Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW46: Robert Louis Stevenson

Robin M

I now know who Tyler Henry is. :lol:

No, I don't believe in clairvoyant's. The whole thing just creeps me out and makes me wonder how they got the information about their customers. Yes, beyond skeptical here. ;)

Now the question of do I believe that sometimes something good happens for an unexplained reason that is beyond coincidence? Yes, I do believe there is something greater. Probably the most miraculous was that on the morning of my father's funeral I received a phone call that I was pregnant. When you take into account that my miracle occurred after almost ten years of infertility treatments and blood draws that always came back negative it was pretty amazing. I have always felt that was my Dad looking out for me.

Oddly the book I am reading has a Cassandra character who is a prophet.

• Like 5

Gail Carriger's list of best SF/F romances:

http://gailcarriger.com/2016/05/23/10-of-the-best-sff-romances-that-romance-readers-dont-know-about/

I've read and enjoyed 7 of the 10

Wow, I have liked romance and I like SF/F but I haven't read any on the list. Perhaps because I'm usually in an either/or mood. I really enjoyed No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper. A magician travels back in time to prevent the introduction of evil magic to the world and she must convince a powerful man to back her. Not so much romance as regency fantasy so recommended for those who like the time period and a bit of love story added to the mix.

I'm on my phone but here's the link if anyone's interested in the book I mentioned:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11013172-no-proper-lady?ac=1&from_search=true

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 6

http://gailcarriger.com/2016/05/23/10-of-the-best-sff-romances-that-romance-readers-dont-know-about/

I am just starting to become more interested in fantasy. I found a couple of these to add to my wish lists. Thank you!

Wow, I have liked romance and I like SF/F but I haven't read any on the list. Perhaps because I'm usually in an either/or mood. I really enjoyed No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper. A magician travels back in time to prevent the introduction of evil magic to the world and she must convince a powerful man to back her. Not so much romance as regency fantasy so recommended for those who like the time period and a bit of love story added to the mix.

I'm on my phone but here's the link if anyone's interested in the book I mentioned:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11013172-no-proper-lady?ac=1&from_search=true

This is more my normal, at least the time travel part is. ;) I found it in overdrive so will hopefully be able to try it soon!

• Like 4

Ditto what ErinE said - I've read lots of romance and lots of sci=fi but none of these (maybe the McCafferty one way way back in the 80s, if it was even published then).  Going to be checking the library to see if they have any - but they will have to wait until 2018.  Need to finish the Bingo first!

• Like 5

No, I don't believe in clairvoyant's. The whole thing just creeps me out and makes me wonder how they got the information about their customers. Yes, beyond skeptical here. ;)

Sometimes the whole thing is fake (the "customers" are planted in the audience), sometimes people have filled out questionnaires, sometimes there are hidden microphones, sometimes it's just a knack for cold reading - tossing out lots of information or questions in quick succession until something sticks....  We remember the *hits*, but forget the *misses*...

http://www.skepticreport.com/sr/?p=207

• Like 6

I have mostly been listening to books recently - a mix of light fiction and non-fiction, like some of the Ender's Game series (at the insistance of my youngest and our current extra child, child being a description of the relationship, not their age) and A Man on the Moon.  I am still working my way through the Honor Harrington series, and still enjoying it, when I read a real book.

I haven't been on the board much recently because my life has shifted and I am now spending lots of time walking either the dog or my mother, or driving back and forth.  Hence all the audiobooks.

I miss everyone!

Nan

Hello Nan! I was just thinking about you. I was watching a youtube thing on sailing and wondered how you were doing. How timely of you to check in. Possibly clairvoyance on your part?  :laugh: 

I finished two books this week:

Ronja Røverdatter (Ronia the Robber's Daughter) by Astrid Lindgren. This was my 5th Danish book for the year, and my first encounter with Ronja/Ronia. I was enchanted! I would like to see the Swedish film, but haven't found access to it yet. Amazon Prime has a Studio Ghibli animated series, and I think I will watch at least a few episodes of that.

Love love love Astrid Lindgren. SKL - have you and your daughters done any of her books as read alouds yet?

• Like 7

I'm still behind on all my work deadlines. So busy this month. That's good news (Yay! Going to be able to pay all the bills and eventually retire!) and bad news (Dearest sleep ... I hope to spend some quality time with you soon). Looks like everything is going to be wrapped up by the end of the month so we'll have a breather before it gets crazy again.

I actually popped in to tell everyone that I finished White Nights by Anne Cleeves. It was the second in the Shetland mysteries and I really liked it. I certainly didn't guess the ending. I love the Scotland setting.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 9

My book title - "An Optimist Looks at LIfe".

...Also, put me on the list of skeptics. I had to google the book and it gave me links about a 1940s movie, so I searched again using Tyler's name. Yep, skeptical I am. Or cynical actually according to his definition. I don't believe in the supernatural at all, in any form. Could my mind be changed? Yes but only with solid evidence. Real evidence. Otherwise call me skeptical and cynical. :)

I think you may need to re-title your book.  I suggest "The Skeptical and Cynical Optimist Looks at Life."

I read the first series on the list, 1. The Paradox Series by Rachel Bach, and assumed it would be followed by many other books I'd read.  Nope.  I read 5. Warprize  by Elizabeth Vaughan, so my total is two out of ten.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

All I can say is I now have Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon on hold. A hedgehog is a character in the book. A hedgehog!!! Obviously I enjoyed the article.

Lisa Kleypas has a historical romance that features a hedgehog.  (In fact, I think it may feature in two of her books.)  You can read about it here:

Not your everyday pets in romance: When dogs and cats give way to ... hedgehogs?

http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2015/11/01/kathy-altman-a-family-after-all-unusual-pets/

I've also seen mention of a book with a shifter hedgehog; I think it's an erotic romance ~ Hedging His Bets by Celia Kyle and Mina Carter.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Lisa Kleypas has a historical romance that features a hedgehog. (In fact, I think it may feature in two of her books.) You can read about it here:

Not your everyday pets in romance: When dogs and cats give way to ... hedgehogs?

http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2015/11/01/kathy-altman-a-family-after-all-unusual-pets/

I've also seen mention of a book with a shifter hedgehog; I think it's an erotic romance ~ Hedging His Bets by Celia Kyle and Mina Carter.

Regards,

Kareni

I diligently went hunting and found the romances that I even added to my wish list with hedgehogs, puffins, and mongoose sidekicks. I will report back! ;)

Now shifters need to be romantic and hedgehogs are adorable and cute. Perhaps even cuddly. But a shifter who curls up in a ball if they get scared (like from a light shined on it.... It just doesn't take much to upset a hedgehog, trust me ;) ) is just not going to be very hot shifter romantic. But the thought is hilarious! :lol:

• Like 4

Skeptic here. Even if I thought it was possible to communicate with the dead thanks-but-no-thanks.

However:

(1) I have close friends who are believers and I do not consider my friends' beliefs to be ridiculous, just different than mine.

(2) I love visiting and touring cemeteries, especially old ones.

ETA: I have never read The Tomten! Must rectify...I just requested it through my library. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

Skeptic here. Even if I thought it was possible to communicate with the dead thanks-but-no-thanks.

However:

(1) I have close friends who are believers and I do not consider my friends' beliefs to be ridiculous, just different than mine.

ETA: I have never read The Tomten! Must rectify...I just requested it through my library. 

I hope you enjoy The Tomten!

If someone finds comfort and hope in a belief, I find no reason to intervene. As you mention, people have differing belief systems. That said, if someone is being taken advantage of in the midst of grief or is developing unhealthy coping mechanisms, it gets a whole lot trickier. 

I also have a fondness for cemeteries, especially old ones. A deep respect for the reality and finality of death doesn't preclude an understanding of or connection with the myth, rituals, and power that death holds.

A related reference book:  Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography

• Like 7

I'm still behind on all my work deadlines. So busy this month. That's good news (Yay! Going to be able to pay all the bills and eventually retire!) and bad news (Dearest sleep ... I hope to spend some quality time with you soon). Looks like everything is going to be wrapped up by the end of the month so we'll have a breather before it gets crazy again.

I actually popped in to tell everyone that I finished White Nights by Anne Cleeves. It was the second in the Shetland mysteries and I really liked it. I certainly didn't guess the ending. I love the Scotland setting.

Glad to hear you liked it! I love the setting, too :)

• Like 5

You gals are to blame for me losing sleep last night and not work deadlines. I started The Ghost and Mrs. Muir on Thursday and was just into it a bit. Last night I finished it at 2 am. What an incredible story. Highly recommended to everybody. That said I think I'm the last one of the BaW Irregulars (name that book reference!) to read it.

Now back to arguing with DH over the proper placement and size of handicap markings in parking stalls.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 9

I diligently went hunting and found the romances that I even added to my wish list with hedgehogs, puffins, and mongoose sidekicks. I will report back! ;)

I await your report with interest!

Now back to arguing with DH over the proper placement and size of handicap markings in parking stalls.

I'm curious to know what the options are.

ETA: A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Bee: The Princess of the Dwarfs  by Anatole France

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I've watched the very first Outlander episode, but... in the books I kind of skim through most of the steamy scenes looking for important dialogue. That's a lot harder to do on the screen! [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Yes, the steamy scenes from the book are just as steamy.  I have a tendency to fast forward through those.   :blushing:

Mercedes Lackey is one of my favorite fantasy authors and I've read all her valdemar universe as well as many of her other series. 

You gals are to blame for me losing sleep last night and not work deadlines. I started The Ghost and Mrs. Muir on Thursday and was just into it a bit. Last night I finished it at 2 am. What an incredible story. Highly recommended to everybody. That said I think I'm the last one of the BaW Irregulars (name that book reference!) to read it.

You all have talked me into it. I'll have to read The Ghost and Mrs. Muir soon.  I've watched the movie two or three times now. Don't know why I haven't read the book yet.  Too many I'll get 'round to it's.'      The writing books went out in the mail today and you should have them in a couple days.    Yep, ada requirements are always fun to wade through.  When our architect finished our plans for the building, including the ada requirements, we were surprised at the number of signs necessary and the exacting measurements for placement.  John ran across an ada inspector while he was out for his walk the other day. Sure enough, the guy had his tape measure, checking for exactness.  

• Like 9

However:

I hope you enjoy The Tomten!

If someone finds comfort and hope in a belief, I find no reason to intervene. As you mention, people have differing belief systems. That said, if someone is being taken advantage of in the midst of grief or is developing unhealthy coping mechanisms, it gets a whole lot trickier. 

I also have a fondness for cemeteries, especially old ones. A deep respect for the reality and finality of death doesn't preclude an understanding of or connection with the myth, rituals, and power that death holds.

A related reference book:  Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography

I also have a healthy degree of skepticism along with my curiosity, but have no desire to talk with the dead either.  

I love old cemeteries as well, reading the old stones. The older cemeteries are quite peaceful too.  Thanks for sharing the book, looks quite interesting. 

I have a new title -  Skeptical Knitters and Chocolatiers Outer Space Society.  :laugh: 

• Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Slytherins  by Rachel Brittain

(I may have posted these previously:   A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Ravenclaws  and A Hogwarts House Reading List: 20 Books for Hufflepuffs)

Rachel Brittain 3 Cozy Fantasy Reads for Winter  by Jessica Yang

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~  Can You Forgive Her? (The Palliser Novels)  by Anthony Trollope 

Regards,

Kareni

So many choices!  My father in law has been encouraging me to read Trollope so we can discuss.  Thank you! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Amy, I meant to list this series when I answered your post about mysteries. Have you read any of the Victorian San Francisco Mysteries? I read the first three and enjoyed them as fluff. I forgot about the series until a few days ago when looking through my Kindle content.

I read the first two in this series several years ago also and enjoyed them.

• Like 4

Reading with a theme again.  I'm rather fascinated with the Camino at the moment.

38. "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas.  I've been listening to this while I walk for exercise every evening for the past two months, and finally finished it tonight.  Enjoyable on the whole.  Occasionally got a little bored with the detailed descriptions of things.

37. "The One World School House" by Salman Khan.  Not about the Camino, of course, but I stumbled across it while I was at the library checking out every Camino book they had.  This is both the story of how the Khan academy came about and what he believes is the direction education should go.

36. "A Year of Living Prayerfully" by Jared Brock.  Well, he didn't actually walk the Camino.  He traveled to Santiago de Compostela by car, but I enjoyed the book anyway.  It's a lively account of how he studied the prayer traditions of several faiths by interacting directly with their communities for a year.

35. "10 Routes that Crossed the World" by Gillian Richardson.  This one is written for kids, but I found it rather dry.  

34. "The Road to Santiago" by Kathryn Harrison.  The author walked the Camino once solo, and then tried to take her 12 year-old daughter on another attempt.

33. "The Book of Mormon." (LDS)
32. "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck.
31. "Summerlost" by Ally Condie.
30. "Braving the Wilderness" by Brene Brown.
29. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling.
28. "Guitar Zero: the New Musician and the Science of Learning" by Gary Marcus.
26. "Utah Curiousities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Offbeat Fun" by Brandon Griggs.
25. "Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism" by Dawn Prince-Hughes.
24. "Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor" by Jon Scieszka.
23. "Counseling with Our Councils" by M. Russell Ballard (LDS).
22. "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" by Avi
21. "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright.
20. "QB: My Life Behind the Spiral" by Steve Young.
19. "Batneezer: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
18. "Lord of the Hat: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
17. "Beyond Belief" by Jenna Miscavige Hill.
16. "Ruthless" by Ron Miscavige.
15. "Katfish: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
14. "Pinocula: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
13. "Potterwookiee: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
12. "Worth the Wrestle" by Sheri Dew (LDS).
11. "Wonkenstein: The Creature from my Closet" by Obert Skye.
10. "Cub Scout Wolf Handbook".
9. "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
8. "A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy" by Sue Klebold
7. "Columbine" by Dave Cullen.
6. "Changed through His Grace" by Brad Wilcox (LDS)>
5. "The Reason I Jump" by Naoki Higashida.
4. "No Doubt About It" by Sheri Dew.
3. "Amazed by Grace" by Sheri Dew.
2. "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown.
1. "Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake" by Frank W. Abagnale.

• Like 4