Menu

Help me with menu planning for gluten free and/or vegan guests please

Hannah

We're expecting overseas guests next weekend.  They are a family with whom we were close friends before they emigrated about 8 years ago.  In the meantime the mom eats gluten free and the eldest daughter is vegan.  They don't eat anything processed.  Dh or  I will pick them up at the airport at 5am and they will be at our house by 6h30 on Saturday and leave again on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not the most creative chef and am a bit stumped on the menu.

Breakfast

Fruit salad with nuts on the side

Full-fat plain yoghurt

Bacon and eggs or omelette for the non-vegans.

Lunch

Barbeque.  Large mushrooms for the vegan

Vegetable sides

What can we do for dessert? 

Snacks

Jar of nuts

Fruit

Popcorn

Dinner

All I can think of is a vegetable soup or a large salad.

Artisan bread for those that can eat it (or would this be rude to the gluten-free eater?)

What would satisfy everyone?

Breakfast

Same as yesterday

Lunch

It seems boring to do meat and sides again, but I can't come up with anything better.

(edited for typos)

Edited by Hannah

I'd be kinda worried about your vegan guest having just fruit salad + nuts for breakfast. Would they be interested in some oatmeal/porridge? That's relatively easy to whip up. 

Lunch dessert -- You might be fruited out by now, but what about berries with whipped cream on the side? Or some kind of meringue? (it's just egg whites + sugar so that shouldn't be too processed). 

Supper -- I'm not sure on how filling the vegetable soup would be. What about some sort of beans? Personally I like lentils because I don't have to mess around with pre-soaking. I find them very filling, tasty, and they have a fair amount of protein (essential for me). I don't think bread would be rude to the gluten-free eater although I think it would be nice to have a starch that she could eat as well. 

• Like 4

Depends on how much work you want to put into it.  You can get gluten free steel cut oats.  Add some fruit and nut options and you've got healthy and gluten free while being vegan.  

They make gluten free pretzels and tortilla chips with gluten free salsa.  

There are a lot of salad options.

Minestrone is vegan and can be gluten free if you skip the noodles. 

Baked sweet potatoes topped with beans.

Avocado dip with gluten free chips.  

Quinoa.

• Like 2

Does she eat gluten free out of choice or do you have to worry about cross contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly out of choice I believe.  I know she complained of cramps and stomach problems when they moved.  Apparently there is more gluten in the bread in Australia than here in South Africa.

Can you get specialty gluten free foods in South Africa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speciality foods have finally reached our town!  There is a pharmacy chain that now has an aisle of health foods which include gluten free, all kinds of flours and other products, so I would be able to find shelf-stable items like a bread mix and quinoa..

• Like 2

Check out some recipes on gf vegan sites. 

breakfast Vegan GF pancakes https://minimalistbaker.com/life-changing-banana-walnut-pancakes-gluten-free/

lunch - coconut curried lentils https://minimalistbaker.com/coconut-curried-golden-lentils-20-minutes/

dinner - quinoa & veg stuffed portobellos https://minimalistbaker.com/quinoa-vegetable-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms/

That site has TONS of gf vegan dessert recipes. 

(btw, the vegan can't eat yoghurt either _ that wasn't clear on your menu )

• Like 2

A few more ideas:

Breakfasts:

Scrambled tofu & veggies (like this http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/easy-vegan-breakfast-recipe-scrambled-tofu )

Breakfast potatoes or hash browns 

Lunch dessert:

Vegan peanut butter Rice Krispie treats (like this: https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Vegan-Rice-Krispies-Treats-35693127 )

Frozen banana "ice cream" with chocolate sauce (like this:  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414 )

Dinner:

Vegetable curry over rice

vegetarian chili over baked potatoes

veggie stir-fry over rice

Mujadarra (like this: https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mujadara-lentils-and-rice-with-crispy-onions/ ) and a big salad

• Like 1

Mushroom-butternut squash risotto made with veggie stock, parmesan on the side for non-vegans

homemade vegan burger patties (lentil or bean based), regular and gf buns

black bean tostadas with many topping options

quinoa salad as a side with anything

GF pasta with a veggie-heavy tomato sauce

breakfasts:

gf oatmeal with various toppings

roast sweet potatoes

natural peanut butter or almond butter on fruit slices, gf crackers

smoothies possibly?  

muffins or quick breads made with almond flour will help keep people full

Lunches:

large lunch salads are good, make sure to have some avocado on hand for the vegan to help fill her up.  

GF bread and regular bread

• Like 1

My rule of thumb for feeding GF or vegan is to go outside my culture to ones that are generally GF or vegan.  Mexican food can be adapted easily with a base of corn, beans, vegetables, spices.  Indian food works well.  Chinese food, real Chinese, not American, works well.  Thai, as well. 

• Like 4

My rule of thumb for feeding GF or vegan is to go outside my culture to ones that are generally GF or vegan. Mexican food can be adapted easily with a base of corn, beans, vegetables, spices. Indian food works well. Chinese food, real Chinese, not American, works well. Thai, as well.

A taco bar is a great idea for one meal. You could have all the options in different containers so each person can customize. Meat, beans, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, olives, etc.

• Like 2

A taco bar is a great idea for one meal. You could have all the options in different containers so each person can customize. Meat, beans, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, olives, etc.

Ooh, now you've given me another idea -- baked potato bar! There are some pretty cool toppings for potatoes that happen to be vegan (curried beans is delicious for one). 

• Like 3

My rule of thumb for feeding GF or vegan is to go outside my culture to ones that are generally GF or vegan. Mexican food can be adapted easily with a base of corn, beans, vegetables, spices. Indian food works well. Chinese food, real Chinese, not American, works well. Thai, as well.

If you go with Chinese food (or any Asian food) make sure that you use gluten free soy sauce or tamari.

• Like 1