Menu

Gah! I threw my back out

Barb_

Cool, thanks. I ordered a heating pad--I guess I could've bought one locally but the thought of getting in and out of the car makes me grumble.

It may be the mattress, actually. I've been sleeping on a pretty crappy rental mattress for the past 15 months and have developed a sore shoulder and wrist pain and numbness on that side, but not like this.

ETA: That's a new one. I was trying to quote another poster but accidentally deleted my original post. I got some good answers though so I'm just going to leave it.

Hugs. Have a good day, everyone.

Edited by Barb_

I've done this about three times in my life, in exactly the way you did it.  I think I used ice initially, but after some time, heat felt best.  And yes, take something like Motrin.  But the BEST thing for me was to lie flat on my back on the hardest surface I could tolerate and still find comfortable.  Each time I injured my back like that, this was the thing that helped the most.  So, I set up a bed on our living room floor, and even slept there.  It's okay to have your head on a pillow, and your knees bent up if that helps;  the main thing is to have the support of something straight and firm against your back, and to stay in that position for as long as you can.  And try not to move around a lot, lift things, etc. when you do get up.

I never really knew what happened to my back when that happened!  Only that this is what fixed it.  (And it would take a few days to fix it, and a few more days still as it continued to heal.)

That's the reason I eventually got a super firm mattress, because this happened three times in a handful of years.  Since getting the super firm mattress I haven't had it happen.

• Like 2

I threw out my back while SLEEPING once.  Still not sure how I did that.

I was in so much pain, I wound up going to the doctor for muscle relaxers and pain stuff.  Turns out it was more my ribs that were affected than back, per se, but the pain made it so I couldn't tell where the original pain was. 

Chiropractor can also help, but maybe not at this acute stage. 

Gentle hugs. 

• Like 1

I did this about 2 months ago. I determined (after reading online and talking with my husband who had a herniated disk) that it was a herniated disk (very common). The only thing to do was stretch and use it. I did (and am still doing) these stretches every day when I first got up.

https://www.backauthority.com/herniated-disc-exercises/

I actually did them 2-3 more times throughout the day during the first month. I hope it's not a herniated disk! I'm still dealing with mine, although I am almost back to normal. I've been doing my normal exercise routine again for about three weeks, but I still feel the pain slightly when I bend over and when I get up in the morning.

• Like 1

I did this about 2 months ago. I determined (after reading online and talking with my husband who had a herniated disk) that it was a herniated disk (very common). The only thing to do was stretch and use it. I did (and am still doing) these stretches every day when I first got up.

https://www.backauthority.com/herniated-disc-exercises/

I actually did them 2-3 more times throughout the day during the first month. I hope it's not a herniated disk! I'm still dealing with mine, although I am almost back to normal. I've been doing my normal exercise routine again for about three weeks, but I still feel the pain slightly when I bend over and when I get up in the morning.

Yes! It's worst when bending. Walking upright or using the stairs-no pain at all. But then I forget and bend or lift the opposite leg and then I'm out of commission the rest of the day. I've been using a back roller as a trigger-point release in the morning and that helps immensely.

Ah well, age. Lol

• Like 1