Menu

Would you eat this - baking mixes past date

Kassia

I have two boxes of brownie mix with best-by dates of 12/16 and three boxes of cake mixes with best-by dates of earlier this year - February and April I think.  

When my boys lived at home, I always stocked up on mixes so I'd have something to bake quickly if their friends came over, but I rarely bake anymore and discovered all of these old mixes.  Normally I toss stuff that is so old, but I hate to throw out so many boxes (even though it's really only five dollars worth of mixes).  

The only issue might be aged baking powder -- causing issues with rising. But since you already have them, I'd bake them anyway -- just not when you really really need it to work first time, if you know what I mean?

But there is no food safety issue. Only a potential quality issue. 

• Like 4

The brownies might be okay, but your cakes might not rise properly.

Ask me how I know about the cakes. :glare:

On the bright side, I now pay more attention to the expiration dates on boxed cake mixes.

I would call the company and ask about the brownies, especially if it's the kind that comes with a packet of fudgy stuff to mix in with the dry ingredients. I would be concerned that it could go bad or develop a weird texture or something.

Personally, I would throw it all out because boxed cake and brownie mixes are usually pretty inexpensive and I wouldn't want to waste the added ingredients (or the time it takes to clean the bowl, pan, measuring cups, and mixer) if the cakes and brownies didn't turn out well.

• Like 1

I would call the number on the box.

I had a box of pancake mix past the date. When I called, they told me not use it because there is a type of bacteria/fungus (I cant remember which one) that can grow in mixes and make you very ill. But, since I dont remember what ingredient causes that, I would call.

• Like 3

Agreeing with MaeFlowers - there is a mold risk with expired baking mixes. They aren't in the same category as canned goods, dry pasta, and beans,that can last eons beyond the dste, or condiments and sauces that you can "smell check". Gluten free people pay attention to exp.dates on mixes because GF foods stay on the shelves longer, which is why I know this. It's part of celiac food safety awareness.

• Like 2

I wouldn't eat it, but I'd bake it and let my kids eat it if they wanted.  :o I'd probably tell them first. But no guarantees on that. 

Maybe I won't do that in the future though. I didn't know about the mold thing, I just figured it'd be less tasty and look uglier than usual. I'm glad to know this!

• Like 1

I would toss it. What you listed amounts to what, ten bucks? Not worth it.

We ended up tossing them.  I figure they were one dollar/box, and I had five boxes.  They were stored well - unopened in the cool basement, but it's just not worth it and I don't know who would eat them anyway if I used them.  We can't possibly use five boxes and I don't want to use them and give away the baked goods if they are old.

Thanks for everyone's input!

• Like 2