Menu

The most boring job in the world

Daria

DS18 has a new job.  It's with a great company with growth potential in a field he's very interested in. But it's also incredibly boring.  He's a lifeguard at a pool with 2 lanes, that's 4.5 feet deep, and that doesn't allow swimmers under 18.  So, there's not much policing of behavior, or adrenalin involved.  So far, the only place he's "rescued" was a swimmer who forgot their locker combination, and needed him to call maintenance.  It's a salt water pool, so there are no chemicals to monitor. 

To make matters worse, the pool's in the basement, so no natural light, the room is warm, there's soft muzak piped in, and they have provided him with a couch instead of a lifeguard chair.  And his shift starts at 5:00 a.m..  Oh, and this is my kid who was tested for narcolepsy a few years ago because of excessive daytime sleepiness.

Last week, he got in trouble for falling asleep on the job.  On Saturday, (the one day he works in the p.m.) he walked in to hear the lifeguard on the shift before him getting in trouble for falling asleep on the job.  

His current strategies is to be such a friendly employee that he gets promoted to the front desk, and in the meantime  to walk laps around the pool.  At his break today he texted that he's walked 198 laps so far, and he's halfway through. But, my guess is that that will get old fast.   

I'm someone with insomnia who can only fall asleep when circumstances are perfect.  I need a dark room, silence, right temperature, etc . . . So, I'm not good at offering suggestions.  Any ideas for staying awake?

Um I would not want my lifeguard knitting or doing anything else.  

That is not ok. 

I was a guard and yes it is really hard to stay awake.  I had shifts like his starting at 5 in the morning.  Early morning, warm room and sitting.   

Have him keep walking laps.  Getting paid to get in shape. 

If he can't stay awake it isn't the job for him.  Hopefully they can move him to something else.  

• Like 4

Someone clearly isn't thinking about the life guards' needs. They need to avoid the couch! I think he should ask for a hard chair or take in a folding chair of his own for his shifts. A cold drink might refresh him, if he has time for bathroom breaks. A personal, battery- operated fan could also help him cool down and give him something to do with his hands.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yes I think he needs to walk as much as he can.  Maybe he could bring (or request) something to sit on that is not so comfy.  Something you could not possibly fall asleep on.  One of those big exercise balls?

I had a factory job that was 12 hour night shifts, doing the same exact thing over and over.  I kept my sanity by singing every song I knew and walking/dancing around the entire time.

Could he ask for better music to be piped in?  Or no music, so he could bring his own?

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Last week, he got in trouble for falling asleep on the job.  On Saturday, (the one day he works in the p.m.) he walked in to hear the lifeguard on the shift before him getting in trouble for falling asleep on the job.  

If one guard is falling asleep, there is a problem with the guard.  If all the guards are falling asleep, there is a problem with the faciilty.  Most pools that I know of (granted, which are larger), force the guards to rotate every 15 minutes, because it is impossible to concentrate on this potentially life-saving job for any longer than that.  How often does he get a break?

• Like 6

If one guard is falling asleep, there is a problem with the guard.  If all the guards are falling asleep, there is a problem with the faciilty.  Most pools that I know of (granted, which are larger), force the guards to rotate every 15 minutes, because it is impossible to concentrate on this potentially life-saving job for any longer than that.  How often does he get a break?

There may not be enough fresh air / oxygen.

I used to be a swimmer, swim teacher, and sometimes lifeguard, and now cannot be around pools especially indoor ones, due to chemicals including  salt water pools which, unlike the ocean, seem to work by the salt breaking down to provide the chlorine needed by law in many places.  At least that is how they work in the nearest city to where I am, and by law if the chlorine goes too low, more is added to bring it up to code.

How often does he get a break, and also how long is his shift?

I would also think a chair that does not incline to sleeping and an audio book (probably no earbuds) to listen to while scanning the pool might help.  And maybe a timer that dings every 5 or 10 minutes to keep alertness and signal time to walk a lap.

• Like 1

Does he have to sit in the lifeguard chair at all time? If not he should get up and do some stretches or other quick exercise at least once an hour. I also like the idea of an audio book with only one earbud.

Are there other pools with this company so he can maybe aspire to a more active one? It's good that he at least has a plan to try and get a promotion. Poor kid. That does sound quite boring.

So, my understanding is that in our state there are 2 types of lifeguards.  One type is lifeguards who are actually there to watch the pool and prevent drownings.  They sit in special chairs, in bathing suits, with flotation devices and whistles, and they rotate every 15 or 30 minutes, something like that.  The other type I will call a pool babysitter.  They can work for many hours straight, because they aren't "technically" watching the pool.  The pool usually has a sign saying "no lifeguard on duty".  He's the latter.  He works 6 hours straight.  By law someone capable of calling 911 must be in the room, so if he needs a bathroom break he is supposed to call for a maintenance staff to come and relieve him.  

He's going to ask if he can wear one bluetooth earbud, and listen to audible, or if he can study.  That would make a difference.

• Like 1

Does he have to sit in the lifeguard chair at all time? If not he should get up and do some stretches or other quick exercise at least once an hour. I also like the idea of an audio book with only one earbud.

Are there other pools with this company so he can maybe aspire to a more active one? It's good that he at least has a plan to try and get a promotion. Poor kid. That does sound quite boring.

The company has 3 gyms in our city, but I think the pools are all about the same, and given that he doesn't drive this is far and away the most convenient.  

He's staying on his feet, walking around the pool most of the time, but walking laps around a little pool isn't that interesting either.