Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW46: Robert Louis Stevenson

Robin M

IIRC, the Sidetracked Home Executives were the inspiration for Flylady. I have also wondered if the Sidetracked Sisters' Happiness File inspired The Happiness Project (which I have not read). I'm old enough that I remember when the Sidetracked Sisters were popular :)

That's my understanding as well-- the "SHE's" were the inspiration for Flylady. 

It does seem each generation has its own gurus. Often I'll read a blog or book and think -- This is just a current version of (insert not so current book here). Not that this phenomenon is anything new. I often have similar thoughts when reading Marcus Aurelius et al. There truly is nothing new under the sun... 

When I was reading The Happiness Project, I thought of Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple AbundanceRomancing the Ordinaryetc.  I thought of Alexandra Stoddard as well.

• Like 8

That's my understanding as well-- the "SHE's" were the inspiration for Flylady.

It does seem each generation has its own gurus. Often I'll read a blog or book and think -- This is just a current version of (insert not so current book here). Not that this phenomenon is anything new. I often have similar thoughts when reading Marcus Aurelius et al. There truly is nothing new under the sun...

When I was reading The Happiness Project, I thought of Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance, Romancing the Ordinary, etc. I thought of Alexandra Stoddard as well.

Oh sheesh, I had forgotten about Alexandra Stoddard. I have one of her books; I think I have Creating a Beautiful Home. And I love Simple Abundance! I have almost all of these books in a box far, far away and now I am itching to look through them again.
  • Like 7

I'm at work today so dropping by with the question of the day:

If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it?

I've been thinking about this and suspect that the title would need to be something along the lines of Rabbit Trails or Just a Minute! I am very easily distracted! I do get my goals done just not always as originally planned......case in point I could put out bunny on the cover. Robin wants titles and I am worrying about cover art! Lol

I finished listening to Elly Griffith's The Zig Zag Girl. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23719322-the-zig-zag-girl. Loved it! It centered on a fictional "elite" group of British operatives during WWII called the Magic Men because many were magicians. Several years later people connected with that group are being murdered. Two more in this series have been published. Yeah!!!

• Like 7

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? I'm doing it as a rebel. I've heard Don Maass recommended at least twice this week. Guess this means he should be on my to-read list!

Yep! I'm doing it as a rebel, too. I write long fantasy anyway, so 50K really isn't even half a book. I think the one I'm working on will end up around 140K and then I'll whittle it down.

I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to read Don Maass' s books. They've really made the most difference to my writing, but he includes so many prompts, etc. that it all gets a little overwhelming. And then I wonder how I'm ever going to keep all that in my head as I write. But if you can take them in small doses and distill them down to their most important points (e.g., write characters who actually do things, don't skimp on the emotions) - then they're very helpful and inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I've been thinking about this and suspect that the title would need to be something along the lines of Rabbit Trails or Just a Minute! I am very easily distracted! I do get my goals done just not always as originally planned......case in point I could put out bunny on the cover. Robin wants titles and I am worrying about cover art! Lol

I was already starting to stress about bad reviews, so I didn't even come up with a title!  :zombiechase:

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 8

Oh sheesh, I had forgotten about Alexandra Stoddard. I have one of her books; I think I have Creating a Beautiful Home. And I love Simple Abundance! I have almost all of these books in a box far, far away and now I am itching to look through them again.

You were wise to store them. I gave away many books a few moves ago and have had to repurchase some that I missed deeply, even if only for the memories...

• Like 6

Quoting myself which actually could be a good title. 

"I can never get a word in edgewise' Club or "uh huh, yes, mmm!"

:laugh:

• Like 6

We loved A Child's Garden of Verses!  "The Swing" was a favorite. Such fond memories of reciting it on the swings! 

The Swing

by Robert Louis Stevenson
How do you like to go up in a swing, 
   Up in the air so blue? 
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing 
   Ever a child can do! 

Up in the air and over the wall, 
   Till I can see so wide, 
Rivers and trees and cattle and all 
   Over the countryside— 

Till I look down on the garden green, 
   Down on the roof so brown— 
Up in the air I go flying again, 
   Up in the air and down!

I always loved going as high as I could.  And also twisting around until the chain was so tight, then releasing and twirling so fast. Giddy city! 

I'm sticking to it and have finished 45 books. My To Read pile is so large it's a bit intimidating. I'm plugging away with things though.

My tbr pile seems to be having babies and the babies having babies. I'll never get through them all.   :laugh:

I just  now finished The Angry Tide (Poldark #7) by Winston Graham. This was 600 pages and I could not put it down! I find Graham's writing makes me feel happy - even when things aren't so sunny in Cornwall.https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2148553178

Also read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen. I had a hard time finishing this one. I mainly did just so I could see how the serial killer was caught and how they pieced together his murder methods. It was very gruesome. :(. The writing wasn't as strong as I had expected it to be. The author sometimes would throw in facts about random people and events and it didn't really tie anything together. I was expecting more of a David McCullough kind of cohesion of facts and it just wasn't there (guess that's why David McCullough is so special  :001_wub: ). I had listened to a podcast about the Columian Exposition a few years ago - maybe it was on the History Chicks? and it was so interesting, but reading it now I just wanted to be done with it. I almost felt tainted reading it  and I'm not usually squeamish about this sort of thing. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21996.The_Devil_in_the_White_City?ac=1&from_search=true

We have this one on our shelves.   :001_unsure:   I think it going to stay there as decoration.  

I have a huge stack of books in progress also. Probably the most relevant one of the moment s The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22838934-the-zig-zag-girl?ac=1&from_search=true. It's the first in a new to me series by one of my favorite authors and seems to be hitting the spot although I have avoided it since it was published. This is one of those times when I am very grateful for Robin's challenges because if I didn't need a Z rather desperately for topaz I would not be listening to this book. It's set in England post WWII and at this point at least is solving a murder involving members of a special MI team that speciality was diverting this enemy using principles derived from magic tricks. Both the suspects and the lead detective were members of the MI team.

I also finished listening to a rather dated cozy by Elizabeth Peters that was first published in 1969. The Camelot Caper is a prequel to her Vicki Bliss series. All I can say is it was charming and funny if you are like me and have a tendency to travel with a guide book after having memorised two others. The heroine was definitely someone I could be friends with! In terms of Brit Tripping this book has four counties mentioned so a gold mine.... Wiltshire, Devonshire, Cornwall, and Somerset. I wish I had waited! But I have decided to start keeping notes now for Amy and Loesje. ;)

Cool beans - glad the challenges are inspiring and taking you outside your reading zone and finding interesting things to read.  I'll have to check the author out. Sounds like a good book. 

Very similar memory here when I saw the intro! I miss poetry and swings but do appreciate being allowed to close the bathroom door! :lol:

The first book in the October Days series is sitting in my pile. I am so looking forward to it after read both your and Erin's reviews.

I used to love the Eve Duncan series. Is this a reread or the first time through for you?

I'm loving the October Daye series.  It took a couple tries from when I think Karen originally suggested a couple years back.  Once I got into it, totally enjoyed her story. Always a lot of action.    The Eve Duncan books are all over the place when it comes to her story.   I've picked up a few of her books and haven't been reading in any particular order.  Some the writing is fantastic and other's so so.  This one, Body of Lies, is lacking in emotion. Lot of talking heads and talking through action and not much in the way of 5 senses. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

I read Dogs as I See Them - 5 Stars - The older I get, the more I love dogs. This charming book was out of print for many years. It’s now back in print with a forward by the author Ann Patchett. The dog sketches are captured beautifully. If you love dogs, this book is an absolute joy. If you know someone who loves dogs, this would be a perfect gift. 

41A7VuFFBQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yes, this is perfect for my niece who loves dogs. One Christmas present down and too many more to go.  :)

I also finished Saints for All Occasions by J Courtney Sullivan.   This was the same author as the book Maine.   I know I read Maine, but I could not remember if I liked it or not and if I should read another book by this author.  Saints for All Occasions started out slowly, but I ended up getting caught up in it.   It was about 2 sisters from Ireland who came to America in the 50s, and shared a big secret that dictated the rest of their lives.   

Sounds great. Adding it to my want list.

This week I finished A Hope More Powerful than the Sea and the Brother Cadfael mystery I was reading for the Middle Ages square and enjoyed both. I updated my Bingo card and need 3 more to finish blackout, so I'm working on that now. I found it very difficult to find a bestseller I wanted to read from dh's or dc's birth years. So many books are the next in a series I don't read, or Tom Clancy stuff I don't read, or good books that I already read. The one I put on hold is Nicholas Sparks' Nights in Rodanthe--not an author I've been interested in reading, but my motivating factor is mostly to pick shortish, easy reading at this point in the year. For Female Adventure I have Circling the Sun on hold. For Science Fiction, I bought an Andrea Host book for my kindle because I enjoyed her Touchstone series and Medair series. So that's the one I'm reading now--And All the Stars. I'm enjoying it and it's going quickly.

How about grandparents or other family members birth years. Don't have to stick with immediate family.  

I finally read The Lost Art of Dress: The Women Who Once Made America Stylish by Linda Przybyszewski. It was discussed on these threads about a year ago. The book mentioned a shift coming that would include more formal dress. I haven't noticed a shift-- other than a few teens who like to wear suits on a day-to-day basis (much to the astonishment of their families). Is anyone else noticing a shift? Even at a recent Renaissance Faire  --jeans and t-shirts. I would guess that with more people working from home, the casual, anything goes dress code will continue for the foreseeable future.

There weren't really any concrete modern suggestions in the book. (Forgivable, as that wasn't the book's goal.)  I was also a bit disappointed in the author's photo -- I had hoped for a great example of modern artful dress. No such luck.

The book did, however, do what it set out to do. It is a delightful history of the Dress Doctors.

Awesome, my sister would love this one.   :thumbup1:

Theo Thijssen:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Thijssen

Is an Dutch author that everybody knows from 'kees, the boy' but never actually has read.

About two hears ago I tried Kees de Jongen, and found it a terrible boek. The author switch between fantasy and the real world all time without notice so I had to reread parts when we were suddenly in the other world.

So I decided never to read Thijssen again.

Untill Tress started to read Thijssen this year, and felt in love with other titels of him: Schoolland and Happy Class.

So I borrowed Happy Class from her and read the book this week.

I really, really liked it.

Although the author is from for the fifties, the stories about the class are written such way I imagined It happened in my own elementary school.

Dealing with school inspectors as well due to homeschooling, I had to smile when there becomes a new way of keeping some records and it effects the whole school although some teachers jus ignore the new rules.

I just liked the book :)

I found some chapter excerpts in english here and  here 

I just reached over and plucked that right off my book shelf and deposited it into the donation box.

Finished The Beach by Alex Garland - it struck me as very juvenile and also dated, being written in 1997ish.  Set in Thailand with a cast of characters of Western 'travelers', it seemed that the author, who was very young when he wrote it, was trying to figure out his own morals and what he wanted his life to be like.  I won't be keeping that on The Shelf.

Trying to find a new read aloud for evenings with the kids (10 and 11, not that into fantasy/sci-fi and my preference is for older books because they are simply much more pleasant to read out loud).  We have been striking out lately.  Ideas welcome.  

How about James Patterson Maximum Ride series or possible Grisham's Theodore Boone?

Books read the prior week: I finished several horror books started in October: Lovecraft’s Monsters, City Infernal, and Ararat. Horror was my favorite genre when I was younger. King, Koontz, Saul - I would read the books as soon as they appeared in the library. I think my loss of interest was partially the genre shifted away from me and I grew less interested in scary stories. City Infernal had too much gore-ography for me. Ararat, while scary, ended with a possible child in danger (or dangerous child). Lovecraft’s Monsters, the best of the three, was still too gory for my tastes though the reader Bernard Clark will be on my watch-for list.

When I was pregnant with my first child, everyone wanted to talk to me about the recent murder of a pregnant woman. No matter how many times I explained I didn’t want to hear it, people would insist that I needed to hear this! one! thing! I finally just resorted to sticking my fingers in my ears and humming. Childish, yes, but it got the point across. I think that was the start of my falling out with horror. Child in peril stories hold little appeal for me now and too many horror stories use it.

I also read two great nature reads: The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating and The Soul of an Octopus. Rose recommended Snail and it was a lovely insight into a bedridden woman’s musings on her pet snail. Octopus was a fantastic look at the eight-armed creature plus the action mostly takes place in the Boston Aquarium, one of my favorite places to visit. Both the book and the aquarium are highly recommended. A great Kraken! read if you’re following Rose’s Big Bingo Challenge.

For literature, I was on a trickster kick a few weeks ago so Stacia recommended Mr. Fox. Thank you, Stacia! It was a fantastic book leaving me wondering what is real, what isn’t, where is this story going? Lovely, magical, charming, poignant – a wonderful book. I also finished another Ishiguro - When We Were Orphans, his take on the British detective story. It absolutely wasn’t what I expected as the author takes the unreliable narrator to its extreme.

I finally, finally finished The Myth of the Eternal Return, a short book, but written (translated?) in a clumsy style. I believe it was one of the first books on the history of comparative religion/mythology. A must-read if you're interested in the subject, but not one of my favorite books.

And to wrap up the prior week's reads, there's Home Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow which seemed promising, but ultimately fell short of my expectations. Harari, like many enamored with Big Data, believes humans to simply be a series of algorithms and if good enough formulas are created, outcomes can be perfectly predicted. I've assisted in the creation of predictive models and I adore them. There's something soothing about dealing with massive rows of numbers, cleaning up data, making everything fit neatly into cells and tables and formulas. History can be forced to behave. But ultimately, as anyone who's worked with models knows, they're only predictive, not descriptive, and only within certain statistical boundaries. Humans have a tendency to refuse to conform. 

Books read last week:

• Hex by Thomas Olde Heveult. Horror. A witch haunts a New England town. Originally written in Dutch, but translated into English and re-located to the US. I'm trying to finish up my October spooky reads.
  • A Pale View of the Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro. Literature. After the suicide of her firstborn child in England, a Japanese woman reflects on her pregnancy in Nagasaki, Japan. Ishiguro’s first book.
  • A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab. Fantasy. A magician fights the summoned magic of another realm. An excellent end to the series. I highly recommend all three books in the series.
  • The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston. Nonfiction – Science. A journalist travels with archaeologists in their search for a lost Mesoamerican city. One of my favorite middle-grade series is Scientists in the Field which is probably why I enjoyed this book so much. There’s snakes, bugs, spiders, and flesh-eating parasites, but it’s an interesting look at the steps people will take to pursue their passions.
  • Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy by Anne Lamott. Religious Philosophy. I don’t think Lamott’s musings are to my taste though I know many people find her thoughts inspirational. A 240s Big Bingo Challenge read, though my library got rid of the Dewey Decimal system so I can't say for sure (I've already ranted about the change so I'll spare everyone here).
  • Devil’s Cut (The Bourbon Kings #3) by J.R. Ward. Contemporary Romance. A former playboy fights to save his family business.
  • The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell. Nonfiction – Mythology. The author of The Hero With a Thousand Faces and The Hero’s Journey muses on society, symbolism, and mythology.

I'm currently listening to The Story of Human Language by John McWhorter. I'm not usually interested in linguistics, but McWhorter is an engaging lecturer. I especially enjoy the discussions on languages outside the traditional Western European focus. I have one or two last horror reads that I'm racing to finish, the final two Ishiguro books I haven't read, and a Pratchett that I didn't realize I had buried in my TBR stack. Last week's finance topic led me to search out a few books I'd been meaning to read so I have The Undoing Project, a look at behavioral economics and the rise of Big Data, and The Black Swan, a book on predicting improbable events.

So many good books.  My hubby read The Black Swan and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Mr. Fox is also on my wishlist thanks to Stacia.   The Power of Myth and Campbell's books are great. 

• Like 9

I was already starting to stress about bad reviews, so I didn't even come up with a title!  :zombiechase:

AW!  

It's raining, it's pouring. Yeah! 

RLS Rain Poem seems appropriate for the evening. 

The rain is raining all around,
It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea.

Good night my dears! My guys are demanding attention.  
Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

My book would be called, How to be Boring: Strategies for Avoiding an Exciting Life at All Costs

:lol:

• Like 10

I think I'd call it "So That Happened..."

Time Management from the Inside Out is actually the one I was thinking of. The time map rocked my world. And before Flylady, there were the Sidetracked Home Executives.

I actually got more out of the Sidetracked Home Executives than FLYLady.

• Like 10

My book would be called, How to be Boring: Strategies for Avoiding an Exciting Life at All Costs

I love your title! Boring is such a wonderful comfortable thing and definitely worth striving for. I am very fond of comfortable!

I just finished my latest installment of The Cat Who series.......in this case The Cat Who Lived High https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/149319.The_Cat_Who_Lived_High?ac=1&from_search=true. It was excellent, Qwill returns to his life down below in Junktown. I love the fact that he is such a kind person who is able to take an interest in all those around him. Quietly, with true concern. Also the cats frequently made me laugh! Gentle cozies....

These books are a reread for me and I actually remember this book's release. :lol: Yes, I was very happy to get my copy. I actually had a signed copy but didn't attend the signing. I now really wish I had. Local author at the time with signed editions at a local bookstore.

• Like 8

Good morning! And I've now got a title for the sequel of my life as a book ... John! Where are your pants? Inspiration came from my kid this morning. At 4 am. When he climbed into bed with me and DH.

((Hugs)) and LOL. I love how our book titles say so much about our personalities.

My book would be called, How to be Boring: Strategies for Avoiding an Exciting Life at All Costs

I would check this book out from the library!

• Like 10

I've been reading InstaPot cookbooks like mad (*wink* at Mumto and LadyFlorida). Last night I read one with vegan recipes because it was one of the few at my library without half the metro population on hold in front of me. My DH was a little bit sad that I had marked a few recipes to try from it. Anyone have any cookbooks that they love for their IP? I'd like to get one to go with the IP one of the grandmothers is going to get for Christmas.

(I love love love mine!)

• Like 8

I think my book's title would be:  Musical Beds:  How to sleep in a different bed every night and not lose your mind (or your phone, your glasses or your book).

The sequel could be entitled:  Everyone Else's Brain: When do I get to use it myself?

Related to the discussion about productivity/organization type books, a friend and I are doing a year long Happiness Project challenge. Each month we are going to read a chapter in the book and try to figure out how we would attempt to make ourselves happy following her models.  The first month in her book, which she starts in January, but we've started in November because we're rebels like that, is all about Boosting Energy.  So we have each come up with ways that will hopefully help us boost our energy (physical and mental) and we are endeavouring to put those into place this month.  So far, halfway into the month, I can't say that I have more energy but I am thinking about the things that give me energy more and trying to figure out how to have less energy sucked away from me.

• Like 11

Related to the discussion about productivity/organization type books, a friend and I are doing a year long Happiness Project challenge. Each month we are going to read a chapter in the book and try to figure out how we would attempt to make ourselves happy following her models.  The first month in her book, which she starts in January, but we've started in November because we're rebels like that, is all about Boosting Energy.  So we have each come up with ways that will hopefully help us boost our energy (physical and mental) and we are endeavouring to put those into place this month.  So far, halfway into the month, I can't say that I have more energy but I am thinking about the things that give me energy more and trying to figure out how to have less energy sucked away from me.

Rubin's habits book discusses starting new projects/goals NOW --not waiting for some ideal start time. Otherwise you might lose interest or never find the *perfect* time to begin. Now is the perfect time. 

• Like 10

Rubin's habits book discusses starting new projects/goals NOW --not waiting for some ideal start time. Otherwise you might lose interest or never find the *perfect* time to begin. Now is the perfect time. 

This is so true.  I tell myself that all the time (along with my other favourite mantra which is 'if it only takes 5 minutes, just do it NOW', don't look at it, figure out what to do, figure out it will take 5 minutes and then put it aside only to have to repeat the whole process again some days or weeks later, therefore taking up even more time as you try to figure out - again - what to do).  

I'm not necessarily that good at following the just do it now philosophy, but I do feel it is a good one.

• Like 10

On the topic of Robert Louis Stevenson ...

An interesting fact for those of us who are Flufferton inclined - DE Stevenson was his niece. (Actually she was something like a second cousin once removed or something but I never can manage to work that out.)

If you are not already a fan I would suggest starting with:

Miss Buncle's Book

or

Celia's House

Those books also get the award of the day for "Cover Art That Belongs on Another Book Because That's Not What Happens In This Book"

1200465.jpg  2426652.jpg

• Like 10

I love your title! Boring is such a wonderful comfortable thing and definitely worth striving for. I am very fond of comfortable!

I just finished my latest installment of The Cat Who series.......in this case The Cat Who Lived High https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/149319.The_Cat_Who_Lived_High?ac=1&from_search=true. It was excellent, Qwill returns to his life down below in Junktown. I love the fact that he is such a kind person who is able to take an interest in all those around him. Quietly, with true concern. Also the cats frequently made me laugh! Gentle cozies....

These books are a reread for me and I actually remember this book's release. :lol: Yes, I was very happy to get my copy. I actually had a signed copy but didn't attend the signing. I now really wish I had. Local author at the time with signed editions at a local bookstore.

The Cat Lived High is one of my favorites. It has such sentimental value to me. My grandmother had it along with about five or six other Cat Who books on tape and would listen to one every evening as she fell asleep. My room was just down the hall and I could listen along at night. I lived with her from the time I graduated college until DH and I got married.

That does bring up a question I've wondered for awhile though. Was the beautiful woman he met occasionally in the hallway supposed to be an *ahem* gentlemen's escort? I always thought so but didn't want to ask my grandma.

• Like 6

:laugh:  Is this one better? 

51ugZ%2BaVSIL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

I

I do like that one better overall but the book is set during WWII. I don't know why poor Celia only could wear her mother's clothes from the 20's?!?!

I have a secret fondness for really bad book covers.

All this talk between you, Penguin, and Raifta is motivating me to get some projects around the house done!

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

Some Kindle books on sale today:

Olive Kitteridge

Gods and Generals

Queen Isabella

Things Fall Apart

Thank you for these. I considered the first three (I already own and read Things Fall Apart) but in the end decided on just the Queen Isabella book. I started reading it last night and like it so far. 

• Like 7

I feel like I'm holding the thread hostage by talking about book covers ... again.

Three book covers for the same book. The first is the paperback release, the second is the American hardback, and the third is the British hardback. Which do you like the best? I find it fascinating that there would such radically different covers for the same book depending on the market.

16142131.jpg  12707039.jpg   13565909.jpg

Lady Gwendoline Muir has experienced her fair share of tragedies in her short life: she lost her husband to a freak accident, and developed a limp after falling from horseback. Still young, Gwen is sure that she's done with love, and that she will never be married again.

Gwen tries to be content with her life as it is, and to live through the happy marriages of her brother and her best friend, Viscountess Ravensberg. She's happy for them, and for years that is enough for her . . . until she meets Lord Tretham - a man who returned from the Peninsula Wars a hero, but is unable to escape the bite of his survivor's guilt. For he might just be the man who can convince her to believe in second chances.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

I feel like I'm holding the thread hostage by talking about book covers ... again.

Three book covers for the same book. The first is the paperback release, the second is the American hardback, and the third is the British hardback. Which do you like the best? I find it fascinating that there would such radically different covers for the same book depending on the market.

Either the second or third one would be my choice. I don't like the first one. It looks too much like a good old bodice ripper. The guy looks like he's supposed to be a modern day Fabio. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

The three different book covers for the same book are amazing!   I had to go back and read what you said, I thought you were saying you read those books.   

I would not read the first book because Fabio does not appeal to me.   I'm sure others would go for that one first!   The middle one definitely looks like "my type" of book.

I've found that the old adage, "don't judge a book by it's cover" isn't always true.   Sometimes I pick books because they have a cool or interesting cover.   But in this case, whoa!

• Like 10

I've read that book!  I actually like the third cover best.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

"Commissioner Sanders should have known better than to go on vacation. He is just a few days from his offices in British West Africa when he receives word from his second in command that trouble, always at a simmer in this jungle outpost, is about to come to a boil. He rushes home, arriving just in time for a meeting of the chiefs of his territory, who have been misled by an ambitious agitator named Bosambo into thinking that Sanders is dead. Sanders’s return staves off rebellion, but Bosambo’s power grab is not over yet. To keep the province from erupting into all-out tribal warfare, Sanders must outsmart the most brilliant chieftain in Africa.

In these rip-roaring adventures, the heroic commissioner contends with malaria, ju-ju, and the whims of government officials safely ensconced in their London offices. The People of the River is both a good-natured thrill ride and a fascinating historical document."

Also currently free ~

The Librarian: A First Contact Story by M.N. Arzu

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I've been reading InstaPot cookbooks like mad (*wink* at Mumto and LadyFlorida). Last night I read one with vegan recipes because it was one of the few at my library without half the metro population on hold in front of me. My DH was a little bit sad that I had marked a few recipes to try from it. Anyone have any cookbooks that they love for their IP? I'd like to get one to go with the IP one of the grandmothers is going to get for Christmas.

(I love love love mine!)

You never told me you had bought one! As you know I love mine. I think I have had most of the Instant Pot Cookbooks out of the library but still just google. I think I have a better idea how to make things work thanks to the cookbooks but really haven't found the perfect cookbook yet. Part of the problem is I rarely buy specific ingredients for any meal so items not in my normal pantry are a pain. I think the one I thought was the most helpful was The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook by Coco Morante. I believe it was the one with useful charts for the basic's like meat, potatoes, beans, rice.

The Cat Lived High is one of my favorites. It has such sentimental value to me. My grandmother had it along with about five or six other Cat Who books on tape and would listen to one every evening as she fell asleep. My room was just down the hall and I could listen along at night. I lived with her from the time I graduated college until DH and I got married.

That does bring up a question I've wondered for awhile though. Was the beautiful woman he met occasionally in the hallway supposed to be an *ahem* gentlemen's escort? I always thought so but didn't want to ask my grandma.

Well she is said to be a model. She definitely was a model with plenty of cash so..... yes dear that's my take on it. ;)

The three different book covers for the same book are amazing!   I had to go back and read what you said, I thought you were saying you read those books.   

I would not read the first book because Fabio does not appeal to me.   I'm sure others would go for that one first!   The middle one definitely looks like "my type" of book.

I've found that the old adage, "don't judge a book by it's cover" isn't always true.   Sometimes I pick books because they have a cool or interesting cover.   But in this case, whoa!

Definitely the middle one if I have to physically be seen with the book! Life improved greatly with my Kindle because the only people who ever see my covers are my family and I know longer share a Kindle account with them.

Those three cover's illustrate perfectly my problems with physical books and impulse buying\ checking out. There is no way other than knowing titles you ever would guess they are the same! Yes, Kareni, I have read The Proposal also.

DE Stevenson's books are so very good. Recently I learned that she received a Blue Plaque. Really happy she was recognized. http://www.dalyght.ca/DEStevenson/index.html. Also this is interesting, I found it hunting for my other link. Apparently two of her books have been sitting in an attic unpublished. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-13280234

• Like 9

On the topic of Robert Louis Stevenson ...

An interesting fact for those of us who are Flufferton inclined - DE Stevenson was his niece. (Actually she was something like a second cousin once removed or something but I never can manage to work that out.)

If you are not already a fan I would suggest starting with:

Miss Buncle's Book

or

Celia's House

Those books also get the award of the day for "Cover Art That Belongs on Another Book Because That's Not What Happens In This Book"

1200465.jpg  2426652.jpg

Interesting!

And I like bad/what were they thinking?/did they even read the book? book covers, too!

SaveSave

• Like 6

Why do they feel they have to change the cover? 

1st one - ugh! I would be embarrassed reading that one.  2nd one - Not bad and probably the one I would choose. 3rd one - Ok, but is screaming 'silly book' at me. 

SaveSave

• Like 6

Definitely the middle one if I have to physically be seen with the book! Life improved greatly with my Kindle because the only people who ever see my covers are my family and I know longer share a Kindle account with them.

Those three cover's illustrate perfectly my problems with physical books and impulse buying\ checking out. There is no way other than knowing titles you ever would guess they are the same! Yes, Kareni, I have read The Proposal also.

DE Stevenson's books are so very good. Recently I learned that she received a Blue Plaque. Really happy she was recognized. http://www.dalyght.ca/DEStevenson/index.html. Also this is interesting, I found it hunting for my other link. Apparently two of her books have been sitting in an attic unpublished. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-13280234

Agreed!

and neat article! I'll have to look those titles :)

SaveSave

• Like 6

That makes me deliriously happy! Now if they could find a few unreleased Georgette Heyer books it would be like Christmas come early.

• Like 7

Interesting results. From our informal BaW poll it looks like:

• zero votes for half naked guy with 1990's hairstyle
  • two votes the the third book cover (Amy and Kareni)
  • all the rest of the votes for the middle cover

You guys voted by party lines mostly - the middle one was the American cover.

The question then becomes... who is buying the book with the first cover? Someone must be because otherwise they wouldn't design one like that. Have I inadvertently shamed a fellow BaW member and they haven't voted? I hope not! Are we just not the market for that cover?

• Like 7

Robin-

I have a few more ideas for either BaW topics for next year or Bingo squares.

• Book vs movie
  • Craft books - everyone posts a favorite how-to book from their respective hobby
  • Assigned reading - I loved doing this earlier this year. Kathy assigned me Sun in Splendor and it was one of my favorite books from 2017! The way it worked was I post a link to my to-read list and she picked my next book to read.
  • Pick a book from the oldest ten books on your to read shelf
  • Revisit a childhood favorite
  • Like 10

Robin-

I have a few more ideas for either BaW topics for next year or Bingo squares.

• Book vs movie
  • Craft books - everyone posts a favorite how-to book from their respective hobby
  • Assigned reading - I loved doing this earlier this year. Kathy assigned me Sun in Splendor and it was one of my favorite books from 2017! The way it worked was I post a link to my to-read list and she picked my next book to read.
  • Pick a book from the oldest ten books on your to read shelf
  • Revisit a childhood favorite

Wonderful. I'll add them to the list and start working on the calendar.  

You all inspired me with the habits discussion.  I decided to unplug today until I got things done on my list. Definitely found out where my times goes, especially with James periodically popping in to ask me "did I get a response to my tweet? Did x post his video yet? And hey mom lets look at something.  :laugh:    Which invariably leads to me browsing away after we are done and forgetting what I was supposed to be doing.   :tongue_smilie:   We were 95% successful and only spent about 10 minutes online during the day.   Did a bunch of decluttering,  sorted through a bunch of paperwork, 2 more boxes went into the garage and got all the laundry done among various other things and managed to help James with his lessons.   :thumbup1:  

I also pulled out Sunne in Splendor and Lady of the English because both are calling my name. Now I just need to decide which one.  

Wanna pick for me?

Amy, I vote for the third cover.  Leaves more up to the imagination.

• Like 10

We went to DC yesterday, and I finally made it to Politics & Prose bookstore. They are absolutely a huge name around DC. Whenever the big names are in town, Politics & Prose is usually the host. A lot of times, the big name speakers like Isabel Allende and John Green are off-site. Yesterday, we happened upon author Daniel Swift talking about Ezra Pound. The book is The Bughouse: The Poetry, Politics, and Madness of Ezra Pound. I had to drift in and out of listening to him, or I would not have had time to look around. 

Today, I indulged in one of my favorite hobbies: rearranging bookshelves. I was trying to find something and then the whole thing got out of hand...

What a neat bookshop and they have a subscription membership.  I am so tempted!

Writing my report real quick before I read the thread...

I've been (happily) spending lots of time writing lately! We've also had kids at home for fall break and we just took a trip to see my mom and dad. I thought that the amount of reading I was doing would go down but somehow I got sucked into Diana Gabaldon's books instead.

Since my last post I think I have read:

By Diana Gabaldon:

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (finished this one)

An Echo in the Bone (one of the best in the series, I think. Loved the job she did with William.)

Written in My Own Heart's Blood ( not as good as Echo in the Bone but still kept me reading)

And I'm currently reading The Scottish Prisoner, one of her Lord John Grey books which is mostly about Jamie.

Other books:

Spyridon -- self-published SF romance. The romance isn't too heavy, though, and it's quite clean. Bit clunky, though. Too many accent marks in the names and the world building is confusing. But I got hooked trying to see if the two main characters would ever get together.

Writing 21st Century Fiction - Don Maass. His books both inspire and terrify me. At the end of the day, I think they are hugely helpful.

Another book I can't remember the name of...basically writing inspiration for pantsers. Lots of weird new agey terms like "dreamstorming" but if you can put up with those, very good stuff, especially if you (like me) seem to be congenitally unable to follow an outline. I'll have to look up the name when I'm off my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabaldon's books are addictive and I read them all one right after the other.  I have the Lord Grey books as well just haven't read them yet.  Have you watched the Outlander show on Starz? 

I have to decide on a new read-aloud.  I have a book about Christmas, but I am not sure if it's too early to start it.  Otherwise I was thinking Strawberry Girl.  At the rate our read-alouds have been going, I think I'd better start on the Christmas one - now to find it ....

Oh, and the girls' middle school book selection, which we will start after Oliver Twist, is Harriet the Spy.  I haven't read it before so I'm looking forward to it.

Have you considered Anne of Green Gables or maybe Swallows and Amazon?  

I finished reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  I never thought I'd say I liked a book by her.  It was good, though slow at times.

Yes, it was definitely intriguing. I enjoyed it as well. It's been a while since I read it. 

Just a quick wave hello before I dive back into a very busy week.

I'm "this close" to finishing a relisten to Good Omens. It's one of those book that so many love, and while there is much I like about it, overall I find some of the humor forced, cynical, unoriginal, and a little mean spirited. I never feel that way with Discworld books -- I like how Pratchett gently satirizes us through his books. But the gloves are off in Good Omens and to me at least, it isn't funny. But, as I said, I do like it on the whole -- the plot, the main characters, the message of free will. It's got that Star Trek trope going of the aliens who say, "Oh those humans, they are rather clever and interesting, aren't they?"

Waving hello back!  I have Good Omens on my list for next B&N trip.  They gave me a $60 credit from the last class action thing which is exciting. Rubbing hands gleefully!    Have you seen The Trouble Notes playing Grand Masquerade on OjoBuzz?  Beautifully done. When are we going to get another video of you playing?  

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? I'm doing it as a rebel. I've heard Don Maass recommended at least twice this week. Guess this means he should be on my to-read list!

I have his Writing the Breakout Novel  if you'd like me to send it to you.  

• Like 7

You really can't tease us like that. Now I want to see your book cover with Bunny.  

Yep! I'm doing it as a rebel, too. I write long fantasy anyway, so 50K really isn't even half a book. I think the one I'm working on will end up around 140K and then I'll whittle it down.

I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to read Don Maass' s books. They've really made the most difference to my writing, but he includes so many prompts, etc. that it all gets a little overwhelming. And then I wonder how I'm ever going to keep all that in my head as I write. But if you can take them in small doses and distill them down to their most important points (e.g., write characters who actually do things, don't skimp on the emotions) - then they're very helpful and inspiring.

.The secret is to forget everything you've read and don't worry about it while you write. You'll discover when you go back and read what you've written, that it will have become muscle memory and intuitively come out in your writing.  

I think I'd call it "So That Happened..."

Good morning! And I've now got a title for the sequel of my life as a book ... John! Where are your pants? Inspiration came from my kid this morning. At 4 am. When he climbed into bed with me and DH.

((Hugs)) and LOL. I love how our book titles say so much about our personalities.

I think my book's title would be:  Musical Beds:  How to sleep in a different bed every night and not lose your mind (or your phone, your glasses or your book).

The sequel could be entitled:  Everyone Else's Brain: When do I get to use it myself?

All great titles and as Amy says, so revealing and shows a sense of humor as well. 

I just received Brandon Sanderson's latest doorstopper Oathbringer so I'll probably spend the rest of my week reading it.

Awesome.  Enjoy!   Did you receive your Bingo Prize from Amazon?  They have a tendency to leave out notes about who things are from. 

• Like 8

I read Anne of Green Gables to them a couple of years ago.  They loved it.  I had not heard of the Swallows / Amazon book before.  ... I decided to start Polar Bear Christmas.  My kid is crazy about polar bears, and the book comes highly recommended as a read-aloud.  So far so good.  Just last month I took my kids to NYC (where the story is set) and we went to the zoo at Central Park etc., so they can relate to the scenes.  Bummer that the polar bears at that zoo died several years ago.

Have you considered Anne of Green Gables or maybe Swallows and Amazon?  

• Like 9

The middle book cover reminded me of some of the older hardback covers of Kate Morton's books, which is one reason I liked it.

51wwAE5J6EL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sooo...thinking of Kate Morton's book covers led me to thinking of her books. Then I starting thinking of a subplot in a book and realized I have no idea what book it is from. It's driving me around the bend! I thought it was a Kate Morton book, but I think I've only read The Forgotten Garden and maybe one other, but I don't remember which one. The subplot is not in The Forgotten Garden.  I'm pretty sure the book is another chunkster, though. IIRC, it's a minor subplot and involves a young son being sent to boarding school against the mother's wishes. Eventually he runs away and the headmaster and both parents agree it's not a good fit. This is only a small part of the story, though, and I don't remember any of the rest of the book.

Ring any bells for anyone? Pretty please?

• Like 7

51rs8BG8DIL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg         71Uo6rXjUzL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread (so the first one in this post). 

Anyone else game for another round of Choose a Cover?  ;)  Do you prefer the counterpart to your choice in the first round? 

• Like 8

Very similar memory here when I saw the intro! I miss poetry and swings but do appreciate being allowed to close the bathroom door! :lol:

I get to close bathroom doors now, but my youngest will slide things under the door for me to see. Even my older kids talk to me through the door to ask questions, "Mom? Where is....? What do I do...? Can I....?"

I finished reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  I never thought I'd say I liked a book by her.  

Same here. 

My title, "1000 Creative Places for Your Secret Chocolate Stash"

• Like 8

I have his Writing the Breakout Novel  if you'd like me to send it to you.  

Yes please!

51rs8BG8DIL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg         71Uo6rXjUzL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread. 

Anyone else game for another round of Choose a Cover?  ;)  Do you prefer the counterpart to your choice in the first round? 

What an exciting place this has been today with all the book covers!

I like option one, which is the opposite of what I liked with the Mary Balogh books. I think that style of Kate Morton book is so lovely. The subtle details are great too like the delicate scroll work around the edge. 

Let me ponder your mystery of what book your subplot was in. Seems to ring a bell with me too but I can't place it. 

• Like 8

My favorite is the British hardback. 

• Like 8

51rs8BG8DIL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg71Uo6rXjUzL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

Searching (in vain) to find the title of the book I'm looking for, I ran across these two covers. They remind me of choices 2 and 3. Again, I'm drawn to the cover most like the second one upthread.

Anyone else game for another round of Choose a Cover? ;) Do you prefer the counterpart to your choice in the first round?

Yes,the counterpart again. The painting in the first one actually makes me want to read the book!

I will think about your mystery book but I can't remember any where the miserable boy at boarding school was able to go home! In my books the son generally becomes distant from his parents and makes two friends who become closer than brothers! ;) :lol:

Eta. I just started looking around in Good reads and naturally started with Kate Morton, I have read two, The Lake House and The Forgotten Garden, the only one marked as Want to Read is The Distant Hours with the same cover as in your comparison. The painted one.....told you it made me want to read the book.

I get to close bathroom doors now, but my youngest will slide things under the door for me to see. Even my older kids talk to me through the door to ask questions, "Mom? Where is....? What do I do...? Can I....?"

My title, "1000 Creative Places for Your Secret Chocolate Stash"

:lol: Chocolate!!!!

Your kids are persistent, I never got a note under the door! I will admit that a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was by myself in the house and didn't bother shut the door all the way, saving electricity. When dd tracked me down she actually closed the door for me before grilling me. Unfortunately she didn't turn the light on but one can't have everything!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8