Menu

Landmark College for kids with LDs

Got all excited when I found out about this- then reading their admissions page “IEP diplomas are rarely acceptedâ€.

ok then, never mind... guess they only want the you know, kids whose LDs are actually mild enough to get a regular diploma... who likely wouldn’t need a college especiadlly for LDs, go figure

My impression -- I've moved to New York recently.

A lot of kids who would get an IEP diploma here would get a regular diploma in other states.

My son would never get a regular diploma here. I pretty much expect/hope for him to receive a regular diploma when we move back where we plan.

So I wouldn't assume too much from that.

There's also not this state test for Algebra thing.  So if a student can pass an Algebra class by doing their homework but wouldn't pass a state test ----- my understanding is those kids would get a regular diploma in the state we will return to. 

This is my impression. 

My impression -- I've moved to New York recently.

A lot of kids who would get an IEP diploma here would get a regular diploma in other states.

My son would never get a regular diploma here. I pretty much expect/hope for him to receive a regular diploma when we move back where we plan.

So I wouldn't assume too much from that.

Good point. NY is exasperating.

Maybe we should move, sigh.

In most states, it is fairly easy to qualify for a general ed diploma and the SPED students who get a “life skills†certificate are not functioning at a level where they would be able to handle true college academics.

I have been told that my daughter should be able to graduate with a general ed diploma and she has a borderline verbal IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My beef with Landmark is the costly application fee.

Landmark is in VT. Type up course descriptors, create a transcript, fit in some outside clases so that your girl will have someone who can write a letter of rec, get the testing they want, and apply.

Look at Curry College in Boston and check out I *think* Clemson. These programs are competitive.

In most states, it is fairly easy to qualify for a general ed diploma and the SPED students who get a “life skills†certificate are not functioning at a level where they would be able to handle true college academics.

I have been told that my daughter should be able to graduate with a general ed diploma and she has a borderline verbal IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we’re in NY, so no- it’s not easy to get a Gen Ed diploma, at all.

Landmark is in VT. Type up course descriptors, create a transcript, fit in some outside clases so that your girl will have someone who can write a letter of rec, get the testing they want, and apply.

Look at Curry College in Boston and check out I *think* Clemson. These programs are competitive.

She’s at public school this year, so we’ll see how that goes the next few years. Landmark is not too far from us, I’m intrigued by the summer program for her in a couple years.

Thank you

Not Clemson...East Carolina..(thanks to 8fill)

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/stepp/upload/STEPP-Program-FactSheet-2017.pdf

Link to PAL Program at Curry College..

https://www.curry.edu/programs-and-courses/undergraduate-programs/special-programs/ld-program---pal.html

Edited by Heathermomster

Well, we’re in NY, so no- it’s not easy to get a Gen Ed diploma, at all.

I understand that, but my point is that in most states it is and Landmark's policy would make sense given that fact. I think there would be other ways to prove academic readiness for a student in a state with strict graduation requirements.

I understand that, but my point is that in most states it is and Landmark's policy would make sense given that fact. I think there would be other ways to prove academic readiness for a student in a state with strict graduation requirements.

Gotcha, sorry, wasn’t catching what you meant :)