Menu

Those of you who deal with nerve issues - is there anything that works?

creekland

Just weighing in with one tiny tidbit -- I don't know how often you are dehydrated, but my daughters both had to go to the doctor for fainting. They both were constantly dehydrated and then they would stand up and faint.  If they didn't faint, their pulse would race to keep their blood pressure elevated enough so as not to faint.  So my daughter's resting pulse was normal but it shot up when she stood up, much higher than would be normal. Anyway, just another data point. 

• Like 1

Gabapentin and Lyrica weren't much help for my nerve pain, Tegretol (carbamazepine) was a little more helpful. Nerve blocks helped give temporary relief, and then we moved on to radiofrequency ablations. I've had ablations of my occipital nerves and right supraorbital nerve. It lasts for several months (about 10 months last time I had it done), I'm due to have the occipital nerves zapped again.

Who does this?  A doctor?  If so, which specialty?  If not, then who?

Just weighing in with one tiny tidbit -- I don't know how often you are dehydrated, but my daughters both had to go to the doctor for fainting. They both were constantly dehydrated and then they would stand up and faint.  If they didn't faint, their pulse would race to keep their blood pressure elevated enough so as not to faint.  So my daughter's resting pulse was normal but it shot up when she stood up, much higher than would be normal. Anyway, just another data point. 

Never.  I never let the fluid intake drop that low.  I just keep it a quart low if talking about motor engine terms.  It feels "right" at that level for my body.  Higher is definitely wrong.  There's absolutely no feeling of being faint at all.  Pulse only increases with activity (not standing) and I 99% expect that's due to the lung issues as it matches those with a strong correlation line.

Having been outside more doing chores and everyday "life" on the farm, the lung issue is the higher priority for sure.  I can sit here and be annoyed at the ear and jaw pain, but those don't affect life except for being annoying - and the more it's happening (like on today's very windy day) - the more my body/brain is adjusting to that being normal. That's probably what happened last winter, so the first cold day just brought on a WTH moment.  Now my brain is a bit more resigned to "that's life."

Having to pause doing regular chores does affect everyday life.  :glare:

Who does this?  A doctor?  If so, which specialty?  If not, then who?

My initial nerve blocks (for the occipital nerves, pretty simple) were done by my neurologist that I see for my migraines and occipital neuralgia. After getting those for a year or so he referred me to a pain clinic, one of the doctors there did my radiofrequency ablation. The supraorbital nerve was a little different, I researched (yeah, I know, Dr. Google) and requested a nerve block for that nerve at my next pain clinic appointment. The doctor had never done one before but was geekily excited to try it. It gave me relief, and he suggested that we try an RFA on that nerve, again something else he had never done but was confident he could do.

• Like 1

Yes, trigeminal pain, his symptoms started with what he thought was a bad tooth. After two root canals, the endontist told him he need a neurologist. The neurologist tried several things, gabapentin was helpful. After we realized he was also having symptoms like mine (two bad disks in my neck), we asked about an MRI. When the MRI showed issues in his neck, the neurologist prescribed physical therapy. With PT, he no longer needs medicine or to see the neurologist.

• Like 1

My initial nerve blocks (for the occipital nerves, pretty simple) were done by my neurologist that I see for my migraines and occipital neuralgia. After getting those for a year or so he referred me to a pain clinic, one of the doctors there did my radiofrequency ablation. The supraorbital nerve was a little different, I researched (yeah, I know, Dr. Google) and requested a nerve block for that nerve at my next pain clinic appointment. The doctor had never done one before but was geekily excited to try it. It gave me relief, and he suggested that we try an RFA on that nerve, again something else he had never done but was confident he could do.

Thanks for the info.  This is more than I need right now, but it's really nice knowing there are options that work should it get worse in the future.

Yes, trigeminal pain, his symptoms started with what he thought was a bad tooth. After two root canals, the endontist told him he need a neurologist. The neurologist tried several things, gabapentin was helpful. After we realized he was also having symptoms like mine (two bad disks in my neck), we asked about an MRI. When the MRI showed issues in his neck, the neurologist prescribed physical therapy. With PT, he no longer needs medicine or to see the neurologist.

Ok, that makes sense with PT.  My "usual" MRIs don't show problems with disks in the neck.  I fully get the root canals though.  This nerve definitely affects the teeth and one could easily assume that's where the problem lies.  Ditto with the ear - which is why I've been to an ENT twice - and my last instructions from the primary care dr were to "try another one."  Uh, no.  The ear is fine.  I believe the ENTs when they tell me it's not an ear problem.  Even the anatomy teacher at my school could tell me it wasn't an ear problem considering there are no tumors or cysts, balance, or hearing problems.