Menu

Planning for 2018-2019 ;)

The planning is my favorite part. We outsource most classes so fitting together the puzzle from all the options is very gratifying to me. I have played "advisor" to my college kid for Spring 2018, and registered my 12th grader for de for the spring. So now I wait to be able to plan for my high schooler. If I mentioned to anyone in real life that I am already thinking through the options and will be anxious to see what is available for next year they would think I was that crazy academically driven homeschool lady.

But, I suspect there are others like me. Anyone here admit to looking forward to February when the online schools start putting out their course offerings? I can't be the only one. Or do I really have a problem?

• Like 6

I usually enjoy the planning, but I'm mired in college and honors program apps right now!

Not that I don't have ideas swirling for dd right now (and slightly sad not to be planning anything for ds for the first time since 2004 when we did Sonlight pre-k--snifff)

I don't know if the outsource money will be there and actually it probably won't be--but I hope to squeeze in online French 2 as reaching FL is a drag for me.

• Like 3

Next year will be (tentatively) my first highschool year. I started planning 2 months ago actually. I'm not some "crazy academic hs'er", not by the standards of this board anyway. I don't think we'll be doing outsourcing anything. We're using a few programs this year that I'm thinking we'll continue with next year but we'll see if my opinion changes as the year goes on.

• Like 1

I just make tentative plans and backup plans. Last year I had everything perfectly organized based on the current year's class schedules. Then schedules were released and every school we were using changed the classes offered and/or meeting times, so I had to start over. Unfortunately everything wasn't as neat and tidy after the changes...

It's good to be somewhat prepared because some classes fill quickly, but it's difficult when the providers announce schedules at varying times.

• Like 3

I just make tentative plans and backup plans. Last year I had everything perfectly organized based on the current year's class schedules. Then schedules were released and every school we were using changed the classes offered and/or meeting times, so I had to start over. Unfortunately everything wasn't as neat and tidy after the changes...

It's good to be somewhat prepared because some classes fill quickly, but it's difficult when the providers announce schedules at varying times.

yes- I like to be ready to go and know what I want to register for as soon as registration opens. Because that is just how I roll :)

• Like 3

Not there yet, but I will be come February. I've stalked the online provider schedules every February-March for the last couple of years.

I admit to currently stalking the summer program schedules & applications for dd#1 (math & foreign language camps).  :leaving:

The biggest thing will be the local college schedule & how she does this spring if I get her into a class. Everything will revolve around that.

• Like 1

Next year, I'll be down to one. We have a new co-op in town that I hope makes it and we are thinking of becoming involved with but right now we're waiting to see if they'll be offering Japanese for the spring semester this academic year. 

Only thing I know we need to do for sure next year is American lit & history. 

I enjoy the planning phase too! In some ways I like it better than the execution because there are less variables. I have one going to public school in Jan, one possibly going to high school next fall and two more that want to homeschool. So, this year I just don't even know which way to turn. Not quit as fun! Lol,

• Like 1

Ok, since you brought it up. What classes & providers will you be looking at/for?

I'm on the lookout for a Spanish 5 (maybe AP, maybe not) class, preferably secular.

If the time/day work, Calc @ WHA.

German 2 @ CLRC if the time/date work.

Not sure what else, yet, if anything.

• Like 1

I think we will use just WTMA and Memoria Press unless something doesn't work out or something else wonderful comes across my radar. I really won't be looking for anything hard to find.

The one we area absolutely planning on and will work around is WTMA AOPS Geometry.

Also planning on :

WTMA Rhetoric 1

Chemistry (WTMA or MP)

Gov/Econ (WTMA or MP)

Literature (Either WTMA Lit of New World or MP Novel)

We'll add a couple other classes depending on how things work out schedule wise and what our co-op offers. Ds has pretty much outgrown the co-op academically but enjoys it. If something reasonable for him is offered he will likely go but it does make scheduling everything else more difficult.

We are waiting until 11th grade to do Spanish through de. Not sure what else we will add. He is a good student and works quickly and does not have intensive extra curriculars so he really has time to do more. He would like the WTMA History and Philosophy of Science course, I think, or some kind of Earth Science/ Geology elective. He's in good shape. There is really nothing to worry about, as far as planning. I just enjoy getting things lined up and checking boxes.

I am going to put my dd who will be in 5th grade in a class or two also. But that's a post for another board :)

• Like 2

I have been making tentative plans, mostly because I like to spread out costs and will start buying things in earnest in January.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Ds13 being a freshman next year, though. He hasn't tipped the scale at 85 pounds yet. How can he possibly be approaching high school?

• Like 1

In November? Not me. I am in the thick of this yr. I don't even want to think about next yr yet.

Fwiw, I am currently in that reflective state where 5 of my kids are now adults. I have realized that I don't want to worry about tomorrow as much as I want to enjoy today. I am savoring the days of my last 3 babies at home. Thinking about next yr in November is simply moving forward to my next one moving toward adulthood. No hurry. I'm just going to immerse myself in this yr. When I need to pay attention, I will, and then I will quickly retreat back to this yr.

• Like 6

He is interested in Mandarin. It isn't available locally. Does anyone know of an online provider?

Big River Academy has it in their course descriptions - but with a note that they aren't offering it this year (2017-2018). BRA was started by a former Landry teacher, so it is pretty new. The prices are right. They might not have had enough kids sign up for those classes this year.

CLRC also has Mandarin 1! It looks like it will only start to be offered in the spring of 2018.

• Like 1

He is interested in Mandarin. It isn't available locally. Does anyone know of an online provider?

CTY’s mandarin course is good but expensive. (ETA: DS12 did that over summer last year) For us a local tutor is cheaper since my husband and I can help but our kids work harder for a tutor. Stanford Online High School has Chinese I but is relatively expensive.

https://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/world_languages/chinese_basic_CH11.html

https://ohs.stanford.edu/academics/courses/chinese-1

ETA:

You can find the textbook CLRC use and Big River Academy use on high school websites in PDF. Half Price Bookstore has both titles.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Big River Academy has it in their course descriptions - but with a note that they aren't offering it this year (2017-2018). BRA was started by a former Landry teacher, so it is pretty new. The prices are right. They might not have had enough kids sign up for those classes this year.

CLRC also has Mandarin 1! It looks like it will only start to be offered in the spring of 2018.

Thank you!

Not there yet, but I will be come February. I've stalked the online provider schedules every February-March for the last couple of years.

I admit to currently stalking the summer program schedules & applications for dd#1 (math & foreign language camps). :leaving:

The biggest thing will be the local college schedule & how she does this spring if I get her into a class. Everything will revolve around that.

We were last minute with the language camps this past summer; i don't think they fill up ;)

No camps for us this next summerðŸ‘

The local colleges (!!) schedules are big here too because one of them doesn't announce until quite late and another announces very early but unmatriculated student registration forms aren't processed until a week before classes start. It's good to have an email into the prof because 1. Classes fill up and a waiver by a prof is all that's needed here, 2. Even for classes where he meets the prerequisites, there has been some sort of registration hold to overcome (I suspect because class description says "not a freshman" and unmatriculated students are perhaps automatically considered so? An email to the prof to log in and remove hold does the trick when they already know.

Edited by madteaparty

CTY’s mandarin course is good but expensive. (ETA: DS12 did that over summer last year) For us a local tutor is cheaper since my husband and I can help but our kids work harder for a tutor. Stanford Online High School has Chinese I but is relatively expensive.

https://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/world_languages/chinese_basic_CH11.html

https://ohs.stanford.edu/academics/courses/chinese-1

ETA:

You can find the textbook CLRC use and Big River Academy use on high school websites in PDF. Half Price Bookstore has both titles.

Thank you, too.

If I were going to decide for DS13 today, it would look something like this. It is language heavy for sure, but I guess that isn't bad.

Jacobs Geometry

TOG Year 4 R level for Government, Church History and Philosophy; D/R level combination for lit and history

Mandarin or Greek, possibly both

Spanish I

Traditional Logic I

Apologia Biology

I'd love an Alg 2 class that's live and not too easy, not AOPS hard...

German 3 class that fits our schedule.

I will be looking for info on some of the AP English classes that are not taught by Maya Inspector since those are well and thoroughly reviewed and also because I prefer other's reading lists.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

We're actually on Week 20 of our school year, so I've already started planning.  We also finished a couple of our "courses" already.  Last week, we stopped school for the holidays.  We're going to take a break and then start back up again in January.

We usually do interest-led learning, but dh and the teens have convinced me that it might be easier on me to use curriculum (they use this excuse when they want to order take-out, too).

11th grader and 10th grader combined:

Biblioplan Early Modern History or TWTM History/Literature (can't decide)

New Oxford Guide to Writing/Rulebook for Arguments 

continue with German (Ugh!)

PE (which, strangely, has been an enormous hit this year)

11th grader on own:

Mr. Q Chemistry + one of the super expensive intro to chemistry kits from HST

continue Visual Latin/Lingua Latina

Saxon Advanced Mathematics

Rosetta Stone Hebrew (yeah, she just asked to do this for fun  :001_rolleyes:  ) + something to learn reading/writing (not sure yet)

Probably need to start thinking about the ACT

10th grader on own:

Guesthollow Biology

Intro to Robotics - going to use Lego Mindstorms + some of the project books you work through

MUS Geometry

One thing I realized this year is that I'm never going to schedule their electives ever again.  I'm just going to schedule what I require of them and they can schedule their own darn electives!  We ended up with 10 bazillion different "courses" this year and then I had to keep repackaging them under different names, because I over scheduled...and then they ended up doing stuff like designing/building their own computer and taking a high school forensic science class at the last minute.   :glare:  No more!  I'm keeping it simple. 

• Like 1

I have been making tentative plans, mostly because I like to spread out costs and will start buying things in earnest in January.

Yes, it is a big help with costs to spread it out, especially for programs that are tried and true favorites and we will be continuing. It seems Black Friday curriculum sales keep getting bigger and bigger. 

I work on planning in spurts when I get in the mood and then put it away until the mood strikes again.

• Like 4

Yes, it is a big help with costs to spread it out, especially for programs that are tried and true favorites and we will be continuing. It seems Black Friday curriculum sales keep getting bigger and bigger.

I work on planning in spurts when I get in the mood and then put it away until the mood strikes again.

While not Black Friday sales, early registration discounts for online classes can be significant so it helps to know what I am doing and how I will pay for it early. However, I am still a few months early even for that. Lol.

• Like 2

I'll officially doing high school (9th) for the first time next year, but she's really doing 3 high school level courses this year. I am likely going to try to convince her to try taking Brave Writer writing classes in the spring which will be her first attempt at online classes. She's resistant.

For sure, we will be doing:

- Geometry with Derek Owens (we're having a great AoPS algebra year but I think it's our last AoPS year)

- Spanish 2 (with me using Santillana Española and customized Spanish Homeschool Academy for additional conversational practice and heritage culture)

- Latin American history (which I'm designing and need to really get into soon)

Likely:

- Environmental Science using Oak Meadow

- Oak Meadow Health

- Oak Meadow Geography

Unknown:

- English lit and writing

• Like 2

I love to plan and schedule everything out, but I won't really start thinking about next year until January. Right now, I'm busy finishing off college apps, and then my focus is going to shift to additional college visits for my ds and summer programs for my dd. Some of the summer applications have already opened.

• Like 1

My son will be an 11th grader. Of what I know:

World Lit - Big River Academy with Wendi Reed (using EIL)

Ancient History - BRA (using History of the Ancient World book)

Latin II - BRA

Traditional Logic II - Memoria Press (fall sem.)

Science and 1 or 2 electives at a local Charter School or homeschool co-op, his choice.

Math - Tabletclass

That's what I have so far. That may be it, now that I look at it. I have a condition - syringomyelia - that is causing me more and more chronic pain. Each day is different, so I must outsource now.😔

He may begin World Geo using Monarch over an 18 month period. We weren't able to finish it last year (9th) due to family problems, so he'll finish it slowly. That and GA History. As long as he's finished with them by the end of 12th grade. 😒

The last half of last year fell into the abyss.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

I love the planning.  I was going to write that I start thinking ahead as soon as we start in September, but my wheels are always turning!

I'll have 11th and 10th graders next year.  I teach in one co-op and co-direct another, so I'm currently working on my class proposals with my personal needs in mind, lol.

All I know right now is that both girls will probably take a DE environmental science course over the summer, and my 11th grader will be working on her EMT.  She wants to try a regular semester DE course, but we have to wait to see when the EMT will be offered through our emergency services department and how that lines up with the cc semester schedule/course offerings.

. . . And I just saw that Justin posted that the not-perfect Well Trained Mind Press (I still want to type PHP) books from the warehouse are on sale at 60% off, so I'm going to have to look to see what I am using next year. Awesome sale (60% off). 

• Like 1

Did wants to go to B&M high school next year... I told her to do her research first. If not, I do know what she'll be doing because much of it we already own, is the next book Ina series, or is a continuation of this year. I always sort of plan a year out in language arts because I use a mix of resources and kind of need to know where we are headed.

I like to plan as well, and it usually works out for me.  Except once:

I was ordering all my science materials using charter school money at the start of the school year.  I just thumbed through all the BFSU lessons, looking at the materials lists and typing up my order.  When it started arriving I dutifully stored it away in the closet, and I would remove them, lesson by lesson.  Until months later I finally got to the lesson that required the...freshwater Elodea plant.  Sadly, it languished and died while waiting patiently in the closet.  I guess it is possible to plan too far ahead.  

• Like 3

I’m only semi thinking about next year, which will be eleventh grade for my oldest.

She will likely continue with Homeschool Spanish Academy. Spanish is her favorite class, and she has a teacher with HSA whom she adores. They stuck her in Spanish 1 because she didn’t do as well on the placement test as she’d have liked, but she’s flying through it and making an easy A. She should finish all or most of Spanish 2 this year and should get to Spanish 3 for next year.

I am thinking US history for next year. I have Pandia’s American curriculum, but I also may have her do USH as a college class. I want to outsource more things for her next year, for sheer lack of time on my part, but I’m not sure what yet. USH because it would be a good starter college course? English to relieve the burden on me for reading? Science so I don’t have to do it because it’s not my strong point, although when it’s modtly math-based, I do fine? Probably I’ll teach her math, but I have no idea what book. She’ll likely be doing trig/precalc. (When did I get old enough for that??)

• Like 2

I'm always thinking ahead! We are part of a co-op that only meets every other week, but it does direct at least 2 of ds' subjects. This year it's science and literature/composition. 

I'm already researching a potential science class that I might teach next year because we have our high school planning meeting in February. I want to be prepared to offer it if I can find a way to make it work in our situation. 

I think I would like to outsource something else, but I don't know what that would be until we have our co-op classes figured out. 

• Like 1

I'll start preparing for DD's freshman year as soon as I finish planning Ds17's winter semester! I'm going to be busy this spring/summer with Ds17's college applications, so getting DD squared away by March/April will hopefully keep things manageable. The key word being "hopefully"!

Edited by ccolopy
  • Like 1

I'm sort of planning, just keeping some classes at the back of my mind to mull over in my sleep.

Lukeion Writing and Research class versus Integritas Writing versus CLRC GC versus WHA GC if there is a strong writing component

Chemistry with Diacentra if she is planning to teach next year

Java script class - anyone know who offers this? DD just learned a little from math circle and would like to continue. I'm not very interested in teaching computer programming or computer science. Alternatively, I was thinking of Edhesive.

Spanish 5 but not AP - DD is in WHA Spanish 4 now. Leaning towards Ray Leven non-AP class which seems to be the next level after an intermediate conversation class.

• Like 1

Ok, this thread ended up making me think.  This is what I think dd (grade 10) will do next year:

TOG year 4 history

Illuminating Literature Characters in Crises or Sonlight 20th century

French 2 through Aim Academy

Guesthollow Biology

Saxon Alg 2

Electives TBD, but probably Music Theory

PE (required)

maybe a light elective through our co-op

extra currics: piano, organ, TKD, hopefully continue with acting, youth group

I figured out next year for my oldest in September, because that's when we decided we'd homeschool high school. Ha been doing virtual school this year and half of last year. It's what we needed while my youngest was a toddler, but I think I'll be ready to teach him again next year in 9th grade. So with the excitement and fear of starting high school, I researched and researched and have pretty much decided on everything (posted in the s/o thread). Might be some changes, but hopefully not too many.

Haven't thought much about next year for my younger kids. I'm still making changes for them this year. Changed up my 3rd grader's math and science this week and added Latin (which muy phone keeps autocorrecting to "pain" 😂) and threw in some phonics lessons for my 5th grader that he's hating, but I told him it's only a month. I changed his science a couple weeks ago. Doing the research for my oldest, I am terrified of high school with my current 5th grader. But I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it. For now, I'm just trying to keep plugging along with basic skills and hope that maturity brings a little less resistance to anything resembling "work".