#1 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

No debate!

I am aware this is a topic many here will disagree on. That's fine, and I respect that but PLEASE don't post on this thread. Downvote it if you need an outlet to express your disapproval.

Australia has been lagging behind the rest of the English speaking world on marriage equality. Parliament is able to change the wording of the marriage act, but due to political shenanigans, the public was first  'consulted' by a very expensive postal survey on the matter.

Well, the yes vote won!!! A majority of Australians think marriage equality for LBGT people should go ahead. 

Not getting too excited...Parliament still has to act, and there's a very good chance it won't act soon, as No voters in Parliament have signalled that they want wide ranging discrimination against LBGT people legislated as acceptable in response to a Marriage Equality Bill. 

So no, my lesbian dd still can't get married - but the majority of her fellow citizens think she - and her future relationship - deserves equal treatment under the law. 

YAY!!

We may join you in the new century some time before 2020, I hope!

• CindyH in NC, Suzanne in ABQ, KarenNC and 45 others like this

#2 Innisfree

Innisfree

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

I'm happy for you and your dd, and hope Parliament decides to admit you all to the 21st century without further delay. Speed the day. I hope this gives your dd a sense of optimism for the future.
  • Sadie likes this

#3 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17738 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hoping for an equitable outcome. I sometimes forget that the US is not last on everything progressive; sometimes it feels that way. But we’re still clinging to our cups and ounces and miles and feet...
  • Amy in NH, Carrie12345, beckyjo and 6 others like this

#4 Dotwithaperiod

Dotwithaperiod

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5705 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

How sweet. Some adults in charge feel the need to "compromise" on marriage equality by discriminating against certain humans. Sounds surprisingly American!
I'm glad the vote turned out this way, here's hoping the No's in Parliament acquire the brains and heart needed to put Australia on the right track.
  • madteaparty, bibiche and Sadie like this

#5 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3825 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Yay! 

I was just watching that news on Last Week Tonight (okay, it was a 3 week old episode) and I was in disbelief.  And then rolling with laughter at the idea one lady proposed of calling it "Garriage". :lol:

Hopefully they pass a good law soon!

• Sadie likes this

#6 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

How sweet. Some adults in charge feel the need to "compromise" on marriage equality by discriminating against certain humans. Sounds surprisingly American!
I'm glad the vote turned out this way, here's hoping the No's in Parliament acquire the brains and heart needed to put Australia on the right track.

lol, it's the baker thing. But extended to the florist, and the dressmaker, and the hire car, and the venue, and the hairdresser, and Joe Blogs who might have to witness the same sex bridal car going down the street...ugh. 

#7 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19291 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

The government should not be in the marriage business at all IMHO (should be up to houses of worship in accordance with the affiliated faiths) but I support a way for couples to have their unions legally recognized regardless of gender. The government issues birth certificates to provide legal recognition but doesn’t wade into the thorny issue of which baptisms are valid. Marriage should be the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Quill, Homeschool Mom in AZ and tdbates78 like this

#8 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

The government should not be in the marriage business at all IMHO (should be up to houses of worship in accordance with the affiliated faiths) but I support a way for couples to have their unions legally recognized regardless of gender. The government issues birth certificates to provide legal recognition but doesn’t wade into the thorny issue of which baptisms are valid. Marriage should be the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I'm not a fan of marriage at all, but if the state is in the business of civil marriage, which it is here, then the state can blooming well make sure everyone is equal under the civil law. 

• Amy in NH, Laura Corin, Rosie_0801 and 9 others like this

#9 Spryte

Spryte

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9604 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Yay for the Yes vote!

Fingers crossed on parliament.
  • Sadie likes this

#10 Melissa in Australia

Melissa in Australia

Amateur at everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11426 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

Sadie please don't hate me but  I have to say I voted no. 

I will respect people's rights to live quietly how they want behind their doors, but I am sick of having it shoved down my throat.

Gays living in defacto relationships already have just as much rights as any couple living in a defacto relationship in Australia. All discriminatory laws involving inheritance etc have been removed ages ago.

Edited by Melissa in Australia, 14 November 2017 - 08:34 PM.

• Jean too likes this

#11 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Sadie please don't hate me but  I have to say I voted no. 

I will respect people's rights to live quietly how they want behind their doors, but I am sick of having it shoved down my throat.

Gays living in defacto relationships already have just as much rights as any couple living in a defacto relationship in Australia. All discriminatory laws involving inheritance etc have been removed ages ago.

That's not true.

I don't hate you; you know I've got your back. But I did ask no voters not to participate on this thread. Ta. 

• Laura Corin, Lady Florida., kiana and 4 others like this

#12 Gentlemommy

Gentlemommy

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2016 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

My cousin and his partner live in Australia and I’m so happy to hear this news! Fingers crossed I️t will lead to marriage equality soon.
  • Sadie likes this

#13 Audrey

Audrey

Member since the old, old boards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11831 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

No debate!

I am aware this is a topic many here will disagree on. That's fine, and I respect that but PLEASE don't post on this thread. Downvote it if you need an outlet to express your disapproval.

Australia has been lagging behind the rest of the English speaking world on marriage equality. Parliament is able to change the wording of the marriage act, but due to political shenanigans, the public was first  'consulted' by a very expensive postal survey on the matter.

Well, the yes vote won!!! A majority of Australians think marriage equality for LBGT people should go ahead. 

Not getting too excited...Parliament still has to act, and there's a very good chance it won't act soon, as No voters in Parliament have signalled that they want wide ranging discrimination against LBGT people legislated as acceptable in response to a Marriage Equality Bill. 

So no, my lesbian dd still can't get married - but the majority of her fellow citizens think she - and her future relationship - deserves equal treatment under the law. 

YAY!!

Good news!!

I think there's so much precedent already set amongst the Commonwealth that your Parliament may move a little quicker than you think.  Either way, I'm sure it'll pass.  

Welcome to the 21st Century!!  :grouphug: 

• Sadie likes this

#14 Xuzi

Xuzi

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2860 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

I'm glad the vote turned out the way it did, and I hope it becomes legal there soon. :)
  • Sadie likes this

#15 Ethel Mertz

Ethel Mertz

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4507 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

:hurray:  :party:

#16 foxbridgeacademy

foxbridgeacademy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4873 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:00 PM

No debate!

So no, my lesbian dd still can't get married - but the majority of her fellow citizens think she - and her future relationship - deserves equal treatment under the law

YAY!!

I know, right? I'm NOT a sappy person but when marriage equality passed here in the US I balled my eyes out knowing that my DD wouldn't have to feel, at least in this situation, discriminated against like who she is, is wrong in some way.  Happy for you and your country, fingers crossed they keep the progress moving forward.

• CindyH in NC, Eliana, Lady Florida. and 3 others like this

#17 hornblower

hornblower

Vegan Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11559 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

Yay, throwing rainbow confetti at you! 

• Amy in NH, Lady Florida., Sadie and 1 other like this

#18 TheReader

TheReader

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2712 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

yippee!!!

I'm happy for what this one day means for your dd and all others fighting to gain equal recognition of their relationships. 

• Sadie likes this

#19 happi duck

happi duck

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8802 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:28 PM

Yay!

Thought of you when my ds told me about the vote.

Hope it happens sooner than later!
  • Sadie likes this

#20 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

That is wonderful news Sadie. Very happy for your daughter!
  • Sadie likes this

#21 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29058 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

The No votes in Parliament are a minority, so it will pass when it eventually comes to a vote. We're all waiting to find out *when* they will pull their fingers out and allow the vote.

http://www.abc.net.a...mp-vote/9104112

#22 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5446 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

Personally, I'm not a fan of marriage at all, but if the state is in the business of civil marriage, which it is here, then the state can blooming well make sure everyone is equal under the civil law.

It is the downside of having a dominant religion for so long. If there was a civil thing that everyone who wanted a contract did that was the official legal paperwork it would work better. Then you could go and get your union blessed with whatever religious or cultural means you felt like.

But if there is a civil marriage it should be open to all. Although I would have age limits.

Edited by kiwik, 15 November 2017 - 01:20 AM.

• Eliana, Crimson Wife, mamaraby and 1 other like this

#23 Carrie12345

Carrie12345

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11578 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

:party:

• Sadie likes this

#24 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

lol, I can't believe people actually took up the option to downvote. Guess they couldn't help themselves. Very petty.

• Lady Florida. likes this

#25 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20368 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

Congrats! Hoping gay people all over Oz get to celebrate marriages soon. (still trying to figure out how two people being able to get married shoves anything down anyone's throats...I'm guessing no one is saying you HAVE to marry someone of the same sex, lol. It's not mandatory.)

• Lady Florida., Corraleno, mamaraby and 4 others like this

#26 Sadie

Sadie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23060 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Congrats! Hoping gay people all over Oz get to celebrate marriages soon. (still trying to figure out how two people being able to get married shoves anything down anyone's throats...I'm guessing no one is saying you HAVE to marry someone of the same sex, lol. It's not mandatory.)

lol, no, not mandatory! :)

Moderates in the government are saying they won't rise for the Christmas break until a bill is through. Let's see...there's some horse trading going on re religious freedoms other than those enjoyed by actual churches/mosques/temples and priests, ministers etc. 

#27 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

She who plants flowers for bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23694 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hooray!

• mamaraby and Sadie like this

#28 Homeschool Mom in AZ

Homeschool Mom in AZ

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5176 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

Yep.  I'm one of those people who thinks the civil aspects of marriage need to be recognized by government even if I don't religiously agree with the pairing.  Gay marriage needed to happen for the sake of civil liberties while religious/philosophical organizations should be free to decide for themselves who they are and aren't willing to perform religious marriage ceremonies for.  Everyone's civil rights are respected that way. If people want to live in free societies, they need to practice respecting the civil rights of people they disagree with.

• CindyH in NC, Supertechmom, bodiesmom and 1 other like this

#29 Homeschool Mom in AZ

Homeschool Mom in AZ

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5176 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

No debate!

lol, I can't believe people actually took up the option to downvote. Guess they couldn't help themselves. Very petty.

You're not being fair here.  You encouraged people to downvote instead of debating you then you complained that they downvoted.  You should've been more realistic and expected the down votes instead of calling people petty when they followed the directions you gave them.  You know this is a discussion board and a highly polarizing, controversial subject.

#30 Okra

Okra

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Yay! Let's get as many positive comments on this thread as possible!
  • Lady Florida. likes this

#31 MercyA

MercyA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5627 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

You're not being fair here.  You encouraged people to downvote instead of debating you then you complained that they downvoted.  You should've been more realistic and expected the down votes instead of calling people petty when they followed the directions you gave them.  You know this is a discussion board and a highly polarizing, controversial subject.

I agree. I didn't downvote, but I thought you were being serious when you told people to do that if they felt they needed an outlet. It didn't sound to me as if you were joking. 

I do tend to take everything very literally, though.  :o

#32 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

New again (old) avatar. Same old me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12926 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hooray! Here's hoping they get that vote over and done with soon so people can get on with the business of getting married.

I'm still trying to figure out how same sex marriage will ruin traditional marriage. I don't know how a same sex couple moving to my neighborhood could destroy my marriage. 

• Sadie likes this

#33 Nan in Mass

Nan in Mass

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9789 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hooray!  And I hope parliament hurries up!

Nan 

• Sadie likes this

#34 Penguin

Penguin

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Great news, Sadie!!!!

(Downvoting is a thing on the WTM forums? I never noticed that. I think I’ll stick to the like button.)
  • Sadie likes this