Menu

I only used MFW for two years. It's been a few years, but I don't recall it having vocabulary or questions.

I called them this morning and the first person didn't know and the second person said they don't consider that age appropriate until middle school. I'm glad to know that because I do want that kind of stuff included, so that helps me in deciding whether or not MFW would be a good fit, if we decide to return to traditional homeschooling.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Heart of Dakota? The guide includes questions to check for comprehension along with a "key idea" note. The ideas are also cemented through oral and written narrations. It doesn't include vocabulary in the history guide, but if you use their Drawn into the Heart of Reading literature program it does include worksheets for the student to write down unfamiliar words and instructs them to look them up in the dictionary.  

No, but they may in the high school level. Their "family cycle" is geared for many ages, so they don't break it down into discussion questions for each level. They do give some questions for the Children's Homer in CTG. otherwise, vocabulary would be covered in its own program in English from the Roots Up in CTG and RTR. There is no help with discussion questions in history or definitely from the literature. I use review questions from the Story of the World AG, and for grades 7-8 they recommend doing two Progeny Press guides per year, which would do that for you. You could add the PP guides in earlier grades as well if you wanted.

• Like 1

Does the instructor's guide for MFW include discussion questions and vocabulary for the readings?

I have downloaded the samples and I don't see that kind of stuff included, like it is for Sonlight.

My middle kids are using MFW.  No, there aren't discussion questions and vocab in the Teacher's Manual.  Sometimes, the books themselves will have a question/answer section at the end of a chapter or section.  But, MFW suggests going through 2 Progeny Press literature guides per year after 6th grade.  So, this year, dd12 did the Progeny Press lit guide for Island of the Blue Dolphins and Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  The lit guides had vocab, discussion questions, literary analysis, suggestions for extra activities (like find this island in an atlas) and questions you can use for writing assignments.

The MFW Teacher's Manual is more a weekly and daily schedule, booklist for the book basket time, instructions for scheduled labs/activities, etc.  Separate from the TM is all the student pages (worksheets, printouts for activities, etc).

Hope that helps!