Menu

WWS3 or Rhetoric for 9th?

My ds will by in 9th next year. Currently he's about halfway through WWS-2; we're on the slow track. I absolutely love this curriculum. Ds doesn't love it, but I am so impressed with his writing. He needs more practice getting efficient with it, but the writing and construction skills are there.

All along I've figured that we would continue on with WWS-3 next year for 9th. Why quit a good thing, right? But lately I've been wondering... since his writing is already pretty good, and since he already has the know-how to put together a basic research paper, maybe he would be better off skipping 3 in favor of a rhetoric level writing program. I wasn't planning on doing writing as it's own subject after 9th. My hopes are that after 9th, he'll just be applying what he's learned to various papers across the curriculum. 

Curious to know from those who have finished WWS-3 if you thought it was a valuable step between WWS-2 and rhetoric. Or, if anyone knows of a source that would be more of a reference for us to apply rhetoric skills to his future writing assignments without it being it's own curriculum (hope that makes sense...).

I would email the folks at WTMA for their input on whether they think you should complete WWS3 prior to beginning the Rhetoric sequence, 

I don't have any experience with WWS, but I do have experience with the Rhetoric sequence. My kids start the Rhetoric sequence at the beginning of 10th grade.  Imo, there is a big jump in difficulty level between Rhetoric I and II, and then another ramp up between Rhetoric II and IIII.  For my kids, it worked out well that they were seniors when taking Rhetoric III.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but my college freshman called me at the beginning of the school year and thanked me for signing him up for the Rhetoric classes.  He said that the dense reading and writing that his college professors are assigning is the exact same type of  reading/writingl that Thomas Hummel assigned in his Rhetoric III class. 

• Like 6

I would email the folks at WTMA for their input on whether they think you should complete WWS3 prior to beginning the Rhetoric sequence, 

I don't have any experience with WWS, but I do have experience with the Rhetoric sequence. My kids start the Rhetoric sequence at the beginning of 10th grade.  Imo, there is a big jump in difficulty level between Rhetoric I and II, and then another ramp up between Rhetoric II and IIII.  For my kids, it worked out well that they were seniors when taking Rhetoric III.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but my college freshman called me at the beginning of the school year and thanked me for signing him up for the Rhetoric classes.  He said that the dense reading and writing that his college professors are assigning is the exact same type of  reading/writingl that Thomas Hummel assigned in his Rhetoric III class. 

Did your kids take separate lit classes (AP?) along with the Rhetoric sequence?