Menu

NaNoWriMo 2017 Support and Chat thread

scrapbookbuzz

I *was* on a roll today but that seems to have screeched to a halt.

:(

It's not unusual for me to have a really productive day (say 2500 or 3000 words) and then do squat the next day (a measly 500 or less). I chalk it up to just needing to recharge the well, so to speak.

I got my 2K today thanks to a secondary character I love, and I have a decent idea of what happens in the next chapter, so hopefully I can get close to 35K tomorrow or Monday.

• Like 1

I'm sitting a little over 35,000 but feel myself running out of steam.  I am really fighting the urge to go back and start revising.  I have learned I have to be done before dinner.  I just do not seem to be able to come with anything after that.  My brain just feels dead.

• Like 2

I'm procrastinating today by painting flowers. Somebody tell me to go write those last 1000 words and then I can play with watercolors.

Write those 1000 words and then you can go play with watercolors.   :laugh:

Just think how much more you will enjoy painting if you don't have those last 1000 words hanging over your head.

• Like 1

Scrap, I am so much more creative in the morning and the ideas just seem to flow better.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time getting the kids to leave me alone.  Morning is normally the time we do most of our school work too.  I need to set new boundaries with my kids.  They are definitely old enough that they can understand I need an hour alone in the morning.  But it is just my dd and I during the week so I feel guilty if I kick her out of my space.  Which is hilarious considering she never feels the same when she kicks me out of hers.    :closedeyes:

• Like 1

I write better in the afternoon and the evening. I can do about a 1000 words in the morning, but it's much better if I stop at around 500, and then get going around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, take a break for dinner and chores, and then go crazy from 6-9 in the evening. 

• Like 1

I write better in the afternoon and the evening. I can do about a 1000 words in the morning, but it's much better if I stop at around 500, and then get going around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, take a break for dinner and chores, and then go crazy from 6-9 in the evening. 

I've been trying to write in segmented chunks and I think it's working better. Maybe I feel less pressure if I know I'm sitting down to do 1000 words rather than my entire word count for the day? 

I normally don't write in the evening at all, but I have been enjoying some evening writing this week. Though I was thwarted two days in a row by ds's girlfriend being over. They watch TV downstairs and my office is in a separate building out back. I end up finishing for the day and spending the rest of the evening walking up and downstairs with loads of laundry instead. 

I've fallen behind on my word count, but I think I can still make it. I'm at around 18500 now. 

• Like 2

Yeah, mine is far from pretty, as well. But the main gist of the story is getting put down. After this month, I'll set aside two, maybe, three days a week (two hours each),

to revise and strengthen. Right now, though, it's all about getting the story OUT of your head so you know what the story is actually ABOUT! ;-)

• Like 1

Yeah, mine is far from pretty, as well. But the main gist of the story is getting put down. After this month, I'll set aside two, maybe, three days a week (two hours each),

to revise and strengthen. Right now, though, it's all about getting the story OUT of your head so you know what the story is actually ABOUT! ;-)

For me, that usually happens around the third revision... :laugh:

I'm at 36K and change today. I was tempted to keep going, but I need to think a little bit about what happens at the end of this chapter. It's just as well I take the evening off and paint. I wouldn't mind doing a sketch of some of the scenery I wrote about today. It was gloriously creepy and based off of a place that I could probably take you to. And remind you to be very, very careful where you step. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Well, I know I met the 30,000 word mark last night. No official count yet because I have yet to transcribe it into digital format.

The people I met with to get our writing done last night weren't a whole lot of help because, MAN, was everyone in a chatty mood! :tongue_smilie:

It was crazy but there was a lot of healthy laughter! :D

Transcribing and more transcribing today so I can get a more accurate idea of my word count. I have plenty to write so I'm not worried about meeting the 50k.

Just hoping I can get it done soon - like before or by the 30th. I know some people have already met the 50k goal. Where are you with your word count as of today?

I hit 40,000 yesterday.  I was hoping to add another 2,000 today so that I could take off the next two days but I haven't made it yet.

Yesterday I wrote a funeral scene.  I was crying by the time I was done.  My kids thought I was crazy.   :laugh:

• Like 2

I hit 40,000 yesterday. I was hoping to add another 2,000 today so that I could take off the next two days but I haven't made it yet.

Yesterday I wrote a funeral scene. I was crying by the time I was done. My kids thought I was crazy. :laugh:

I usually read my story to my family. One year I wrote a murder mystery. I made myself cry while writing. Also dd(ya) stopped listening because the crime was so sad. I felt bad to make her sad but also good about my story being moving!

• Like 3

Well, if you've made yourself cry, and I happen to know a prolific author personally and she's done the same!, then I'd say your writing is pretty darn good!

I finally tackled the issue of my antagonist on Wednesday. I don't write linearly (I'm a pantser) and tend to hold of on dealing with the antagonist. I mean, he's in the

story a bit already to help me get the flow of my writing. But now I'm at the point that in order to write the rest of the needed scenes, I need to know more detail about him.

so I had to bite the bullet and get back to it.

Meeting up with some writer friends later to work on our NaNoWriMo projects in a group setting. Anyone else escaping the house for a bit to write?

• Like 2

Made it to almost 46k yesterday.  I would love to finish by tomorrow.  

I'm wishing we could skip school today but we took last week off, and I think my dd is actually looking forward to getting back into the swing of things today.  Need to take advantage of that!

• Like 2

Just finished writing for the night. 2,600 words to go. In theory I could finish tomorrow night. I'll probably just aim for 1k per night and finish on Thursday though.

Overall for the book I'm writing I probably have another 10-15k to go. I started with 15k though. Nano has certainly helped me get a good chunk knocked out. 

• Like 2

UGH!  I have 2740 words left and my brain feels empty.   :crying: I can't seem to come up with a single thing to write.  I'm not even close to being done with the story as a whole but I'm just blank today.  I was hoping to finish today.  Now I'm feeling like I'll be lucky if I write anything at all.

UGH!  I have 2740 words left and my brain feels empty.   :crying: I can't seem to come up with a single thing to write.  I'm not even close to being done with the story as a whole but I'm just blank today.  I was hoping to finish today.  Now I'm feeling like I'll be lucky if I write anything at all.

Go for a walk if you can or if that's not possible, try some poetry or thematic music. That helps me when I'm feeling stuck.

• Like 3

Do a list of ten bad things that could happen to your characters and then make one of them happen.

• Like 2

I reached 50k today!!!

For those that feel stuck, here are some suggestions:

*interview one of your characters and write that interview into your WIP (work in progress). those words count NOW, regardless of whether or not you think they'll make the final cut for your story

*take your character shopping. Physically - if you need to shop today, pretend you're one of your characters. What does that tell you about them? Write that in the story.

Or just mentally - write them as going into a store. Why are they there? What do they need to buy or do? How are they feeling by doing this: anxious, calm, normal? Are they distracted from their list by thinking of other things they need to get accomlished? There are probably 500 words you could write about this alone!

*go out to eat and think about one of your characters doing that.

There are so many different angles from which to look at your characters.

*Write a scene you've already written from a DIFFERENT character's point of view. Put that in your WIP. It's the word count that matters right now. Revisions come AFTER November. You might be surprised at what the POV of a different character brings to mind for you!

I reached 50k today!!!

For those that feel stuck, here are some suggestions:

*interview one of your characters and write that interview into your WIP (work in progress). those words count NOW, regardless of whether or not you think they'll make the final cut for your story

*take your character shopping. Physically - if you need to shop today, pretend you're one of your characters. What does that tell you about them? Write that in the story.

Or just mentally - write them as going into a store. Why are they there? What do they need to buy or do? How are they feeling by doing this: anxious, calm, normal? Are they distracted from their list by thinking of other things they need to get accomlished? There are probably 500 words you could write about this alone!

*go out to eat and think about one of your characters doing that.

There are so many different angles from which to look at your characters.

*Write a scene you've already written from a DIFFERENT character's point of view. Put that in your WIP. It's the word count that matters right now. Revisions come AFTER November. You might be surprised at what the POV of a different character brings to mind for you!

Oh, I did that one time. She came home with four pairs of shoes and two really nice outfits. We had to go to fourteen stores out of town to get those things. She was very happy. I was glad to get back to the protagonist who more or less picks what he wears off the top of the laundry basket. :laugh: