Menu

Typing program for fairly speedy hunt-and-peck 11 yo

Dd11 loves to write. I introduced her to Dancemat typing at the same age as her older sister, but by that time she was already hunting and pecking fairly quickly. After that, Typing.com really frustrated her because she kept trying to go for speed and sacrificed finger position to do it. Then I dropped the ball for a couple years and she got even faster, but I feel like I need to teach her properly, especially because she loves writing and her future career will probably involve writing.

Anyone else succeed at reteaching a middle grade child who was fairly quick at hunt-and-peck but needed to learn proper positioning and technique? Would love any recommendations for programs that appeal to older children and don't jump too quickly to speed drills. She does love animals, so a program with cute animal graphics for younger kids just might work. 

Thanks,

Amy

Edited by Acadie

If she mostly does hunt-and-peck then what you really need to do is get a plain keyboard cover that conceals the letters on the keys.

Brilliant--I had no idea! 

If anyone knows of a program that might appeal to older kid with our new keyboard cover, please let me know :)

Amy

Brilliant--I had no idea!

If anyone knows of a program that might appeal to older kid with our new keyboard cover, please let me know :)

Amy

This is so old school, but it was exactly what I was looking for. It's actually a book! I didn't want to use a computer program. We use it with our keyboard cover, and my 11 year old is doing well. It's totally how I learned to type on an electric typewriter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1576907643?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

• Like 2

Thank you so much, everyone--I can't believe what a relief it is to hear your suggestions and solutions! Apparently this is one of those unresolved issues that was a background stressor in my life, and I'm ridiculously happy to have practical ways to approach it. 

Also, dd11 was not on board for trying something new until I showed her how fast I can type without looking at the screen or the keyboard. She was blown away by this superpower and, as a writer, wants the same for herself.

Now I'm thinking I need to send all my unresolved issues to the Hive for speedy and practical resolution :)

Amy 

• Like 4