Menu

Is there a November frugalistas thread yet?

maize

No. There is no frugal in November. It's Christmas shopping season here. But I did stack two savings deals and got $19 off the two pairs of jeans I ordered for dds yesterday. And free shipping. Not as frugal as not spending anything, but that's just not an option this month!

• Like 3

I'm working Christmas on a strict budget this year - DH and DD's tuition bill is due Dec 7.

So far, Christmas purchases:

earrings purchased with free ShopYourWay points - cost me 58 cents

stocking stuffers purchased with $25 Amazon gift card earned at Swagbucks - cost me $1.67

Other savings on spending:

Bought DD a shirt at Target yesterday with a $5 gift card I earned from buying soda for DH last month & used RedCard for a percentage off as well. She needed some since none fit from last year. - ended up costing me $8.52

Spending:

$50 to dentist - 1 child and me - will need another 50-100 dollars paid; waiting for insurance to pay

DH picking up pizza on the way home tonight - 1 was free since I won a sweepstakes (we paid for 1 more)

• Like 2

I'm working Christmas on a strict budget this year - DH and DD's tuition bill is due Dec 7.

So far, Christmas purchases:

earrings purchased with free ShopYourWay points - cost me 58 cents

stocking stuffers purchased with $25 Amazon gift card earned at Swagbucks - cost me $1.67

Other savings on spending:

Bought DD a shirt at Target yesterday with a $5 gift card I earned from buying soda for DH last month & used RedCard for a percentage off as well. She needed some since none fit from last year. - ended up costing me $8.52

Spending:

$50 to dentist - 1 child and me - will need another 50-100 dollars paid; waiting for insurance to pay

DH picking up pizza on the way home tonight - 1 was free since I won a sweepstakes (we paid for 1 more)

You are doing great.   Lots of deals. 

I was thinking I am going to post any deals or coupons I get that I don't need.  I got big ShopYourWay thing a bit back and never used it.   Opps.  Hopefully if I post some I get someone can use it. 

Some good deals I spotted on Hip2save

If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re an Ibotta user, check your email for a possible code valid for $25 off a purchase of $25+ on Shutterfly, valid through December 31st. Note that you will have to pay shipping charges which are dependent on which items you choose.

This email will have a subject line of Ă¢â‚¬Å“Enjoy $25 to shop with ShutterflyĂ¢â‚¬ and will be coming from the email address newsletter@ibotta.com.

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/02/eddie-bauer-40-off-sale-check-your-email-for-free-10-gift-certificate/

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/02/the-childrens-place-puffer-jackets-only-14-99-shipped-regularly-50-more/

Edited by mommyoffive

I"m in for November as well please

ETA: My main focus is on bringing more in vs having less go out. 

My income goals for the month are:

Income / Rebates / Sales : $300 / $41.25

Shopkick : 2500 / 90

Swagbucks: 7500 / 138 {And 300 more pending}. 

Edited by frugalmamatx
  • Like 2

I am trying to build up my gift stash carefully and as inexpensively as possible and that involves keeping a careful list and not forgetting where I put things :)  Maybe if I put them all here I won't forget what I have....

So far:

My grocery store has had decently high end nail polish for $1-$2 in a clearance bin in the back.  All of the colors are new/ current (hello greige)  With three teen/ early 20's daughters these are great for presents because they usually run $5-$8/ bottle.

At the thrift store while I was dropping off some outgrown clothes, I found a new looking Ripstik for $10 for my 12yo ds and a skateboard also for $10.  The skateboard deck is a name brand and in perfect shape.  New it runs about $80.  The rear wheel assembly is a little wonky but dh can fix it and even if he had to replace it it will cost around $20.  Dd has a skateboard on her December birthday list.  I also found a brand new with tags on insulated lunch bag shaped like R2D2 that makes noise. It cost $3.   My kids do standardized testing in the Spring and last year ds had his lunch in the insulated bag stolen by another kid & he was pretty bummed.  What made it worse is with 3 older sisters the remaining choices of lunch bags for the next day were all pretty girly.  

When everyone is home for Christmas there will be 9 of us.  All of us are huge Star Wars fans and want to go see the new movie together, so as a family gift Dh & I pre-purchased everyone a ticket to cheap Tuesday, Dec 26th for $6.50/ ticket rather than the usual price of $12.50 for an evening ticket.  

My brother alerted me to a sale at Belk on Star Wars t-shirts.  They were buy one get two free, so everyone is getting a $6 Star Wars t-shirt with their movie ticket.

I have scheduled everyone who has been away at college & has not seen the dentist this year for an appointment when they are home for Christmas break to take advantage of expiring insurance benefits before the end of the year.  I am sure they will appreciate that, right?

Our biggest frugal "fail" so far this month (is it really only the 2nd?)  is we bought a car.  Surprise!  Our daughter has been driving a 25 year old Camry that is on its last legs.  In the past 2 months Dh has replaced the timing belt, most of the electrical system, the alternator, the battery, and the oil pump.  It has stranded her once at 2am on the way home from work, once at 8:30pm on the freeway while driving her sister home from ballet while dh & I were out of state, and on the side of highway 17 while on her way to the beach.  Thank goodness for AAA.  It seems like things are breaking faster than Dh can fix them.  Anyway, we were talking to an older woman we know who just retired and is looking at a new car to replace her 2005 Mercedes.  She was indignant that the dealer wanted to give her $500 on the trade-in.  I told her to keep us in mind because we are looking for a more reliable car for our dd.  Dh & I went over the budget, I told him I could work with 1/4 of my usual grocery budget and we would eat out of the pantry & freezer, put off a homeschool purchase I had planned for this month, and we could use a few odds & ends from other sources and offer her $1000.  Dh is picking it up tonight.  We will put the Camry on Craigslist and see what happens.  Our dd will be driving the newest & nicest vehicle we own.  It has never lived outside of the garage and has had all the service done at the dealer.

After that purchase we need to be on lock down mode for the month.  Maybe if I tell the kids it is No-Spend November it will sound more like a game than Mom & Dad worrying about paying property taxes next month.  The cheapest thing to bring to Thanksgiving are the potatoes, so I volunteered for that early.  That way I can make them inexpensively & in accordance with our food allergies.  I am also going to revive my sourdough and start baking our bread.  Sure beats $4-$5/ loaf at the store.

Dh & Ds are going on a Boy Scout canoe trip next weekend and need wetsuits.  I already put the word out that we need to borrow and I think we located one for each of them.  Because we live in an affluent area with a high COL, some people actually responded to my facebook post that they didn't understand why I didn't just go buy what they needed.  I figure it is smarter to borrow for the 12yo anyway because he might not need it again until May-June and who knows if it would fit him by then.  

I hope everyone can stay within their budget & get what they need this month.

Amber in SJ

• Like 7

Well I've got the budget for Christmas gifts figured out. I have 5 more people, not including dh and the kids, to shop for and I'm setting $100 aside for that.

I can't set the budget for the immediate family without talking to dh and I'm currently pet sitting overnight for the next few days. I've been buying things for the kids throughout the year so rounding it all out and finishing it won't be too bad this month

I am trying to build up my gift stash carefully and as inexpensively as possible and that involves keeping a careful list and not forgetting where I put things :)  Maybe if I put them all here I won't forget what I have....

So far:

My grocery store has had decently high end nail polish for $1-$2 in a clearance bin in the back.  All of the colors are new/ current (hello greige)  With three teen/ early 20's daughters these are great for presents because they usually run $5-$8/ bottle.

At the thrift store while I was dropping off some outgrown clothes, I found a new looking Ripstik for $10 for my 12yo ds and a skateboard also for $10.  The skateboard deck is a name brand and in perfect shape.  New it runs about $80.  The rear wheel assembly is a little wonky but dh can fix it and even if he had to replace it it will cost around $20.  Dd has a skateboard on her December birthday list.  I also found a brand new with tags on insulated lunch bag shaped like R2D2 that makes noise. It cost $3.   My kids do standardized testing in the Spring and last year ds had his lunch in the insulated bag stolen by another kid & he was pretty bummed.  What made it worse is with 3 older sisters the remaining choices of lunch bags for the next day were all pretty girly.  

When everyone is home for Christmas there will be 9 of us.  All of us are huge Star Wars fans and want to go see the new movie together, so as a family gift Dh & I pre-purchased everyone a ticket to cheap Tuesday, Dec 26th for $6.50/ ticket rather than the usual price of $12.50 for an evening ticket.  

My brother alerted me to a sale at Belk on Star Wars t-shirts.  They were buy one get two free, so everyone is getting a $6 Star Wars t-shirt with their movie ticket.

I have scheduled everyone who has been away at college & has not seen the dentist this year for an appointment when they are home for Christmas break to take advantage of expiring insurance benefits before the end of the year.  I am sure they will appreciate that, right?

Our biggest frugal "fail" so far this month (is it really only the 2nd?)  is we bought a car.  Surprise!  Our daughter has been driving a 25 year old Camry that is on its last legs.  In the past 2 months Dh has replaced the timing belt, most of the electrical system, the alternator, the battery, and the oil pump.  It has stranded her once at 2am on the way home from work, once at 8:30pm on the freeway while driving her sister home from ballet while dh & I were out of state, and on the side of highway 17 while on her way to the beach.  Thank goodness for AAA.  It seems like things are breaking faster than Dh can fix them.  Anyway, we were talking to an older woman we know who just retired and is looking at a new car to replace her 2005 Mercedes.  She was indignant that the dealer wanted to give her $500 on the trade-in.  I told her to keep us in mind because we are looking for a more reliable car for our dd.  Dh & I went over the budget, I told him I could work with 1/4 of my usual grocery budget and we would eat out of the pantry & freezer, put off a homeschool purchase I had planned for this month, and we could use a few odds & ends from other sources and offer her $1000.  Dh is picking it up tonight.  We will put the Camry on Craigslist and see what happens.  Our dd will be driving the newest & nicest vehicle we own.  It has never lived outside of the garage and has had all the service done at the dealer.

After that purchase we need to be on lock down mode for the month.  Maybe if I tell the kids it is No-Spend November it will sound more like a game than Mom & Dad worrying about paying property taxes next month.  The cheapest thing to bring to Thanksgiving are the potatoes, so I volunteered for that early.  That way I can make them inexpensively & in accordance with our food allergies.  I am also going to revive my sourdough and start baking our bread.  Sure beats $4-$5/ loaf at the store.

Dh & Ds are going on a Boy Scout canoe trip next weekend and need wetsuits.  I already put the word out that we need to borrow and I think we located one for each of them.  Because we live in an affluent area with a high COL, some people actually responded to my facebook post that they didn't understand why I didn't just go buy what they needed.  I figure it is smarter to borrow for the 12yo anyway because he might not need it again until May-June and who knows if it would fit him by then.  

I hope everyone can stay within their budget & get what they need this month.

Amber in SJ

wow you are doing great!  Awesome job on the new to you car!   I bet your dd is so happy to be driving a Mercedes!  That is so crazy cool to do that and on a budget not be spending what it really costs.  I almost did that for my first car, bought a Jag because it was the same price as a used Nissan.   I went with the Nissan because I heard repair costs were higher for Jags.   Not sure if that is really true.    But it sounds like your dh can fix everything anyhow.   

I would have totally wanted to borrow or rent wet suits too unless I knew we were going to use them a lot.   You are smart.  

Just saw this on Hip2save

Want FREE money to spend at Shutterfly?

AMC Theatres is offering a FREE $25 Shutterfly code. Simply head over here and enter your email address  and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive your FREE $25 Shutterfly code via email on November 28th. Then just head to Shutterfly.com to redeem your code.

Note that you will have to pay shipping charges which vary depending on the product(s) you order

https://www.amctheatres.com/offers/bad-moms-shutterfly?rel=badmoms_offer_hp_hero

anyone need to eat out today? 

Today, November 3rd only, Subway is celebrating World Sandwich Day by offering up a FREE sub sandwich of equal or lesser price when you purchase ANY sub and 30 oz drink! And in addition to getting a free sub, a free meal will be donated to Feeding America! SO AWESOME! Go here for more information.

As an example, you can score two 12Ă¢â‚¬Â³ Cold Cut Combo Subs and a 30 oz Fountain Drink for around $7.50! 

Edited by mommyoffive

Target: Friday 11/24/17 Only: Spend $50 or More Storewide & Get 20% Off One Shopping Trip Between Nov 28 - Dec 10 (Some Exclusions Apply)

Your $50 purchase must be made in a single transaction in-stores on 11/24/217 between 12:01 AM local time and store close or online 11/24/2017 starting at midnight PST until 11:59 PM PST. Qualifying online guests will receive coupon via email on 11/25/2017. Target reserve the right to cancel coupon if the online order is canceled. The $50 qualifying purchase will be calculated after all the other discounts applied. CVS pharmacy, clinic and Target optical are excluded from qualification. Limit one 20% off coupon per guest. Some exclusions apply.

Use your Target REDcard [target.com] for an additional 5% off 

My Christmas shopping of this week consists of finding a brand new still wrapped game for $5 at Goodwill that knocks 2 people off of my list!  Also, got the 3 babies I needed to shop for gifts for $6 each on Amazon by simply watching the price daily and waiting for it to go on sale.  That means I have 2 more people to shop for outside of my imediate family and then I'm done!

I just finished a last minute pet sitting job that paid $200.  This will go straight to our christmas budget and I don't plan on spending over that amount for the rest of our shopping.  So it looks like November will be easier to stay in budget than I thought

I have another last minute pet sitting job that will pay $250 in a few days.  This extra money will go straight to savings.

• Like 4

I got a $10 Starbucks gift card (ecard) for $5.

I have another of of these ecards I had already purchased. Going to be one of my brothers Christmas present.

Does anyone know if these can be transferred to an actual gift card if I take into a Starbucks?

Edited by Baseball mom

My Christmas shopping of this week consists of finding a brand new still wrapped game for $5 at Goodwill that knocks 2 people off of my list!  Also, got the 3 babies I needed to shop for gifts for $6 each on Amazon by simply watching the price daily and waiting for it to go on sale.  That means I have 2 more people to shop for outside of my imediate family and then I'm done!

I just finished a last minute pet sitting job that paid $200.  This will go straight to our christmas budget and I don't plan on spending over that amount for the rest of our shopping.  So it looks like November will be easier to stay in budget than I thought

I have another last minute pet sitting job that will pay $250 in a few days.  This extra money will go straight to savings.

Yay for all the petsitting

A few deals I spotted 

Huge Europe fare sale from almost every airport

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/deal-alert-us-cities-europe-404-round-trip/

Starbucks buy 1 get one free

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/06/buy-1-get-1-free-starbucks-holiday-drinks-november-9th-13th-more/

Free Magazines

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/06/free-magazine-subscriptions-seventeen-redbook-cosmo-more/

Christmas is going to consist of:

Oldest getting stuff for college dorm, more clothing, socks, underwear, etc......

Middle getting a laptop for college/graduation gift

Youngest wants a new phone.....not sure if that will happen since he swam with his last two phones and we have already replaced it once.  

So, just looking for deals on men's underwear, socks, and pants/T-shirts and jackets.

I purchased this doll for youngest dd today. 10 cents after rebate. She asked for the Mulan one, but it's 10 cents versus 8 dollars, so she's getting Elsa.  http://moneysavingmom.com/2017/11/toys-r-us-free-disney-frozen-elsa-doll-rebate.html

I talked the kids out of McDonald's today, so I'm counting that a frugality (and health) win.

Hi!  I think I will be too busy to spend much money this month.  Though I did place a pretty big Christmas order the other day.  And my kid talked me into letting her do a horse show this Sunday (replacing the Kiwanis show we skipped in August).

I believe I am done Christmas shopping for all the kids.  I probably need to come up with some things for the adult nieces/nephews.  And some generic things for families.  And a few small things for my folks.  Come December I will buy a bunch of gift cards.

I've done some donations for families in trouble, and will probably do some more in the near future.

I noticed a mistake that my company's CPA made on my tax return, which (when fixed) will mean a little less estimated tax due next year.

I purchased this doll for youngest dd today. 10 cents after rebate. She asked for the Mulan one, but it's 10 cents versus 8 dollars, so she's getting Elsa.  http://moneysavingmom.com/2017/11/toys-r-us-free-disney-frozen-elsa-doll-rebate.html

I talked the kids out of McDonald's today, so I'm counting that a frugality (and health) win.

Sweet.  

That would be a good idea for donation too.  Hmmm

• Like 1

I need this thread.  I need a serious tightening of spending.  I used to be so frugal.  I know I can do it again, I just need to find the mojo.  I need to do Christmas more frugal this year.  With teens that is so much harder than when they were little.  

We have a Lidl market and I have been saving a ton on groceries  :hurray:

I have finally learned to master iced coffee with my keurig.  I never could find anything I liked so I was frequenting Starbucks and nothing about Starbucks is frugal  :mellow:

• Like 1

Some good deals this morning.

Costco is selling some Lego sets if anyone is looking.

Free stuff from Shutterfly

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/07/rewardsrus-members-free-25-shutterfly-holiday-cards-and-free-shipping-code-check-your-inbox/

http://hip2save.com/2017/11/07/pampers-rewards-possible-free-shutterfly-ornament-25-value-check-your-inbox/

Thanks for posting deals mommyoffive. Dd Loves the $22 winter coat and it seems really nice quality, looks good on her. Ds's is nice too. I bought socks and underwear for the family this week. Kind of overspent on groceries, so I'll need to dial back to end up on budget, especially with three turkeys from the poultry farm in a week. Those will be about $60 each, ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had great luck at Kmart with their ShopTheirWay points this season. Every few days I've been checking and I'll have another $8 off of $8 in home or $5 off of $5 apparel, etc. I've used up anything that doesn't require a high purchase; I currently have $50 off of a $399 TV (I won't be using that one haha). They're probably getting sick of me coming in every week to pick up another order. 

I've gotten dish towels & oven mitts (for my brother who doesn't have cash to ever replace that sort of stuff), sheets (not a Christmas present, but needed here), earrings (DD), and socks (stocking stuffer for DD). All of that cost me less than $3 total. I paid about $12 for a Razr scooter after points; the youngest had almost outgrew her little kid scooter and this new one will be ok weight-wise for all of the kids. I also purchased middle child some winter boots for about $18. 

I have to go through the gift box tonight when all of the kids are at programs so I can see where I stand and what I need to fill in. I think I've spent about $70 total; I'm trying to do it all within $100.  I know I still have FIL to buy for, and I am clueless as to what to get. He's in the early stages of dementia and doesn't have much in the way of hobbies anymore so I'm kind of at a loss.

Does anyone stock up on cheap turkeys at Thanksgiving time? Best price for meat all year long, I'm wondering if I should fill my chest freezer.

Yes I do. I generally get 2 free ones, mine and my dad's that he gives us. Then I buy 4 more. They all go in the freezer and then about once a month I make one and stock. That meat gets used for sandwiches, casseroles, quesadillas, soups, etc. It replaces the 2 chickens I roast a week quite nicely.

• Like 1

I've had great luck at Kmart with their ShopTheirWay points this season. Every few days I've been checking and I'll have another $8 off of $8 in home or $5 off of $5 apparel, etc. I've used up anything that doesn't require a high purchase; I currently have $50 off of a $399 TV (I won't be using that one haha). They're probably getting sick of me coming in every week to pick up another order. 

I've gotten dish towels & oven mitts (for my brother who doesn't have cash to ever replace that sort of stuff), sheets (not a Christmas present, but needed here), earrings (DD), and socks (stocking stuffer for DD). All of that cost me less than $3 total. I paid about $12 for a Razr scooter after points; the youngest had almost outgrew her little kid scooter and this new one will be ok weight-wise for all of the kids. I also purchased middle child some winter boots for about $18. 

I have to go through the gift box tonight when all of the kids are at programs so I can see where I stand and what I need to fill in. I think I've spent about $70 total; I'm trying to do it all within $100.  I know I still have FIL to buy for, and I am clueless as to what to get. He's in the early stages of dementia and doesn't have much in the way of hobbies anymore so I'm kind of at a loss.

You are rocking it!!!!!

Don't know about your FIL

Would he like a tv show on dvd that he likes?

Food?

Blanket

slippers

Does anyone stock up on cheap turkeys at Thanksgiving time? Best price for meat all year long, I'm wondering if I should fill my chest freezer.

I do.  Turkeys & hams bought at this time of year to use year round.  Leftover turkey can be used in almost anything that cooked chicken can be used in.  I have never had a problem with them tasting freezer burned or off, but I do usually brine them.  in warmer weather we brine them & then smoke them on the outdoor grill.  

All of our bulk purchases go in the chest freezer in the garage.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I'm trying to rein in the food spending again; it has gotten away from me as I have been overwhelmed with trying to keep everything going while I've been sick these past few weeks. 

I'm shopping the goodwill auction website for some Christmas gifts that would be way out of budget elsewhere.  I also found a couple of things that I had seen ads for much cheaper on ebay.

Dh and I are going to pay off the last of the law school debt this month!

• Like 3

I'm trying to rein in the food spending again; it has gotten away from me as I have been overwhelmed with trying to keep everything going while I've been sick these past few weeks. 

I'm shopping the goodwill auction website for some Christmas gifts that would be way out of budget elsewhere.  I also found a couple of things that I had seen ads for much cheaper on ebay.

Dh and I are going to pay off the last of the law school debt this month!

That is huge!!!

Congrats