Menu

Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

lexi

We are doing it. I am very pleased with it. After we finished first language lessons up to book  4 we did Rod and Staff, it wasn't a good fit for DS14. He needed a workbook approach .  We then changed to Abeka, which we both disliked.

We are glad these books came out. We break the lessons up. FD only does one set of activities a day. so a lesson takes about 2-3 days. it suits him because of the workbook style. the sentence content so far is not to complex for Dyslexic ds to read. And the sentences are more interesting, not religious, a much better fit.

It takes us about 15 minutes a day, that includes me going over the lesson and ds doing the independent work. We are 13 lessons in. We do it 4 days a week. you can download the first few weeks of the book for free and give it a go.

DS 14 is just finishing 8th grade, profoundly dyslexic.

I am so glad these books came out.

I like it. Dc likes it. Grammar is getting done, and dc is retaining it. It takes 10-15 min. each lesson for the part we do together, then another 10-15 min. for dc to do the written exercises. Review sections are longer. There are no exams. It's scheduled for 4 days a week.

ETA:  My dc is in 8th and is a fast worker, so YMMV.  

Edited by klmama

We have been using it and I do like it. I feel like it is addressing the things I need.  I needed a grammar that also addressed mechanics.

We are slowing down and breaking up the lessons. Sometimes we break one lesson up over two days when our days are otherwise crazy.  We do it four days a week.

• 2 weeks later...

What age is this best for?  Could I combine my 5th grader with 7th grader?  We are using Easy Grammar 6 right now and hate it.  I loved Rod and Staff Grammar but can't use it (CA charter school).  I am not sure if I should place my 5th grader in FLL 4 or in this new program.  Thought this would be a good place to ask!  Sorry for taking over...:P 

I'm using it with a 5th grader.  We did FLL, all four levels.  We got a late start due to our move, so we just finished week 6.  I like it; it holds my hand with the script, and the exercises are clear.  The lessons take me about 15 minutes, and her about 25 by the time she does the exercises.  Dd finds the lessons easy, but the reviews hard.  I think it's going to be great for her.  

We're still enjoying it.  There are some random editing errors, but nothing that's a real problem.  One thing that did surprise me is how it calls the perfect tenses "perfect past," "perfect present," and "perfect future," instead of the usual "past perfect," "present perfect," and "future perfect."  Have you ever seen them elsewhere with the word "perfect" first?

We have been using it for a few weeks.  We break up some of the lessons - we basically work for 20mins, so we may get through a lesson, or we may get through 1/2 a lesson, or get through the teaching , but not all the exercises.  It varies from lesson to lesson.  We did all the FLL & it is good to have some background.  My son is Grade 5.  We will continue to use this.  I feel it is a step up from FLL, whether it is presented in a more mature way - not sure exactly, but we don't mind the programme and so far, so good!