What's with the ads?

Photo

How much does it cost to get evaluated..

8 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 nwahomeschoolmom

nwahomeschoolmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

We were planning to get our son evaluated for potentially being twice exceptional at age 7, but decided it would be best to do it sooner than later.  (For our own sanity...just to have some information).

Is the same place able to evaluate both things?  How much could it cost?  (We are willing to pay up to a point for quality).   Any advice? 

We suspect giftedness and ADHD/OCD...

Also, I am finding that I need to lower my expectations about our homeschool.  I think he needs shorts burst of instruction followed by independent work instead of the more interactive/nurturing homeschool I had hoped for...What strategies are working of other people?

On another note...tried a new probiotic yesterday for him and the last two days have been noticeably improved.  This is the first day in a long time he hasn't talked for the entire day straight!  I really hope its the probiotic and this keeps up!

(I also have a 2 month old!)

Thanks!

#2 Pawz4me

Pawz4me

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9612 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Have you checked to see if your insurance will cover it, or maybe part of it? Ours did. I don't think they'd cover an evaluation for "just" giftedness, though. I suspect there has to be a suspicion of something else going on (ADHD, ASD, etc.).

#3 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19255 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

It’s going to really vary depending on where you live. If I had taken my daughter to someone local, it would have been $5-6k. We traveled to a clinic that specializes in testing deaf and hard of hearing kids and that was $3.5k. Some places you can get an evaluation in the $1.5-$2k range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 4kookiekids

4kookiekids

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Our insurance covered a full neuro-psych eval without a referral, but we had to have a reason (e.g., suspected (blank)). It cost right over $2K, but could've been more if we hadn't already had some testing to confirm some other things.

#5 Jackie

Jackie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

Ours cost right around $2k, which covered IQ testing, academic testing, and behavioral/psychological testing, all with the same psychologist. Our insurance did not cover. We were also testing because of suspected 2e-ness.

#6 boscopup

boscopup

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11781 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

The same psych can test all those things. I would word it as being concerned about ADHD/OCD. They'll do an IQ test anyway.

I had one of mine tested for Autism this year. We also suspected dyslexia. Turned out not to be dyslexic but he does have dysgraphia. They also tested for ADHD (didn't have that) and a few other things. Basically, we met with the psych and explained what problems we were having, and during our talk she wrote down which tests she thought he should have. She also added a couple during testing, after seeing some things that first day (it was 2 days of testing). Included were WISC-IV (IQ) and Woodcock-Johnson (standardized test).

Total cost billed to insurance was in the $5k range. We had to pay about half of that because this psych was out of network. I knew that going in. The good pyschs here that specialize in autism aren't in network for me. This one came highly recommended though, so it was worth paying.

#7 nwahomeschoolmom

nwahomeschoolmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

Thanks the helpful information...we might have to wait a bit longer if it will be in the 2k range but will see. Thanks!

#8 Targhee

Targhee

Cat Herder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2669 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Full psycho-ed Eval without insurance coverage was about $2k. Included ADHD Connors index, Woodcock-Johnson, WISC w/ full IQ, screening for anxiety/depression, and some smaller inventories I don't remember now. Included about an hour+ of time explaining the results. Worth every penny.

#9 slackermom

slackermom

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1436 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

We were fortunate to get full testing done twice at no cost to us. The first was at age 6, as part of a multi-year university hospital study, and they actually paid us! We did testing again at age 11, as part of an evaluation done by our kid's school. After one of our kid's doctors recommended a "CORE" style evaluation, the school included a 2-day neuro-psych eval as part of the process. I was kind of surprised they proposed it, actually, but it was incredibly helpful.