Menu

AoPS Academy News: Now AP BC Calculus

I got this email a few minutes ago. I wonder if this also applies to the online Calculus course?

Greetings, AoPS Academy families!

We are very pleased to announce that our Calculus course has been approved as an AP Calculus BC course! This is an official recognition by The College Board that our Calculus course meets or exceeds the expectations colleges and universities have for this subject, and grants students permission to use the "AP" designation for our Calculus course if it's listed on their transcript.

However, do note that AP exam preparation still won't be the primary focus of our Calculus course. Students planning to take the AP Calculus BC exam after completing our course will also need to arrange to take it at their school or another nearby school – you can learn more about how to register for AP exams on the College Board's website.

If you'd like to find out how to enroll your student in the course, or if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to email us at info-sandiego-cv@aopsacademy.org.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jim Conant, Campus Director

AoPS Academy San Diego, Carmel Valley

I got this email a few minutes ago. I wonder if this also applies to the online Calculus course?

Their online Calculus course was AP approved in April 2017. I received an email from them after it was approved as my kid took the 2016/17 course and it counts as AP approved.

“A course in single-variable calculus. This course covers limits, continuity, derivatives and their applications, definite and indefinite integrals, infinite sequences and series, plane curves, polar coordinates, and basic differential equations. This course is approved by the College Board as an AP Calculus BC class, however, "AP exam preparation" is not the main focus of the course.â€

https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/course/calculus

UC is still the picky one so we are using the AP exam score for credit if applying to UC.

“Note: These courses are “a-g†approved for schools and districts to adopt onto their “a-g†approved courses lists and to teach at their local school sites. These courses are not "a-g" approved for individual students to directly enroll in or to complete through this online publisher. For more information regarding courses provided by online publishers, please visit the UC A-G Guide webpage for online publishers, and/or contact the online publisher directly.â€

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist#/list/details/4757/

• Like 1

I wonder if the UCs will treat the AoPS Academy course differently because it is an in-person class?

I can’t find AoPS Academy under UC Doorways. https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist#/list/search/institution

You could email the San Diego director and ask. Younger boy is looking at engineering schools so he would be taking the AP exam anyway regardless of which calculus class he end up taking next year. UCLA doesn’t impress him either and we were staying at Luskin, no colleges impress him so far :P

• Like 1

If you take an AP exam and have a score for it, then you don't really need a UC approved class. The exam score is all you need. It's sort of a moot point.

It is a moot point for my kids but for kids taking the AoPS calculus class in 10th or 11th grade, a UC approved AP class helps the weighted GPA.

Do you local high schools give extra credit for honors classes or AP only?

My district follows this exactly so UC approved honors and AP classes are weighted. http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/calculating-gpa/index.html#5

“How does UC calculate the GPA of a high school applicant who is a California resident?

In calculating the GPA for admission consideration, UC uses all UC-approved “a-g†courses a student took between the summer before 10th grade through the summer following 11th grade. Additionally, UC will grant up to eight semesters (with no more than four semesters coming from 10th grade) of honors weight for grades of C or better in AP, IB, UC-approved Honors Level, and transferable college courses. “

• Like 1

My district follows this exactly so UC approved honors and AP classes are weighted. http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/calculating-gpa/index.html#5

“How does UC calculate the GPA of a high school applicant who is a California resident?

In calculating the GPA for admission consideration, UC uses all UC-approved “a-g†courses a student took between the summer before 10th grade through the summer following 11th grade. Additionally, UC will grant up to eight semesters (with no more than four semesters coming from 10th grade) of honors weight for grades of C or better in AP, IB, UC-approved Honors Level, and transferable college courses. “

Wow, and given how much weight UCs put on GPA, it really puts a kid at a disadvantage to do a home brewed challenging course (even with say a good SAT subject score) as opposed to even a lesser quality CC one. I have to start thinking through this one.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the UC application lets the student select rigor for each individual course from a drop down menu that includes honors and AP.

If you go through a charter, there is an option to select courses from their list of what the charter offers OR to type in your own name for a course. So it is possible to type in your own name for a course and then label it honors; having, of course, a strong course description to append or at least have available if they ask to verify.

My older kiddo is still in Junior high, so this is hypothetical for me, but I am hoping this option will be available to him.