Menu

8th grade, curriculum/how to teach both my kids (x-post)

I have two 8th graders. One has to keep homeschooling due to special needs. The other very much wants to continue.

I want to make it work. It's not working. I would really appreciate help thinking this through. I'm mentally trapped in the everyday of it. 

One has special needs that get in the way of school (autism and adhd--so lots of issues with attention/getting started/stamina and "extras" that need focus such as emotional regulation; anxiety; and chronic insomnia--making all the other stuff harder and learning difficult). Teaching him, or trying to, takes a lot of time. 

The other child can work independently. He'll do whatever I tell him to do school-wise, but he's not driven for above and beyond. He really enjoys and thrives with discussion and interaction, though. I'm not finding time for that. He's speeding through his independent work, and then just doing whatever until I can find time to work with him. (He does do extracurricular things, and puts time into those interests in and outside the school day; but academics wise he's just getting it done, and quickly). When I find time to work with him is often little quick time pockets when his twin is occupied in the day or in the late evening, and both of us are tired so I end up mostly just checking and going over work for understanding. Blech. 

How it's going isn't great for his brother either. I am spending hours and hours with special needs son trying to drag him through what I consider a basic education. But, for example, an Algebra lesson can easily suck hours because he's so inattentive and sleep deprived. My gut is that I need to build significant time for focusing on special needs areas. But he's beat with just the minimum school I do. And focusing on those things takes me too. 

Meanwhile I feel like all I do with the kids is school or basic needs stuff. I am spending so many hours, and yet I feel I'm not accomplishing what I want with either.

What I think I want:

---Curriculum for child A that is solid academically and can be done fairly independently, but ideally would allow for us to interact with interesting material together--discussion or similar. Assuming I can find time/I need to find time. I just don't want an education of him on his own working through curriculum, and that's where we've landed in the last couple of years as his brother has become more complicated.

Right now he's not doing nearly enough composition/writing--I think I need a curriculum that's clearly laid out in assignments, or a plan that I can easily work with him. He's doing very little science, because the curriculum requires me, and we rarely get to it.  He's working through history, but we rarely find time to discuss anymore. We've never found time for consistent foreign language--I wanted to do Latin, but when I would need to work with him and am concerned about time to be consistent, so....nothing happens. He likes to read. He likes to discuss. We never find much time for that lately as things are now.

----A bare minimum academic plan for child B, special needs kid, that allows time to work on those needs too. He just mentally can't attend for long enough to do a full day of school, yet that's what we're doing (yesterday he worked with me from 9 to 5:00, with breaks for food and mental and exercise, and a lot of him avoiding starting and getting distracted......we got probably nothing really accomplished, as he hasn't had a decent night's sleep in over a week and was mentally beyond spent before we even got through Algebra). He really thinks/feels he works the entire day--mostly he's avoiding work the entire day. 

Right now he's going to be severely limited by his executive skills weaknesses. I need to streamline the academics so I have space for the special needs work without overwhelming him. He needs a lot of "self" space in his day to feel ok Ideally I would spend a couple of hours on streamlined, focused education with me, focused time on special needs throughout the day, and let him do the few things he can do independently while I work with his twin. He can write well and without medication or my sitting with him. He can do memory work without me too. He likes to read for pleasure, but there are probably issues with close reading/focus for school work. Everything else requires me. 

I'm going to post this on general board and special needs. I know this was too long. I would appreciate any thoughts on either kid. 

Would an online class for history and/or literature which involves lots of discussion and writing meet your NT kid's need for those things? I get that you would rather be the one discussing, but perhaps to free up some of your time and energy, it might work. 

Wilson Hill offers The Great Conversation courses which would fit that bill. I know there are other many other excellent online options. WTMA, The Potter's School etc. 

My 7th grader is enjoying the discussion and interaction from an online math class at WHA, so I expect a class which is inherently discussion-based would be very good. 

Seems like outsourcing some for your Nt kids would free you up and make sure he gets the challenging academics. It's not oldschool homeschool and it's not inexpensive, but maybe it could help?  

• Like 2

I think scheduling in the things you are missing just needs to happen. And the academics happen as much as happens in the time given instead of thinking you have to finish this Algebra lesson today. I think you do the lesson, practice as much as happens in the set time period, then move on with the kid that struggles. 

So do an hour of therapies or attention to the things you are missing that the kids needs besides academics. We start our day here with an hour or more of therapies for all kinds of things- auditory processing, visual discrimination exercises, finger strengthening, etc. We do a bunch of things at about 2 min. a pop, switching between kids with a stack of coloring books and gel pens and colored pencils on the table that they play around with as we are going. These are things my kids need. I researched all last year and summer to set up a program to get this stuff in. It doesn't happen daily, but several times a week. And it is as important as the academics. 

Then do set times. If you need to do a discussion period with the older, set a time for that. Have him go read then come back to discuss it. Give other child something he can do on his own or a break or whatever works for you (a snack, a mind bender, trampoline time...) And keep to the time periods for academics. Set an hour for Algebra. And stop. He doesn't have to finish it this year. 

I follow a classical curriculum. My kids study latin, study for the national exams, read great books, do art projects, music lessons, do some logic, etc. But my 8th grader isn't ready for Algebra. So just because most of the world says do it in 8th grade. We don't rush it. My older did it in 9th. So will this one. It is ok. They can still get in all needed in high school and go further in college if they need to. 

• Like 3

I agree with above posts that online courses, rescheduling for your priorities and needs, and maybe reconsidering things like the algebra might helpful. 

I think the thread on Bare Minimum Middle School, particularly this post, might be helpful to you for organizing things for your Child B. 

For my autistic Year 8 child, I focus on Maths, English, Assigning readings, and doing 1-2 units of other topics alongside skills and body/mind work. For maths we use MEP secondary with interactive lessons because then he can mostly argue with that and if he drags I will put on a timer. He likes beating the timer. English is his weakest subject and we're constantly tweaking this to try to help his spelling, mechanics, and writing. 

• Like 4

:grouphug: sbgrace  :grouphug:  That's a hard position to be in, and you must feel very stretched thin.  :grouphug:

Agreeing with previous posters.

Also, I am reminded of posts by 8FillTheHeart, who has more than once mentioned her regret of trying to make the rigorous college prep high school that worked great for her first few children, also fit for her DS with autism-- instead of using that time to work on getting him strong in "life prep". I know that doesn't mean she would have dropped schooling for him, but rather, would have focused on solid foundational academics (focus on real-life math and writing), and on living skills -- people skills, home skills (cooking, cleaning, shopping, budgeting), transportation, getting/keeping a job, etc. -- rather than trying to force getting through the list of credits needed for college admissions.

With this being your DSs' 8th grade year, you are in the prime position to think through what is the best use of your next 4 years of high school for each DS to best prepare them for their futures.

JMO: Regardless of the current "push" in our culture to shove Algebra into increasingly lower grades (8th! no 7th! no 6th is rigorous!!), that doesn't mean the typical student (let alone a student with special needs) has developed the abstract thinking and logic portions of the brain to be able to have the basic "tools" to succeed with Algebra. That brain maturing usually happens between ages 12-14. That's why about such a huge amount of public and private school students who take Algebra 1 in 8th grade end up re-taking it in 9th grade.

For *any* student who is struggling with Algebra in 8th grade I'd suggest setting it aside for a year, and instead spend the math time getting solid with foundational skills and spending time on developing strong problem-solving skills. It doesn't sound like child B is ready for Algebra 1; it is okay -- in fact, it would be a *good* thing -- to shift to a different math focus. It would be a relief for both of you, and it would allow child B to develop a strong math foundation. If he's still not ready for Algebra 1 in 9th, then consider a good Consumer Math program, which would keep up the foundational math skills, while exposing child B to real-life math that he's going to need for all of his adult life.

Not an expert, or trying to tell you what to do, but as you figure out a schedule that works best for both DSs, be sure to schedule yourself a school day that YOU can cope with and that you can sustain for the long haul, and be sure to leave time at the end of your school day (say 45-60 minutes) to take a BREAK of solo time for you, whatever recharges YOU, before moving on into the rest of your day. For example: 9am to 3pm and then STOP and take your "me time break". Loop whatever didn't get done to the next day.

Is child B eligible for any special helps or programs? Or can you hire a tutor who specializes with autism to come in for a few hours once a week? That could help take some of the burden off of you, and give you a short break each week.

:grouphug:  Hugs, and wishing you all the very BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

As a special needs mama and formerly SLP working with kiddos with special needs, I would not recommend continuing lessons that take hours to complete.  I don't think it's good for either one of you.  I would let go of the thought that they are both supposed to be at the same grade/level.  I would look at what they have each mastered and the next steps for each of them.  I would try to find some things that your son with special needs is skilled in.  Give him some independent work to review those things and then use those nuggets of time to work with your other son.  When you introduce new material to your son with special needs, I would recommend taking very small increments of new information.  Let him master those before moving on.  I would also really focus on foundational skills that he can use through life no matter what path he takes.  

Big hugs!  I've so often wished that there was an open and go curriculum for our kiddos with special needs, but it just requires so much on our parts...yet it's totally worth it in the end!  Hang in there!

Jenn

• Like 5

One thing that helped immensely here with feet-dragging, getting off course, losing materials and other ADHD issues is to use workboxes. The author (Sue Patrick) also used them with autistic children, so I think it could offer you some successful strategies. It was really helpful here for getting my student onto some more independent learning (not "all day" independent at this stage, but a short meeting with me before one or two subjects so I could also work with my other student. Eventually in high school this morphed into two daily tutoring times for one student and usually one tutoring time for the other--and occasional short interactions with either as the day went.)

I used to start each day with a together time (Bible, history if you still do that together--we separated in 8th grade), and then work one-on-one with each one for 20-30 minutes. Figure out some subject you can start your struggling learner on, or even have him exercise for 30 minutes, and work with the other one. If the time doesn't get used well by the struggling learner, oh well. Pick up and carry on as you can. In other words--decide that a certain level is just non-negotiable for spending time with your non-struggling learner, and then make it happen as best you can. The morning tutoring times worked well here because then I wasn't tempted to just keep pushing things off for whatever "urgent" needs came up in our house that day. 

I'm with Lori on Algebra--many 8th graders just aren't ready yet, not because they aren't bright but because the brain development just hasn't kicked in yet. I don't think I'd let it take hours if you continue with it. Spend an hour and let a lesson go over into the next day. Or back track and solidify basic operations this year and try it again next year. 

• Like 2

Ack! I was feeling so down/emotional when I posted this, that I later forgot to check here/I had posted it in two spots.

I so appreciate the replies and thoughts here!

Would an online class for history and/or literature which involves lots of discussion and writing meet your NT kid's need for those things? I get that you would rather be the one discussing, but perhaps to free up some of your time and energy, it might work. 

Wilson Hill offers The Great Conversation courses which would fit that bill. I know there are other many other excellent online options. WTMA, The Potter's School etc. 

My 7th grader is enjoying the discussion and interaction from an online math class at WHA, so I expect a class which is inherently discussion-based would be very good. 

Seems like outsourcing some for your Nt kids would free you up and make sure he gets the challenging academics. It's not oldschool homeschool and it's not inexpensive, but maybe it could help?  

I do think I am going to outsource a class. I think it would be good for him, and I'd feel better. I do think one that has discussion and writing  would be the best choice, and I like the idea of history. He loves that, and he's doing it almost entirely alone now. I will look into the courses/providers you mention. 

I think scheduling in the things you are missing just needs to happen. And the academics happen as much as happens in the time given instead of thinking you have to finish this Algebra lesson today. I think you do the lesson, practice as much as happens in the set time period, then move on with the kid that struggles. 

So do an hour of therapies or attention to the things you are missing that the kids needs besides academics. We start our day here with an hour or more of therapies for all kinds of things- auditory processing, visual discrimination exercises, finger strengthening, etc. We do a bunch of things at about 2 min. a pop, switching between kids with a stack of coloring books and gel pens and colored pencils on the table that they play around with as we are going. These are things my kids need. I researched all last year and summer to set up a program to get this stuff in. It doesn't happen daily, but several times a week. And it is as important as the academics. 

Then do set times. If you need to do a discussion period with the older, set a time for that. Have him go read then come back to discuss it. Give other child something he can do on his own or a break or whatever works for you (a snack, a mind bender, trampoline time...) And keep to the time periods for academics. Set an hour for Algebra. And stop. He doesn't have to finish it this year. 

I follow a classical curriculum. My kids study latin, study for the national exams, read great books, do art projects, music lessons, do some logic, etc. But my 8th grader isn't ready for Algebra. So just because most of the world says do it in 8th grade. We don't rush it. My older did it in 9th. So will this one. It is ok. They can still get in all needed in high school and go further in college if they need to. 

I like this. I think I do need to start with those special needs interventions, or at least have a set time that we always do them. I do think I need to lay out things clearly--whether that is time frames (I get that/I just struggle so much to have things undone) or some kind of rotating schedule or a mix. And you're right about Algebra too. I It's hard, because we're half through. I don't want to stop and lose it all. Since I wrote this we've been sitting with together for the entire lesson of Algebra, which allows us to pick and chose how many or which problems to do--skipping stuff we know is strong, doing just enough to test mastery, etc. It's better. Ideally, though, I'd probably go back to a math he could manage without me sitting there keeping him on task and modifying. He may well end up with another year of Algebra anyway. I need to consider where to go. 

I agree with above posts that online courses, rescheduling for your priorities and needs, and maybe reconsidering things like the algebra might helpful. 

I think the thread on Bare Minimum Middle School, particularly this post, might be helpful to you for organizing things for your Child B. 

For my autistic Year 8 child, I focus on Maths, English, Assigning readings, and doing 1-2 units of other topics alongside skills and body/mind work. For maths we use MEP secondary with interactive lessons because then he can mostly argue with that and if he drags I will put on a timer. He likes beating the timer. English is his weakest subject and we're constantly tweaking this to try to help his spelling, mechanics, and writing. 

Great post--that's exactly what I need to think about--what's important and what can slide for other things. I like what I think your system is. Do those other 1-2 units vary--one day history, maybe science the next? 

:grouphug: sbgrace  :grouphug:  That's a hard position to be in, and you must feel very stretched thin.  :grouphug:

Agreeing with previous posters.

Also, I am reminded of posts by 8FillTheHeart, who has more than once mentioned her regret of trying to make the rigorous college prep high school that worked great for her first few children, also fit for her DS with autism-- instead of using that time to work on getting him strong in "life prep". I know that doesn't mean she would have dropped schooling for him, but rather, would have focused on solid foundational academics (focus on real-life math and writing), and on living skills -- people skills, home skills (cooking, cleaning, shopping, budgeting), transportation, getting/keeping a job, etc. -- rather than trying to force getting through the list of credits needed for college admissions.

With this being your DSs' 8th grade year, you are in the prime position to think through what is the best use of your next 4 years of high school for each DS to best prepare them for their futures.

JMO: Regardless of the current "push" in our culture to shove Algebra into increasingly lower grades (8th! no 7th! no 6th is rigorous!!), that doesn't mean the typical student (let alone a student with special needs) has developed the abstract thinking and logic portions of the brain to be able to have the basic "tools" to succeed with Algebra. That brain maturing usually happens between ages 12-14. That's why about such a huge amount of public and private school students who take Algebra 1 in 8th grade end up re-taking it in 9th grade.

For *any* student who is struggling with Algebra in 8th grade I'd suggest setting it aside for a year, and instead spend the math time getting solid with foundational skills and spending time on developing strong problem-solving skills. It doesn't sound like child B is ready for Algebra 1; it is okay -- in fact, it would be a *good* thing -- to shift to a different math focus. It would be a relief for both of you, and it would allow child B to develop a strong math foundation. If he's still not ready for Algebra 1 in 9th, then consider a good Consumer Math program, which would keep up the foundational math skills, while exposing child B to real-life math that he's going to need for all of his adult life.

Not an expert, or trying to tell you what to do, but as you figure out a schedule that works best for both DSs, be sure to schedule yourself a school day that YOU can cope with and that you can sustain for the long haul, and be sure to leave time at the end of your school day (say 45-60 minutes) to take a BREAK of solo time for you, whatever recharges YOU, before moving on into the rest of your day. For example: 9am to 3pm and then STOP and take your "me time break". Loop whatever didn't get done to the next day.

Is child B eligible for any special helps or programs? Or can you hire a tutor who specializes with autism to come in for a few hours once a week? That could help take some of the burden off of you, and give you a short break each week.

:grouphug:  Hugs, and wishing you all the very BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you. I need to find that thread. Because I can already look forward and see that I am going to feel I focused on the wrong things with him if I don't drastically change. That's a lot of what spurred this thread. I'm failing both kids, despite trying so hard to do it well, the way it's going. I am going to rethink the math. I explained to above that I'm struggling with stopping Algebra because he's 1/2 through, but if we keep going it's probably going to be me with him. That he needs that probably means it's not the right place.  He does have services, including one who is supposed to do things like academics, but we're limited to traveling for them because we're rural. I am going to ask about the possibility of more hours anyway. You're right, also about needing that space at the end of the day. The kids need it too. I like the loop--I have to accept leaving things undone. Thinking of it like a loop may help me with that.  

As a special needs mama and formerly SLP working with kiddos with special needs, I would not recommend continuing lessons that take hours to complete.  I don't think it's good for either one of you.  I would let go of the thought that they are both supposed to be at the same grade/level.  I would look at what they have each mastered and the next steps for each of them.  I would try to find some things that your son with special needs is skilled in.  Give him some independent work to review those things and then use those nuggets of time to work with your other son.  When you introduce new material to your son with special needs, I would recommend taking very small increments of new information.  Let him master those before moving on.  I would also really focus on foundational skills that he can use through life no matter what path he takes.  

Big hugs!  I've so often wished that there was an open and go curriculum for our kiddos with special needs, but it just requires so much on our parts...yet it's totally worth it in the end!  Hang in there!

Jenn

Thank you. You know, one issue is the inattention and hyperfocus (other stuff preoccupies and distracts), makes it hard to know what's solid, particularly in math. I mean he gets the concepts, but he often makes careless or inattentive mistakes. I do need those foundational skills. I'm thinking maybe on of his therapists might be able to help me identify focus areas for that. All the things he needs work on feel so overwhelming--it's hard to prioritize. I agree on the hours. Part of it is that he wants to do things independently, and some things just stretch and stretch in that. I need to think about how to handle this. You're absolutely right that it's not useful. 

One thing that helped immensely here with feet-dragging, getting off course, losing materials and other ADHD issues is to use workboxes. The author (Sue Patrick) also used them with autistic children, so I think it could offer you some successful strategies. It was really helpful here for getting my student onto some more independent learning (not "all day" independent at this stage, but a short meeting with me before one or two subjects so I could also work with my other student. Eventually in high school this morphed into two daily tutoring times for one student and usually one tutoring time for the other--and occasional short interactions with either as the day went.)

I used to start each day with a together time (Bible, history if you still do that together--we separated in 8th grade), and then work one-on-one with each one for 20-30 minutes. Figure out some subject you can start your struggling learner on, or even have him exercise for 30 minutes, and work with the other one. If the time doesn't get used well by the struggling learner, oh well. Pick up and carry on as you can. In other words--decide that a certain level is just non-negotiable for spending time with your non-struggling learner, and then make it happen as best you can. The morning tutoring times worked well here because then I wasn't tempted to just keep pushing things off for whatever "urgent" needs came up in our house that day. 

I'm with Lori on Algebra--many 8th graders just aren't ready yet, not because they aren't bright but because the brain development just hasn't kicked in yet. I don't think I'd let it take hours if you continue with it. Spend an hour and let a lesson go over into the next day. Or back track and solidify basic operations this year and try it again next year. 

I will look into workboxes. I'm thinking you're saying do the first "session" with the non-struggler. I've never or rarely done that! I think it's because I felt I need the grab the strugggler when he's fresh. But in reading you. I'm going to try to switch that I think. And workboxes or similar may help both kids. I could more easily see what to prioritize with the non-struggling learner. I think it would really help my son with autism. He might feel less like a load of things is piling on him with it--he could see the end, and that it's manageable. Together with thinking really carefully about what are must do with him--this might be good. 

Did you keep actual the boxes in high school as well? I think the actual visual may help. 

Edited by sbgrace

I'm not a special-needs expert, but here are my thoughts.

I have two 8th graders. One has to keep homeschooling due to special needs. The other very much wants to continue.

I want to make it work. It's not working. I would really appreciate help thinking this through. I'm mentally trapped in the everyday of it. 

One has special needs that get in the way of school (autism and adhd--so lots of issues with attention/getting started/stamina and "extras" that need focus such as emotional regulation; anxiety; and chronic insomnia--making all the other stuff harder and learning difficult). Teaching him, or trying to, takes a lot of time. 

This statement makes me think that outsourcing is needed with one or the other, or maybe a little for both of your boys. 

The other child can work independently. He'll do whatever I tell him to do school-wise, but he's not driven for above and beyond. He really enjoys and thrives with discussion and interaction, though. I'm not finding time for that . . . 

Could you pick just one subject to do with him and outsource another one? The GC class someone mentioned would be a good one. I also recommend the Center for Lit classes. They have a Jr. High level. These are very interesting, discussion-based classes.

How it's going isn't great for his brother either. I am spending hours and hours with special needs son trying to drag him through what I consider a basic education. But, for example, an Algebra lesson can easily suck hours . . .

I would totally drop algebra! I don't think most NT kids are ready for it in 8th grade, much less special needs.

because he's so inattentive and sleep deprived.

Is he getting enough exercise? Just wondering if that would help . . .

My gut is that I need to build significant time for focusing on special needs areas. But he's beat with just the minimum school I do. And focusing on those things takes me too. 

I liked Lori's idea of a tutor with Autism experience. I think 8th grade is a good time to start outsourcing stuff anyway. Boys in general will work better for an outside instructor at this age.

Meanwhile I feel like all I do with the kids is school or basic needs stuff. I am spending so many hours, and yet I feel I'm not accomplishing what I want with either.

In addition to outsourcing, I would go minimalist with both your boys. Focus on the 3R's. Let anything else be relaxed and interest-led.

What I think I want:

---Curriculum for child A that is solid academically and can be done fairly independently, but ideally would allow for us to interact with interesting material together--discussion or similar. Assuming I can find time/I need to find time. I just don't want an education of him on his own working through curriculum, and that's where we've landed in the last couple of years as his brother has become more complicated.

Right now he's not doing nearly enough composition/writing--I think I need a curriculum that's clearly laid out in assignments, or a plan that I can easily work with him.

Composition was the first subject I outsourced, and glad I did. If it's not in the budget, then my fav comp for this age is Write With the Best, which is laid out in lessons.

He's doing very little science, because the curriculum requires me, and we rarely get to it.

Then go for exposure. Library books, documentaries, Great Courses, etc.

He's working through history, but we rarely find time to discuss anymore. We've never found time for consistent foreign language--I wanted to do Latin, but when I would need to work with him and am concerned about time to be consistent, so....nothing happens.

I would totally not feel guilty about this. Foreign language may be a luxury that is not realistic for your situation at this point.

He likes to read. He likes to discuss. We never find much time for that lately as things are now.

I hear you. Discussion takes time. Time for both of you to read, ruminate, and discuss. I completely feel with you. It gets harder in general as kids get older, especially if you have other things on your plate.

----A bare minimum academic plan for child B, special needs kid, that allows time to work on those needs too. He just mentally can't attend for long enough to do a full day of school, yet that's what we're doing (yesterday he worked with me from 9 to 5:00, with breaks for food and mental and exercise, and a lot of him avoiding starting and getting distracted......we got probably nothing really accomplished, as he hasn't had a decent night's sleep in over a week and was mentally beyond spent before we even got through Algebra). He really thinks/feels he works the entire day--mostly he's avoiding work the entire day.

This must be exhausting for both of you.

Right now he's going to be severely limited by his executive skills weaknesses. I need to streamline the academics so I have space for the special needs work without overwhelming him. He needs a lot of "self" space in his day to feel ok Ideally I would spend a couple of hours on streamlined, focused education with me, focused time on special needs throughout the day, and let him do the few things he can do independently while I work with his twin. He can write well and without medication or my sitting with him. He can do memory work without me too. He likes to read for pleasure, but there are probably issues with close reading/focus for school work. Everything else requires me. 

I'm going to post this on general board and special needs. I know this was too long. I would appreciate any thoughts on either kid. 

Hope you find some solutions.  :grouphug:

Did you keep actual the boxes in high school as well? I think the actual visual may help. 

I did! My dd kept them through her Freshman year and then transitioned to a "stack" method with a tote that she took up to her room. She liked to power through several subjects in a row. My son however continued with the workboxes throughout highschool. He would grab one or two subjects at a time, do them, then put those away, chat a bit with me, and grab one or two more. The visual was extremely helpful and motivating for him (in fact, he kept his workboxes into the first semester in college, thinking he'd keep using them--but the logistics of needing to take books/notebooks etc... to classes made that not as easily workable for him. Too bad!)

We have similar to workboxes through we use a file-folder for paper/book based subjects along with a list for computer-based or other things that don't fit in there. 

With units, we do rotate though how keeps being tweaked. Sometimes we just do a couple units but for a solid week or so - like one section of science we may do for however long it takes and then put science to the side until the next month when we do the next section (and I'll plan 9-12 sections depending on how long they are) and we'll do something flexible like working on a life skill or body skill with that at the same time and do history and something else during the other time or we'll have certain days of the week to do X and others to do Y. Usually/ideally one unit is academic and the other is practical.