Menu

Anti depressants for young teen

bethben

We’re not there yet, but ds’s therapist has mentioned anti-depressants. To add to he mix, he most likely has a processing disorder so we have a double whammy going on with him. His mood is not moody most of the time at home so we’re holding off for a while but we’re looking into them. Anyone have a young teen on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I  would consider 5htp first.  it is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter. Its precursor is tryptophan - breaks down to 5htp and melatonin.  I don't break it down very well.

check his weight for a max. dose.  I take considerably more than the bottle says - but still under the max dose.  (my dr told me what it was.)

for my aspie (he's now 12) - he has been on a cocktail of ashwaghanda (high concentration of withaniloids) and bacopa (they work together) for several years to help with his anxiety.  it's been amazing.).   we've only recently started him on actual (non-stimulant) rx to help with his distraction.  he also has a processing disorder.

for the processing (is it auditory processing disorder?  there are three kinds.)  He takes, among other things, 1200 mgs  of fish oil.  His is centered in the corpus callosum. (hence the fish oil with essential fatty acids.) It's diagnosed by an audiologist.  there is also therapy depending upon area - dudeling now utterly refuses to cooperate.  I understand - it's hard. I'm doing it with him - I know just how hard it is.

eta: I would also look at his d3 level (should be >50), and a GOOD QUALITY b-complex.  both can make a huge difference for mood.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Generic Prozac has been absolutely miraculous for DS18 (ASD-1 and GAD). I would go so far as to say it's been life changing. He's been on it since he was 16 with fabulous results. He has gained some weight, but for him that was a very welcome side effect. My only regret is that we waited so long to get him started on something. Although I guess 16 doesn't count as a young teen.

• Like 2

If the brain chemistry needs tweaking with medication, no amount of exercise/sleep/diet will help.  Son has depression and other issues, and while he (and many folks with depression at times) can hide his symptoms for a time and "look" ok to outsiders, he is not ok inside.   Is the therapist a medical doctor (psychiatrist?). 

When ds was younger he was on generic Celexa, the doc. (this was a pediatric neurologist)  said it was safer for the younger teens.  Adult son with autism has been on it since weaning off Depakote (weaning off which can lead to depression) but is weaning off it by December.  Other son is still on a cocktail of anti depressants and other meds. 

If his brain needs  meds to help him feel more himself and function, don't hesitate to try them.  If they do not help, try a different med or tweak dosage.  It can take months to get the correct med/dosage.  If nothing improves, try something else.  If he had cancer, you'd try chemo, right?  Or a broken limb, you'd get it set.  Sometimes the body needs more than exercise/sleep/diet changes.   It just can be hard to think of the brain that way.

Good luck!!!

'

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 6

Processing disorder in that he is unaware of his emotions/ wants/ desires.  His therapist says it's like he's walking in a world where he doesn't understand the language.  He knows he should, but can't figure out why he doesn't.  So, he's showing signs of depression, but has absolutely no idea why.  Right now, we're waiting (per the therapist's recommendations) so I'll try some vitamins in the meantime.  

If the brain chemistry needs tweaking with medication, no amount of exercise/sleep/diet will help.  Son has depression and other issues, and while he (and many folks with depression at times) can hide his symptoms for a time and "look" ok to outsiders, he is not ok inside.   Is the therapist a medical doctor (psychiatrist?). 

When ds was younger he was on generic Celexa, the doc. (this was a pediatric neurologist)  said it was safer for the younger teens.  Adult son with autism has been on it since weaning off Depakote (weaning off which can lead to depression) but is weaning off it by December.  Other son is still on a cocktail of anti depressants and other meds. 

If his brain needs  meds to help him feel more himself and function, don't hesitate to try them.  If they do not help, try a different med or tweak dosage.  It can take months to get the correct med/dosage.  If nothing improves, try something else.  If he had cancer, you'd try chemo, right?  Or a broken limb, you'd get it set.  Sometimes the body needs more than exercise/sleep/diet changes.   It just can be hard to think of the brain that way.

Good luck!!!

'

We're not opposed to medication and agree with the above.  For now, I'm just discussing the possibility/eventuality with his pediatrician today and we'll just wait and see how the counseling and vitamin routine goes for now.   

• Like 1

I agree with watching the D3 levels. That can be part of the puzzle.

If you do decide on medication, keep in mind that not all pediatricians are good at managing medications that way, particularly if your kid is prone to side effects. You need to be looking into a pediatric psychiatrist for medication management if that doesn't work out. In our area, they have long waiting lists, sometimes 3-4 months long. The counsellor may be able to make a case and get you in sooner by calling the psychiatrist, but most just tell you to wait.

• Like 1

If you do decide on medication, keep in mind that not all pediatricians are good at managing medications that way, particularly if your kid is prone to side effects. You need to be looking into a pediatric psychiatrist for medication management if that doesn't work out. In our area, they have long waiting lists, sometimes 3-4 months long. The counsellor may be able to make a case and get you in sooner by calling the psychiatrist, but most just tell you to wait.

We have an appointment with a psychologist, but yes, it is a long wait.  We're scheduled for March.  I am starting him on D vitamins while we do the wait and see for medication.

We have an appointment with a psychologist, but yes, it is a long wait. We're scheduled for March. I am starting him on D vitamins while we do the wait and see for medication.

Do you mean psychiatrist? Psychologists do not prescribe medication in most places.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Do you mean psychiatrist? Psychologists do not prescribe medication in most places.

You need the MD for meds - and if the therapist/ped/parent all agree to try them, I would get a psychiatrist or neurologist well versed in kids/young teen on board, not just the pediatrician.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

You need the MD for meds - and if the therapist/ped/parent all agree to try them, I would get a psychiatrist or neurologist well versed in kids/young teen on board, not just the pediatrician.

Not everyone has those options in their area. Our closest ped psychiatrist is 3 hours away and only takes new patients who have been discharged from his inpatient facility.

He does consult with pediatricians by phone so that the person feel more comfortable managing psych meds.

• Like 1

THIS!!!

those can be enough if it is mild.  no way if it's deeper.

I have one who was on antidepressants (combination) for five years.  tried other things with a neurologist, UNTIL the d3 level got up into adequate territory - NOTHING worked well enough.

• Like 1

We put my daughter on antidepressants for severe anxiety at FIVE years of age.  Barely five, even.  I was super reluctant, but it was the best parenting move we've ever made.  We've tried to wean her off them a few times, but it's never gone well.  Given she's got severe anxiety from both parents and at least two grandparents, she was a ticking time bomb for it.

We have an appointment with a psychologist, but yes, it is a long wait.  We're scheduled for March.  I am starting him on D vitamins while we do the wait and see for medication.

That's about average here for an adolescent psychiatrist. The one the ped doc recommended was six months. The clinical psychologist pulled some strings, and the superstar she liked for adults had just hired a partner who had done his residency in adolescent psychiatry that we decided to try. We waited all of a month. We adore him, and now he actually has a long wait too. 

Sometimes you just hit it!

So, doctor is suggesting a psychiatrist which may be a bit of a wait just because we have some family history things with mental health we have to be conscious of. The pediatrician had a teen just recently commit suicide after starting anti-depressants (first time in 22 years of practice), so he’s choosing to err on the side of conservative just due to other factors we have going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk