Menu

Chromebook for online classes?

We're going to need another computer or two in our home to accommodate online classes. I'm trying to figure out if a Chromebook would work well. Do any of you have any good or bad experiences to share with going that direction? 

I'm not enough of a computer guru to see all the benefits/problems with the different operating systems; any help ya'll have to offer is most welcome!

It really depends on your online classes. Some require you to download software, and that will not work on a chromebook. But if the class is run just through a browser, it will work. For example, AOPS classes and Brave Writer classes require nothing besides a browser.

• Like 1

One Chromebook feature I like is the ability to set up a user account that only permits access to whitelisted sites. For some kids, at some times, it’s nice to be able to limit distractions.

This has worked fine for us for Bravewriter, WTM, and AP Lang through PAH. Sometimes they’ll need to click through to other sites to complete assignments; in that case I just let them on my own, less restricted user account.

• Like 1

Zoom and Gatherplace are the platforms that ds has used for classes in the past. At the time no chrome extensions were available, so he had to use a different computer. But I looked them up just now and both now seem to offer a chrome extension. So maybe it isn't as much of an issue anymore. That's good news!

• Like 1

I posted a link in another thread, possibly 4 to 6 weeks ago, to an article comparing what one can do with a very low-end Windows Laptop, and with a Chromebook. The low-end Windows Laptop is far more capable.  IMO the best feature of the Chromebooks is the number of hours they can operate on their batteries. And they boot quickly. They are less complicated, but also less capable. 

If a Chromebook does what you need to do, perfectly, then I would go with a Chromebook, but, if in the future you might need additional capability, I would go with a very low-end Windows Laptop.

• Like 2

Suggestion:

Purchase a used computer from a reputable outfit and re-load it with Linux Ubuntu (free)

https://www.ubuntu.com/ 

DS got a 4 year Lenovo laptop and it works great with Ubuntu for just about everything.

You can install the Chrome Browser so that would be similar to a Chromebook.

===========

Curiously the Chromebook and iPad are getting the B&M school business.

example product

http://www.hmhco.com/media-center/press-releases/2014/june/hmh-player

Chromebooks do not support Skype video calls, at least not without some sort of workaround.  Otherwise I love my CB.  It's cheap, and since I use google Drive to store all my docs anyway, it's all I need 95% of the time.  (I don't skype much.)  But check the tech requirements of your class.