Menu

Iliad & Odyssey...what next?

My 11 yr old daughter has a Greek mythology obsession. She finished the Iliad and is halfway through the Odyssey. I think this natural curiosity in Classics is pretty neat & I want to support it. Anyone with similar kids out there with curriculum ideas? We tried a little Latin & she's interested in learning Greek, but I don't even know where to start. Maybe different English translations of the Iliad for a comparison project? Ideas welcome:) Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit of an off the wall suggestion -- Pausanias, a 2nd c AD travel writer who incorporated a lot of mythology into his descriptions. Skimming suggested, as he is a chatty writer, not a great one, but his writings have filled many gaps in our knowledge.

Or Greek literature -- Herodotus, plays, poetry. For example both Sophocles and Euripides wrote about Electra (Agamemnon's daughter). You can extend the story with Eocene O'Neill's Electra or Richard Strauss's opera Elektra. Talk about rabbit trails....

Or look at Greek art -- monumental sculpture and vase painting are replete with mythological subjects.

Or read about the excavation of Troy.

Or comparative mythology, other cultures.

Your dd sounds like a great student!

• Like 1

A bit of an off the wall suggestion -- Pausanias, a 2nd c AD travel writer who incorporated a lot of mythology into his descriptions. Skimming suggested, as he is a chatty writer, not a great one, but his writings have filled many gaps in our knowledge.

Or Greek literature -- Herodotus, plays, poetry. For example both Sophocles and Euripides wrote about Electra (Agamemnon's daughter). You can extend the story with Eocene O'Neill's Electra or Richard Strauss's opera Elektra. Talk about rabbit trails....

Or look at Greek art -- monumental sculpture and vase painting are replete with mythological subjects.

Or read about the excavation of Troy.

Or comparative mythology, other cultures.

Your dd sounds like a great student!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aeneid

Norse mythology

Has she done the National Mythology Exam? Fun for kids who love this stuff. 

She might like Angelina Stanford's classes or podcasts. Good things on the Center for Lit's podcasts too. 

Thank you for posting this.  How did I not know she was offering classes???  I subscribed to her updates!

• Like 1