Menu

Book: I Hate to Write (for ASD and similar disorders)

kbutton

https://www.amazon.com/Hate-Write-Disorders-Achievement-Successful/dp/1937473112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510696350&sr=8-1&keywords=i+hate+to+write

I would like to hear about this book. I think someone here has recommended it. You can't see inside or download samples, so it's pretty much "Trust me; I'm an expert." I would like to know what it covers because it is potentially useful to our tutor.

Thanks!

This book appears to have a lower starting point. It would probably be about perfect for my ds. I don't know what your ds can do, but if he's doing WWS he may be beyond this. However it would probably have a significant amount of good stuff for me.

Here's more detail with a list of things included  http://ihatetowrite.com/reviews/

And apparently they presented at OCALICON several times. That means it's still going to have holes (and not be phd level), but it's going to be very PRACTICAL. I just think take it literally, when they say what they're covering, they don't mean every kid with autism in general. They mean very specifically the kid that is in 3rd, 4th, 5th gr or whatever who is ending up in the OT or SLP appt at the school because it's literally not working, nothing is coming out. And maybe they cover higher stuff too. I'm just taking it to mean they have a really specific audience, kids who are coming into their offices really struggling. 

The problem with ps intervention overall, to me, is the lack of ability to be flexible and try other theories of instruction (they're too wedded to CC and their systems and can't) and the lack of funding to address the real *therapy* needs underlying the *academic* symptoms. Between the two, I think kids like mine are screwed. I find myself going way back, like ok if you're not answering in complete sentences, is that a reading comprehension problem for the IS to handle (which is how it's listed in his IEP), or is that an SLP issue due to language issues of ASD. Obviously it's the latter. But the IS is cheaper and the IS services are more plentiful so the IS, with significantly lower training and tool options, gets stuck doing what is essentially language therapy. And then they wonder why, a year or two or three later, the fruit that should have come from the language isn't there.

You can't get blood from a turnip, and it really does seem they go to the end goal without building any of the foundation. And whether we call it therapy or intervention or classical or progymnasta, to me the point was always the same, you won't see coming out what isn't in there. And in our kids' case, they can't generalize and do it originally when they haven't moved beyond that memorize/script/echolalia stage. And if you review comments on the boards over the years, it becomes obvious the magic age AIN'T as young as they're wanting it to be. Like male with autism, average on the boards here seems to be 16 for any sort of gelling where the clouds lift and things coalesce. And, while I think our efforts *help* that, I do think there's just reality going on, that it's gonna click when it clicks, not when CC says it should click.

So yeah, this book looks good. It looks like one you'd read and find something useful in. I'd probably find a LOT useful in it. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

This book appears to have a lower starting point. It would probably be about perfect for my ds. I don't know what your ds can do, but if he's doing WWS he may be beyond this. However it would probably have a significant amount of good stuff for me.

I wondered about the starting point. 

You can't get blood from a turnip, and it really does seem they go to the end goal without building any of the foundation. And whether we call it therapy or intervention or classical or progymnasta, to me the point was always the same, you won't see coming out what isn't in there. And in our kids' case, they can't generalize and do it originally when they haven't moved beyond that memorize/script/echolalia stage. And if you review comments on the boards over the years, it becomes obvious the magic age AIN'T as young as they're wanting it to be. Like male with autism, average on the boards here seems to be 16 for any sort of gelling where the clouds lift and things coalesce. And, while I think our efforts *help* that, I do think there's just reality going on, that it's gonna click when it clicks, not when CC says it should click.

We are finding that he does generalize and categorize, but it's not necessarily easy to get it back out. He's coming along. 

So yeah, this book looks good. It looks like one you'd read and find something useful in. I'd probably find a LOT useful in it.