Menu

Mighteor

Mighteor and Zones are totally compatible. I would do both. Do you have the Zones of Reg book yet? The book is good and the workshop is good. The workshop is the book, but for me it really helped pull it all together. 

Mighteor is also pulling in concepts from the Interroception book. Seriously profound, hitting a lot of levels. It's going to be putting shoe leather on it, doing in a visceral way what you only hit cognitively and verbally a lot of the times with Zones and talk-based approaches. 

I can imagine scenarios where some kids' needs are met by Mighteor alone, but for situations where you're thinking Zones would apply, yes I would be doing both.

Also, just so you realize, the cost of Mighteor is essentially subsidized right now, quite low compared to the value of the tech. 

I guess I don't know what to make of your question about past the initial few months. When you do therapy for a part of the brain and target a part of the brain, you're making wiring and new paths. If you're working on working memory, yes it's a use it or lose it kind of situation, where you can build up a proficiency and lose it. However with any work on interroception, you're making paths in that part of the brain, making connections for awareness that were not there before. That is durable and going to stick. 

I have used Mighteor personally, in addition to having my ds use it, and I find it one of the singularly most simple, powerful tools I've done EVER. It's really a can't go wrong. Super cheap, super easy to implement, probably going to do something, and if you have interroception issues that something is going to be SO profound it will blow your mind.

My son is using Mighteor. At the beginning of the program they have an excercise that helps set the goal rate. My kid struggles a lot, so his goals set low. Therefore, the program on many days isn't challenging enough. They are really responsive to working with us.

I have seen him try to self calm outside the game. I've not seen big aha yet. He's over a month in. 

• Like 1

My dd is about a month in.

She has learned to raise her heart rate very rapidly without any physical motion but she has a much harder time lowering it again. She is not working very hard toward that goal, though. She thinks it's much funnier to breathe in various contrived ways than to try to breathe slowly the way they encourage. Lol... I think... maybe.

The counselor at Mighteor seems well-informed and helpful. She has assured me that dd can benefit from the program, however she uses it. I can't say we've seen any change yet, but they said most people begin seeing results about six weeks in.

Dd uses the program willingly enough. Given the relatively low cost, and the overall ease of the program, I'm very willing to give it a shot. If it works, it will be worth many times the present cost. Can't say we're there yet, but I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

Sbgrace, it might be that some of our "ahas" are coming because we're pairing the explicit instruction of the Social Thinking materials with the physical process, the interroception an awareness building, of the Mighteor. There might be some synergy there.

Could be. He's getting a lot of work on self calming (Zones, mindfulness, calming techniques generally)...all his therapists come to target the same things.

I actually thing it could be fantastic for him if it was just challenging. He sits in "blue" most of the time he plays. And, believe me (not just my life observation/he's been tested at the Children's hospital with their own system) he has very little ability to regulate. He just bounces too much in that heart rate thing at the beginning. The minute he starts to bounce back up after going below red, his heart rate goal gets set too high. But our counselor and support has been very helpful. I"m still hopeful we can make it work for him.

He likes it. 

What are you using for interroception? I may have asked before...I've been so overwhelmed with him (severe insomnia going on a year now..has made all this so much worse; and I feel like a big old clock is ticking now that he's in his teens)  

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

You might try doing Mighteor yourself, if you haven't yet, to see if that gives you a better sense of how to guide him. I think you're going to find it takes a lot longer than you anticipate. You're pulling a lot of threads together in the brain.

Edited by OhElizabeth

• 2 weeks later...

That prices is not bad for the equipment I wonder if the heart rate monitor works with other heart rate monitor apps. I had ask if more than one child can use it and the prices includes all your kids so that is encouraging. I wonder if there are any games a 13 year old would play. 

Edited by exercise_guru

That prices is not bad for the equipment I wonder if the heart rate monitor works with other heart rate monitor apps. I had ask if more than one child can use it and the prices includes all your kids so that is encouraging. I wonder if there are any games a 13 year old would play. 

My son is 13. He does play, gravitating toward certain games, but he's never spent large amounts of time gaming or on screens generally (he does play regular video games, but not for hours like some kids--throws him way off kilter if he has too much screen time). I think it would vary by the kid. There is a good return policy.

But mostly I am replying because my son's counselor said they are trying to target future games toward teens--they are aware that there is a need for games geared older. I suspect that teens who do a lot of gaming, especially if resistant or not particularly motivated to work on these skills, would be underwhelmed based on what she shared about the need. That said, I "enjoy" playing some of the games. I'm not a gamer either, but the games don't seem babyish or anything. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

Dd is newly 13, and very fond of Minecraft. She's played other games, but doesn't care much about them. Mighteor goes into the second category.

They have adaptations of a few other games I've seen her play, including one sort of like Temple Run, and another like dh's old arcade favorite Galaxion. After five weeks or so, dd has unlocked all the games and started to grumble that they need to update.

We make it work because in our routine, it's part of school. She'd rather do Mighteor than math. (Obviously, math comes later.) This week, I've traded her usual job of dealing with dishes for continued Mighteor while she's on Thanksgiving break.

So, no, it doesn't thrill her, but she's willing to work with me and do the routine. She doesn't loathe it.

• Like 1