Menu

What form of Elderberry is best?

mommyoffive

I am new to Elderberry, so my advice probably isn't worth much -- LOL.  But...I took liquid Sambucol brand when I had a sore throat.  It worked for me and now I'm a believer.  My boys are taking the same brand in gummies at the moment to prevent sickness.  I am going to try making my own after Christmas -- the store bought brands are expensive.

Excuse my ignorance here, but how, exactly would you make elderberry syrup? I tried it for the first time when I got sick about 6 weeks and am sold on it's healing properties. I am planning on getting an Instant Pot on Black Friday and would love to make Elderberry syrup once I figure things out. Also, how/how long do you store it?

Excuse my ignorance here, but how, exactly would you make elderberry syrup? I tried it for the first time when I got sick about 6 weeks and am sold on it's healing properties. I am planning on getting an Instant Pot on Black Friday and would love to make Elderberry syrup once I figure things out. Also, how/how long do you store it?

I use the recipes here:http://deeprootsathome.com/its-elderberry-time-making-cough-syrup-and-tincture/

The tincture will last for many months. The syrup need to be kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for a couple of months.

Thank you ladies.  I am ordering berries to make some syrup.   

It is just the seeds that you don't want to get into the stuff at all right?   

Does anyone grow their own berries? 

Make sure to get local honey. I made a batch once with store-bought and it got moldy. :/ Local increases the cost a bit but it is still loads better than the $15 bottle of Sambucol I bought once.

This is the recipe that I use.  I don't use the instant pot because I don't think it would save time.  The best part of it is concentrating it.  Since I do put it into the jars warm, I've had it last a few months in the fridge without any mold issues.  I might freeze part of my next batch in ice cube trays to pull out only what I need.  

ETA: forgot the link

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

I just bought 7 more bottles of elderberry syrup at Aldi in Belgium for 2€ each! I'm saving the bottles and will make a batch when I've used this up. I've been taking it daily for a week, since I started to have a sore throat. I obviously don't have a control to compare it to, but this sore throats has stayed mostly mild. I'm sure it's an adenovirus. Today is day 8, so I can't claim it has shortened my illness, but I have been mostly functional.

I just bought 7 more bottles of elderberry syrup at Aldi in Belgium for 2€ each! I'm saving the bottles and will make a batch when I've used this up. I've been taking it daily for a week, since I started to have a sore throat. I obviously don't have a control to compare it to, but this sore throats has stayed mostly mild. I'm sure it's an adenovirus. Today is day 8, so I can't claim it has shortened my illness, but I have been mostly functional.

Hmmm

Maybe I need to go look at Aldi.  

Anyone in the states see it at Aldi?

Hmmm

Maybe I need to go look at Aldi.

Anyone in the states see it at Aldi?

It was in the section for seasonal items. Brand name is Vitalis. In French it is called Sirop de Sureau.

I went to the pharmacy today and they recommend thyme tablets. The other ingredients are eucalyptus and vitamin C. It tastes like toothpaste, orange juice, and chicken seasoning! The elderberry syrup is much yummier.

• 2 weeks later...