Menu

Do we have too many outside activities this term?

51 members have voted

1. 1. Too much?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.

Didn't vote, but if it works for you, that's great! Some families "homeschool" out of the home, the majority of learning is not at home. Other families don't have any extracurricular and all their homeschooling is literally done at home.

Our schedule looks crazy to some of our friends, but it works for us and we thoroughly enjoy all the things we do and still have dinner together every night.

I would lose my mind with that schedule. So would my toddler. We did 2 activities for the month of June last summer (jiu jitsu 2x/week and running club 2-3x/week, all late afternoon or eve) and it was waaay too much for me.

My personal opinion is that that's too much for most kids. They need downtime way more than endless structured activities. But if yours truly like all their activities, have some downtime, get their schoolwork done and get enough sleep and are generally not stressed...and YOU don't mind the schedule, get done what you need to and have some time for you and are generally unstressed, and you all have some family time too, then I guess it works for you guys.

No. We are doing nothing. None of us were having fun at soccer this fall and I vowed to do no sports until the kids were a bit older. I'm thinking until past 2nd grade we will do not team anything as I think our time will be spent best as a family just playing and enjoying each other while everyone is small.

A few years ago I read an article by an Olympic athlete about kids sports.  She didn't think kids before about grade 2 or 3 could really get much out of team sports, because they could't conceptualize strategy.  The games were more for the parents as far as she was concerned.

She felt that before that age, they should do more individual activities like gymnastics, or do sports skills.  

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

A few years ago I read an article by an Olympic athlete about kids supports. She didn't think kids before about grade 2 or 3 could really get much out of team sports, because they could't conceptualize strategy. The games were more for the parents as far as she was concerned.

She felt that before that age, they should do more individual activities like gymnastics, or do sports skills.

That's very interesting! I was all about getting the kids involved in a bunch of stuff. I barely did anything growing up (my choice) and it seemed my kids might be a tad more outgoing than I was so I wanted to try. It was so frustrating to see then not enjoying themselves. I watched all the other kids too and they were all whining and miserable and bored with the exception of maybe 1 kid. It just made me wonder if athletics and other activities would be. the same as education. I know many believe kids aren't ready for tons of academics until 8, why not everything else? So, until ds is 8 we are just playing and letting them be kids. Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

That's very interesting! I was all about getting the kids involved in a bunch of stuff. I barely did anything growing up (my choice) and it seemed my kids might be a tad more outgoing than I was so I wanted to try. It was so frustrating to see then not enjoying themselves. I watched all the other kids too and they were all whining and miserable and bored with the exception of maybe 1 kid. It just made me wonder if athletics and other activities would be. the same as education. I know many believe kids aren't ready for tons of academics until 8, why not everything else? So, until ds is 8 we are just playing and letting them be kids.

Yeah, I think there can be good reasons to do stuff at that age - just to get out of the house or get mom out, sometimes!  But it isn't really important for learning to play a sport.

Things we had good luck with at that age were gymnastics, and ballet/creative movement. The kids liked the movement and climbing.  And some kids do really well with swimming, though my kids did not as they are all skinny and get cold.  

I was thinking about this thread again.

This term we have TKD (2 nights). Cricket (1 night). And church. That's all. I feel crazy.

I'm in awe of you all who do so much more.

I will say the night timeslots makes it harder. If there was more stuff in the day I might be able to manage more.