Menu

Books for Younger Advanced Readers?

serinat

My eldest, who just turned six, is reading like a fiend. I can't keep her supplied in books. I'm running out of stuff that is challenging, yet contains appropriate subject matter for a six-year-old. Can you help me?

She has read a lot, so I won't list it all here. (For example, she'll read through one Little House book, by Laura Ingalls Wilder, during her 1-2 hour afternoon rest time.) I'm thinking there are others who would benefit from a list like this, so suggest away.

My oldest is almost 7. Here's some of our hits:

Freddy the Pig series by Brooks (starts with Freddy Goes to Florida)

Dick King Smith

Far Flung Adventures series

Edge Chronicles series

Fire Thief Trilogy by Terry Deary

Larklight and Starcross by Philip Reeve

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Arabel's Raven series by Joan Aiken

Horrible Histories, Horrible Science and Murderous Maths

Jenny and the Cat Club series

Edward Eager

E. Nesbit

Wizard of Oz series

John Bellairs

Palace of Laughter and The Tiger's Egg by Berkley

Paddington series

Greene Knowe Series (first is Children of Green Knowe... these are a little scary) by L.M. Boston

Nurse Matilda books

Sisters Grimm series

Eleanor Cameron

Helen Cresswell, especially her Bagthorpe series

Roald Dahl

Spiderwick Chronicles

Sammy Keyes mystery series

Hank the Cowdog series

Eleanor Estes (esp. Moffats series and Pye series)

Eleanor Farjeon

Jules Feiffer

The Great Brain

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Swallows and Amazons series

Cornelia Funke

Tintin, Asterix, Bone

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Hawking

Polly Horvath

Bunnicula series

Professor Branestawm series

Moomin novels by Tove Jansson

There are others on my LibraryThing (link in my sig). I've only made it through "J" here. Not all books there will be suitable, as I purchase ahead and DD the Elder is not a terribly sensitive reader. We also get tonnes of books from the library, but I can't keep up with her and so haven't kept track of those.

Folktales, Fairy tales, myths:

Grimm

John Bierhorst's collections

Neil Philip's collections

Frances Carpenter's collections

Andrew Lang (coloured fairy books)

Geraldine McCaughrean

Judy Sierra

Padraic Colum

just about every collection I could get from the library

Edited by nmoira

My dd6 is the same way. I've been trying to keep her away from the Bobbsey Twins -- seems like my mother has an endless supply for her to borrow....

She does like the Burgess Bird Book for Children.

Also, The Wonder Clock by Howard Pyle. The writing is a little more difficult, but the stories are intriguing, so she will take the time to read more slowly and go over them again to get the full meaning.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll be checking out all of these good suggestions, too.

Take care,

Suzanne

Veritas Press 1st-3rd grade literature is a guide we use.

Milly Molly Mandy

Elsie Dinsmore Series

Grandma's Attic Series

If you're looking for Christian Content, Abeka has several Christian Novels for their "book reports" that could be helpful.

I also believe there is a new Pixie/Fairy series I've seen at Borders, although I haven't had cause to read one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an accelerated learner, so I don't read here often, but I happened across your post, serinat.

Maybe you haven't seen the 1000 Good Books List from the old Classical Homeschoolers site.

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

If your library has an online function, you can easily tab back and forth to see what you can pick up locally, and what you can request through inter-library loan.

It might save you some cash and some energy trying to think up titles.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you tried Secret Seven or Famous Five and other Enid Blyton books? Pollyanna is good, my dd read that. Unfortunately my dd will only read Rainbow Magic books:confused: just atm so I'm out of ideas.

:iagree:DD loves Secret Seven and Famous Five. It's too bad that they can't easily be purchased in the US.

Cathy

It's too bad that they can't easily be purchased in the US.

Rather than purchasing them, you might try to see if they are in a library near to you. Alternatively, you could try to obtain them through inter-library loan. I like to use the advanced search function on World Cat to locate books of interest. You'll need to enter your zipcode as you go through the search function.

Regards,

Kareni

There have been lots of great suggestions here. Hopefully, you'll find something she hasn't read.

I have to say though, that you may not be able to find books that challenge her and are appropriate for 6 year olds. I have never seen a book at a 12th grade reading level and with a 1st grade topic! As long as she continues to read the "4th to 8th" grade genre, her reading level will continue to improve anyway, especially older books that haven't been "updated."

If you really want to challenge her, you may have better luck with non-fiction, which may or may not interest her but is less likely to be inappropriate, and periodicals, which are of questionable appropriateness at her reading level.

My son reads a lot of non fiction. He has a passionate interest in trains and quite a collection of train manuals and guides.I don't know what the reading level of these books is but they are written for adults. He also reads a lot about dinosaurs and dogs. Most of the dinosaur books that he has are written for adults to read with children.

My dd has read Anne of Green Gables this year as well, while there were some concepts in this that went over her head she thoroughly enjoyed the story.

Here is a series of books by Eleanor Cameron, in order:

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet

Stowaways to the Mushroom Planet

Mr. Bass's Planetoid

Mystery for Mr. Bass

Time and Mr. Bass

My son also liked Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series:

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wind in the Door

A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Many Waters

Thanks for posting this thread. I have the same sort of situation. My now eight year old read all the Harry Potter books when he was seven and just finished the Eragon series. Now he's asking to read the Twilight books and I have the issue where content at that reading level for popular books isn't appropriate for him.

• 2 months later...