Menu

Just wanted to cry in OT today

Half life on the meds is really short. You may find yourself wanting an XR version. 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 

**I had a doctors appointment this morning and she was crazy by the time I got home - dh stayed home and I left before she woke up. I gave her some meds and she's now quietly playing with her playdo. I was obviously blind to how needed this was. 

• Like 1

Just chiming in with more well wishes and encouragement to stick out ironing out dosages. They do tend to like to start low and go slow. Some meds also tend to hit some symptoms "better" than others, and that might be something they consider as they up the dosages and pick an XR version. The symptoms might be more anecdotal, but we have noticed, for instance, that Concerta seems to really help specifically with impulsivity. 

I am glad you are seeing some results! 

Just chiming in with more well wishes and encouragement to stick out ironing out dosages. They do tend to like to start low and go slow. Some meds also tend to hit some symptoms "better" than others, and that might be something they consider as they up the dosages and pick an XR version. The symptoms might be more anecdotal, but we have noticed, for instance, that Concerta seems to really help specifically with impulsivity. 

I am glad you are seeing some results! 

Yeah I do appreciate the low and slow approach with this. I think Dh's fear was a no personality, drooling zombie. 

I'm just uncertain on when to say "Hey, this dose isn't working. Can we up it?" It's definitely working, but just in smaller spurts, ya know? 

Yeah I do appreciate the low and slow approach with this. I think Dh's fear was a no personality, drooling zombie. 

I'm just uncertain on when to say "Hey, this dose isn't working. Can we up it?" It's definitely working, but just in smaller spurts, ya know? 

I think just describing the before and after and then quantifying it with how long the meds last is probably good. Many docs will work over the phone and let you drop by for an updated script if they know it's working and needs an adjustment--it's usually expected during those early phases.

• Like 1

BTW, my kids have never been drooling zombies on the meds, lol! One gets a little "flat," but that is where the ADHD was hiding ASD traits. And he's not "flat" in an unanimated sense. He's still full of beans, as they say. :-) 

I also think it's okay to say, "This is way more helpful than we thought it would, not as scary as we thought it would be, but it's also not lasting long. Could we up the dose because we're liking the results and want great consistency?"

• Like 3

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 

**I had a doctors appointment this morning and she was crazy by the time I got home - dh stayed home and I left before she woke up. I gave her some meds and she's now quietly playing with her playdo. I was obviously blind to how needed this was. 

Oh dear!! Not blind. I think it says we like them either way. 

• Like 2

Yeah, you'll need to talk it through. Sometimes the insurance will squack about filling something if they've already filled a 30 day. But if the dose is different, they might not. You could call the pharmacy and ask them to look up what your insurance will do. It might be oh fine because it's a higher scrip, whatever. Our insurance complained, but I think many people's doesn't.

Btw, even though it sounds nice, I'm not sure there's data saying they need to start uber low like that. I thought I was told they could go right up to a normal dose. Not an unusual dose, but like a normal, many people would end up here, kinda dose. Which goes back to that question of whether your ped is being timid because of bias. It's just things you can search out for yourself. Literally our starter dose was one we stayed at for a year, totally acceptable, and then we bumped up just because higher demands needed more. But I wouldn't let them screw around and hold your dose low unnecessarily, kwim? Get it up where it needs to be or find a new doc. Tiger Mom and all that.

Edited by PeterPan