Menu

Problems with isolating sounds in AAR Pre-level

ExcitedMama

Does anyone know if the AAR forum is still around? It was helpful to me when I had any questions when DS was using AAR but now I can't find it.

DD is having trouble with some of the exercises for AAR Pre that involve isolating sounds, like telling me the first or last sound of a word. Any ideas how to help her?

Ironically she used to be really good at breaking up words when DS wasn't as good at spelling. I'd ask him to sound it out and she'd start doing it. He hasn't needed that for awhile and it looks like she's forgotten how great she used to be at it.

Can she tell you the sound of a single tile without any hesitation?  If not, I'd hang out there, and work on rhyming words.

Can she do sequences of vowels/hard consonants like

am

em

im 

om

um

*or*

ba

sa

ra

da

fa

Some of my children hung out for a long time at that level of understanding.  My kid, born in 2012 also, is there right now also, and I'm not especially worried. We just keep working on letter sounds, I model non-sense words, we play rhyming games, and we work on handwriting.

• Like 1

I'm not the one to ask. We loved AAR pre as far as Ziggy, the organization, the games, the charms. But it quickly became apparent ds flat couldn't do the tasks with the amount of instruction included, instruction that apparently was adequate for most kids. He was later diagnosed as dyslexic. 

• Like 1

What exactly is she doing? If she's giving you incorrect sounds, I would strongly encourage you to have full audiology booth testing (NOT the screening at the pediatrician's office). My youngest child's high frequency hearing loss was discovered when she was mixing up consonants when learning to decode.

Chances are her hearing is fine, but mild or partial loss is common enough that all children who experience reading struggles IMHO should be tested.

• Like 2

We are on the lowercase letters so we haven't gotten to the third time around the alphabet with the letter sounds. She's not giving incorrect sounds but she has a hard time with the task. Like I was supposed to say wheat and she's supposed to say the last sound or in a different activity the first sound. She can't do it. I've been doing it very slowly but she still doesn't seem ready. She's doing pretty well with syllables but the beginning and ending sounds are hard for her. I know when I did it with DS he didn't get everything at first but caught on later so I haven't been too concerned about her not getting things but now I'm wondering if I need to start doing more outside of the exercises to help her get it. I'm not sure what I could do for that?

Can she give you a word that starts with a specific sound or letter?

If you say, "Tell me a word that starts with the /mmmm/ sound", can she come up with one?

What about if you ask for a word that starts with an s?

I might play games with those concepts for a while before trying the AAR activities again.

Also, I would have her give you words and ask you for the beginning, middle, or ending sounds.  This would give you a chance to model stretching out a word to hear the sounds.  If she inadvertently gives you "trick" words (ie shine or knee) then I would just phrase my answer carefully..."Let me listen - shhhh i nnnn - the last sound in shine is n."  If she gives you long words, I would play along, because that it a great opportunity for her to listen for sounds along with you.  If she asks for the middle sound in the word dinosaur, I would say it slowly, comment to myself that I hear a d at the beginning, then I clearly hear an i next, than an n, then an o, then an s, (I would ignore the au), and then it ends with an r.

Wendy

• Like 1

Students | Barton  A 5 yo ought to be able to pass the Barton student screening. If you're needing to add stuff, that's concerning. 

Fwiw, I did take my ds for an audiology exam before I got him diagnosed. He had some other weird things too (not responding, etc.), but we definitely felt like it was an explanation at least to eliminate. Around here the university will do a hearing eval for just $35.

• Like 1

She's newly 5 as of last month. She can give words with sounds because I've tried to incorporate the sounds with letters. It would be easier for her to tell me a word that starts with M than to tell me the first or last sound in milk. We have dyslexics in my extended family and so far I'm not concerned about that. They had troubles with even letters so I'm thinking that's not what's going on.