Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & exercise) - Nov. 2017

Laurie4b

Today is definitely a rest day for me. I did well on Thursday with a private lesson, tennis ball target practice, and arms and core workout. On Friday I only had open fencing, but it was really great. I don't know if it was a weird coincidence or there was some connection with the exercises I have been doing, but during fencing one of my smaller inner hip muscles decided to cramp. It never ever did that before. I tried to stretch it. but it was in a weird place, so I couldn't figure out how to reach it. It wasn't too bad, but I felt it until I came home and plopped on one of those lavender-filled heated toys.  I also fenced a left-handed lady, and for some reason it just kills my wrist, and discomfort in the wrist kills my elbow. So, I also feel some pain in my arm. It's better today, so hopefully with some rest I'll be fine by Monday.

I went to bed after 12 yesterday. I could sleep in today, but I am afraid I am slipping back into my old schedule.

• Like 3

I am just barely keeping my nose above water in the transition to dark days. Of course, the weather also had to be cold and rainy to boot. I totally bailed Thursday and Friday. Today, I should have done a whole body workout, but just did upper body and definitely dragged myself to do even that. It was cold out so I didn't get outside. I know full well that today will seem really nice come January, but I'm still adjusting. I did 30 min of Zumba from Youtube videos. So I just barely made 150 min of cardio and did 2 upper body workouts, one really lite. 

I've also started that winter eating. I'm trying to pay attention to what happens and part of it is that I am really hungry when I get home from work. I eat then, which is fine.... unless I also have to cook dinner. Then it's the equivalent of two dinners. For instance, after a full day of doctor's appointments (like 5 hours) I got word that all my college boys were coming home on Friday, so I went to the grocery store during the time I would have come home and gotten a snack and exercised. I shopped hungry, got home famished, ate a bunch of tortilla chips that I had purchased to go with the white chicken chili for dinner, then also ate dinner. Then seconds.  With the kitchen renovation and the kids usually not home, I have let stocking the kitchen and meal prep go. DH often skips dinner so it's usually just me to cook for, but I can't get low for unexpected kids home (which I love!)  I am not a "meal planner" per se but a "kitchen stocker." If there are not the right ingredients in the kitchen, it can set me up for eating too much of what I can find. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

The past few days my exercise has been mostly karate - grading night, class, at home practice. Also, it was a yard work week. We cleaned out flower beds, raked, picked up stick and small limbs from the recent storm, painted the outside of the house, and did general cleaning up.

I did better with meals until tonight. It was nearly 8:00 and we still hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t made it home from running errands. Everyone was hungry so we picked up fast food. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not something we usually do but I was too tired to think of doing anything else.

• Like 4

Thanks for starting the thread. I apologize for being MIA but I have been dealing with a bit of depression and some weight gain and I'm struggling to get out of the funk.

I cancelled my membership at the Y since I hadn't visited in months. With all of the workouts with tennis and general busy-ness of life, I was doing well and losing weight. Noe that tennis season is over and the pressure of recruiting (I had no idea this was so difficult) is on life is much tougher. DH's employer also changed how the business is run and is taking advantage of employees and there are rumblings of striking. Many people have taken early retirement or simply quit and walked away. DH works 12+ hour shifts out-of-town. He's on the road longer than he is at home. We have no time to spend together and we both struggling. I can't bring myself to go use the college's fitness center. I don't really know why - I've been chalking it up to my general introvertedness and my lack of self-esteem. Seriously, the idea of working out with all of those windows increases my anxiety. Now that the weather has changed and it's been in the 30's-40's with lots of wind and rain, playing tennis outside in town has dropped off. Very few women want to pay to play inside here and there are no indoor backboards or functioning ball machines to use.

We're entering my least favorite time of year; I hate the pressure of the holidays and the pressure to celebrate with friends and family and make memories. There are people who don't have many friends or family and I hate being made to feel inadequate.

Then there's the guilt of looking at my kayak and hiking gear. I just don't have the heart to load it up and drive anywhere by myself. Living in an area where it takes effort to enjoy the outdoors is a drag. There are precious few outdoor areas nearby and I have already investigated everything that is within an hour's drive.

This is how bad I feel - I almost gave in and ate a gluten filled pizza. I was to the point where I just didn't care. Thank goodness I didn't do it. The physical and emotional side effects would have been devastating.

I've been doing well with my bullet journal and I enjoy seeing progress toward reaching my goals. It is a distressing reminder, however, that I have failed miserably in the weight loss and socialization goals. I simply cannot maintain these two things over the long term.

• Like 1

I am just barely keeping my nose above water in the transition to dark days. Of course, the weather also had to be cold and rainy to boot. I totally bailed Thursday and Friday. Today, I should have done a whole body workout, but just did upper body and definitely dragged myself to do even that. It was cold out so I didn't get outside. I know full well that today will seem really nice come January, but I'm still adjusting. I did 30 min of Zumba from Youtube videos. So I just barely made 150 min of cardio and did 2 upper body workouts, one really lite. 

I've also started that winter eating. I'm trying to pay attention to what happens and part of it is that I am really hungry when I get home from work. I eat then, which is fine.... unless I also have to cook dinner. Then it's the equivalent of two dinners. For instance, after a full day of doctor's appointments (like 5 hours) I got word that all my college boys were coming home on Friday, so I went to the grocery store during the time I would have come home and gotten a snack and exercised. I shopped hungry, got home famished, ate a bunch of tortilla chips that I had purchased to go with the white chicken chili for dinner, then also ate dinner. Then seconds.  With the kitchen renovation and the kids usually not home, I have let stocking the kitchen and meal prep go. DH often skips dinner so it's usually just me to cook for, but I can't get low for unexpected kids home (which I love!)  I am not a "meal planner" per se but a "kitchen stocker." If there are not the right ingredients in the kitchen, it can set me up for eating too much of what I can find. 

Big hugs to you. I totally get it. I like your term "kitchen stocker". That's what I am, too.

• Like 1

I should add that I'm not completely sedentary. I played tennis twice this week. I also met one of the tennis goals I set for 2017. I challenged myself to win 200 sets. It didn't matter what type of tennis was played (mixed, ladies, singles, doubles, recreational, USTA) it just had to be a full set of 6 or a pro set. I keep track of my playing in my bullet journal so it's easy to add up the wins and losses. I met my goal of 200 sets won on Wednesday.

• Like 4

Thanks for starting the thread. I apologize for being MIA but I have been dealing with a bit of depression and some weight gain and I'm struggling to get out of the funk.

I cancelled my membership at the Y since I hadn't visited in months. With all of the workouts with tennis and general busy-ness of life, I was doing well and losing weight. Noe that tennis season is over and the pressure of recruiting (I had no idea this was so difficult) is on life is much tougher. DH's employer also changed how the business is run and is taking advantage of employees and there are rumblings of striking. Many people have taken early retirement or simply quit and walked away. DH works 12+ hour shifts out-of-town. He's on the road longer than he is at home. We have no time to spend together and we both struggling. I can't bring myself to go use the college's fitness center. I don't really know why - I've been chalking it up to my general introvertedness and my lack of self-esteem. Seriously, the idea of working out with all of those windows increases my anxiety. Now that the weather has changed and it's been in the 30's-40's with lots of wind and rain, playing tennis outside in town has dropped off. Very few women want to pay to play inside here and there are no indoor backboards or functioning ball machines to use.

We're entering my least favorite time of year; I hate the pressure of the holidays and the pressure to celebrate with friends and family and make memories. There are people who don't have many friends or family and I hate being made to feel inadequate.

Then there's the guilt of looking at my kayak and hiking gear. I just don't have the heart to load it up and drive anywhere by myself. Living in an area where it takes effort to enjoy the outdoors is a drag. There are precious few outdoor areas nearby and I have already investigated everything that is within an hour's drive.

This is how bad I feel - I almost gave in and ate a gluten filled pizza. I was to the point where I just didn't care. Thank goodness I didn't do it. The physical and emotional side effects would have been devastating.

I've been doing well with my bullet journal and I enjoy seeing progress toward reaching my goals. It is a distressing reminder, however, that I have failed miserably in the weight loss and socialization goals. I simply cannot maintain these two things over the long term.

Wow. That is a lot of transition.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  And I"m complaining about weather and disruption of having a new kitchen!  (And I feel a little self-conscious about that. We're not renovating for the heck of it. We bought a rental that had the lowest end cabinets in and have lived here over 10 years and they were just falling apart. Kitchen tiles cracked all over. It was pretty bad.) 

Glad with you that you held the line on the gluten pizza! 

It is hard when you don't have exercise buddies. I am in a transition with respect to that as well. Before Ds#3 went off to college, he was quite reliable as a spontaneous hiking partner. There are only a couple places around here where I feel it's safe to walk outside by myself, so then I have to hustle up a buddy. And if it happens to be a prettier day than anticipated or some other last minute thing, by the time I contact someone, it might be too late to go.  

• Like 4

Huge hugs for all of us ladies in cold climates.  :grouphug:   The cold and dark really suck the energy and momentum out of me. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this struggle. I have to admit that I feel more guilty about not walking the dog, than I do about the loss of walking for myself. Fortunately, he's not a lover of cold weather, either, and he's not a puppy anymore, so his energy levels are less than in past years.

My dh and I played doubles tennis in our competitive league last night. I was feeling very intimidated about the match beforehand, as I've lost to this team many times in the past few years.  My mental strategy was to wear my tank top so that my arm muscles from weight training would be more evident. ;) I was going to show up as a strong, on-fire competitor. It was challenging to adjust to playing in a heated area after playing outdoors where the balls are hard as rocks. But everyone seemed to be having the same trouble.  Overall, I was very happy with my tennis. I played well and was less erratic than I can be. The rallies were great, and the games were close.

It was a really fun night, even though we did actually lose the sets. 

• Like 4

Now that the weather has changed and it's been in the 30's-40's with lots of wind and rain, playing tennis outside in town has dropped off. Very few women want to pay to play inside here and there are no indoor backboards or functioning ball machines to use.

I hear ya. It's exactly the same here. Too expensive to play much tennis indoors, too cold to play outdoors, and much fewer people to play with (and less time myself). 

Are there any guys you could play with, either singles or doubles? I've found that men tend to be more willing to get out and play than women. I'm very lucky that I can tag along with my dh to play doubles with 3 guys. It's excellent! My tennis improves so much more by playing stronger competition, and they are happy to have someone who can serve and play consistently. 

• Like 3

Ok, since I haven't been doing so well with the strength training nor the adjustment to the dark, I am going to try posting my intentions here for the week and see if that helps.  It should also help that the temps will be about 10-15 degrees higher than this week. 

I may travel Friday. Won't know till later this week, so it will be best for me to get the bulk of my exercise in M-Th just in case. If I do travel Friday, I will be doing Nordic walking on Sat morning. :) Right now, the forecast where I might travel to do the Nordic walking is for rain, in which case, I will likely wait and hope for better weather the last Saturday of the month. 

Monday: 60 min walk/run. I need to start that by 4:00 Either upper body/core or whole body. Probably need to do that between 3:00 and 4:00.  Flexibility after running. 

Tues: If not done lower body on Monday, do it today. Some kind of moderate cardio TBD. Flexibility.

Wed Zumba  Either upper body/core or skip. Do this before Zumba. Since I tutor, I need to do it at about 4:15-4:30. Flexibility will be included in ZUmba. 

Thu: 60 minWalk/run & lower body or whole body if I skip upper on Wed. Flexibility Same schedule as Monday. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

I dragged myself to the gym this evening and completed a 30 min run on the treadmill, some upper body weights and core work. Glad I got out there and did something. I did appreciate a full 24 hours break between my tennis last night and the gym stuff today. I must be getting old!  :laugh: 

• Like 3

I went through my closet yesterday and purged all of my size 8s. I've been holding on to them for "some day" and they are a depressing reminder that I will probably never be that small again. It wasn't as cathartic as I had hoped but my closet is tidier and I moved cold weather clothing so I have easier access to it.

DO any of you use Facebook? Those daily reminders that pop up of things that occurred 3-5-10 years ago. Ugh. The last few days every one of my reminders have all been about weight loss. I have been on this journey for so long. I lose 5-10 and gain it all back. 

--

I need to reset my brain and attitude. I know I have a long drive coming up this weekend so I will be sedentary for two days. I have four days before the drive. My goal is to do something/anything for an hour each day.

I've got this!!

• Like 4

I was feeling pretty blah yesterday, and it showed in practice. I lost every single bout, and I lost then worse than I usually do. Today I took a private lesson, played with the tennis ball (it's actually quite fun - trying to hit a ball on a string with the tip of an epee while keeping distance; not sure how much  it improves my fencing, but it is a great legs workout, cardio, and I get to feel like a kitten) while DS took his lesson, and finished with an arm workout at home. I hope to go to the evening class, but it will probably be short.

• Like 2

I was late getting out to the gym this evening. I tried running to the gym, but when I was passing the high school track, I decided to just run around the nice, soft gravel track instead of a hard treadmill. I didn't take into account the cold, though!  :cursing:  My poor lungs weren't quite prepared for 32 F while running at a pretty good pace (it was dark, and I have a tough time judging my speed in the dark - it felt fairly fast).   I think I only ran for maybe 20 - 30 min max. I didn't sweat at all.  :laugh:  It was too cold, and I didn't keep going long enough. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I am still struggling with the transition to cold and dark. Our house renovation is now closer to done: nobody will be here in the afternoons when I get home from work. That has caused me to delay lifting weights (cause I am just not into having some guy in the house while I'm warming up to Zumba and doing my routine!) 

But I am really feeling blah, too, when I get home. It feels really late and I want to eat and sit in front of the fire. (We heat with wood) . So yesterday I did nothing but a plank. Yep. That's it. 

Today, I did upper body. No cardio.

One thing I will have to figure out is the barbell is outside on the side porch where it is cold!  

I am falling asleep at a decent hour but waking up at Daylight Savings Time time so I am losing that hour of sleep. I am just staying in bed and not getting up though, hoping I'll adjust. 

• Like 2

Today was a karate day. When I woke up today I had a spot in my lower back that was bothering me. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel like I could push as hard in class. I went to the chiropractor this afternoon and he worked on it but now itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pretty sore.

I also spent several hours cleaning up and packing DSĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s room. That probably didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t help my back at all. Today was the first day IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve worked on the packing. Clearly, packing and moving a family of six will take a great deal of time. And a lot more boxes. I hope my back feels better tomorrow. We want the house to be ready to list in a couple of weeks and I still have a lot to do.

• Like 3

I've been feeling blah, I think just that time of the month crap (it doesn't help that my cycles aren't that long, the last one was just 24 days). Anyway, I've not done too much. BUT today I went to the flea market and found an old MTB bike. The one I have is actually newer but a super cheap model and in very rough shape, I'm very excited. I rode it just a bit and pushed myself a little hard(felt nauseous) but I can already tell it is going to be a much better ride than my old bike. I just need to do some nice and easy rides.

• Like 4

Went to the club to fence both yesterday and today. Tuesday class has gained some new members so it was actually full hour of fencing. Today was good, too. I am roughly on track with everything I planned, but I did hurt my wrist/arm again last Friday, and today it feels like I am back to square one with that. Did about half an hour of massage tonight, which seemed to help last time. I'll have to scale down my upper body workouts though, as lifting anything hurts. Or I can do left side, as it is weaker anyway.

• Like 4

Really, really struggling with going out into the dark.  I don't mind the cold, but the dark.  UGH!!!  I did go out last night while the rest of the family ate dinner, and decided to just run hard, and...  down to 10:08/mile for 3.7 miles!  Very happy with my times dropping!  But consistency really needs to be my WORD for 2018.  I'm wondering about setting my alarm for 5am, daily, and just getting the F out of bed regardless of if I actually am going running that day.  It's not like I couldn't find a good use for 2 hours of me-time, so aside from dragging myself out from under the duvet, there's no downside...

I'm also trying to decide if I want to drop some money on a movement program called GMB: Elements program and it looks awesome.  But weirdly enough, just spending money hasn't made me any fitter.  It's like I have to actually do it or something!  Gah!  My issue with all bodyweight stuff is my wrists, which are extremely inflexible and always have been.  

• Like 2

So all this talk of dragging ourselves.... apparently my hound dog was reading over my shoulder and decided to help. 

I did get my fanny outside in enough time to exercise for 50 min before it got dark.

She caught me off guard near the beginning when I was checking my phone for sunset time for our area and she saw a squirrel and took off like a shot. I can stop her if I see it coming just by saying no, but once she commits, she accelerates from 0-60 in about 30 seconds! My hand was through the loop of the leash instead of holding it wrapped around my hips like I usually do (so that I can stabilize with my hips if she starts to run or let go if needed.) As it was, I couldn't let go and I got dragged at full arm extension. I am sure I was quite graceful.  I wasn't hurt at all, just  :cursing:  and muddy.  I used to dive like on purpose  when defending a field hockey goal with stick-holding arm extended, so perhaps old muscle memory took over. Anyway, I got in 30 min of jogging in 50 min of light. 

I still need to drag myself to get my strength training done, but thought I would at least bookmark this part of my exercise. It's a little "reward" to get to record it. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

It seems like a lot of us are struggling with the weather and early darkening. Me too. Blah.

It's helpful to me to see that this transition appears to be a widespread obstacle and that it is not just me. I seem to recall that I eventually adapted last year, but yeah, blah is right. 

• Like 2

I did some legs workout yesterday and went to the club today for almost 2 hours, but a lot of that time was spent not fencing. I do think I have improved in the last couple of months, unless most people got worse. Unfortunately, now I am typing this with an ice pack on my wrist :(

• Like 3

No real workout but I was up cleaning etc for a party at my house all day yesterday. From 8 to 4:30 I sit down maybe 30 min total. With not feeling well I've been a lot more sedentary so I'm happy to be just up and moving around. We had a sleepover last night and I hardly slept at all (not surprising!). I feel dead! I'm hoping to do a bit outside this morning before it turns cold again, we'll see. 

• Like 3

I went for a walk (finishing up with a short run) along the river pathway this morning. It was windy and bracing, but quite lovely. Not the pretty, colourful scenery from a month ago, but still beautiful. There was one tough kayaker out there paddling away, bundled up very warmly. If I had a kayak, I would NOT have joined him. Too icy!  The ice is falling now, too, in the form of little pellets and freezing rain. Winter is upon us. 

• Like 4

I got out this morning for a little walk before the girls got up. I also threw in a couple of sets of squats and modified push-ups- about 20 minutes total. We had a freak warm snap so it was nice out, it's storming and cooling down now. It's 1:30 now and all our guests have gone and I'm done cleaning up everything and ready to collapse for a nap, other than cooking, a nap, and church I'll probably not do much else today. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving celebration w/ dh's family so I'll be cooking and visiting.

• Like 3

Busy day yesterday. I ate too much at our get together but that's ok, it is a rare occurrence.

Dd3 is throwing up again, not sure what is going on.

Fwiw dd3's bday was last week and I didn't make my goal weight, I'm staying 8-10 lbs above my previous weight. It seems I can maintain here easily. I'm just going to take it easy until the New Year and see if I can lose weight then as it is generally easier for me in the New Year.

I'm trying to build my activity level back up. The local dr. did a bunch of tests, all were negative and told me to check with my endocrinologist b/c he thought my symptoms fit with that. I've got an appt next week. But I don't know if they will find anything. I think I have a few things going on. I think part was a bit of compromised breathing due to fall allergies, I kept getting tightness in my chest this fall and my breathing capacity has increased lately. Last fall I ended up with walking pneumonia and almost hospitalized. I really need to go to an allergist but it is money I don't need to spend, maybe next fall we'll still have FSA funds. I think another part is hormones b/c I feel better or worse depending on the time of my cycle (which keeps shortening). I am going to test hormones again but I think I should just come to expect it b/c it could just be peri. Lastly, I think it has been partstress-inducedced, August was horrendous and also coincided with all of the health issues. Some things I can't control. I'm going to have them re-check adrenals as well. 

I've decided considering all of this I need to set my sights lower. Since I was diagnosed w/ thyroid disease 3+ yrs ago I've had in my head I need to get back to normal and I've continually tried to push my body. I'm mentally and physically tired of pushing. I mourn the idea of what I could possibly accomplish but going for it is not working for my body and leaving me depressed when my body doesn't cooperate. So, I just want to move and I'm not trying to get to a certain place. We'll see if I can manage to chill a bit, embrace MoveNat more not trying to do anything crazy, walking and moving, working around the house, inside and out.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

This weekend was a bit crazy, and this week till Thursday is even crazier with several doctors appointments and other driving errands. I did manage to get to the club today, but as today was off the routine I forgot to eat before going. Well, I grabbed a handful of almonds and raisins, but it was too early and not enough. About 30-40 minutes in I just crashed. I need to revamp my diet, both content and timing to avoid situations like this.

• Like 3

Yesterday:

Walk w/ ds, through the woods and up a hill. 

Mindful Strength 25 min

Sounds really nice!

What is "Mindful Strength?"  I need to tweak my strength training toward more Careful Strength. I've over-done my shoulder area somehow. Are you following a specific program?

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Saturday, I got to try out Nordic walking. Kinda. It was a group meet and you get free rental of poles the first time you come. The leader has the highest level of certification but he hardly spent any time teaching me. Also, he would often just carry his poles and the whole time he walked with arms bent which is not how it's done according to what I've watched online. He said the nice thing about the group was the social aspect. People can chat and that helps pass the time whereas if they walked alone, they would quit earlier. (The walk was about 2 hours, 5 miles.) So my interpretation is that he wasn't really doing much more than walking with poles as opposed to Nordic walking. 

I , on the other hand, was interested in really learning how to do the Nordic walking so as to maximize heart rate and upper body muscle activation. I wore my monitor and at first it seemed that my HR was elevated about 10 points over what it would be if I were walking the same terrain without poles, which is decent, but by the end of the walk, it was about the same. I'm not sure what the difference was. Anyway <sigh> I guess I will need to take some other kind of course or something. The poles are pretty expensive, like around $150 + so I don't want to buy a set if it's not something that is actually going to work for me. 

I didn't do any exercise yesterday. I had a medical appointment in the afternoon and it was dusk when I came out so I did some of my Thanksgiving shopping and came home. I had hoped I would do some strength training but I did not. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Sounds really nice!

What is "Mindful Strength?"  I need to tweak my strength training toward more Careful Strength. I've over-done my shoulder area somehow. Are you following a specific program?

What I did yesterday is part of a video if you scroll down to Nov. 18 you will see it. It is 70 min long, I only did 25 min.

https://www.facebook.com/KathrynBruniYoung/?hc_ref=ARS83emDUL4u7sdlsyiRoedLcOejVjB8fL1kI04_gICnBrNRbmIj40cVhYpL06AIiBc&pnref=story

This is gentle stuff. Small movements. I have horrible trouble with my shoulder too. I injured it a couple of years ago and seem to keep injuring it. I'm trying to work on the little stuff to see if I can maybe finally heal it b/c pushing through is not working. I added in some squats b/c the first part that I did is focused on the upper body and really the core with the hands and knees work. Also, there is a lot of wrist work, which seems odd but I *need* it, it is great compliment to all this time on the computer (which really exacerbates my shoulder issues- so I'm *trying* to cut it back!) 

I also like MovNat stuff;

https://www.movnat.com/category/our-journal/from-the-ground-up/

Katy Bowman

Here is a series for upper body- https://nutritiousmovement.com/upper-body-advent-2015/

She is doing an Advent based on Squats this year on her FB page- I LOVE squats!!! They are so important. 

• Like 3

Today I had to drive DD to the zoo for her CC fieldtrip (who knew community colleges go to the zoo for a fieldtrip?), so I stayed there with DS. 3.5 hours later I decided it was enough of a workout for me. Unfortunately, when we came home, my hip said it had too much of a workout. I really never had anything like this before, I barely managed to walk home from the car. Now I can walk, but I feel it every time I put my weight on that foot. Like I don't have enough problem with my wrist.

• Like 1

Today I had to drive DD to the zoo for her CC fieldtrip (who knew community colleges go to the zoo for a fieldtrip?), so I stayed there with DS. 3.5 hours later I decided it was enough of a workout for me. Unfortunately, when we came home, my hip said it had too much of a workout. I really never had anything like this before, I barely managed to walk home from the car. Now I can walk, but I feel it every time I put my weight on that foot. Like I don't have enough problem with my wrist.

That stinks. But sometimes I've had stuff like that clear up by the next day. Hope your hip is feeling better soon!

• Like 3

90+ minutes of work outside yesterday

General yard work, nothing too strenuous but I kept moving

Did some hill walking too

I slept worse last night than the night before. Sigh. Planning to do some mindful strength or MovNat stuff today. I'm actually a bit sore from what I did the other day, sad to say! OH, and it seems like everyone here is getting sick. Dd3 had this virus over a week ago and it seemed we all dodged it (although I felt crummy a couple of days I didn't get the fever she did), well yesterday my other 2 girls and dh started feeling bad, hopefully it passes quickly and no one else goes down, we might be staying in for T-giving.

I hope it is better soon. I had some random hip pain here a month or so ago, I couldn't walk without pain, it did go away though. I think it must just be age (and for me b/c I hadn't been active enough).

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I'm about three weeks into being strict keto again. I don't know why I waited this long. 

To recap - I lost 60 lbs last year with IF and Keto. Then, seasonal depression hit, and I gained 25 back. I couldn't kick the sugar, even after the depression lifted and I fought with the same five or six pounds through late spring until just after Halloween. 

Since November 1, I've lost 8lbs and feel so much better. I'm no longer having sugar or carb cravings. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. Clothes fit me that didn't fit me in September. 

For me, it's really all about the diet. My exercise has been consistent for a very long time. I lift weights at the gym twice a week and I run three times a week. In September I was up to 19km for my long run on the weekend. But, you can't outrun a bad diet :( 

I have a fasting schedule that works for me and I'm loving my keto foods and, mostly, I'm just so relieved that I'm not constantly thinking about chocolate anymore. My plan is to enjoy a sugar free Christmas season and carry this way of eating through the winter.

• Like 6

I took a rest day yesterday, then did a 30 min run on the treadmill today. I've been gradually increasing my running speed without causing myself any injuries. I really like the short 30 min runs for this. My body can handle running almost every day, compared to about 3 days/week with longer outdoor runs. 

We got some snow on Sunday, but not enough for skiing yet. I can't wait to go cross-country skiing! 

• Like 3

Did upper body and my performance was disappointing except for the rows. It's only been 5 days since I last did upper body, but I was able to do only a fraction of what I had done last week. Maybe it was just a bad day in general.  :glare:

Tonight is Zumba, so that will be good. I'll get cardio & flexibility covered. 

• Like 3

This morning I did my kitchen mopping in a duck walk/low squat and hands and knees.

Walking today was mostly shopping although I did a touch of hill walking. 

This afternoon I did some ground movement, squats, and some upper body work. 

*I did some yoga yesterday with my 5 yo I forgot to mention, nothing strenuous but plenty of movement you don't stay in one place with that age. 

I really, really hope that I get some sleep tonight, I was feeling it today.

• Like 3