Menu

Is there a November frugalistas thread yet?

maize

Well, just when I thought we couldn't get much tighter, my dh lost his job today. So surreal. It's like one of those things that only happens to other people. Now I'm not sure what I can or should do for Christmas. Or Thanksgiving since I'm hosting. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, I am so sorry.  BTDT.  It's so hard.  How can we help?

Well, just when I thought we couldn't get much tighter, my dh lost his job today. So surreal. It's like one of those things that only happens to other people. Now I'm not sure what I can or should do for Christmas. Or Thanksgiving since I'm hosting. [emoji15]

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that.

I am so sorry.  

Is it effective immediately? 

Does he get a package? 

Can he get unemployment? 

Can you or he look for seasonal work right away? 

I would get lots of applications in and get to networking. 

Can you sell things around the house to make $

Pick up some online work? 

If you work add extra hours? 

Did you already buy everything for Thanksgiving?  Can you make others bring some dishes to bring down the cost? 

Did you already buy stuff for Christmas?  Can you return it?  If you do presents with extended family this year can you get out of it? 

Can you do something different with the kids this year?  Enjoy the season instead of gifts?  

Edited by mommyoffive

I am so sorry.

Is it effective immediately?

Does he get a package?

Can he get unemployment?

Can you or he look for seasonal work right away?

I would get lots of applications in and get to networking.

Can you sell things around the house to make $

Pick up some online work?

If you work add extra hours?

Did you already buy everything for Thanksgiving? Can you make others bring some dishes to bring down the cost?

Did you already buy stuff for Christmas? Can you return it? If you do presents with extended family this year can you get out of it?

Can you do something different with the kids this year? Enjoy the season instead of gifts?

The job loss was effective immediately, there is some kind of severance package, though I imagine it will be used up by Cobra (we can't NOT have insurance because dh is on a Remicade infusion that costs something like $6,000 a pop.) I assume we're eligible for unemployment.

I do not work, but as a former CPA, now is a good time to look for work as busy season looms close.

Thanksgiving is just the inlaws. They are bringing bread and beverages. I've already got the turkey.

I haven't done any Christmas shopping. I'm sure extended family will not expect anything once they find out. Kids need some stuff. They seem to perceive a lower socioeconomic status than all of the other kids at church and other social things. It hurts. We usually spend around $100 per kid for Christmas and I've recently become aware that that's low. (Not through my kids, through Facebook chatter on the good deals on tablets some local mamas got for $160, and these not being the only gift. These are mamas whose household income is lower middle class like us.) all that to say that I want to stick to past budget on Gifts for kids if possible. Maybe I should see if anyone is getting rid of an old artificial tree so we don't have to buy a tree this year.

I am so sorry.

I have been in similar shoes.  In 2008, the day before Thanksgiving Dh's company had a meeting (all 35 of them) and announced that everyone was going to be laid off or only work 2 days/ week.  Dh was one of those who went to 2 days/ week dropping our income to 40% of what it had been.  At the time our kids were 14, 11, 5 & 3.  Because of where we live that 40% barely covered our mortgage.  We stayed that way for the next 2 years and managed to not lose our house (like so many others did,) not go into credit card debt and purchase a new (to us) car to replace ours when it died. 

We did it by slashing our expenses like crazy people, immediately.  Seeing how little I could spend became my full-time job.   Plenty of people in our situation decided not to tell their kids so as not to worry them.  Many of them decided to go ahead with their Christmas plans reasoning that something would come up in a few months and they'd be able to pay off their Christmas credit card bills and the kids would be none the wiser.   This reasoning led to more and more credit card debt. 

I feel you on the keeping-up-with-the-Jones feelings. No one wants to have their kids feel deprived. I live in a place where people regularly go to Disney several times a year, take ski & snowboarding holidays, go on a cruise every year, and all their kids have passports for trips to Europe, Bali & Tahiti.  It is normal for kids to get high end electronics for Christmas.  That is not us, even now. 

Yes, it can be discouraging but it isn't your reality right now.  My dd (the 5 yo at the time) is a huge foodie and we always played a game where if she behaved in the grocery store she could choose anything she wanted out of the produce department.  One day she wanted kiwis.  I had to tell her that I couldn't buy kiwis because 3 kiwis cost the same as 7 apples and I needed to choose the fruit that fit in my budget and would feed everyone.  She didn't fuss at all, but I went home and cried because what kind of terrible parent can't afford fruit that their child wants? I felt embarrassed and ashamed that we were not providing for her.  That feeling passed though when I looked at the kids and realized that they had all their needs taken care of and they are learning that sometimes wants have to wait.  You might think you are protecting your kids from worry & stress by keeping them out of the loop and continuing to spend as usual, but in reality it is more empowering for you to talk to them in age appropriate ways about the situation, how you plan to handle the situation as a family and how working together as a family will contribute to everyone's well being.  I learned to tell my big kids when they asked about things that others could afford and we can't:

"We don't know what other people earn,"  Because sometimes kids think all grown up jobs are equal.

"We can only control our own budget.  That is not where we choose to spend our money."  Because we spend all of our money on homeschooling (Just kidding)

"Some people are more comfortable with credit card debt than we are."

A blog that really encourages me about living frugally is http://theprudenthomemaker.com/index.php/component/content/?view=featured

Hang in there

Amber in SJ

• Like 4

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I am so sorry; that's hard anytime, but over the holidays, it's double-hard.

Is there still time to contact a church or Salvation Army and put your kids on a local angel tree/Toys for Tots list for Christmas? 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

How is the month going?

Returned a few things   75 bucks back

I have more to return.  I need to do that. 

Although I spent 46 bucks buying cast shirts for the kids yesterday.  I never do that kind of thing, buy the expensive team stuff.  But this is a such a huge deal the show they got in,and one of my kids has a lead role.  

Thinking of sending them to a ballet academy.   So that is $$$$$$$$$$$

Didn't end up grocery shopping a week this month, just ate from the freezer and pantry.   Although yesterday we ate out 2 times and we never eat out.  But is was for a birthday. 

Bought tickets for the trip we are giving the kids for Christmas.   Going back to Europe.  

Thinking about heading to Disney World for the Christmas lights.  

Our November is going well enough. I bought I few things online that I think I'll return but haven't decided.

Just booked another pet sitting gig that'll get me a nice chunk of change. All this November pet sitting is off setting all the Christmas shopping spending nicely.

• Like 1

Wow as looking for Flights to Italy?

Every airport has flights to Milan, Rome, and Venice for 430 or less

Well now just about every city is on sale in Europe for 400 or less

Itally cities

Spain cities

Amsterdam

France cities

Romania

Bucharest

Bulgaria

Dublin

Brussels

Zurich

Munich

Frankfurt

Geneva

Vienna

Prauge

Edited by mommyoffive

(snip)

I have to go through the gift box tonight when all of the kids are at programs so I can see where I stand and what I need to fill in. I think I've spent about $70 total; I'm trying to do it all within $100.  I know I still have FIL to buy for, and I am clueless as to what to get. He's in the early stages of dementia and doesn't have much in the way of hobbies anymore so I'm kind of at a loss.

I finally broke down and asked MIL what she thought - she wants gift cards to restaurants since it gets him out of the house and gives her a break. So, I'll cash in my Swagbucks for a $25 Olive Garden card when December rolls around, and I am done except for a few stocking stuffers still needed. Stockings are my bugaboo every year; I've sometimes spent $50 per stocking. I think kids'll get some food out of the grocery budget - youngest loves Sprite, so I'll get one of the ornament bottles when they come out and candy is always appreciated with all of them. 

I added everything up and I've spent $96, of which $54 was from before I knew we were going to be so tight this Christmas. I also found in the gift area an American Girl dress that I will hold back for youngest's birthday in March. 

In other budgeting news, $130 out of this week's check and I should have enough to pay DH's and DD's tuition (which is due Dec 7). Then, onward to textbook purchases. 

• Like 1

I love advent calendars.  Not just the cardboard, waxy chocolate inside ones, but real open the door or pocket ones.  I have 2 handmade wooden ones from Germany, 2 fabric ones with pockets and two that are a mini stocking banner for a mantle.  I need a lot of candy!  

Today while I was contemplating the $9.99 bags of hershey kisses that I would need two of to fill my calendars, I walked over to the produce section where they keep the mark downs & there was the rest of the Halloween candy marked down to $.50/ bag.  I chose bags where the candy inside didn't look particularly Halloween-ish to fill my advent calendars, a couple more bags to use in holiday treats for teachers & neighbors and even a couple bags for our New Year's Eve movie marathon.  For $5 I got all the candy I will need.

Amber in SJ

• Like 5

I'm very proud of myself right now. 

Over the last few days I've sold $394 of stuff, mostly kids books and toys. 

I used that money to deal with bills that were piling up. Including a property tax bill that was really looming over me {it's now on a payment plan}. 

I did splurge and spend $7 on a doll armoire at Goodwill today - it'll help dd keep her doll stuff neat, and the price was just too good to pass up. Since it was big and I didn't have any other option, it became an early Christmas gift. 

• Like 3

I'm very proud of myself right now. 

Over the last few days I've sold $394 of stuff, mostly kids books and toys. 

I used that money to deal with bills that were piling up. Including a property tax bill that was really looming over me {it's now on a payment plan}. 

I did splurge and spend $7 on a doll armoire at Goodwill today - it'll help dd keep her doll stuff neat, and the price was just too good to pass up. Since it was big and I didn't have any other option, it became an early Christmas gift. 

Wow that is a lot of sales.  Way to go!

Good job using that money smartly.

I don't remember if it was this thread, but I was given the heads up on the huggies deal at Walgreen's. I did it today with pull ups. It took some work LOL. I had to download coupons from sites I don't normally use. I clipped the digital Waglreen's coupon for one product. The manager said it had to be $30 after coupons so I added more items to my cart. Then I got to checkout and the cashier said the ice cream didn't count toward my $30 total because dairy and some stuff was excluded?? What?? In the end I was nervous I woudln't get my 5000 bonus points for reaching the $30 threshold so I ran back and got something else. I guess I had some points already in my account too so when I left I ended up with $10 Walgreens rewards and I'm giving the receipt to dh to get the $10 ibotta rebate. And I tried a new product from Shopkick so I'll scan the Walgreens receipt for the shopkick points, too. 

so anyway thanks and the deal ends tomorrow (at least part of the deal).  

Dad and I were out and about today so I counted the Instant Pots at Kohl's to determine if I thought there would be any left for me on Thursday night or Friday morning. They actually had several so might not run out. But I don't know how good of a deal people think it is. 

I've spent too much money on this trip to visit our parents. My parents don't have a lot in the kitchen so I'm constantly buying food or supplies. Like we are going to celebrate birthdays this week so I bought cupcake liners and some mixes (had coupons for some of the baking stuff) and veg. oil. I borrowed pans from MIL's house. But still. I did find some gherkins in the cupboard I bought last visit so I will have those for my deviled eggs at least lol. Dh gets mad when I stay with my parents because I end up shopping. It's just not the same anymore. Mom isn't able to shop and stock the fridge. Dad doesn't know what I need lol. I'd buy him baking supplies, but he wouldn't want it. I lucked out that some of my grandma's stuff was here, too like cooling racks for the cookies I made tonight. 

Good job doing the deal at Walgreens.  I used to do coupons and stuff, but now it just seems like so much work.   I miss getting things for crazy cheap or free.

Maybe it evens out for all the money you have to spend going to your parents?  

• Like 1

taken from the flight deal

American is putting Europe on sale starting from the $400s from everywhere in the United States. Availability to:

• Netherlands
    • Amsterdam [AMS]
  • France
    • Paris [CDG]
    • Nice [NCE]
    • Bordeaux [bOD]
    • Marseille [MRS]
    • Lyon [LYS]
  • Italy
    • Milan [MXP]
    • Rome [FCO]
    • Venice [VCE]
  • Germany
    • Munich [MUC]
    • Frankfurt [FRA]
    • Berlin [TXL]
  • Switzerland
    • Zurich [ZRH]
    • Geneva [GVA]
  • Poland
    • Warsaw [WAW]
    • Krakow [KRK]
  • Estonia
    • Tallinn [TLL]
  • Lithuania
    • Vilnus [VNO]
  • Latvia
    • Riga [RIX]

This is available from pretty much everywhere in the United States – so check your prefer departure city to see if its available

Pricing will vary slightly depending on routing.

How did the month end for everyone?

Yesterday was a bit up and down. 

I ruined the youngest's winter coat by washing it.   sighhhhhhh

Our violin teachers are letting 2 of the kids use a violin from them.   I can return 2 of the ones we rent saving me 40 some a month.   

Spent 67 getting new dance shoes and tights for the shows starting next week. 

I finished Christmas shopping - $120 for all, but I think I'm going to return $20 of that. Although I realized that I didn't get "santa" gifts - I'm contemplating dropping them this year, kids are 15, 12 & 10 - maybe we'll switch to stockings only? 

DH's birthday was this week; I won a 4-day, 3 night vacation in Hollywood Beach, FL the day before his birthday, so that is his gift!!!!! We will be going sometime next fall. I need to start saving, as the sweepstakes did not include airfare. Hotel, 1 really swanky meal, and spa treatments are included. It will slightly ding us on our taxes this year though. 

Got tuition paid for both DH and DD (yay!), but I need to get DH's books before the 14th, so he can turn in his tuition reimbursement notice - they require the form so many days before the class starts. 

• Like 1

I finished Christmas shopping - $120 for all, but I think I'm going to return $20 of that. Although I realized that I didn't get "santa" gifts - I'm contemplating dropping them this year, kids are 15, 12 & 10 - maybe we'll switch to stockings only? 

DH's birthday was this week; I won a 4-day, 3 night vacation in Hollywood Beach, FL the day before his birthday, so that is his gift!!!!! We will be going sometime next fall. I need to start saving, as the sweepstakes did not include airfare. Hotel, 1 really swanky meal, and spa treatments are included. It will slightly ding us on our taxes this year though. 

Got tuition paid for both DH and DD (yay!), but I need to get DH's books before the 14th, so he can turn in his tuition reimbursement notice - they require the form so many days before the class starts. 

You did awesome on Christmas shopping. 

yay for winning a vacation!

• Like 2

Finished up pretty good here. The sales I've been making on facebook have really helped a lot - I'm hoping those continue this month. 

My next goal is getting $500 in an emergency fund / buffer. 

Sounds good

You have inspired me to start selling our clutter.

I think I sold one thing in Nov.

I just listed a few more.

Do you guys sell on Swap.com?