Menu

Keeping Chemistry Challenging when working with two students

I am teaching Chemistry this year to my 10th and 11th graders. We are doing Introductory Chemistry by Zumdahl and are currently ready for Chapter 8. 

One of them is struggling more and needs lots of repetition. The other could be moving faster. But I have 5 kids at home and I do not have time to teach Chemistry separately. So I am looking for ways to challenge the younger one while she waits for the older one.

Do you have any ideas? Chemistry texts seem to be so different, that I'm not sure how helpful random worksheets will be, but maybe I should just try some and hope for the best. 

I have had her do some work setting up labs or demonstrations, but I'd like to challenge her as well.

Oh, maybe a writing assignment!

I'm open to any ideas you have.

Thanks,

Kendall 

Had you thought about giving her a list of interesting chemistry books that she can read while she waits? No output (so she's not being "punished" for understanding quickly), but something to add to her studies? Disappearing Spoon comes to mind. There have been previous threads (living books to go with chemistry, extra reading in chemistry or living books for chemistry, for example) about interesting chem books if you want ideas.

• Like 1