Menu

Athena's registration is open for Spring.

Dmmetler

I have had a fun time getting to moderate the class. Not that they've needed much moderation :). And DD is in heaven-she gets to talk herps for an hour a week with enthusiastic kids :).

The site says it's intended for HG/PG kids.  In your experience, how important is that level of giftedness?  DS#3 is HG+ but not yet interested in online classes.  DS#1 is interested, especially in the herp class, but maybe not HG... probably just G.  

I have had a fun time getting to moderate the class. Not that they've needed much moderation :). And DD is in heaven-she gets to talk herps for an hour a week with enthusiastic kids :).

How does this work with junior instructors? DD is in the Marine Mammals class now, and it has Dr. Kirsten sitting in to moderate. I’m just curious! :)

In general, if a child is interested in the topic, can handle the readings (and reading level for Athena's classes tends to be an underestimate if anything) , and is comfortable writing and speaking in real time, they can probably handle it, provided they're OK with potentially having much younger children present and that the assignments may skew in a direction that is more appropriate for younger kids.

Junior Instructors have to have a parent willing to moderate (Emma is Kirsten's daughter), and moderators go through the training on how to use the platform and run the class with the kids (although in DD's case, she was so familiar with the system already that it was more like DD trained me and Kirsten sat in!). My job is basically to step in if things start to go afield and redirect, and to keep up with the chat window, because often kids are asking questions in chat that DD may not see while she's either talking to herself, or listening to someone live). It's a lot to keep up with. In many ways, I think it's harder than teaching in a classroom, and I'm kind of in awe of the professors who do it all themselves. DD spent quite a bit of time working with Kirsten last Spring and Summer to get the content ready and know what to do. She's led quite a few live classes and groups locally, but this was a different ballgame. It's been an awesome experience for her (and me), and hopefully for the kids in the class as well.

• Like 2