able to see the score first, decide which to send, and get it there on time. 

ETA: If a specific SAT subject score were NOT required by the college, I would wait to see the score and then send it. If that particular score is not required, sending it in late won't hold up the application.   Wouldn't the school get the score report, even after the app is submitted?  Does anyone know--will a college consider test scores that are sent after the app has been submitted?

Edited by yvonne

Hm. Now I'm wondering if my son should take both the SAT Math 1 & Math 2 exams on Dec 2... Another thread.... :)

There's no reason to take Math 1 if he is taking Math 2. Generally a school that requires two SAT subject tests wants to see scores in two different areas of study. However, he could call and ask the admissions office if taking those two exams would fulfill the requirement for them. Sometimes the requirement is really more of a suggestion (and sometimes a suggestion is a polite requirement! Depends on the school.)

Colleges do consider scores that arrive after the app is submitted, but, again, worth calling to clarify the question directly with the school.

• Like 2

He wouldn't take both Math 1 & 2 to fill the school's requirement for two SAT subject scores; one math and one non-math is req'd. I was thinking he might score higher on the Math 1, but after reading past threads on the two, it doesn't look like it.

So, Math 2 it is.  Will delete that from my last post.

• Like 1

You can always have him take a practice test for each and see how he does.  I have read (here, I think) that Math 2 tends to have a better curve, or whatever they call it for adjusting the score.  He can decide the day of which one he wants to take; they're both in the same booklet.  

• Like 1